BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-04-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3271134

New user

Alameda, CA
Subject: RE: Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL

Well, I guess you can say that "training" has officially started for me.... 

Yesterday I went with my boyfriend to the climbing gym that he always goes to, b/c it also has a fitness area in it. Off-the-Couch I ran 1 mile straight and biked for 30 minutes on the "difficult terrain" program (I forgot to look at distance... I was just looking at how long I had continually pedaled)

Then I woke up this morning and instead of just walking my dog on our normal route, I threw on the running shoes and RAN the normal route with her! 1.5 miles! I had to stop and walk for a little bit, but I was able to start up again. 

I also walk to and from work every day which is 3 miles round trip, which I can tell has helped me more than I thought it was. 

I was pretty proud of  how I was stretching and paying attention more to how my body was feeling... tips I learned from this site (i.e. walk 5 minutes, THEN stretch, then jog, then stretch, THEN run!) and I didn't get any shin splints like I always have in the past! I'm feeling great today!

Now I just need to figure out where I can practice swimming....

2011-04-11 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3439448

New user

Alameda, CA

Wow congrats on your 18 miles! So exciting! 

2011-04-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3439257

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Katiepony - 2011-04-11 12:22 AM

Oh, man.  I just did it.  I put out the cold hard cash and bought my registration.  Sunday, June 26, 2011. I'm really nervous all of a sudden.  I am worried I won't be able to get it all together by then.

I'm not a slacker, not a super-fit.  Just a regular, dedicated person who wants to do this thing.  If I keep swimming 3 x a week, one of which is a brick workout, and cycling 3 times a week, running 3 times a week, I will have to get there, right?  I'm nervous though...

Sorry about my incredibly high number of posts today.  It's been a slow Sunday.

Katie 

Congrats!  Nothing encourages you to keep training by signing up for a race!!  And, yes, you will be ready with your training schedule. 

2011-04-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3440988

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
mmw329 - 2011-04-11 7:16 PM

Well, I guess you can say that "training" has officially started for me.... 

Yesterday I went with my boyfriend to the climbing gym that he always goes to, b/c it also has a fitness area in it. Off-the-Couch I ran 1 mile straight and biked for 30 minutes on the "difficult terrain" program (I forgot to look at distance... I was just looking at how long I had continually pedaled)

Then I woke up this morning and instead of just walking my dog on our normal route, I threw on the running shoes and RAN the normal route with her! 1.5 miles! I had to stop and walk for a little bit, but I was able to start up again. 

I also walk to and from work every day which is 3 miles round trip, which I can tell has helped me more than I thought it was. 

I was pretty proud of  how I was stretching and paying attention more to how my body was feeling... tips I learned from this site (i.e. walk 5 minutes, THEN stretch, then jog, then stretch, THEN run!) and I didn't get any shin splints like I always have in the past! I'm feeling great today!

Now I just need to figure out where I can practice swimming....

Well done!

2011-04-11 10:14 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Yay! I swam a mile tonight! Not in the best form, but I finished strong. A little over an hour. I was freaked out over the tarps that had to be pulled and the people passing me. I hope this isn't an issue at the triathlon this May. Crap.

I finished!!!

2011-04-11 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3441390

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-04-11 11:14 PM

Yay! I swam a mile tonight! Not in the best form, but I finished strong. A little over an hour. I was freaked out over the tarps that had to be pulled and the people passing me. I hope this isn't an issue at the triathlon this May. Crap.

I finished!!!

Congratulations!!!

2011-04-12 4:35 AM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Wow. I was tired last night when I posted. When I said not the best form, I didn't mean that my swimming wasn't in good form. I kept the best form I could. I was just the last of the good swimmers to finish. There were others behind me, but I was the last that they allowed to finish. I sped up at the last 10 meters and wondered if I could keep up a faster pace except I don't think so. My heart races too much to keep that up. I'm just glad I finished.

And OMG. My shoulders and back feel it this morning!

2011-04-12 9:33 AM

I'm curious what suggestions people have about bike workouts.  I have to workout at 5am, so biking outside isn't a possibility for me except for the weekends.  So I could:

a) stationary bike: this is what I end up doing.  I've really been trying to put it on a higher 'level' so I actually get a good workout.  Ideas to make it better?
b) spin: unfortunately my gym doens't have classes early enough
c) road bike on trainer:  I have a trainer, but find it incredibly BORING.  I would sit on this and bike, but I literally can't do it for more than 5 minutes.  Even with ondemand or a movie, I can't stand it.  Am I missing something with it???
d) go out on my bike: its dark. Don't really want to bike in the dark.

What do other people do?  My run and bike are really weak and I'd like to make it stronger so I don't just 'finish' it by the race, but actually feel ok when I finish.  I'm up for suggestions!!

