BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-02 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3272592

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - CLOSED!
Sh it Brian, I thought you weren't gonna hang out w/ my group since you had your own! Tongue out

Meulen - 2011-01-02 11:56 AM Crap!!! I'm behind on the QOTD!!! First race: As of now my first race is the Christie Clinic Marathon on April 30th. However, I'm waiting for a Mountain Bike Series to come out with their 2011 race lists. I'm anticipating the Sylvan Island Stampede mountain bike race to be before the marathon. If it's 2 weeks or more before that will be my first race. My first tri will be Xterra Fort Custer on May 22. Fav discipline: The bike!!!!! I just love everything about cycling. I used to race motorcycles and being on the road just feels right to me. It's really cool to be on the road riding with friends or in the woods with friends having some friendly competition jumping over rocks or railing through some switchbacks. I just love it. Rachel, I'll let you in on a little secret about Jay. He loves to spend money on new toys!! especially bike related!! LOL Do you have a budget in mind for your new bike? I'm sure Jay could help you part with some cash!! LOL Personally, when I'm buying a road bike I like to follow these rules: 1. come up with a budget 2. get myself a bike fit at a reputable shop and see what bikes, geometry, work for my body type 3. look at what I can afford that has shiman 105 components, or equivilent SRAM/Campy, or better. 4. throw my budget out of the window and buy the most expensive bike in the shop. I'm only kidding about the last one. There are plenty bikes out there that are really solid bikes for reasonable price. I do like to stick to shimano 105 or equivilent though. To me it's worth spending a little extra money so I'm riding the bike all the time instead of working on it. You're going to be putting a lot of miles on the bike training. Bikes with cheaper components packages tend break or go out of tune more often. I'm sure if you share your budget with you Jay could help you out a little more on what to get. For the people with problems swimming: I'd just like to share my favorite website for swimming info. I've found nothing helps better than getting into a class, or masters swim, where a coach can see what your doing and work with you on technique. But I also like to do a lot of research and came across this site that may have some helpful info for you. www.swimsmooth.com Jay, I've found out that TI is holding classes a few times this year at the University of Chicago. I've read that once your stroke is established and your improvements are focusing more on strength through interval training that TI clinics aren't all that helpful. My swim coach is saying I have already established great technique and now it's about the swim strength. I thought you took one of these clinics, what's your opinion on that?

Ladies, don't listen to him, I'm not  into throwing a ton of money away on the bike.  I like to think of it as an investment Wink.  Ditto what Brian said about going to a bike shop and at least pretending you're gonna buy something so you can maybe take a couple bikes out for a spin and see how you like riding them.  I used the aero bike fit calculator off competitivecyclist.com and bought my TT bike sight unseen online because it was cheaper.  I woud gladly have paid $500 more for something out of a bike shop if I had to do it again.

RE: the swimming, no I didn't do any of the TI workshops, just got the DVD and a couple of the books and did a sh*t ton of drills and spent time in the pool.  I was fortunate enough to get a video of my swimming and have somebody who is a much better swimmer than I pick apart my stroke and give me some tips.  You won't win the race in the water, so my philosophy is just get to a point where I'm comfortable swimming the race distance I have targeted w/ a MOP finishing time.  Some of you Type-As might want to go faster :D

2011-01-02 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3272810

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-02 4:43 PM

Sh it Brian, I thought you weren't gonna hang out w/ my group since you had your own! Tongue out

