BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3259552

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)
Hawaiimike - 2010-12-23 3:23 PM

Name:  Mike

Background: 
Moved to the Big Island of Hawaii 7 years ago.  I was active when I was younger.  After moving out here I fell into a pattern of eating (got up to 230 on my 5'9 frame), smoking a pack and a half a day, and drinking heavy about 5 nights a week.  I finally quit working a side job at a bar and that helped alot, but the weight was still there.  Finally decided a year and a half ago to address the weight situation and started working out and doing Les Mills classes at The Club in Kona.  I was having trouble with my leg strength so I started the spinning class they offer.  Thats when I remembered how much I liked biking as a kid.  Eventually, I got a bike back in July of this year, and witht he friends I made from working out, I found a great riding group which opend me up to other more positive social circles than I had been in before.  4 of the people on the ride this past Saturday are Kona finishers.  I came to realize that I have the opportunity to run/swim/ride on the course of the championship of this sport everyday, and have a base of support. 

Family Status: 
Married 13 years, no kids

Current Training:
Biking 2-3 times a week, slowly building up my running while switching to the pose method.

This years races:
A few 10k's, bike and run portion of an olympic distance race (Lavaman Keauhou). 

Next years race:

Lavaman Waikoloa April 3.  Assuming that goes OK, Honu Half Ironman

Weightloss:

Once I get a six-pack, I'll just maintain, whatever number that is.

Goals for 2011:

Complete those 2 races, and one marathon, as well as the usual feast of local 10k's.

Hi Mike,
Congrats on the weight loss and the healthier life style!
And how cool is it that you get to be with Kona finishers!

2010-12-26 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3259863

User image

Veteran
Maryland
melbel1038 - 2010-12-23 8:01 PM Hi!  Can I join?  I like fun too.  You made me LOL a couple of times on the forum. 

Name:  Melanie

Background: 

I'm 37 years old, married with 2 kids.  My husband and I own a technology company (web development and IT) called IntegrityNETworx here in Naples, FL and are entering our 10th year of being in business.  I founded the company in 2001 when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter as a way to stay home with her.  10 years later we have 3 employees and my husband was able to leave his full time job in 2006 to work with me.  Due to the stress of being self employed and pregnancies, I put on about 50 lbs over 8 years.  I also suffered from depression.  After a year of therapy I started feeling motivated to lose weight in mid 2009.  In May of 2009, I started making small changes in my diet and started walking.  Then I started running a little bit.  I found that I enjoyed it.  I signed up for a 5k in Sept 2009 and it took 44 minutes to complete it (running LOL).  But I kept signing up for them.  Having that carrot out in front of me motivated me to continue running.  Then I got interested in triathlon.  By December of last year I had lost about 50 lbs.  I hired a tri coach and I started working with him in January.  I worked with him throughout 2010 and completed 5 races plus a handful of 5k's and 10k's.  My 5k has come down to about 27 minutes since that first one in 9/2009.  Pretty happy with that improvement. I lost about another 10lbs in 2010 as well.  I went from a size 16 at my biggest to my current size 2.  I have never been this fit in my life or had this much energy.  I am finding that pushing myself constantly beyond my comfort zone in training and in races has given me so much confidence that it is crossing over to other areas of my life:  business, socially and in family life. 

Family Status:
Married 13 years, 2 kids ages 4 and 9

Current Training:
6 days a week typically 2x each but I'd like to do 3x each soon.  Right now I'm not swimming because it's cold and we don't have indoor pools in South Florida.  I know that sounds really weird.  People up north can swim year round because they have indoor pools, but not in South Florida LOL!  I'm also focusing on my first half marathon that is in 2 weeks.

This years races:
Danskin Sprint (all women), Naples Sprint, Longleaf Sprint, Englewood Sprint, Miami Man International Distance

Next years race:
Naples Daily News Half Marathon 1/16, Hooters to Hooters Half Marathon March, Danskin Sprint May, Naples Sprint June, An Oly August or Sept, Miami Man HIM November

Weightloss:

60 lbs since May 2009

Goals for 2011:
Focus on performance for the Sprints and Oly.  Finish HIM decently.  More time in saddle.  Better swim technique.

Wow! Amazing job!
~Pauline
2010-12-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

Montana

Hey there just checking in to see if you're at your max number yet? I'd love to join in the fun if you've got room for one more!

2010-12-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3261269

User image

Veteran
Maryland
tri808 - 2010-12-25 2:19 PM
DirkP - 2010-12-24 4:34 PM Here is a list of everyone in the group so far.  We are just waiting on pdc33 to get his profile on here with a name.

