BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-10 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3260273

Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group - OPEN
Hey! My name is Jennifer. 25 years old with a 3 year old and a new hubby who i'm trying to motivate to try this tri business with me. I played tennis in high school and college amd have always enjoyed running. I was a spin instructor in college but have found recently a soon bike is nothing compared to biking outdoors. Now I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts which makes it super hard to get out of bed some mornings. I hope to complete atleast one tri this year if not more. And btw....after spilling my guts can I be a part of this group?

2011-01-10 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3291108

User image

Expert
jcoble1209 - 2011-01-10 7:18 PM Hey! My name is Jennifer. 25 years old with a 3 year old and a new hubby who i'm trying to motivate to try this tri business with me. I played tennis in high school and college amd have always enjoyed running. I was a spin instructor in college but have found recently a soon bike is nothing compared to biking outdoors. Now I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts which makes it super hard to get out of bed some mornings. I hope to complete atleast one tri this year if not more. And btw....after spilling my guts can I be a part of this group?

Hi Jennifer, and welcome!
We ok- I love spilled guts! And it's an appropriate metaphor for a nurse
Are you looking at any specific  training plans and races?
2011-01-10 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
I wanted to swim today, but due to a mistake on my part I didn't have time. I had to take time during the middle of the morning to deliver my 5 yr old's backpack to him after we somehow left it in the car at drop off.To answer Heidi's question about workout planning...I try to plan my week ahead if time but build in some flexibility. For example, I have 4 days that I could swim, but I will usually go 3 times. I don't run on days that I have exercise class, so Mondays and Thursdays are out. That leaves plenty of wiggle room for 3 runs. I'm not currently cycling, but will do 2 lunchtime and hopefully 1 weekend ride in the spring.
2011-01-10 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3291108

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
jcoble1209 - 2011-01-10 7:18 PM Hey! My name is Jennifer. 25 years old with a 3 year old and a new hubby who i'm trying to motivate to try this tri business with me. I played tennis in high school and college amd have always enjoyed running. I was a spin instructor in college but have found recently a soon bike is nothing compared to biking outdoors. Now I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts which makes it super hard to get out of bed some mornings. I hope to complete atleast one tri this year if not more. And btw....after spilling my guts can I be a part of this group?

Welcome Jennifer!  Great to have you as part of the team!  Love to have your hubby too :-)  With 12 hour shifts are you working 3 or 4 days / week?  Definitely a unique training situation.  I bet you're not alone on that... would make for a good topic on the boards.  Anyway, spilling guts is most welcome here... cleaning crews work 'til midnight.

Found the thread on the barefoot running.  I think it would be worth reviewing for those of you considering it.

Barefoot Running
2011-01-10 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
with 3 kids, one who swims and plays soccer; a husband who does IM distance and is in training for one this year- I have to plan everything. I have a calendar with my training schedule, plus kids practice schedules, plus all other commitments- church stuff, family stuff, etc....

And then I have a friend who totally wings it and I'm jealous of that freedom.

Funny thing about abbreviations, when I first say this group I went, "Oh! MoP! Mothers of Preschoolers!" About 4 hours later I went oh DUH, middle of pack....

I'm somewhere between middle and back and totally cool with that. I still finish before every single person who never started.

Scrapped yoga or core work tonight; the husband just got home at 8:30pm from a business trip and it's time to relax. And maybe bond with some cookies.
2011-01-10 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Got a bike trainer session in tonight. Only 40 minutes. AAArrrgghh! Frustrated by my loss of cardiovascular conditioning, but I was able to get two workouts in today. Still have not ate dinner, but something has to go. ; )

Phil

2011-01-10 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3291302

User image

Expert
AKR18 - 2011-01-10 9:05 PM I'm somewhere between middle and back and totally cool with that. I still finish before every single person who never started.

That should be our group motto! 
2011-01-10 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3291324

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2011-01-10 9:17 PM
AKR18 - 2011-01-10 9:05 PM I'm somewhere between middle and back and totally cool with that. I still finish before every single person who never started.

That should be our group motto! 

Absolutely!
2011-01-11 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning everyone! What are your plans for the day?

I'm heading to the Y for a 30 minute run today, right after work. We're expecting a storm tonight, so I"ll plan to bike tomorrow.
2011-01-11 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Triathlon - swim, bike and run. Swim aarrrrgghhh! If I'm going to be a triathlete I must swim. My best intentions are to hit the pool and start swimming again. I'm thrilled. At least in my current sate I will be more buoyant.

