BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-01-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3258079

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - OPEN
One thing to consider when fitting a road bike into aero is comfort, for me it didnt work, I dont like bieng in aero for longer periods despite the anticipated savings in time or energy. I much prefer the versatility of changings positions and moving around. 

Whats important is to train in the manner you set it up for, I would try to keep the seat even with the bars as a starting point. The fast forward seatpost will give you the forward spacing you need, just make sure you have knee clearance when standing and turning, on a trainer check both, I would do a standing turn also. You may find that an even setup is still to aggressive in that it puts too much strain on your neck, make adjustments accordingly with your stem rise so you can see forward properly. Space your bars so thet its comfortable, you dont need to have your hands close together.

2011-01-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3316520

User image

Modesto, California
guticur - 2011-01-23 12:47 PM It's been hard to work out this weekend...I've been on call. I was able to squeeze in a short bike trainer session yesterday. Today I did 1 hour of Body flow at gym (combination yoga - pilates) and an 8 mile "treadmill" run Undecided (12 degrees and icy here today).
Gym announced they will launch later this month a new series called CX 30 (les mills). Supposed to be all core action!. Looking forward to checking it out (helps with biking right?)

Core is essential to power on the bike, I will do work specifically for my abs,lower back,hip flexors just to increase my power in the saddle.
2011-01-24 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3316824

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
TriGuyBri - 2011-01-23 7:02 PM Subject:  Bike set-up... 

I want to change the set-up of my road bike to better my position myself in an areo position and not be so spreadout in my torso.  Financially I can't afford a used tri bike (have to pay for repairs on my Honda Pilot to the terms of $3,000 this week) right now.  I have a Century Profile Design aero bars right now.  I noticed my handlebar stem is pretty adjustable and I have about 3 inches of shims under the stem so I could lower it if I needed to.  My plan is to purchase a Profile Design Fast Forward Seat Post to position myself closer and adjust my arms rests on my aero bars further back.  My question is about the shims and if I should be removing any of these; should your handle bars be lower or level with the top of your bike seat?  I believe when I went in to the LBS for a fit it they made it pretty level.  Any thing else I should be given consideration to in terms of positioning?

Thanks

Did a lot of research on this topic the last few months. Was considering fitting my road bike but opted to buy a new tri bike (Now I have to keep doing triathlons or my wife will kill me). Something else to consider would be that in your attempt to shift forward/aero on a road bike you end up transferring more weight to the front wheel, which can affect handling. The geometry of tri bikes compensate for this to try to maintain even weight distribution. This last month I have been practicing aero position on the trainer...it does not come naturally, you need to get used to it.

Edited by guticur 2011-01-24 2:16 PM
2011-01-24 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3303271

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
TriGuyBri - 2011-01-16 7:28 PM Reporting on my 1/2 Mary this morning.  It was a very wet and windy day.  Actually it was pretty warm out as well.  Met my goal of sub 2 hr.  Was looking to run a 9:00 min. pace and was right on the money.  Time:  1:57:49 (9:00 pace).

Have a great week everyone.  It will be a rest week for me with some pool swims here and there.

Brian

Brian- Thanks for the inspiration.  Sounds fun.  I have been wanting to try a 1/2 Mary this year, but I am now thinking that I should move it up to the front part of the season to give me some motivation. Last week I started using a Hal Higdon plan to see if I can get me up to the distance by late March/early April.  If I can, than I will try the Half Mary; if not then I will keep training for one.  Plus, it gives me something to shoot for while the roads are too crappy for cycling outside. 

What does everyone think- is 2 months to soon to try to 2x my distance (farthest runs before have been a couple of 10Ks last fall)? 

Will
2011-01-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3319529

User image

Expert
Salem
williemc432 - 2011-01-24 7:57 PM
TriGuyBri - 2011-01-16 7:28 PM Reporting on my 1/2 Mary this morning.  It was a very wet and windy day.  Actually it was pretty warm out as well.  Met my goal of sub 2 hr.  Was looking to run a 9:00 min. pace and was right on the money.  Time:  1:57:49 (9:00 pace).

Have a great week everyone.  It will be a rest week for me with some pool swims here and there.

Brian

Brian- Thanks for the inspiration.  Sounds fun.  I have been wanting to try a 1/2 Mary this year, but I am now thinking that I should move it up to the front part of the season to give me some motivation. Last week I started using a Hal Higdon plan to see if I can get me up to the distance by late March/early April.  If I can, than I will try the Half Mary; if not then I will keep training for one.  Plus, it gives me something to shoot for while the roads are too crappy for cycling outside. 

What does everyone think- is 2 months to soon to try to 2x my distance (farthest runs before have been a couple of 10Ks last fall)? 

