BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-01-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3288765

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Australia
jdiis - 2011-01-09 7:15 PM Ok Australia just moved up higher on my bucket list!

Jackie
Just Do It

I've always dreamed of being there, Gold Coast and the Great Desert too. I hear nothing but wonders about that place. And, there must be something with Triathlons, they've produced nothing but the very best in the last 10 years.

2011-01-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Thank you guys for your nice comments about this country. But just like wirunnergirl's liking of the trainer, we should keep it secret or else everybody will come here. Ooops... we're on internet.
2011-01-10 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
So, how was everybody's weekend? Any good training sessions?
2011-01-10 12:02 PM

User image

Hi Ernesto:
I'd like to join the group if you are still open.
Name:  Jennifer

Story:
I have always been an athlete but basically I love sprinting during running and swimming. I have never been a distance person in any sport.
I decided to try swimming a year ago after 35 years. I have always known how to swim but the last time I competed I was 12 in a neighborhood league. My husband had started swimming laps years ago and then decided to join a Masters Swimming Team.  He asked me to go to their happy hour so he would know someone.  I started talking to some of the people and thought "why not?". They had a two week trial so I started swimming. We swim 3x per week at 5:00 a.m.  Our team has 2 coaches.
I started with fins and gradually stopped using them.  The practices range from 2400 yds to 3500 yds.    After swimming for a couple months, I decided to do my first sprint tri.  Many of my swimming teammates compete in tri's so they were very encouraging to me.

I have completed 5 sprint tri's and am considering do a 70.3 Ironman this August.

Family Status:
My husband of  25 years (this April) is my Masters Teammate and had started doing the tri too.  He has had several injuries so hopefully this season will be better for him.
3 kids.  All three are swimmers.  Youngest son swims on our high school and club team, Middle boy swims for Purdue University and our oldest daughter has graduated college and swims with her finance on our Masters Team.

Current training:
Swim 3 times per week
Tennis, 2 times per week with matches
Bike 1 hour 2 x per week
Running 5-7 miles 2-3 times per week (having some leg/knee issues now, not sure why)

Weight loss:
Lost 11 pd after I started swimming.  I'm staying at the same weight with is perfect for me now.  Just need some new clothes that fit!

Goals:
To be able to compete in a 70.3 Ironman and someday, full Ironman.
Participate in some group training rides.
To be able to not be as nervous at the beginning of the races.
To run in our local 1/2 marathon
To stay healthy and not get injured.
Run faster!

Thanks

Jennifer

2011-01-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3290170

User image

Master
Dallas
jrjoyce - 2011-01-10 12:02 PM Hi Ernesto:
I'd like to join the group if you are still open.
Name:  Jennifer

Story:
I have always been an athlete but basically I love sprinting during running and swimming. I have never been a distance person in any sport.
I decided to try swimming a year ago after 35 years. I have always known how to swim but the last time I competed I was 12 in a neighborhood league. My husband had started swimming laps years ago and then decided to join a Masters Swimming Team.  He asked me to go to their happy hour so he would know someone.  I started talking to some of the people and thought "why not?". They had a two week trial so I started swimming. We swim 3x per week at 5:00 a.m.  Our team has 2 coaches.
I started with fins and gradually stopped using them.  The practices range from 2400 yds to 3500 yds.    After swimming for a couple months, I decided to do my first sprint tri.  Many of my swimming teammates compete in tri's so they were very encouraging to me.

I have completed 5 sprint tri's and am considering do a 70.3 Ironman this August.

Family Status:
My husband of  25 years (this April) is my Masters Teammate and had started doing the tri too.  He has had several injuries so hopefully this season will be better for him.
3 kids.  All three are swimmers.  Youngest son swims on our high school and club team, Middle boy swims for Purdue University and our oldest daughter has graduated college and swims with her finance on our Masters Team.

Current training:
Swim 3 times per week
Tennis, 2 times per week with matches
Bike 1 hour 2 x per week
Running 5-7 miles 2-3 times per week (having some leg/knee issues now, not sure why)

Weight loss:
Lost 11 pd after I started swimming.  I'm staying at the same weight with is perfect for me now.  Just need some new clothes that fit!