-Jessika

2011-04-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3441977

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Jessikakissling - 2011-04-12 10:33 AM

I'm curious what suggestions people have about bike workouts.  I have to workout at 5am, so biking outside isn't a possibility for me except for the weekends.  So I could:

a) stationary bike: this is what I end up doing.  I've really been trying to put it on a higher 'level' so I actually get a good workout.  Ideas to make it better?
b) spin: unfortunately my gym doens't have classes early enough
c) road bike on trainer:  I have a trainer, but find it incredibly BORING.  I would sit on this and bike, but I literally can't do it for more than 5 minutes.  Even with ondemand or a movie, I can't stand it.  Am I missing something with it???
d) go out on my bike: its dark. Don't really want to bike in the dark.

What do other people do?  My run and bike are really weak and I'd like to make it stronger so I don't just 'finish' it by the race, but actually feel ok when I finish.  I'm up for suggestions!!

-Jessika

I really try to use my bike on a trainer more often than anything else.  It's boring and it sucks, but it's the closest to riding a real bike.  You can get training videos (like Spinervals) that lead you through a workout and it helps a little.

2011-04-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3441977

User image

Marshall Michigan

Bike workouts - I go in the dark, just get some of those lcd lights, they flash and can be recharged in my usp port on computer, I also got a extra red flasher and stick to my helmet or if running on my back collar.  Now i do live in a smaller town, and traffic is very low before 6:30am so it works for me.

I stay in town so street lights help me see where I'm going, the biggest concern is people coming out of thier driveways.  I really like riding in dark make me feel like a super hero or something....

2011-04-12 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Finally started running this weekend.

I made sure to start with the walking and a good stretch. Then started running. I forgot how violent running is on the body. It took the first mile to finally get that zoned in feeling. After a mile and a half I returned to walking and stretched out.

I have to say it really feels good.

Today on my way to work (I walk to work. approx. 1.75 miles) I found myself wanting to run. lol

Anyway, feels good to be working out and running. Next on my list is to start swimming.

2011-04-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3443038

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
Cagolddigger - 2011-04-12 4:41 PM

Finally started running this weekend.

I made sure to start with the walking and a good stretch. Then started running. I forgot how violent running is on the body. It took the first mile to finally get that zoned in feeling. After a mile and a half I returned to walking and stretched out.

I have to say it really feels good.

Congratulations!

For me, my moment of the day was finally feeling like I was getting the front crawl down in the pool.  I've been working on it for the past two weeks (about 5 different times) and finally today I swam a full length using the "proper" form.  I've read and watched a lot.  I finally feel as though it's clicking in my mind.  I was very proud of myself. Laughing

2011-04-12 11:27 PM

New user

Alameda, CA

2 big moments in my day:

1) when I was running this morning, I added an extra block in the neighborhood to our regular route, and I ran the whole time! (except for about 30 paces where I was dealing with doggie mayhem) When I ran past the spot where I stopped to walk yesterday morning I couldn't help but smile to myself. And I'm still feeling really good.... a little sore, but not too bad.

2) I just got new, luscious running shoes (i have been running on road in trail runners bc it's all I had... and since I had ankle surgery I wanted to  make sure i was being safe..) AND I just got a bike! The bike is a super heavy clunker old school road bike, but it's better than nothin and it was cheap! I'll prolly upgrade by the time it's close to the race in September, but for now it'll work great for commuting and getting used to being on a bike again... and some training rides, too.

I decided that this week is dedicated to me just being consistent with getting out there and trying.... I'm not really focusing on time/distance... just focusing on making sure that I'm holding myself responsible to get out of bed a little earlier and do it and making sure my body feels good. next week I'll start paying closer attention to time/distance. 

Congrats to everyone else big accomplishments for the day!

2011-04-13 10:42 AM

I think I'll get a spinnervals DVD and try it out, anyone tried one that is not too hard and ok for a beginner?

I just wanted to let y'all know that this morning would've normally been a day I would have rolled over into bed and just 'done it tomorrow'. Instead, I thought about staying motivated, and I got my up and did my run/walk at the gym!!! Thankyou!

2011-04-13 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3444280

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Jessikakissling - 2011-04-13 11:42 AM

I think I'll get a spinnervals DVD and try it out, anyone tried one that is not too hard and ok for a beginner?

I just wanted to let y'all know that this morning would've normally been a day I would have rolled over into bed and just 'done it tomorrow'. Instead, I thought about staying motivated, and I got my up and did my run/walk at the gym!!! Thankyou!

There are some free workouts here, but they are not video.

There is a Spinervals 101 video as an intro and from there, they recommend some other beginner videos.  I haven't used any of them.  I would recommend checking your local library.  I hear some carry them or can get them from other libraries.

2011-04-13 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

It's great to see everyone getting out there and working out. There is nothing better than feeling that sense of acomplishment.

Today, for me? Today is a snow day. lol Plus it's my day of rest.

Everyone keep it up!

Edited by Cagolddigger 2011-04-13 4:16 PM

2011-04-13 9:17 PM

Ran yesterday, was running and chatting and ended up running 3.57 miles in 31 min. Woo-hoo, that averaged out to an 8:41 m/m!

Surprised

I was so excited, I have never run that fast. Makes me feel like all these "slower" runs are really helping.