Will

I used Ryan Hall's Half-Marathon Plan from Runner's World Website.  See link below.  It seemed more specific in terms of what to do.  I have used Hal's Plan for my first 10K.  For my first Half-Marathon I used a plan from Runner's world that was specific to a pace I thought I could run; came up short due to the hilly course.   I also did some speed workouts on the track each Tuesday evening and used McMillian's Pace Calculator to figure my pace for the speed workouts.  I think it is doable, but might have to accept a slower pace to get yourself to the end.  I enjoyed the training just knowing I was increasing the length of my runs each week on Sundays (of course reducing the long run for recovery every 4th week). 

Short Story...My longest run ended up being 14 miles; I ran 7 and on the way back about mile 10 I ended up in the wide open area and it began to rain and blow pretty bad; so hard it stung when it hit my face.  My crouch area went numb it was so cold.  I had to stop and hide behind a transformer at a Stop Light for coverage.  I had a rag with me so I placed that in my frontal area to provide some barrier protection and it helped.  Probably more than you wanted to hear.  I knew I was going to have to run in the rain for this race; heck it is Oregon and that's what it does in Oregon in the winter time..RAIN.  So you train in it as well.  No surprises come race day. All part of the experience.

http://www.runnersworld.com/charts/hallchart.html

Good Luck.
2011-01-26 6:19 AM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Ugh. Still sweating this bug out. Home from work last 2 days with 2 sick kids, so not much rest for me. Going in to take care of some "gotta-haves" for tomorrow, then I'm going back to bed, while mother-in-law watches baby and older child is in school (hopefully).

Hoping to feel well enough by the weekend to get something in. Losing a whole week of base training was not in my plan, but if there's one thing I've learned/remembered from this episode, it's humility.

2011-01-26 10:29 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Hang in there Jim, I always try to focus on the the things I have control over when Im not feeling good,reduce stress,stay on top of nutrition, plenty of rest!
2011-01-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3321978

User image

jamesarr - 2011-01-26 7:19 AM Ugh. Still sweating this bug out. Home from work last 2 days with 2 sick kids, so not much rest for me. Going in to take care of some "gotta-haves" for tomorrow, then I'm going back to bed, while mother-in-law watches baby and older child is in school (hopefully).

Hoping to feel well enough by the weekend to get something in. Losing a whole week of base training was not in my plan, but if there's one thing I've learned/remembered from this episode, it's humility.

Jim- Sorry to hear your still sick, it will get better.  I know the feeling, it seems like my daughter is always bringing some kind of bug home from daycare.  Be careful not to try too much too soon, that is usually my mistake- jumping right back in like I haven't missed a day.

Will   
2011-01-27 10:18 AM

User image

Modesto, California
So far I have lost 13 pounds since mid November, I let my weight go after I had a bad cycling accident early last year. My goal is to loose another 15 by May 1st when my racing criteriums will be at its peak. This year my focus has been on strength training ,reducing meal portions,eating more balanced meals with less carbs. So far its been working good and has not been too painful, I expect weight loss to accelerate when my workout intensities increase.
2011-01-27 11:09 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
Hi, you guys seem like an active lot!  I was signed up for another mentor group but haven't heard from him in weeks.  Your sign says open, so is it OK if I switch lanes and join in here?

Just let me know and I'll post stats & history.

Thanks,
Mike
2011-01-28 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

Hey gang. On my way out of town for a weekend conference. Hoping for a decent gym @ hotel. We'll see how much training I can squeeze in. Tons of snow here at home. Have a good weekend!

2011-01-28 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3324651

User image

Modesto, California
mikjamlec - 2011-01-27 9:09 AM Hi, you guys seem like an active lot!  I was signed up for another mentor group but haven't heard from him in weeks.  Your sign says open, so is it OK if I switch lanes and join in here?

Just let me know and I'll post stats & history.

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome Mike, post away!

Edited by nevergivin 2011-01-28 1:06 PM
2011-01-28 1:10 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Busy weekend, early season racing with official race Saturday, practice Sunday. I have been working my butt off on the trainer. Im for sure getting a power setup on a new set of wheels come tax return time.
2011-01-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3327207

User image

Houston, Texas
nevergivin - 2011-01-28 1:06 PM

Welcome Mike, post away!

NAME: Mike, 42 years old.  

STORY: I have never been an athlete.  In 2009 I started working out and running to lose weight.  After some initial success, a friend at work told a couple of us about this Triathlon coming up in 2010.  One guy signed up and the challenge was on.  I ridiculously said OK, and the rest is history.

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ two kids: 6 year old (will soon be 7) and a 2 year old

CURRENT TRAINING:  After being a slug for the holidays, I'm getting back to a training routine.  On M/W/F I swim 1000 yds at the gym & run in the neighborhood after that.  I'm back up to over 3.5 miles per run, hoping to get to 5 miles in another couple of weeks.  T/Th it's stationary bike and strength training.  I am getting back on the bike after a couple of months off, planning to ride on the weekend 14 - 20 miles.  I dutifully log in the BT training area, which I love.