Goals:
To be able to compete in a 70.3 Ironman and someday, full Ironman.
Participate in some group training rides.
To be able to not be as nervous at the beginning of the races.
To run in our local 1/2 marathon
To stay healthy and not get injured.
Run faster!

Thanks

Jennifer

Jen,

Welcome to the group! It sounds like you have a very busy lifestyle. Is great that you are swimming so much and by now you've probably noticed how much it helps with the other two sports. Just like you mention, group rides are the way to go if you want to put big miles (and many other benefits). It takes more that discipline to put a 60 mile ride by yourself.
Shoot whatever questions you may have, in the group there's different level triathletes, some more experienced than other which makes it great!
One thing if I may suggest, try to do at least one Olympic before you go for the 70.3, different distances teach you different things. I guess the biggest one thing is pacing and nutrition at that distance, if you neglect either one (or both) your experience can turn into a bad one really fast. The Oly is an intermediate step, I believe it will be helpful.

Have a great week!

E
2011-01-10 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3285695

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Time availability as requested. 

Weeknights except for Wed open from 5 - 10 pm.
Weekends most Sats open all day, Suns open after church and lunch at around 2 pm.

Resources:
Indoor trainer, cold weather gear to ride outdoors
Local small fitness center with elliptical, treadmill, limited smaller dumbbells, and a few multi-purpose gym machines.  They also have a small trampoline.
Outdoor heated pool (82 deg) is 45 minutes away, but has great availability.
Indoor heated pool (80 deg) is 45 minutes away, but the hours stink.  If you want to swim laps in the evening, your choice is 7 - 8 pm.

I did fill out the training log here at BT.  Remember I am a novice swimmer, so I haven't really timed myself on swimming.   I also go dancing 2 or 3 times a month and my dance partner never sits down.  So it's pretty much dancing for 3-4 hours straight.

Last week for some reason, I felt very tired and decided not to train at all.  So I didn't.  This week I am raring to go, but of course, old man winter has forced me to modify a little. 

Let me know what you see I could do differently.  I would like to do my first sprint tri on March 13 at Keller, TX.  Then I don't know what I should be planning, another sprint tri, or training for an Olympic later in the season.

Thoughts oh seasoned triathletes? Cool

2011-01-10 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3286192

El Paso
Thank you about the shorts, my wife was saying te same thing..lol.

about being more specifc, i think that you were pretty clear, i have a couple of friends that every time we go out for a ride they look like ligthing is going to strike them. I thought that i had to do the same thing.

When you did the Arizona IM, did you use a trainning plan from BT? if so could you tell me wich one was it?

2011-01-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3288938

markz - 2011-01-09 8:54 PM Thank you guys for your nice comments about this country. But just like wirunnergirl's liking of the trainer, we should keep it secret or else everybody will come here. Ooops... we're on internet.

Markz:  I think we've just established that you can't be trusted with the groups "secrets"! 
2011-01-10 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3290844

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-01-10 3:58 PM Time availability as requested. 

Weeknights except for Wed open from 5 - 10 pm.
Weekends most Sats open all day, Suns open after church and lunch at around 2 pm.

Resources:
Indoor trainer, cold weather gear to ride outdoors
Local small fitness center with elliptical, treadmill, limited smaller dumbbells, and a few multi-purpose gym machines.  They also have a small trampoline.
Outdoor heated pool (82 deg) is 45 minutes away, but has great availability.
Indoor heated pool (80 deg) is 45 minutes away, but the hours stink.  If you want to swim laps in the evening, your choice is 7 - 8 pm.

I did fill out the training log here at BT.  Remember I am a novice swimmer, so I haven't really timed myself on swimming.   I also go dancing 2 or 3 times a month and my dance partner never sits down.  So it's pretty much dancing for 3-4 hours straight.

Last week for some reason, I felt very tired and decided not to train at all.  So I didn't.  This week I am raring to go, but of course, old man winter has forced me to modify a little. 