Meulen - 2011-01-02 11:56 AM Crap!!! I'm behind on the QOTD!!! First race: As of now my first race is the Christie Clinic Marathon on April 30th. However, I'm waiting for a Mountain Bike Series to come out with their 2011 race lists. I'm anticipating the Sylvan Island Stampede mountain bike race to be before the marathon. If it's 2 weeks or more before that will be my first race. My first tri will be Xterra Fort Custer on May 22. Fav discipline: The bike!!!!! I just love everything about cycling. I used to race motorcycles and being on the road just feels right to me. It's really cool to be on the road riding with friends or in the woods with friends having some friendly competition jumping over rocks or railing through some switchbacks. I just love it. Rachel, I'll let you in on a little secret about Jay. He loves to spend money on new toys!! especially bike related!! LOL Do you have a budget in mind for your new bike? I'm sure Jay could help you part with some cash!! LOL Personally, when I'm buying a road bike I like to follow these rules: 1. come up with a budget 2. get myself a bike fit at a reputable shop and see what bikes, geometry, work for my body type 3. look at what I can afford that has shiman 105 components, or equivilent SRAM/Campy, or better. 4. throw my budget out of the window and buy the most expensive bike in the shop. I'm only kidding about the last one. There are plenty bikes out there that are really solid bikes for reasonable price. I do like to stick to shimano 105 or equivilent though. To me it's worth spending a little extra money so I'm riding the bike all the time instead of working on it. You're going to be putting a lot of miles on the bike training. Bikes with cheaper components packages tend break or go out of tune more often. I'm sure if you share your budget with you Jay could help you out a little more on what to get. For the people with problems swimming: I'd just like to share my favorite website for swimming info. I've found nothing helps better than getting into a class, or masters swim, where a coach can see what your doing and work with you on technique. But I also like to do a lot of research and came across this site that may have some helpful info for you. www.swimsmooth.com Jay, I've found out that TI is holding classes a few times this year at the University of Chicago. I've read that once your stroke is established and your improvements are focusing more on strength through interval training that TI clinics aren't all that helpful. My swim coach is saying I have already established great technique and now it's about the swim strength. I thought you took one of these clinics, what's your opinion on that?

Ladies, don't listen to him, I'm not  into throwing a ton of money away on the bike.  I like to think of it as an investment Wink.  Ditto what Brian said about going to a bike shop and at least pretending you're gonna buy something so you can maybe take a couple bikes out for a spin and see how you like riding them.  I used the aero bike fit calculator off competitivecyclist.com and bought my TT bike sight unseen online because it was cheaper.  I woud gladly have paid $500 more for something out of a bike shop if I had to do it again.

RE: the swimming, no I didn't do any of the TI workshops, just got the DVD and a couple of the books and did a sh*t ton of drills and spent time in the pool.  I was fortunate enough to get a video of my swimming and have somebody who is a much better swimmer than I pick apart my stroke and give me some tips.  You won't win the race in the water, so my philosophy is just get to a point where I'm comfortable swimming the race distance I have targeted w/ a MOP finishing time.  Some of you Type-As might want to go faster :D

Hah!!! I just thought I'd come in and stir the pot a bit! LOL
2011-01-02 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3271996

User image

Okinawa
Jay, answers to your questions:

How is your swimming?  Weak to very weak.
Do you know how to swim?  Yes, I can swim freestyle.  Breast stroke hurts my hips; not sure if that's poor form or poor flexibility.
What's the furthest you've swam so far?  I haven't swam for so long that I'm sucking air after 100m.
Do you have access to a pool on a regular basis to practice?  Yes, I do.

~Brian P.

Edited by nikuman 2011-01-02 9:53 PM
2011-01-02 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3272247

User image

Okinawa
Wendy,

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out!

Brian P.
2011-01-02 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3273291

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
nikuman - 2011-01-02 7:52 PM Jay, answers to your questions:

How is your swimming?  Weak to very weak.
Do you know how to swim?  Yes, I can swim freestyle.  Breast stroke hurts my hips; not sure if that's poor form or poor flexibility.
What's the furthest you've swam so far?  I haven't swam for so long that I'm sucking air after 100m.
Do you have access to a pool on a regular basis to practice?  Yes, I do.

~Brian P.

The stuff Wendy linked to is good if you already have a decent stroke.  If you're interested in improving form and technique, I would recommend either a Masters group if there's anything available over there or you might have to go the self-taught Total Immersion method route that I used.  It takes some dedicated practice, but it's a pretty efficient way to swim. 
2011-01-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

New user

Portland, OR
This is tough to keep up with if you don't check it for a 3-day weekend!

First Race: Albany, OR Sprint Tri, 4/17/11.
?
Swim 750, Bike 12.4, run 5k.

Fav discipline: Cycling I guess (although I don't own a road bike at this point) followed by running and swimming, i.e. trying not to drown.