2010 races (all also logged in BT): 
                    Lonestar Sprint - Galveston,TX (April)
                    Tejas Sprint Triathlon - Sugar Land, TX (June)
                    Clear Lake Sprint - Clear Lake City, TX (August)
with mixed results

2011 races: So far I'm only signed up for the Galveston Sprint in April.  Plan is to do the same ones I did last year and maybe add a couple so I'm doing one a month.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I started in 2009 at 224 (I'm 5' 9").  By the time of my first race, I had lost 30 lbs.  I've gained some back in the fall (I'm at 198 now), but I hope to lose at least another 18 by this coming April.  My problem is not exercise, it's intake right now.

GOAL:  For my first race I just wanted to finish.  The second race nearly caused me to quit forever, but I was inspired at the last minute, and will never again think that way.  This year my goal is to finish in the top half of my age group.  So far I'm working toward this goal by inviting as many first-timers in my AG to the next race as possible.    My other goal is to figure out how to use the HRM on my Garmin (that I bought last year - love it!) and use that information in training.

I'm looking for a mentor or group that can help me stay on track and figure out how to take my training to the next level.
2011-01-28 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3327399

User image

Welcome Mike- Nice to have you here.

Thanks to yet another dumping of snow on us in Boston, looks like another weekend of treadmills and rollers.  I will try to get outside for a run tomorrow.

Will
2011-01-28 5:58 PM

User image

Regular

NAME: David Rivera

STORY: I am 31 years old and have been playing soccer off and on for about 15yrs. I started running one year ago to loose weight and find something that I could truly feel acchomplishment and reach my potential. I felt triathlons would be a fantastic challenge and have been training since October of 10 to complete the Augusta HIM in September11. Tonight I joined BT to find new friends and workout partners as I train for a Lifetime indoor tri in two weeks, a sprint in Savannah, ga in March, and many more events progressing to the buildup phase in May for the main event on my calendar. To give you an idea of my level right now, tonight Ill be doing a bike/run brick of olympic distance. Ive been ramping up to see how good my sprint stands with the indoor. I hope that I can join this mentor group. I believe this will help immensely.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married with two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Base Cycling Training/ Base Running (Run focus) Next month will start swimming again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 My big goal is Augusta HIM

WEIGHTLOSS:
 I am currently trying to loose 30 more pounds by May. Ive lost 15 pounds so far! I am currently 200

Will be awesome to join the group and pull as much knowledge from everyone as I can. Likewise, please bother me with any injury issues because I am a Certified Athletic Trainer.

2011-01-29 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3327777

Regular
Augusta, GA

Hi David, Welcome to BT.com. I see you're training for the Augusta HIM. For inspiration, check out the race reports. I did that event last year and it was so much more fun than I thought it would be! It helped me get psyched up and prepared to read how other people reacted to the course and what happened to them along the way. I plan on doing it again this year.

It sounds like your racing season isn't completely planned out...the Jekyll Island Turtle sprint/oly in May is a flat course--nice for early season. If you're interested in doing a couple Olys in GA area, I did Richard B. Russell "Tri the Parks" last year and the "Festival of Flowers" tri in SC. Festival is a really challenging run course finishing on a massive uphill.  

2011-01-29 8:40 AM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Jim, hope you and your gang are feeling better!

Ugh, I had a slack week of training this week. Ran all out on a short tempo run Monday, then I felt it! My little one was diagnosed w/strep on Tues, so that was my excuse to not work out. Couldn't leave the house but could've gotten on the trainer, except that I'm feeling really uncomfortable now on my bike. It's a road bike that I had fitted with tri bars last summer. Ever since I'm not too happy on the bike. My bike shop fitted me for the tri position, then I got a new seat, still no good. I'm pretty flexible and I was told to expect this to help me feel good in aero, not so. I guess there are so many individual differences.

Here's the problem: I go about 2mph faster in the aero position; it really does make a difference. But I hate doing it most of the time. I'm thinking of putting my road bike back to the way it was and just training like. I'd like to have a tri bike but I'm not ready to commit. Anybody have similar experience or ideas on how to get used to aero?

