Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-01-11 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - Open
Bummer.  Pool is closed today - so no swimming.  Unfortunately I've been eating planning on two workouts - so I guess I'll run again when I get home.  That stinks!!!Cry

2011-01-11 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3293011

Silver_wlf - 2011-01-11 2:38 PM Bummer.  Pool is closed today - so no swimming.  Unfortunately I've been eating planning on two workouts - so I guess I'll run again when I get home.  That stinks!!!Cry

HATE it when that happens. My local pool closed for 2 months this fall and had to be remodeled. So I feel your pain. And I was not about to pay 75 bucks a month to swim at the private pool. Getting back into it now though I will say I regret it. I hope your still get that workout in!
2011-01-11 3:52 PM

Diamond, Mujestic! Come back! hope you two are doing well and hope to see you here soon!
2011-01-11 4:35 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Is this group still open?  If so, do you have room for a newbie?
2011-01-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3293158

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bikermanmo - 2011-01-11 3:38 PM
Silver_wlf - 2011-01-11 2:38 PM Bummer.  Pool is closed today - so no swimming.  Unfortunately I've been eating planning on two workouts - so I guess I'll run again when I get home.  That stinks!!!Cry

HATE it when that happens. My local pool closed for 2 months this fall and had to be remodeled. So I feel your pain. And I was not about to pay 75 bucks a month to swim at the private pool. Getting back into it now though I will say I regret it. I hope your still get that workout in!

They closed my pool two years ago for over a month.  I was furious paying for my membership and not able to go. *grrrrr*  Then they closed it. 

I'm going to run - just sitting and relaxing for a bit.  I was going to have dinner with the BF but it's really snowy out and honestly ... I'm not a huge Chinese food fan.  I like making my own - real Chinese - but the chicken balls and egg rolls aren't my thing....
2011-01-11 4:39 PM

User image

me too?? can I join in?? thank you so much!! 

2011-01-11 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Hi Kerilynn and Emwilltri!!!!! Whoooohooooooo!!!!!
2011-01-11 5:56 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Hello, my name is Marie and if you have room for me, I would live to be in this group. I've only done one triathlon and it's been years. It's like starting off the couch. Let me know and I'll fill out the bio.
2011-01-11 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Wowza we have a real party going on over here!!

I had a good trainer spin tonight.  Been really consistent hitting my workouts lately.  That is a really big thing for me as I am usually my own worst enemy.

How about the rest of the gang.  What did you do to raise your heartrate today?

2011-01-11 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome to all of our new members. When you have the opportunity please fill out the information template at the top of this thread.
2011-01-11 7:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Fantastic that we are growing. Once we have 3 to 5 more join I will go ahead and close it off. If you have any friends give them hollar to come on over.

2011-01-11 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I finally talked myself off the couch and onto the treadmill.  Got another 3k in tonight. (Walk/Run)  I should probably do a whole run on it - but I HATE just running on the treadmill... the interval workouts seem to go faster!!!
2011-01-11 7:44 PM

WELCOME to all our new members! great to have you all!

I did a 3 mile run tonight. at mile 2 I totally bonked...and bad. Got super dizzy and sweaty. When I thought about why the heck I would bonk at only two miles, I realized I missed lunch....worked right through it. The Y I was at had free protein bars at the front so I ate half and continued the last mile. Just reminded me proper nutrition is vital when training. Have a great evening all! Big swim on the schedule for me tomorrow! Woohoo! 
2011-01-11 8:00 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Ok, here it goes!

NAME?  Emmaly

STORY?
Simply put, I have been overweight and out of shape for a long time.  In August 2010 my fiance and I decided to quit smoking.  In order to make it stick we began taking steps to living a healthier lifestyle.  We started with the "Couch to 5K" running program and buying bikes.  After a few months of biking and running we (ok, more he) started talking about triathlons and wanting to do one. (by this time he was also frequenting BT quite a bit and training in all 3 areas).  I have to admit I was skeptical...or to be more honest; scared. to. death. 