I'm skipping week 1 on the swim focused 16-week Sprint program due to travels, starting today on week 2. Thanks for keeping me on track!

-JOel

2011-01-03 5:22 PM

Lehigh Valley
I have a question for our mentor and anyone else who wants to respond!Ran my second 5K New Years eve and did better than first- I am a slow jogger plus my 14y son ran in place of my husband who got sick and he has never run ( I joked with him and said I can't recall ever seeing him walk fast-it is pretty true).
Saturday I started having asthma symptoms which got much worse SUnday. It was wierd because I haven't had asthma symptoms in 2 years or more- I discovered dairy is a trigger for me and I really need to be strict about avoiding it and with the holidays a bit snuck in.
Anyhow I am not asking for medical advice- I went to my MD and I am also a nurse so I think I am covered there.
My question is- I haven't done a thing sinc the race(except for a family walk on Saturday). I am a little stressed about having so many days off but don't think I can really expect to restart much until Wednesday at the earliest.
I Guess my question is what do you all do during sick days? I plan to totally rest tomorrow- like not leave the house type rest. I am a mom of 3 so I usually spend most of the day running here and there but I am trying to call in help for tomorrow and take it easy!
Thanks for reading!
Oh and Happy New Year!
2011-01-03 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3275163

Regular
Spruce Grove
Sick/injured days are not fun! I'm new to this training stuff, but I sprained my toe last week and had to take a few days off. My personal guess would be this: if you are really sick, rest so that you get better faster. If you feel less than 100%, but not really bad, try to do whatever you can. For example, my foot hurts too much to run, but I can still get on my bike so I do. A slight cold I'd run though, but maybe dial down intensity. Hope you feel better soon!

saongiri - 2011-01-03 4:22 PM I have a question for our mentor and anyone else who wants to respond!Ran my second 5K New Years eve and did better than first- I am a slow jogger plus my 14y son ran in place of my husband who got sick and he has never run ( I joked with him and said I can't recall ever seeing him walk fast-it is pretty true).
Saturday I started having asthma symptoms which got much worse SUnday. It was wierd because I haven't had asthma symptoms in 2 years or more- I discovered dairy is a trigger for me and I really need to be strict about avoiding it and with the holidays a bit snuck in.
Anyhow I am not asking for medical advice- I went to my MD and I am also a nurse so I think I am covered there.
My question is- I haven't done a thing sinc the race(except for a family walk on Saturday). I am a little stressed about having so many days off but don't think I can really expect to restart much until Wednesday at the earliest.
I Guess my question is what do you all do during sick days? I plan to totally rest tomorrow- like not leave the house type rest. I am a mom of 3 so I usually spend most of the day running here and there but I am trying to call in help for tomorrow and take it easy!
Thanks for reading!
Oh and Happy New Year!
2011-01-03 5:43 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
So I went looking at road bikes today! My budget is to stay close to the $1000 mark more or less, and there are two bikes I'm considering. First - Trek Lexa S and second - Specialized Dolce. Specialized I like a little teeny bit more, but they cost more too - I feel like I'd get more bang for my buck with the Trek (for a $1300 model I'd get better components, I'd spend like $1500 on Specialized to get close to the Trek model). I'm in Canada, which may make the prices seem higher to you!

Anyway - tell me I should go with the Trek right? Thanks!
2011-01-03 9:04 PM

User image

New user
Hey everybody wow lots to catch up on!

QOTD: Which discipline is your favorite and why?
i guess running probably because I've been doing it the longest i haven't biked or swam until today.

Oh and speaking of swimming i got my butt up and out the door at 5:15 in the morning to hit the pool. Yay me...until i got there and everyone was doing laps faster than i could get in the pool lol it was pretty embarrassing and i forgot my goggles probably because i don't use goggles normallyTrying not to worry about it and remember we all have to start somewhere. Funny i thought the initial program i picked out would be too easy boy was i wrong hehehe

Thanks everyone who posted swimming links!!!! I need it bad!

Brian thanks for all the pointers on the bike. i really have know idea what i need. I really don't want to spend much more than $300 (sorry Jay) because this is such a new hobby to me.  does it really matter what kind of bike? i guess i mean if i were to get a decent mountain bike instead of a road bike?   My first tri will be a tester so if i don't really like it it would be nice to have a bike i can take on trails.

