Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-01-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3259281

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Troy's Group Open

Hi all!  Hope everyone is getting some good training in this weekend. 

Mike, great going on the sub 22 minute swim.  It's fun seeing improvement!  Sounds like you are also gearing up well.

Fireman, welcome!  I like your incremental approach.

Shake, taking notes about the trainer for later.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Had a good 8 mile run with a friend this morning.  Was afraid I might be pushing the mileage up too fast this week, but the IT band mostly behaved...only got glitchy on me once towards the end.  Next Saturday, my friend and I are going to do a local 10K race and add a few miles after that for our long run.  Reminding myself to not do stupid though.  With a month to go until the 1/2, trying to be too speedy + my shaky base = not smart.

2011-01-24 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Troy's Group Open
Helloooo out there!  How's everyone's week looking?  Remember, this is a triathlon forum, so it's OK to talk about the running/biking/swimming stuff that bores your other friends Laughing.

As for me, I had a lousy run turned walk this morning.  But then a good visit with a new podiatrist.  I'm now in new shoes that are actually neutral, and awaiting precertification on some new orthotics.  Also got a line on a sports chiropractor from her, so planning to check that out.  I have always been a minimialist in terms of seeking out help like that, but decided this is the year I stop fulfilling the crazy definition (doing same thing expecting different results).

C'mon, now, I'm usually the quiet one in a group, and you guys are making me feel like a chatty cathy!   
2011-01-24 6:53 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Troy's Group FULL
Squirt,

Sorry to hear that your run had to turn into a walk, but it's amazing what a new pair of shoes can do for you.  I've switched to more minimalist shoes the last several months and I couldn't be happier with them.

I had planned on getting up this morning and riding, but I'm still fairly sore from my  10 mile run on Saturday.  I did some strength training on Sunday so I'm basically one sore muscle  from head to toe.  I'll skip today, try a hot bath and try to ride in the a.m.  I don't have any immediate goals other than to continue building a base, so missing a day here and there isn't a big deal. 

At any rate, I'm trying to up my swim and ride miles and that's going well.  Take care and good luck this week!

Ted
2011-01-25 9:07 AM

New user

Ok everybody, I fell off the Tri-wagon.  My bad habits are hard to break, and has not been a priority.  Climbing back on now. 

I now  have a few co-workers who I have asked to hold me accountable with diet and exercise, and I need to login here more often as well.  That I need support like this disappoints me.   UGH!!!!! 

Thanks to all of you who posted pictures.  I will post one soon.
2011-01-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3320111

User image

Houston, Texas
rschwieterman - 2011-01-25 9:07 AM Ok everybody, I fell off the Tri-wagon.  My bad habits are hard to break, and has not been a priority.  Climbing back on now. 

I now  have a few co-workers who I have asked to hold me accountable with diet and exercise, and I need to login here more often as well.  That I need support like this disappoints me.   UGH!!!!! 

Glad to see you back with us!  I don't think anyone does this without any support.  I find that logging all of my training motivates me to keep it going.  When I see the calendar with blank activity on it, it bugs me!  Knowing  that others may see my results helps me keep going, too, especially when I don't want to.  Check out the article about the 5 minute workout (it's in the motivation section).  I liked what that had to say.  I hope this is the link straight to it (sorry, not that tech savvy):  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=540

All that being said, I missed my run on Monday.    I swam, but it was raining afterwards.  I should have stayed at the gym and run on a machine (I usually run on the trails near our house), but I promised my wife I'd wake her up before I went running, so I went home.  It was a thin excuse my wife completely saw through when she asked why I didn't just call her.  Truth is I'd only gotten 3 1/2 hours of sleep and wasn't up for a run of as many miles.

I did get on the bike this weekend and it was awesome!  I almost turned back because it was so cold, but I thought of the article I referenced above and said to myself, well, I'll just go around the block and if I don't feel like continuing, I won't.  Of course by then I was into it and completed 15 miles.  I think it helped that my face went numb after 5 minutes.  I know 35 degrees isn't much to you, tedjohn, but this ain't Colorado!    Still, it was a good ride and nice to get back in the saddle again.