When I started the couch to 5k program I remember how hard it was to run for those 2-3 minute intervals, but after a few months I can now comfortably run for 40 minutes, and have been averaging around 4+ miles a day/5ish days a week.  Just this week I took the plunge and decided to start up with the biking and swimming.  I thought I was a "pretty decent" swimmer--that is, until I went swimming the first time at our Y.  I can't figure out how to breathe.  That probably sounds silly, but because I don't have a good breathing "strategy", I end up out of breath all the time.  So this is by far my greatest opportunity for improvement.

FAMILY STATUS?  Engaged - the big day is April 2nd...coming soon!  No kids yet, but we have a furbaby (pictured in my avatar)

CURRENT TRAINING?  I am still trying to figure out a good program by messing around with the custom training tools on here but don't have it nailed down yet.  Before this week I was basically just running everyday.  Now I am trying to do a balanced 3x week program split between the 3 areas (Sunday is my off day).  

ARE YOU A NEWCOMER TO ENDURANCE SPORTS OR A VETERAN?  Definitely a newbie!

UPCOMING RACES?  We plan on running an 8k called crazylegs at the end of April, a Sprint Triathlon (Lake Mills) on June 5th and an Olympic (Lake Geneva) on June 26th.  (all around the Madison, WI area)

WEIGHTLOSS?  I have seen some weightloss (about 20 lbs), but ultimately would still like to lose up to 50lbs more.

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM ME AS A MENTOR?   To help with the many questions I am bound to have, and provide support throughout my journey

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM BEING A MEMBER OF THE GROUP?  To learn, to support others & make new friends

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?  Other than everything above, I am 28 and the first sprint we are planning on doing falls right before my 29th birthday and is my present to myself.
Simply put, I have been overweight and out of shape for a long time.  In August 2010 my fiance and I decided to quit smoking.  In order to make it stick we began taking steps to living a healthier lifestyle.  We started with the "Couch to 5K" running program and buying bikes.  After a few months of casual biking and running we (ok, more he) started talking about triathlons and wanting to do one. (by this time he was also frequenting BT quite a bit and training in all 3 areas).  I have to admit I was skeptical...or to be more honest; scared. to. death. 

When I started the couch to 5k program I remember how hard it was to run for those 2-3 minute intervals, but after a few months of hard work and a ton of support from the hubster I can now comfortably run for almost 40 minutes, and have been averaging around 4+ miles a day/5ish days a week.  Today, I got over my phobia of swimwear and looking like an idiot and went (actual) swimming for the first time in probably 10+ years.  I know it wasn't pretty, but I did it and am proud of myself for taking the first step.  Laughing
2011-01-11 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3293636

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I took the plunge and decided to start up with the biking and swimming.  I thought I was a "pretty decent" swimmer--that is, until I went swimming the first time at our Y.  I can't figure out how to breathe.  That probably sounds silly, but because I don't have a good breathing "strategy", I end up out of breath all the time.  So this is by far my greatest opportunity for improvement..
Simply put, I have been overweight and out of shape for a long time.  In August 2010 my fiance and I decided to quit smoking.  In order to make it stick we began taking steps to living a healthier lifestyle.  We started with the "Couch to 5K" running program and buying bikes.  After a few months of casual biking and running we (ok, more he) started talking about triathlons and wanting to do one. (by this time he was also frequenting BT quite a bit and training in all 3 areas).  I have to admit I was skeptical...or to be more honest; scared. to. death. 

When I started the couch to 5k program I remember how hard it was to run for those 2-3 minute intervals, but after a few months of hard work and a ton of support from the hubster I can now comfortably run for almost 40 minutes, and have been averaging around 4+ miles a day/5ish days a week.  Today, I got over my phobia of swimwear and looking like an idiot and went (actual) swimming for the first time in probably 10+ years.  I know it wasn't pretty, but I did it and am proud of myself for taking the first step.  Laughing

Hey Em!!

Many people when they swim hold their breath.  Not intentionally - but they do and then they gasp when they do get the opportunity to breathe because they have to blow out and breathe in in a fairly short period of time.  So slowing down and ensuring that you are breathing out while swimming will help.

Plus - swimming is a totally different kind of fitness.  There is SO much technique involved as well as breathing control and coordination.

BTW - Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!! (And way to go for quitting smoking!!!)