Let me know what you see I could do differently.  I would like to do my first sprint tri on March 13 at Keller, TX.  Then I don't know what I should be planning, another sprint tri, or training for an Olympic later in the season.

Thoughts oh seasoned triathletes? Cool

Ok, this is what I think would be useful:

Monday: Easy swim, short, simple and relaxing but always watch the form.
Tuesday: Attend a one hour spin class at your local gym. Get your butt kicked.
Wednesday: off
Thursday: AM run moderate pace and duration.
Friday: AM swim. This time, a little more yards.
Saturday: Long ride, easy effort.
Sunday: Long run, easy effort.

I could be way more specific but two things are missing:
I don't know your HR zones (do you own a Garmin).
I don't know your current training load. Too much sudden increase is spelled I-N-J-U-R-Y
Let's talk some more, give me feedback.
2011-01-10 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3290910

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-01-10 4:25 PM Thank you about the shorts, my wife was saying te same thing..lol.

about being more specifc, i think that you were pretty clear, i have a couple of friends that every time we go out for a ride they look like ligthing is going to strike them. I thought that i had to do the same thing.

When you did the Arizona IM, did you use a trainning plan from BT? if so could you tell me wich one was it?

For Ironman training I did something completely unstructured except for one thing, I had a long ride every Saturday and a long run every Sunday. The rest was just peripheral. You're welcome to go back and look at my training logs starting November 22nd, 2009, then go back for about four months. To tell you the truth, any coach looking at those logs (8 hrs average) would tell you that the subject would never finish the Ironman in one piece, but the truth is that for such distance, pacing is the key, fitness is second.
Another inportant thing is to never miss those two workouts, they give you the aerobic engine for the distance.
Now I'm a little more mature, I'm stressing my body more frequently (I'm 19 weeks from my next full Ironman), but the golden rule is not to train if I'm tired. If your body cannot absorb the workout, it becomes useless. You're just beating a dead horse.
2011-01-11 1:44 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, interesting comment about not training when you're tired. I kind of thought that for the full IM that's exactly what we should be doing. Isn't the point to get the body used to performing when tired?
Btw, I don't follow any plan and just like you, try to do a long ride and a run on the weekend, the rest is just a filler.

Edited by markz 2011-01-11 3:14 AM

2011-01-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3291599

Verona
Subject: Swimming
Ernesto,
I am using the begginer half Iron Man training in BT... for right now I am just starting it and figure I can stretch it out (since it is 20 weeks) because my half is in July. Should I just repeat some of the weekly trainings? Remember I also have a Marathon in late May. I do need more work in the pool. Can you explain to a new person like me what the pool trining means:
What does wu, main, and cd mean? What does this all mean in real words?

S: long day
wu: 200swim, 200kick, 200pull, 200swim
main: 1 x 1500, RPE 4 (alternate 1 x 1000)
cd: 4 x 50, each slower than last
thanks

2011-01-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3291665

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-01-11 1:44 AM Ernesto, interesting comment about not training when you're tired. I kind of thought that for the full IM that's exactly what we should be doing. Isn't the point to get the body used to performing when tired?
Btw, I don't follow any plan and just like you, try to do a long ride and a run on the weekend, the rest is just a filler.

Mark,

The most important thing in IM training is the frequency (train at least 5/6 days a week) and the aerobic engine. About being tired, I mean REALLY tired and sore. Beating yourself down will lead you to injury (this is very common in Ironman training), you can check this out in all the IM forums, half the people in there is battling some type of overuse injury.
The majority of your race day success will lie on pacing, not on your fitness.
2011-01-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3291990

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Swimming
skpaz - 2011-01-11 8:28 AM Ernesto,
I am using the begginer half Iron Man training in BT... for right now I am just starting it and figure I can stretch it out (since it is 20 weeks) because my half is in July. Should I just repeat some of the weekly trainings? Remember I also have a Marathon in late May. I do need more work in the pool. Can you explain to a new person like me what the pool trining means:
What does wu, main, and cd mean? What does this all mean in real words?