Also i rode bike today, kind of forgot how unforgiving the seats can be.  Then i imagine myself in a wet bathing suit can anyone say chaffing? yikes!  Any tips?  Was also surprise how my legs felt when i got off. How in the world are you supposed to run like that? lol  practice, practice, practice i guess

i think thats it

2011-01-03 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Sorry everyone, I won't be on quite as much over the next week, I'll have to do most of my catching up in the evenings.  I'm starting work at a new unit and don't have a desk yet :D

2011-01-03 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3275163

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
saongiri - 2011-01-03 3:22 PM I Guess my question is what do you all do during sick days? I plan to totally rest tomorrow- like not leave the house type rest. I am a mom of 3 so I usually spend most of the day running here and there but I am trying to call in help for tomorrow and take it easy!
Thanks for reading!
Oh and Happy New Year!

I rest when I'm really sick. Your immune system is already compromised, if you do a hard workout it can extend the duration of the illness when you beat up on it more.  I find that you don't get in a quality workout most of the time when you're sick anyway so it's better to just rest and then ease back into training when you are well.
2011-01-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3274415

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
joelg11 - 2011-01-03 10:11 AM This is tough to keep up with if you don't check it for a 3-day weekend!

First Race: Albany, OR Sprint Tri, 4/17/11.
?
Swim 750, Bike 12.4, run 5k.

Fav discipline: Cycling I guess (although I don't own a road bike at this point) followed by running and swimming, i.e. trying not to drown.

I'm skipping week 1 on the swim focused 16-week Sprint program due to travels, starting today on week 2. Thanks for keeping me on track!

-JOel

Cool, I'm racing my first tri this season that weekend also!  I just found out there is an outdoor lap swim pool open here that I can start using this week. 
2011-01-03 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3275196

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
lsmapp - 2011-01-03 3:43 PM So I went looking at road bikes today! My budget is to stay close to the $1000 mark more or less, and there are two bikes I'm considering. First - Trek Lexa S and second - Specialized Dolce. Specialized I like a little teeny bit more, but they cost more too - I feel like I'd get more bang for my buck with the Trek (for a $1300 model I'd get better components, I'd spend like $1500 on Specialized to get close to the Trek model). I'm in Canada, which may make the prices seem higher to you!

Anyway - tell me I should go with the Trek right? Thanks!

Awesome!  Did you get on them?  You will want to go w/ the bike that is the most comfortable.  Cheaper isn't always better Wink.  I like the look of the Dolce better personally.  Try to get a compact crank on it also.  Do you get a fitting included w/ that cost? 
2011-01-03 9:42 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
I got on both - neither felt more comfortable really, just a little odd after being used to a mountain bike! A fitting is included at that price and a discount or a little free gear, but that's for either bike. I'll go back and try both again before I purchase!
2011-01-03 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3275596

New user

Rachel I'm not an expert by any measure but last summer when I realized how long it had been since I had done any swimming to speak of, I hired a swim instructor for a week.  It was amazing how much better my stroke became with just a few hints here and there.  When we finished he also gave me a list of drills to work on.  Laura

2011-01-03 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3275596

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-03 7:04 PM Hey everybody wow lots to catch up on!

QOTD: Which discipline is your favorite and why?
i guess running probably because I've been doing it the longest i haven't biked or swam until today.

Oh and speaking of swimming i got my butt up and out the door at 5:15 in the morning to hit the pool. Yay me...until i got there and everyone was doing laps faster than i could get in the pool lol it was pretty embarrassing and i forgot my goggles probably because i don't use goggles normallyTrying not to worry about it and remember we all have to start somewhere. Funny i thought the initial program i picked out would be too easy boy was i wrong hehehe

Thanks everyone who posted swimming links!!!! I need it bad!

Nice work!  Pay no mind to everyone else.  You're there for your improvement, not theirs.  Besides, they're probably just interested in getting their own w/o completed before work too. 