Bike and lower body weights with a short run.

Phil
2011-01-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3292263

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2011-01-11 11:04 AM Triathlon - swim, bike and run. Swim aarrrrgghhh! If I'm going to be a triathlete I must swim. My best intentions are to hit the pool and start swimming again. I'm thrilled. At least in my current sate I will be more buoyant.

Phil

Can we pay some one fast to swim for us

2011-01-11 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3292311

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2011-01-11 11:20 AM
StlPhil - 2011-01-11 11:04 AM Triathlon - swim, bike and run. Swim aarrrrgghhh! If I'm going to be a triathlete I must swim. My best intentions are to hit the pool and start swimming again. I'm thrilled. At least in my current sate I will be more buoyant.

Phil

Can we pay some one fast to swim for us

I'm outsourcing my transitions... maybe that would work for swim too!
2011-01-11 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm on my way out for a swim now.   I'll hit the treadmill tonight and probably tomorrow as I expect to be snowed in.  I'm a wimp about driving in the snow.

2011-01-11 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I have a short run tonight. 5K...so slow it take sme about 34 minutes to complete.  Going to have to do it on the treadmil tonight.
2011-01-11 1:28 PM

User image

Hi Stu & Heidi,
I'm new to triathlons and would like to join your group! I'm 47 (almost 48!) and in 2000 I decided to clean up my act and started running. I had been a college soccer player, but had given it up during grad school and then a crazy work life. So, for the past sever several years I have been running on and off, have done various races just for fun, with the longest being a half marathon last year. I started playing tennis in 2001 and that's my competitive passion. Running has been my way of getting into shape in order to not get hurt on the tennis court. Regardless, after a stint with cancer in 2003, I've slowly made my way up in the recreational tennis world and I love it. Meanwhile, last year I did a duathon (run, bike, run) and absolutely loved it and the past two summers I swam laps, but just for fun.  I've never done any race with swimming to I'm a bit terrified. I've just simply been too chicken to try a triathlon! So, this is the year, I signed up for a sprint tri in March so even though I'm on two tennis teams and play on two ladders I joined a gym and have been doing strength workouts, like TRX, to get my core more in shape.
I guess the main reason I would like to join this group is to get some insight into fitting all of the various types of training into a normal week with high work demands and a maintaining a happy home life! Right now I figure I can do swimming 1 or 2 times a week and keep up with my biking to work and then a longer ride on the weekends.
Hope you all can help!
thanks,
Joanne
2011-01-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3292833

User image

Expert
beachprof - 2011-01-11 2:28 PM Hi Stu & Heidi,
I'm new to triathlons and would like to join your group! I'm 47 (almost 48!) and in 2000 I decided to clean up my act and started running. I had been a college soccer player, but had given it up during grad school and then a crazy work life. So, for the past sever several years I have been running on and off, have done various races just for fun, with the longest being a half marathon last year. I started playing tennis in 2001 and that's my competitive passion. Running has been my way of getting into shape in order to not get hurt on the tennis court. Regardless, after a stint with cancer in 2003, I've slowly made my way up in the recreational tennis world and I love it. Meanwhile, last year I did a duathon (run, bike, run) and absolutely loved it and the past two summers I swam laps, but just for fun.  I've never done any race with swimming to I'm a bit terrified. I've just simply been too chicken to try a triathlon! So, this is the year, I signed up for a sprint tri in March so even though I'm on two tennis teams and play on two ladders I joined a gym and have been doing strength workouts, like TRX, to get my core more in shape.
I guess the main reason I would like to join this group is to get some insight into fitting all of the various types of training into a normal week with high work demands and a maintaining a happy home life! Right now I figure I can do swimming 1 or 2 times a week and keep up with my biking to work and then a longer ride on the weekends.
Hope you all can help!
thanks,
Joanne

Hello Joanne, and Welcome! Of course, we have room for you.  Swimming in a race is pretty scary at first. Stu has great pointers on that, and I'm sure he'll share!
I think tennis is so much fun...too bad I'm terrible at it.
-Heidi

2011-01-11 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Sportz- if we lived closer, we could be running buddies. That's about my 5k pace at the moment. I'm hoping to see some improvements by focusing on 3 runs a week.
And, I have a similar  plan as you for today and tomorrow.
2011-01-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3292833

User image

Expert
beachprof - 2011-01-11 2:28 PM Hi Stu & Heidi,
I've never done any race with swimming to I'm a bit terrified. I've just simply been too chicken to try a triathlon! So, this is the year, I signed up for a sprint tri in March so even though I'm on two tennis teams and play on two ladders I joined a gym and have been doing strength workouts, like TRX, to get my core more in shape.