S: long day
wu: 200swim, 200kick, 200pull, 200swim
main: 1 x 1500, RPE 4 (alternate 1 x 1000)
cd: 4 x 50, each slower than last
thanks

You can start doing what you have in the first few weeks, maybe cut back some if it's much more than what you're doing right now.
WU: Warm up, CD: Cool down or warm down, RPE: rate of perceived exertion (in a scale from 1 to 10).
2011-01-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3290269

User image

Thanks Ernesto!
You really have me re-thinking my plan...
I do have a few questions.
1. Have you ever had pain in your knee and down the side of your leg when running?  It only happens after mile 3-4. It might be IT Band issues so I'm not sure of what to do, other than stretching before I run.
2. How do you keep from being too nervous when starting a race?

Thanks

Jennifer
2011-01-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3292616

User image

Master
Dallas
jrjoyce - 2011-01-11 12:11 PM Thanks Ernesto!
1. Have you ever had pain in your knee and down the side of your leg when running?  It only happens after mile 3-4. It might be IT Band issues so I'm not sure of what to do, other than stretching before I run.

Thanks

Jennifer

Jen,

I had IT band issues on my left leg a few years back after my first full marathon. I stopped running until I got help, I went to see an orthopedic Doctor. If I were you, that would be my next stop, it's hard to tell you from here because it could be many reasons (wrong shoes, wrong running form, previous underlying injury, etc.). One thing I will tell you: I do not stretch before or after my workouts, it actually has a negative impact and there's a lot to read about this. Instead, I do my first two miles VERY EASY and my last one the same way. You can even walk to warm up if you want to, or do an easy spin if it's the bike, I even warm up in the water and the risk of injury in there is next to zero.
About the pre-race jitters, you're looking for advice in the wrong place. I can't sleep more than three hours the day before a race, even a Sprint distance will get me in that mode. Sorry.
To the other people in the thread, can you give me some advice too? Laughing

2011-01-11 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
I think jitters are great, they can be turned into extra energy in the beginning of the race. I also tell myself that the importance of this playing and racing in the bigger scheme of things is like risk of injury in water -  next to zero. As far as sleeping, Advil PM 2 nights before, the night before I don't really worry about it and get as much as can.

Edited by markz 2011-01-11 7:43 PM
2011-01-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3292616

Verona
jrjoyce - 2011-01-11 12:11 PM Thanks Ernesto!

Thanks

Jennifer

Jennifer,
I am not an expert but after the few races and one tri I have done I realized that the night before is what it is... if I am prepared then just do what I normally would do any night. If I start worrying about not sleeping then that is what is going to happen. The night before my marathon I only slept 4 hours and I still did great!
Good luck with the knee!
2011-01-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3291583

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ernesto,

I feel SO NEW!  I know all of you were there once.

Can't do AMs.  Pool is 45 min away and so is gym for spin class.  I do not belong to the gym.  I am willing to drive to the pool since it's the only option, but I will have to substitute something for the spin class.

I did fill out the BT log.  Are you able to see that?

I don't have a Garmin, but am considering getting one.  I thought I might do a sprint tri first and make sure I want to do more.  Do you recommend the 305 or 405?

Define long as far as running and riding.

What I have done is to set a goal to swim 3 times/week, run 3 times/week and cycle 2 times a week.  I have also planned to combine those into one brick workout/week.

I have never "raced" at any of these sports, so this will be a first.

Is it a good idea to go from sprint to Olympic in the same season?  Do I train for Olympic distance and do a sprint first?  Or do I do an entire season of sprints?

Jackie
Just Do It
2011-01-12 2:14 PM

User image

Copenhagen
Hi Ernesto - are you still accepting new members to this group? Please let me know and i'll write my story...

/Kim
2011-01-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3295261

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-01-12 1:53 PM Ernesto,

I feel SO NEW!  I know all of you were there once.

Can't do AMs.  Pool is 45 min away and so is gym for spin class.  I do not belong to the gym.  I am willing to drive to the pool since it's the only option, but I will have to substitute something for the spin class.

I did fill out the BT log.  Are you able to see that?

I don't have a Garmin, but am considering getting one.  I thought I might do a sprint tri first and make sure I want to do more.  Do you recommend the 305 or 405?