I made it official , signed up for s super sprint in May ( On Mothers Day) and a sprint in June. Money is gone so now I HAVE to keep on training!

Yolanda

2011-04-13 9:24 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Some information about gear and clothing for races:

What is must-have gear for a triathlon?

There's not a lot of "must have" gear. It's pretty basic - goggles, bike, helmet, and running shoes. If you have a road bike, that is fine. I still do all of my tris on a road bike. I don't think it's worth investing a ton of money upfront. You'll learn what you like and what you don't like as you do races.

What do you wear for a triathlon? Is a wetsuit necessary?

For what to wear, I really recommend a pair of tri shorts, for the girls a sports bra that dries out quickly, and a close-fitting top. There will not be a private place to change in transition, so you'll want something you can wear for the whole race. I've tried putting on clothes while wet, but that is tough!!!

As far as a wetsuit, it depends where your race is and when it is. I don't recommend it if the water temp is going to be too warm - above about 75 degrees makes you overheat in a wetsuit. If you do wear a wetsuit, you wear all your clothes for the race underneath and then take the suit on in the first transition.

2011-04-13 11:56 PM

User image

Just squeaked in a run today--feeling like I haven't quite been measuring up the way I'd like.  I didn't go to swim class today. On Monday I ended up feeling like it wasn't worth it because we spent a bunch of time on breast-stroke when all I wanted was front-crawl lap time, but I was just being silly. Learning a little breast-stroke is very useful and I think I'll try to practice it at least a little from now on.

My trainer bike is derailed right now, thanks to a shredding tire (a brand new trainer specific Vittoria, grr...) so biking has been slowed down.  I'm just going to hit the actual road tomorrow night and be done with fussing for a "perfect" routine.

I DID run tonight!  I was a little nervous that I couldn't do it, and discussed it with a running coworker, who then asked if was running too fast.  Tonight I slowed down and successfully jogged a very easy 2.4 miles.  I did some great running the last three blocks and felt so happy! 

Is it considered over-training to run 5 days a week?  I like the idea of an unchangeable habit, you know?

Edited by Katiepony 2011-04-13 11:57 PM
2011-04-14 2:45 AM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Well, my bike is finally repaired. This past weekend during the mini tri the chain kept popping off as I shifted gears. It was very frustrating having to stop several times during the ride to replace my chain. So I hope the bike shop has repaired it to where I won't have any difficulties at the race. Good thing I have time to train beforehand.

This Saturday we're cycling around 40 miles, going home, then meeting later in the day for OWS on the other side of town. Since we're all going to be out, we're hanging out as a team. So it'll be a full day of training and fellowship. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I need more OWS practice, though. Over the next few weekends I'll be going to the lake and practicing my swim to get more comfortable with the water. I'm having such terrible panic attacks out there that I'm exhausted after only a few strokes.

2011-04-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3445765

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Katiepony - 2011-04-14 12:56 AM

Is it considered over-training to run 5 days a week?  I like the idea of an unchangeable habit, you know?

Short answer: maybe.

Long answer: what does your weekly schedule look like?  Simple as: Monday, run, Tuesday, bike, etc

I definitely encourage you to have one rest day per week.  Some people get away with not having them at all, but I find them very useful, especially when starting out.

2011-04-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3445800

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-04-14 3:45 AM

I need more OWS practice, though. Over the next few weekends I'll be going to the lake and practicing my swim to get more comfortable with the water. I'm having such terrible panic attacks out there that I'm exhausted after only a few strokes.

Do you start swimming right away when you get in the water?  At least for now, it might be helpful to get into the water and hang out for a few minutes before you start swimming.  Get used to the temperature (cold water always seems to cause more panic attacks) and float around before you start your workout.  And don't be afraid to pop up, take a few deep breaths, and then go back to swimming!  I still do that in races sometimes!!

2011-04-14 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

I didn't want to wake up today. I've been working long hours this week.

I finally decided to get my butt up and run. It was one of those days when you just run to get it done. One mile only. As much as I just wanted to sleep in, I did go kicking and screaming. lol

I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

2011-04-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3446392

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Artemis - 2011-04-14 10:10 AM
goofee girl - 2011-04-14 3:45 AM

Do you start swimming right away when you get in the water?  At least for now, it might be helpful to get into the water and hang out for a few minutes before you start swimming.  Get used to the temperature (cold water always seems to cause more panic attacks) and float around before you start your workout.  And don't be afraid to pop up, take a few deep breaths, and then go back to swimming!  I still do that in races sometimes!!

Yeah, actually my coaches encourage us to dive right in and start swimming. I'll try the slow approach you suggest first. The water is definitely cold and I really begin to panic immediately. Thanks for the new direction I'm going to take!

2011-04-14 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3447364

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Cagolddigger - 2011-04-14 5:07 PM

I didn't want to wake up today. I've been working long hours this week.

I finally decided to get my butt up and run. It was one of those days when you just run to get it done. One mile only. As much as I just wanted to sleep in, I did go kicking and screaming. lol

I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Great job!!!  Getting up and getting out there is tough!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22