Hope you all can help!
thanks,
Joanne

Welcome to our group Joanne!  Glad you found us.  Love your screen name :-)  Before our daughter was born (many moons ago), I was a pretty serious tennis player, but when I tried to take it up again in my mid-40s, my knees and back didn't react too well to the hard courts anymore.  No doubt the tri and strength training will help your tennis game (if you can balance it all - my goodness that's alot!)

On the swimming, I would recommend for anyone doing their first tri, especially those who aren't strong swimmers, to try to find a sprint or a mini-tri with a pool swim which usually consists of doing 6-8 laps with a staggered start (10-15 secs apart).  That makes the swim very much like a normal workout (usually shorter).  It takes out 3 big issues that makes the OWS swim, shall we say, more exciting.  1) You don't have to worry much about getting kicked in the face or swum over, 2) you don't have to worry about waves/currents/glare/cold water and all the other fun environmental conditions, and 3) you don't have to worry about sighting (other than staying on your side of the lane).  Two additional benefits are 1) there's not as much congestion on the bike ride and 2) you get to have most of the experiences of a triathlon to learn from without some of the more challenging issues.  For instance you get to experience transitions and dead legs after the bike, etc.  Tris with the pool swim generally are a little easier I've found (not sure if you can count on that though).  The downsides are the long wait before you can start, thus making for a longer race-day, and once you're used to it, having lots of people around is more fun :-)

To all of those who love to dive into things head first roley poley, pell mell (like me, typically), please ignore the above paragraph ;-)

-Stu

2011-01-11 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3292807

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-01-11 2:17 PM I have a short run tonight. 5K...so slow it take sme about 34 minutes to complete.  Going to have to do it on the treadmil tonight.

That's a nice pace for a workout, Sportz.  Just get those runs in, we'll talk about some things you can do to improve your speed later on.  Right now, most important thing is to gradually build your base, and as Anne mentioned, not increasing the length of your runs too much.

I came across this article / blog about running in one of the threads today and I especially like the ultimate conclusion the writer (who btw, often contributes on the boards) comes to.  If you have a chance, its a quick read, and brings up lots of interesting points.

Stoic Running
2011-01-11 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Hi.  I'd like to join your mentor group, as you seem like a really friendly bunch who are more about motivation than times :-)

NAME: Chapfallen / Rachel

STORY:
Last year my husband told me that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before he hit 30.  He told me this about 2 months before his 30th birthday (beginning of July!), and he also told me he'd found a charity sprint triathlon that he wanted to do.  I was working on my fitness for my new job, and so decided to join him.  We did the sprint in June 2010.  As far as I was concerned that was going to be a (very enjoyable) one off.  And then a whole bunch of circumstances conspired against me and by August 2010 I found that I'd landed up with a whole bunch of friends who do Tri's to almost every different level, and I'd accidentally joined the local tri club.  Still not quite sure how that happened...

FAMILY STATUS:
Married (husband's in a different mentor group). No kids.  Two cats, one large dog. I try to take him running, but he's not the best behaved so he usually slows me down.  If the comment on my run says "with Barney", it's my excuse!  He's also the reason I have so much walking in my training log, but if I don't include the walking I start to wonder where all my time has gone, and it's all good for getting my legs up and moving.

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
One sprint (june 2010) and one "mini" in August 2010.  I think I got the order wrong there, but who's checking?

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm doing the 20 week Olympic 2x balanced program, but having to fiddle with it quite a lot as I work shifts (I'm a police officer) and have a very variable schedule.  I go to the local tri club weekly swim and track sessions whenever I'm not working, but it works out I can only go about 3 out of 5 weeks to each.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: We're planning a couple of sprints in April and May and then our first Olympic in June, with another in August.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): This is more of a new year's resolution, but I want to drop my weight by about 10kg.  Sorry to work in the wrong units - it's about 22lb.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP: I'm looking for a bit of extra motivation.  My husband's useful because we're training for the same event, but we have very different schedules (I work less days, but much longer shifts), and he's aiming to do more training than me, so when he ends the day and tells me about the long run AND long swim he managed to fit in it mostly just makes me feel bad that I didn't manage to do the same amount.  So having a group who are just looking at what I'm doing will be nice. 