J - tri808
Mike - Hawaiimike
John H - Jilah
Sue - drsues
Melanie - melbel1038
Eric - neuronet
Mindy - swimmindy
Hamlet - PrinceofDenmar
Jarrod - Garrunning
- pdc33
Sabrina - Sawood2007
Roy / Roydavis33060

Thanks for the list Dirk.

I appologize in advance that I am horrible with remembering names.  It will take me a little while, but I promise to get the hang of it.  In the mean time, if you don't want me to address you as your "handle/screen name", please end your post with your name.  HawaiiMike, swimmindy, and DirkP being the exceptions....

~J

Can anyone add their pic, or do you have to be a paying member? It's been a while since I've been on the site and I was thinking it was the later.
~Pauline
2010-12-26 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3262342

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I think anyone can a pic.  All the way at the top of the page under "settings" then "account settings" then "profile image"

2010-12-26 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
went for a run a while ago, no trail this time, road. leg felt fine, a tiny little pain just noticeable because I was looking for it, other than that it was great, weather is dropping, high 30s. (that is cold for us).

2010-12-26 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Would love to get in this group if there's still room.
2010-12-26 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
it still says open...so I hope you can get in.
2010-12-27 1:31 AM
in reply to: #3261821

User image

Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)

Wow...people have been active today...which is great.  Looks like we got a lot of new members as well.

If you requested in before this message...you're in...but I'm going to have to close the group up for now.  If you decide later that you want to try a different group, by all means do so, but just let me know so I can possibly let in another person.

My PC has been acting up, so I'll try to respond to as much as possible.

2010-12-27 1:38 AM
in reply to: #3261821

User image

melbel1038 - 2010-12-26 6:21 AM Gosh all you young'ns are beginning to make me feel old

Yesterday I took some "me" time and rode my bike up to starbucks (12 miles each way).  Was a nice diversion.  Everything and everyone were exactly how I left them LOL when I returned.  Then today I did 11 mile run.  I have a half mary in 3 weeks.  Today felt good.

As far as my training plan goes, I'm feeling a bit lost right at the moment.  I had a coach all of 2010 and can no longer afford him.  Happy I had him while I did because I feel like I learned a lot, but for now I gotta do this on my own.  Since about Thanksgiving I've been focusing on running for the half marathon.  Have not been swimming at all.  I think my last swim was about 3 weeks ago, maybe longer since it's been coldish here in SW FL (I know I won't get much sympathy LOL).  Have been riding once or twice a week.  I plan to choose and start a BT plan the last week if January.  I'm not really sure what plan I should choose, because I'm currently riding and running at the distances I did for the Miami Man Olympic in November.  I have another half marathon in March.  My first 2 tri's are sprints in May and June and the only other firm plans after that are Miami Man again (as a HIM) in November.  I'd like to fit an Oly in there somewhere, but I haven't found a good one yet in Florida for Aug or Sept.  Anyway so looking at plans and I don't know if from now until June I should do some Oly plan with longer runs worked in for my half marathons (even though I don't technically have an Oly in mind yet) and then switch to a HIM plan around July?

I too am surprised by the "youth" in this group.  But age is just a number right?

As far as plans, I think the first thing a coach will ask you are

What are your goals?
What are your most important goals?
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?

Answer those 4 questions first, and it should give you an idea on what type of plan to choose.  Lets face it...we can't have everything.  I find that I do best when I focus on the one or two things I really want most...then let everything else fall where they may.
2010-12-27 1:43 AM
in reply to: #3261842

User image

Tripopo - 2010-12-26 6:49 AM If there is still space I'd like to join...

Name:  Tripopo/Kirk

Background:  I'm 29 and work in law enforcement and was transferred about a year ago to the bike patrol which I have been enjoying.  I am currently on a waiting list for a federal job and need something to keep me interested while trying to maintain physical fitness standards to be approved for hire.  I have no competitive race experience per say.  I grew up in the water as a competitive springboard diver, lifeguard, swim/dive instructor, beachgoer and avid angler.  The last year or so I have been running on a regular basis for the tests but haven't participated in any actual races, short foot races on the job not withstanding, due to being sidelined for kidney surgery.  I have a fairly strong base (I think) in all three sports just need to put them together.  My biggest hurdle will be road bikes and my schedule, rotating shifts random court appearences etc...  currently I ride a Trek mountain bike for work and have a 1984 trek 500 I took from my dad that I am tunning up, I have been trained as one of the bike mechanics for the Department so any questions about maintenace/fixes I might be able to help, until I can purchase a newer model... 