2011-01-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3328268

User image

Regular
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I still dont have a set calendar. I am doing all three Savannah, Ga Sprints. Definitely will have to add a few Olys. I saw a great set of videos of the entire bike route on youtube. It definitely gets me excited and am very confident I can ramp up for this. Last night I completed a 30/3 brick. First endeavor at the distance and felt great. I found a groove and was hitting negative splits every 15m. Due to my starting weight last year I strained my calf. It started to tighten a bit after the three so I stopped. I felt like I definitely wouldn't have had a problem in an event to finish 6. Im starting back on the swimming and working out twice a day. to get those swims in. Not sure how Ill organize this due to work but theres no turning back now. I just weighed in under 200! Never again. Im about 5'9.5" and want to get to 170 by May. It will happen! Thanks bdroppleman. Nice to meet you and have a great weekend. Hope the little one gets better and you get back on the horse! Just remember it cant all go in a week. You'll be fine.
2011-01-30 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Welcome David and Mark!
Just got back from Houston (Conference). To my surprise today they were running the Houston Marathon/Half marathon and the finish line was just outside my hotel. Had I known ahead of time I would have planned to participate. Its the first time I go check out an event as a spectator. It was fun.
Trainingwise the weekend was a total bust. Between going to bed every day at 1 am and getting up at 5, and a few glasses of wine with dinner, I was in no condition to workout. I will get on my bike/trainer tonight and hope to make up for it this coming week.

2011-01-30 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3329808

User image

Regular
Dont feel bad. After an awesome Friday, Saturday was off and today was a complete waste. Nutrition was ok but It seems like every weekend is a huge struggle. I have to be more disciplined. I feel like I have to work out all week just to make up the damage and never make progress on the weight loss. I will do better. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-01-30 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Indoor Cycling class on Sat. and a 1/2 mile swim this evening.  I begin my Half-Iron Plan tomorrow/Date:  June 25 - Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon.  Starting a week earlier than expecting to give myself some extra room just in case I run into some unproductive training days or days I can't train for some reason.

I need to get stocked up on some nutrition items.

Have great week everyone.  Happy training!!! : )
2011-01-31 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3329808

User image

Houston, Texas
guticur - 2011-01-30 6:48 PM Welcome David and Mark!
Just got back from Houston (Conference). To my surprise today they were running the Houston Marathon/Half marathon and the finish line was just outside my hotel. Had I known ahead of time I would have planned to participate. Its the first time I go check out an event as a spectator. It was fun.
Trainingwise the weekend was a total bust. Between going to bed every day at 1 am and getting up at 5, and a few glasses of wine with dinner, I was in no condition to workout. I will get on my bike/trainer tonight and hope to make up for it this coming week.

How cool!  I know a few people who ran, but I've never been out there myself.  It's in the back of my brain that it would be a good off-season event to train for once the triathlons wind down in the area.  I'm thinking a 1/2 marathon to start with.

Folks around here are also gearing up (ha ha) for the MS 150 (Houston to Austin bike ride).  Again, I've never done it, but apparently it's pretty easy to hook up with groups that organize 30-40 mile rides on the weekend.  I've got my own goal of biking to my friend's house (60 miles away), and participating in a few of these longer rides for training would be ideal.  I'll still have to work up to that, so maybe middle to late February.

Busy weekend, so I didn't get a chance to ride.  Looking back, I see that I probably could have, but I didn't plan for it, so it didn't happen.

Good swim and run this morning, though, so I feel like I'm still making progress on my training.  By the way, I've had my bike almost a year now, and I'm still using the factory pedals with my running shoes.  Any advice on going to the clipless shoes / pedals?  It makes me nervous because I'm sure I'm going to eat it once or twice before I get the hang of it.

Hope everyone has a good week!

-Mike
2011-01-31 10:18 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - Closed
Welcome David, great to have your experience in the group!

Busy weekend for me! I had my race on Saturday as planned, everything that could go wrong did!
The weather was the worst for cycling, 45 and rainy. I made the 1 1/2 hour drive so I forced myself to race regardless of the chances of wrecking or ruining my equipment or bike. The start of the race I was in good position, probably the best as I was sitting in the top 10-15 riders out of 75. Two turns on the course we had to come to a complete stop because they were so sharp, planty of rain and standing water made things extremely sketchy. Six laps into a 15 lap race the first accident happened, just to my right, I was not able to see what happened, I just heard it and one rider came into my path as I slowed and moved out of the pack. I was able to clear the fallen riders and move back into the race, now I was forced to give everthing I had to try to catch up to the pack. I was able to get some relief from another rider as we teamed up to give chase to the group, we struggled but managed to get back, upon complete exhaustion I managed to position myself right in the middle of the second wreck, it couldnt have been better timing. I didnt slow this time, I came to a complete stop. I had gone from the top ten to the bottom ten in less than 15 minutes, for today my race was finished as the main group was completely out of my reach. This was not the result I had planned for, as I continue to loose more weight and get stronger my results will continue to get better. I have officially started the new season at the bottom! This will serve as motivation in the next few weeks during my workouts!

Edited by nevergivin 2011-01-31 10:19 AM
2011-01-31 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Suggestions
Ok, I have a great opportunity to run in a half marathon this weekend. I am going to do a 10 miler tonight as a test. Last run I did was 6 and was just working on base. I have done 10 before in September but not a half marathon. It would be my first and would be doing it just to finish. Any suggestions on wether to do it or not?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10