Define long as far as running and riding.

What I have done is to set a goal to swim 3 times/week, run 3 times/week and cycle 2 times a week.  I have also planned to combine those into one brick workout/week.

I have never "raced" at any of these sports, so this will be a first.

Is it a good idea to go from sprint to Olympic in the same season?  Do I train for Olympic distance and do a sprint first?  Or do I do an entire season of sprints?

Jackie
Just Do It

Ok, now worries about not being able to make it in the mornings. The spin can be replaced by a spinerval DVD or something with intervals (the idea is to hit the anaerobic muscle fibers during that workout) while you ride your trainer.

Regardless, if your training log is updated, your current frequency is much less than 6 trainings a week. Always remember, endurance training is something your body has to get used to little by little. Running mileage increments should never be done more than 10% a week. The same applies to the bike. Swimming is pretty much the only thing you can do without limiters but even this one can give you overuse injury, such as swimmer’s shoulder.

Your idea of training 6 days is great, as long as you keep it within these “limits”.

Doing a Sprint and an Oly in the same season is perfectly feasible, mostly considering that you already have a background.

I recommend the Garmin 305 w/HR monitor. It is relatively cheap ($150 @ Best Buy) and it has all the needed features. The 405 has bad reviews, people always complaints that when you tap on the screen inadvertently it creates a split or stops the count. It only looks sleeker but nothing good about it.

Also, go do some 5Ks out there, this could be your speedwork and it will give you a lot of encouragement. Trust me, even a 5K will get my heart pumping with excitement.

And Jackie, the fact that you’re new to the sport makes it so much more exciting! I can’t wait until I hear how you did on your first race and all those feelings. I’ve been doing it for a while but it still never gets old. This is a lifetime sport and a great choice you have made. YOU WILL DO GREAT!

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-12 4:42 PM

2011-01-12 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3295319

User image

Master
Dallas
KimTri - 2011-01-12 2:14 PM Hi Ernesto - are you still accepting new members to this group? Please let me know and i'll write my story...

/Kim

Welcome to the Wagon Kim! Now give us your bio, social security number and bank accounts!
Just kidding, the bio and your goals will do. Smile

2011-01-12 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Mark,

How's the training going? I keep reading horror stories on CNN about the floodings in Australia.
I have a good reading to recommend for your training, I know you will love it. It's "The big book of endurance training and racing" by Phil Maffetone. He was the coach for Mike Pigg and Mark Allen back in the eighties and today he coaches new great "breakthrough" triathletes like Jodie Swallow.
His whole approach to the training thing is great and I've tried his methods with great success.
I hope everything is going well.
2011-01-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3295566

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-01-12 3:53 PM Mark,

How's the training going? I keep reading horror stories on CNN about the floodings in Australia.
I have a good reading to recommend for your training, I know you will love it. It's "The big book of endurance training and racing" by Phil Maffetone. He was the coach for Mike Pigg and Mark Allen back in the eighties and today he coaches new great "breakthrough" triathletes like Jodie Swallow.
His whole approach to the training thing is great and I've tried his methods with great success.
I hope everything is going well.

Ernesto, the stories are all true. The floods are unbelievable, and only 60 miles North from here. Right now it stopped raining and I actually managed a 100k ride this morning. I have to travel to Poland on Saturday for 2 weeks for family business and this will interrupt the training for sure. I love running there, but biking and swimming will have to wait.
Tank you for the book idea, will try to get it, sounds very interesting!

Edited by markz 2011-01-12 6:15 PM
2011-01-12 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Where's everybody else? Only five or six people doing all the talk, let us know how you're doing. Maybe some of you might think that this thread is for more "experienced" triathletes but the idea is to bring variety, that's why I didn't create an Ironman specific thread or a beginner's thread only.
If I was a beginner, I would like to learn from the people that has had a lot more exposure and an experienced triathlete; on the other hand, I like the candidness that the newbies bring to the sport, brings me back to those days when race wheels and splits didn't matter at all.
Ask your questions without fear of being qualified as an ignorant, we've all started somewhere knowing nothing. And you know what? that's not bad at all...Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25