Family Status: 
Newlywed, she's a nurse who works nightshifts so me being out of the house on runs/rides during the day is beneficial to marital bliss

Current Training: Still maintaining and improving for the tests, chinups pushups situps plus sprints and runs,  and once I get my bike fully operational will start on that, not sure where to start on training, I average about 6-12 miles a week running and depending on the day anywhere from 10 to 30 miles on the bike at work, although not really in the "workout" style

2011 races:

Get to the Green 5k in Columbia SC  March 19th

Go Tri Sports at Hilton Head Island Sprint May 21

Tri the Midlands Triathlon (Sprint) June 25

Looking for an Olympic in my area as well

Weightloss:

Hovering around 180 (6"1') but would like to be closer to 170. 

Goals for 2011:

Complete a Sprint sub 1:30 and complete an Olympic

Welcome Kirk

I too was considering federal law enforcement (FBI) a few years ago and was familiar with their physical fitness tests.  I didn't actually pursue it though.

Anyway...my best initial advice is to build your running fitness through volume.  I think it's a 1.5 mile run if I'm not mistaken?  Either way...focus on running farther at an easy pace rather than trying to repeat the 1.5 mile test over and over again.  We can discuss this in more detail later...but there is a famous saying on this website about running.

Run more...mostly easy...sometimes hard.

2010-12-27 1:46 AM
in reply to: #3262072

User image

kristenv73 - 2010-12-26 11:16 AM Hello,  My name is Kristen. I would like to join this group if possible.  I am COMPLETELY new to triathlons.
Backround: I am 37 years old.  I am not married and have no children so I have tons of time to train.  I used to be a proffesional equestrian (rode jumpers)  so I thrive on training and competing.  After many injuries I retired from my equestrian career and went back to college to become a teacher.  Many surgeries and alot of time off gave my body time to heal but I also gained a ton of weight.  Over the past four months I have lost a good portion of the weight by altering my eating habits, quitting drinking, and working out daily.  I am starting to crave structured training and competition again so I thought I might try triathlons.  I am a very strong swimmer, ok on the bike, but a horrible runner.   I still have about 50lbs to go to be at my ideal weight so I am hoping once I get there running will be easier.  I live in Ohio so outdoor training is somewhat of a challenge right now. I do belong to a gym and do 45 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights every day.

So far my plans are to do a mini sprint in May, A sprint relay August 7 (I am swimming), and a sprint triatholon (I may try to do the regular tri if I can get fit enough)at the end of august.  I may try to do some indoor competitions in Feb. and May and add another triathlon mid summer.

I just need someone I can ask questions.  I have no idea what I am doing!!  I have started following a beginner trialthlon training schedule but it seems a bit too easy, except for the running.  Do you have any tips on how to make myself a better runner?  any ways to condition my body for running?  My surgeries were on my knee and ankle so I think the impact of running bothers me sometimes.  I am determined to work past it, I know I can!!!
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks

Welcome Kristin.

I saw that Dirk helped you out with your initial question and I agree.  I'll try to get back to you, but I'm just trying to get caught up on everything before getting to bed...LOL.
2010-12-27 1:52 AM
in reply to: #3262242

User image

luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-26 2:40 PM

Hi all!  I would like to join this group if possible.  I am very similar to Sue.

Name:  Norma

Story:  I am completely new to tris.  I've been batting the possibility of entering a sprint tri for more then a year.  I am 50 and very active; currently train in taekwondo and am a second degree black belt.  I also teach my own fitness class four days a week (a hybrid interval/total body workout class).  I've run many 5ks and some 10ks.  Haven't been able to wrap my mind around half or full marathons.  I run but I don't love it.  The thought of running long distances doesn't interest me.  I like to be challenged.  Like Sue, I am easily bored so I would not do well trying to slog through longer distances.  I am doing Warrior Dash in March as a challenge and hope to do a sprint tri in May in Austin and one in September in Tyler.  (If you haven't guessed, I live in Texas.)  I've purchased my bike - a Trek hybrid.  Took it out for the first time today, riding a little over 4 miles.  I realize I will have to build up on this because my crotch and shoulders are sore. Tongue out  Eating and weight are not issues.  I've been at the same weight for the past 5+ years.  Swimming is ok.  I can put my head in water if I have goggles.  I am not a trained swimmer, but can swim in open water with no problem.

Family Status:   Married, with 2 children, 18 & 14. 

Thanks for having this forum!

Welcome Norma,

As far as your new bike being uncomfortable, you may want to make sure your seat height is proper.  For hybrid bikes, there shouldn't be a lot of adjusting needed since they are designed to be comfortable...but a seat that is too high or low can cause some discomfort. 