Brian thanks for all the pointers on the bike. i really have know idea what i need. I really don't want to spend much more than $300 (sorry Jay) because this is such a new hobby to me.  does it really matter what kind of bike? i guess i mean if i were to get a decent mountain bike instead of a road bike?   My first tri will be a tester so if i don't really like it it would be nice to have a bike i can take on trails.

This doesn't have to be an expensive sport, spend as little on a bike as you want.  There's nothing wrong w/ riding a mtb, plenty of people race on them.  Most races have a MTB category that you can register for also.

Also i rode bike today, kind of forgot how unforgiving the seats can be.  Then i imagine myself in a wet bathing suit can anyone say chaffing? yikes!  Any tips?  Was also surprise how my legs felt when i got off. How in the world are you supposed to run like that? lol  practice, practice, practice i guess

i think thats it

Most folks race in a one or two piece tri suit.  The shorts have a small chamois in them that will give you a little padding on the bike, but its not so huge like cycling shorts that it's uncomfortable for the swim or run.  Yep, gotta practice running off the bike.  It will pay off on race day!
2011-01-03 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3275675

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
lsmapp - 2011-01-03 7:42 PM I got on both - neither felt more comfortable really, just a little odd after being used to a mountain bike! A fitting is included at that price and a discount or a little free gear, but that's for either bike. I'll go back and try both again before I purchase!

That's good.  If they're going to fit you to the bike, then you probably won't go wrong with either.  What kind of pedals are you looking at?  Cages for regular running shoes or some sort of clipless?
2011-01-03 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3275679

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
ljee64 - 2011-01-03 7:46 PM Rachel I'm not an expert by any measure but last summer when I realized how long it had been since I had done any swimming to speak of, I hired a swim instructor for a week.  It was amazing how much better my stroke became with just a few hints here and there.  When we finished he also gave me a list of drills to work on.  Laura

Good advice Laura.  If you aren't interested in 1-on-1 lessons, if there's a Masters swim group near you, that's supposed to help also.  I am going to check one out at the local Y here.
2011-01-03 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3275691

Regular
Spruce Grove
The salesman suggested maybe a simple cage style (it was plastic material) for now, and get into clipless when I'm comfortable on the bike and ready to spend the $$. I liked that idea, because I'd rather spend more on the bike now, accessories later. I have a helmet and bike shorts already, so keeping aside worries about pedals I only need to spend on a couple water bottle holders.
2011-01-03 10:25 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
^^ good salesman.  Glad he's not pushing a bunch of stuff on you that you don't want.  Sounds like you're about ready to hit the roads!

2011-01-04 1:21 AM

User image

Expert
Just popping in to say Hi!  Great to see you heading up a mentor group this year Jay, have fun!  Laughing
2011-01-04 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3272247

Lehigh Valley
thought I'd post what I am doing to get ready for the swim- it is a 2 part program- starts with 0-700 then goes on to 700-1650 (which is a full mile). I think it is very untimidating and works- you'llbe surprised! She says you should be able to get up to a mile swim in 6 weeks. The other maybe controversial issue some might have is she says not to focus so much on technique at first while many swimmers will say technique is everything. My plan is to follow her workout and then my husband and I are also going to take a class at a local community center that is geared to improving stroke and endurance.

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Edited by saongiri 2011-01-04 7:26 AM
2011-01-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3275826

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-03 11:21 PMJust popping in to say Hi!  Great to see you heading up a mentor group this year Jay, have fun!  Laughing
Hey David, thanks for stoppin in. Drop by any time.
2011-01-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3275997

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
saongiri - 2011-01-04 5:25 AMthought I'd post what I am doing to get ready for the swim- it is a 2 part program- starts with 0-700 then goes on to 700-1650 (which is a full mile). I think it is very untimidating and works- you'llbe surprised! She says you should be able to get up to a mile swim in 6 weeks. The other maybe controversial issue some might have is she says not to focus so much on technique at first while many swimmers will say technique is everything. My plan is to follow her workout and then my husband and I are also going to take a class at a local community center that is geared to improving stroke and endurance.

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

One important thing she mentions is that it will take at least 3 swim sessions a week to see improvement. If you don't have a swimming background only going twice a week won't do much for improving your endurance in the water or much for technique.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21