I'm hoping to do the same for everyone else.  It helps to know that other people care what you've achieved today.  And finally, I'm in England, so I can post inspires for you all while you're all still asleep ;-)
2011-01-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3293576

User image

Expert
Hey Rachel and welcome! Next question... what the heck are you doing up so late :-) So, you've got the tri bug too... funny how that happens... great that your hubby is training too. No need to explain when you're drooling over some picture of a bike, smell like chlorine, etc. But enough about him, we're here for YOU! So glad you could join us... make yourself at home :-)Stu

2011-01-11 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3293576

User image

Expert
chapfallen - 2011-01-11 8:12 PM Hi.  I'd like to join your mentor group, as you seem like a really friendly bunch who are more about motivation than times :-)

NAME: Chapfallen / Rachel

STORY:
Last year my husband told me that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before he hit 30.  He told me this about 2 months before his 30th birthday (beginning of July!), and he also told me he'd found a charity sprint triathlon that he wanted to do.  I was working on my fitness for my new job, and so decided to join him.  We did the sprint in June 2010.  As far as I was concerned that was going to be a (very enjoyable) one off.  And then a whole bunch of circumstances conspired against me and by August 2010 I found that I'd landed up with a whole bunch of friends who do Tri's to almost every different level, and I'd accidentally joined the local tri club.  Still not quite sure how that happened...

FAMILY STATUS:
Married (husband's in a different mentor group). No kids.  Two cats, one large dog. I try to take him running, but he's not the best behaved so he usually slows me down.  If the comment on my run says "with Barney", it's my excuse!  He's also the reason I have so much walking in my training log, but if I don't include the walking I start to wonder where all my time has gone, and it's all good for getting my legs up and moving.

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
One sprint (june 2010) and one "mini" in August 2010.  I think I got the order wrong there, but who's checking?

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm doing the 20 week Olympic 2x balanced program, but having to fiddle with it quite a lot as I work shifts (I'm a police officer) and have a very variable schedule.  I go to the local tri club weekly swim and track sessions whenever I'm not working, but it works out I can only go about 3 out of 5 weeks to each.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: We're planning a couple of sprints in April and May and then our first Olympic in June, with another in August.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): This is more of a new year's resolution, but I want to drop my weight by about 10kg.  Sorry to work in the wrong units - it's about 22lb.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP: I'm looking for a bit of extra motivation.  My husband's useful because we're training for the same event, but we have very different schedules (I work less days, but much longer shifts), and he's aiming to do more training than me, so when he ends the day and tells me about the long run AND long swim he managed to fit in it mostly just makes me feel bad that I didn't manage to do the same amount.  So having a group who are just looking at what I'm doing will be nice. 

I'm hoping to do the same for everyone else.  It helps to know that other people care what you've achieved today.  And finally, I'm in England, so I can post inspires for you all while you're all still asleep ;-)

Welcome Rachel!
I loosely follow the training plan too. I try to get all the workouts in, but they rarely get to happen on the days they are scheduled for.
You're in the right place! Stu is better able to answer technical questions-I'm really the big cheerleader!
2011-01-11 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3293605

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2011-01-11 8:30 PM

Welcome Rachel!
I loosely follow the training plan too. I try to get all the workouts in, but they rarely get to happen on the days they are scheduled for.
You're in the right place! Stu is better able to answer technical questions-I'm really the big cheerleader!

Heidi, you must have me confused with some other Stu, but I agree, you're a great cheerleader! 

Well, I think we're getting pretty close to capacity and it's looking like a great group, so I think you'll be seeing the closed message on the board sometime tomorrow... if you've got a best buddy who you'd like to get in, tell 'em to stop being shy and join in!

See you all manana.  I had a great 2500 yd swim today, based on what my BIL dubbed, "Stu's Spirit Destroying Swim Workout", when we both suffered through it over the holidays together :-)

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2011-01-11 10:11 PM
2011-01-11 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3292912

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

That would be nice to have a running partner...but I did just read the article about stoic running...some food for thought while running alone.

2011-01-11 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3293542

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Thanks for the recommendation.  One of our daughters is very stoic and this article describes her whole attitude. She is the one who often tells me not to be a mental midget.  A great reminder to focus on what I am trying to accomplish. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26