If you are pedaling normally...at the bottom of each stroke, you should have a slight knee bend.  Maybe about 10 degrees.  You should never lock your knees at any point during the pedal stroke while seated.
2010-12-27 1:53 AM
in reply to: #3262334

User image

hollybushellehill - 2010-12-26 4:23 PM

Hey there just checking in to see if you're at your max number yet? I'd love to join in the fun if you've got room for one more!

You're in if you still want to.  Just post a bio.
2010-12-27 1:54 AM
in reply to: #3262382

User image

pistuo - 2010-12-26 5:31 PM Would love to get in this group if there's still room.

You bet...post a bio when you get the chance.
2010-12-27 2:04 AM

User image

Ok...now that the group is closed...I'll go over this one more time.

This is OUR group.  Not mine.  Anyone who wants to answer a question or share their experiences regarding a question is more than welcome to.  I'm not an expert...so I will count on everyone to chip in, and I think that adds to the fun of this group.   If you have any suggestions on topics...or how we should run this group...by all means...suggest away.  We will do this group how you guys want to do it.

The best way for me or anyone else to help you with your training is to log your workouts.  So take advantage of that if you can.  My logs are up to date as of about June 2009.  You wouldn't believe how many times I have gone back to my workouts in 2009 to see how I have progressed.

Looks like we've got about 20 members...so please try to end your posts with your name, or nickname...unless it's obvious from your screen name.  Unless you want to be referred to as your SN.

~J

2010-12-27 4:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Hey all! I had a sprint tri today! We were in a downpour in New Zealand so the roads were flooded pretty quickly, and the run was on packed dirt by the lakeside (which quickly became an epic muddy slip-n-slide). I can't say how I did, the results aren't up yet and there weren't any chips for timing... it was more of a casual "yell out your number when you exit T1 and when you enter T2" sort of business. Very casual!! But I had an insane amount of fun slipping, sliding, and generally rediscovering my racing passion! I had been overwhelmed by the ironman training the last few months and it was good to do a quick and dirty triathlon! 
It's got me excited for the upcoming big one!
How was everyone's weekend?  
2010-12-27 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3262452

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-27 6:52 AM

2010-12-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3262318

Veteran
Maryland
Rode the bike for 30 minutes and ran a 5K.

Great way to start the day!
2010-12-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3262513

2010-12-27 8:08 AM

Master
Fort Wayne
Krystyna,
Congrats on the race!  Make sure you let us know your results and post a race report so we can read all about it.  That sounds like an incredible race.  This must have been like some type of an Xterra race then.  I would like to try an off road tri sometime but I lack the real bike for it right now.  I have a lead sled I could use but it has to weigh 35lbs/15kg and its an OLD one too.

I have only done 2 races and both of then Oly's so I can't relate to going long.  I am planning at least one sprint in 2011 just to try it out.  I would like to see how I could handle (as J called it in the last group) "pain management."  I certainly have the fitness for the sprint distance but I don't know about handling all the pain.

Pauline,
Nice job on the ride and run!  This was a Brick workout then?  That's not exactly how I would like to start my day.  I have to slide into the brick kinda slowly.  ya know......sneak up on 'em.

Will,
Welcome to the group.  I was checking out you pics on your profile.  Where are they from?  Was this mission work?

Edited by DirkP 2010-12-27 8:14 AM
2010-12-27 9:58 AM

I was able to go on a short bike on Christmas (short meaning about 8 miles against wind), but the weather has been insane here since then.  Unfortunately I'm at my parents house with no gym access or my med ball and stuff.  It was raining sideways and the wind is keeping me off the bike today Cry.  I think we even got snow flurries yesterday (for Florida, that's pretty amazing).  I've been running up and down the stairs and my 18 month old niece is coming over later - meaning I'll get a good cardio in chasing her around.

~Mindy 
2010-12-27 10:26 AM

Hey all, hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!  Enjoyed 3 days off from training but will be back at it tonight.  We just got about a foot of snow, the school pools are closed and I need a new part for my trainer so it looks I’ll be hitting the treadmill tonight!    

2010-12-27 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3262477

melbel1038 - 2010-12-27 1:52 AM Updated...I hope I didn't miss anybody

tri808/Jason
Jilah/John H.
Hawaiimike/Mike
drsues/Sue
melbel1038/Melanie
neuronet/Eric
swimmindy/Mindy
Prince of Denmar./Hamlet
Garrunning/ Jarrod
Roydavis33060/ Roy
Sabrina / Sawood2007
dirkp / Dirk  
mparson76/Mark
bwanzer / Bryan
krystyna47/Krystyna
wynee2000
Tripopo/Kirk
kristenv73/Kristen
luv2bhealthy/Norma
pdc33/Pauline
hollybushellehill

Thanks for the list!  I think you got everyone
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45