Edited by Silver_wlf 2011-01-11 8:04 PM
2011-01-11 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3293645

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Silver_wlf - 2011-01-11 8:04 PM
I took the plunge and decided to start up with the biking and swimming.  I thought I was a "pretty decent" swimmer--that is, until I went swimming the first time at our Y.  I can't figure out how to breathe.  That probably sounds silly, but because I don't have a good breathing "strategy", I end up out of breath all the time.  So this is by far my greatest opportunity for improvement..

Hey Em!!

Many people when they swim hold their breath.  Not intentionally - but they do and then they gasp when they do get the opportunity to breathe because they have to blow out and breathe in in a fairly short period of time.  So slowing down and ensuring that you are breathing out while swimming will help.

Plus - swimming is a totally different kind of fitness.  There is SO much technique involved as well as breathing control and coordination.

BTW - Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!! (And way to go for quitting smoking!!!)

Thanks for the Congrats!!
You are so right about the breath holding....I caught myself doing it a few times (or simply taking a huge deep breath and holding it for too long).  I am hoping that once I spend a little more time in the water (and get more comfortable and less self conscious) it will get better. 

I'm so glad that the hubby found this site-everyone here is so supportive.  I look forward to my journey!

2011-01-11 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3293659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Make sure that you breathe out as much as possible while your head is submerged.

2011-01-11 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
One hour ride on the trainer tomorrow. Candence is getting really lonely.
2011-01-11 8:27 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Welcome Em! 

2011-01-12 6:28 AM

Good morning everyone! Have a great workout today.Saddle question: I just bought a felt s32, my first tri specific bike and now need to purchase a saddle. What are you all using currently? or recommend? Thanks!
2011-01-12 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3293977

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bikermanmo - 2011-01-12 6:28 AM Good morning everyone! Have a great workout today.Saddle question: I just bought a felt s32, my first tri specific bike and now need to purchase a saddle. What are you all using currently? or recommend? Thanks!

I have a Profile Design men's seat - it came on my bike and I rode it once and said "Yeah this isn't going to work for me."  You're welcome to it if you like.  It looks like this:
http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/saddles/titanium-saddles

I know a lot of guys rave about the Adamo seat - with no nose?  You might want to look at that as an option as well.

I have an ultra cheap Trek saddle on mine - it's so funny - I've tried 6-7 seats and this is the only one I like. It's a 20$ saddle from Trek/Bontrager and I bought one for both my bikes.

2011-01-12 8:55 AM

Scott, are you still accepting mentorees? 
2011-01-12 9:04 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Today is a running & swimming day.  I look forward to the run, but still am not excited about the swim.  My goals today are to try and focus more on my breathing and less on how silly I might look. 

It was suggested by a couple of people that I try using a kickboard out in front of me with my face in the water to practice my breathing--anyone else have any helpful hints/suggestions?

I will report later today how it all goes.

Happy Hump Day! Smile
2011-01-12 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Good Morning all!  Happy Wednesday.  Anyone else have a 3-day weekend coming up for MLK day?  That is one advantage of working for a bank.  I get every government holiday off!

Got a 2-workout day today.  I reall find these mentally challenging.  Run and swim.  Plan is to run at lunchtime in my neighborhood (I work from home).  Then the pool after work.  The fact that it is 28 degrees is making it even harder to mentally get my head around going out there for an hour.

So please gang...it's 9:00.  Can you please motivate me in the next 2 1/2 hours to get out there and run!

2011-01-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3293988

Silver_wlf - 2011-01-12 6:43 AM
bikermanmo - 2011-01-12 6:28 AM Good morning everyone! Have a great workout today.Saddle question: I just bought a felt s32, my first tri specific bike and now need to purchase a saddle. What are you all using currently? or recommend? Thanks!

I have a Profile Design men's seat - it came on my bike and I rode it once and said "Yeah this isn't going to work for me."  You're welcome to it if you like.  It looks like this:
http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/saddles/titanium-saddles

I know a lot of guys rave about the Adamo seat - with no nose?  You might want to look at that as an option as well.

I have an ultra cheap Trek saddle on mine - it's so funny - I've tried 6-7 seats and this is the only one I like. It's a 20$ saddle from Trek/Bontrager and I bought one for both my bikes.
I would love it! pm me what you want for it and I will get it over to you today! thanks
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12