I've got 10 weeks & 3 days before my first Tri of the season.  Squirt, I know you've got a 1/2 mary coming up, but I don't recall when.  Maybe everone could post how soon until their first 'big' event?

Still workin' on those pictures...
-Mike

Edited by mikjamlec 2011-01-25 1:10 PM
2011-01-25 9:02 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Good idea for a posting, Mike.  My next event is a local 10 mile run in early March.  First triathlon isn't until the end of May, but I'm excited for it because it will be my older brother's first event.   It will be fun to be able to do some races together. 

2011-01-26 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3320111

New user
Fairbanks
rschwieterman - 2011-01-25 9:07 AM Ok everybody, I fell off the Tri-wagon.  My bad habits are hard to break, and has not been a priority.  Climbing back on now. 

I can relate. I wouldn't say that I fell of the Tri-wagon but I've been derailed since last Thursday (job related and getting flak for a transfer). I did get in a 45 min. run today to separate work from personal goals (sponsored by tunes from Bob Sager live Bullet). Pushing through... Glad to hear others are clearing their personal hurdles.
Jeff 
2011-01-26 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Great job to those getting back on the tri wagon!  Today is a new day .

Ted -- I can see why you would be sore after 10 miles + strength.  Sounds like you will be ready for that 10 miler in early March and tri in May with your bro.  Great that he's getting involved too.  Are you competitive with each other?

Bob -- I hear you on needing/hating to need support.  I really do think it's necessary though....for all of us. 

Mike -- great article on the 5 minute workout!  It also sounds like a good way to see if taking an extra day off is needed or not.  Hate having that argument with myself, so maybe that's a way to settle it.

Jeff -- good job escaping the work stuff for a nice run.  Definitely helps the mental state when you're dealing with flak.

Speaking of support, that is my new years resolution of sorts.   To seek out any help/advice/equipment I need to be active and fit, and to pursue related goals that keep me motivated.  And turns out my new orthotics will only cost me a $40 co-pay, yay!

Upcoming races:

Fillie Trot 10K - 1/29 -- will be 1st part of long run or 9-10 miles, so will be pacing it
Cowtown Half Marathon - 2/27
2011-01-26 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I guess you could say I had my first big event for the year this past weekend. I went to Huntsville, AL for a 50k trail run - which was more of surviving the terrain and getting through it than "running" the entire thing for me. Super experience. Hope to go again next year. I think I came in the bottom 1/3 of people who finished - but there were a fair amount of people who didn't even finish (there were time cutoffs at certain points) and I am proud to have completed it.
2011-01-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3323546

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Swise- Congratulations on an incredible accomplishment!  Not only did you finish, but you want to do it again! Plenty of time to move up in the rankings!
2011-01-27 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know I signed up over to jsnowash's mentor group.  Since we haven't heard from Troy in quite a while, I wanted to make sure I got in on a group with an active mentor before they all closed. Troy, I really DO hope you can come back.  But also understand that life happens!  You encouraged me to log, and to check out Chi Running, and I really appreciate it! 

Anyway, Jsnowash's group is still open if any of you want to hop over there.  I'll still check in here as well because I felt like I was just starting to get to know you, my fellow mentees!

2011-01-31 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Well hopefully our mentor will be back so.. I might be looking for another group as well.. I've had a hard time getting my training going due to being busy at work , but I did get in another fifty miles keeping above a 18.5 average.. Finally had a warm weekend in Georgia...

Hope all is well with all...
2011-01-31 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3323546

User image

Veteran
Georgia
swise - 2011-01-26 8:18 PM I guess you could say I had my first big event for the year this past weekend. I went to Huntsville, AL for a 50k trail run - which was more of surviving the terrain and getting through it than "running" the entire thing for me. Super experience. Hope to go again next year. I think I came in the bottom 1/3 of people who finished - but there were a fair amount of people who didn't even finish (there were time cutoffs at certain points) and I am proud to have completed it.

Great Job...Way to hang in there and finish....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Troy's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 4