of 14

2011-04-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3462814

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - OPEN
joel.blair - 2011-04-24 2:21 AM

I haven't even begun brick workouts yet. they seem tough. Especially at that kind of temperatures. It got to 68 degrees here in ohio and i was sweating like crazy! 6.9 mile run. 1hr 19min. trying not to push to hard for my RACE next saturday. This will be my second race. The first was a 5k on march 26th.

Im a bit nervous. I did set a couple of goals. I do not know very well what to expect. What kinds of training, eating, sleeping or anything should i do race week?

also, I started getting fit and running this winter. I have yet to run in temps above 70 degrees. Any warmer weather tips? What to wear? eat? drink?

did i already say i was nervous?

It will be a good idea to do a brick or 2 before the race, just do them "easy", the point is to try it, not see how fast you can run of the bike Then come race day you will know what will be coming. To make the transition easier slow down the last 2 min before transition, if you are a masher it is a good idea to spin a lower gear. Dont sprint through T2 and dont start running to fast. Then it should not be too bad

Just keep doing what you have done so far, but take it down a bi the last week. Take a rest day 2 days before the race. The day before just do something easy like a 30 min bike just spinning. This will "wake" the body up after the rest day and you get a chance to check if the bike is ready for the race

I dont have a lot of warm weather experience, but I actually find it easier to drink enough when it is warm, as you feel a lot warmer. I find it a lot harder to drink when it is cold, as you dont feel you need it. On the bike try to drink 1 bottle every hour ! If you run less then 40 min dont bother bringing water (unless it is really warm) just drink when you are done running.

And it is very normal to be nervous It will probably go on right up to the swim start, but then it will stop. Just relax, think the race through especially the transition and you will do awesome

2011-04-26 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3466019

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Niezels - 2011-04-26 11:50 AM

My 5K went superb!!

At the start my goal and numbers: Beat my PB of 27m38s by going sub 27m. However at a temperature of 25C (77F) and sunny I wasn't all that confident of achieving sub 27m. It at least got me nerveus. I had ran too much lately due to some pain in my knee that needed nursing.

But the adrenaline of running with 1000 other runners through the heart of Utrecht with a lot of spectators cheering you on does a lot with ones spirit.

Result: New PB with 26m22s, Official registered Netto time. And for the record even my bruto time was better than my old PB at 27m30s

Biggets win on my time was by keeping a flat pace. During my old record my best K was 5m05 and my worst 5m55. Yesterday I was able to close that gap to 5m04s and 5m27s.

Not sure when I will be beating this record again. As I have decided to go for 10K races now. Cause the downside of a 5K is that it only lasts 27 minutes. And I want more of it!!! ;o)

PB by over 1 min

Way top go, and great job pacing it

Congratulations you did AWESOME
2011-04-26 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Regular
Utrecht

TY TY TY. And yes Holly tomorrow I will go for a swim.

For now a quick note of pride. As runningpractice was not an option today I hit the road on the bike with some clubmembers who also had a match yesterday. It was a group of 5 including current national female champion on the run bike run (May) and 2 males who did a <1h20m 1/2 marathon the day before (inlcuding the argument is was to hot to go fast). And not just was I able to keep up with them. During 10K I even led the pack as the pacer doing 33 to 35 km/hour. I know for them this is a recovery ride and I will be sore tomorrow.

But still I feel very proud of doing this. May even complimented me on my pacework as a sweet tempo. And another guy opted me as a teammember for the next team trial. Like the sound of it. But that is a bit to soon. But it might become a sweet goal for next year when I've done a bit more of mileage at a fast pace. Though I won't tri for the top team. Those just look like pros

2011-04-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3466019

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Niezels - 2011-04-26 7:50 PM

My 5K went superb!!

At the start my goal and numbers: Beat my PB of 27m38s by going sub 27m. However at a temperature of 25C (77F) and sunny I wasn't all that confident of achieving sub 27m. It at least got me nerveus. I had ran too much lately due to some pain in my knee that needed nursing.

But the adrenaline of running with 1000 other runners through the heart of Utrecht with a lot of spectators cheering you on does a lot with ones spirit.

Result: New PB with 26m22s, Official registered Netto time. And for the record even my bruto time was better than my old PB at 27m30s

Biggets win on my time was by keeping a flat pace. During my old record my best K was 5m05 and my worst 5m55. Yesterday I was able to close that gap to 5m04s and 5m27s.

Not sure when I will be beating this record again. As I have decided to go for 10K races now. Cause the downside of a 5K is that it only lasts 27 minutes. And I want more of it!!! ;o)

Congrats!  That is pretty awesome!

And congrats on the fantastic bike ride as well... that sounds like a lot of fun.  I have yet to try a group ride.

2011-04-26 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3467668

So today I fergot my watch on my run and I ran much better. 4km in 30 min....so i must have wasted a lot of time looking at my watch the other days or just had a great run today. The weather was perfect to though hmm.
2011-04-27 9:42 AM

User image

Dayton OH

CONGRATS NIEZELS!

Just before you posted your results you were posting about slacking. I basically think some good, extra rest before a race is a good idea. I hope to do a personal best myself this weekend. Only, its easier if you have never raced 10k before. So, as long as, "DNF" doesn't come up, then PERSONAL BEST!

Thanks everyone for all the heat, brick and even fashion advice (rtakahashi your contributions to my summer wardrobe are invaluable).  I need all the help i can get. This group helps me keep it together!

2011-04-27 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

I agree on the rest before a race. However this was not an important race for me. The important ones are yet to come. And those need hardcore training.

But to build the pressure a bit for you. I feel that if you do not smile at the finish the PB doesn't count either Wink

2011-04-27 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3468729

Austin, TX

Joel,

I'm glad to spread my knowledge and passion for fashion. You don't know how excited I got when I was able to find a coordinating tri top and shorts that fit perfectly (and were on sale)! But seriously, its not what you wear, but how you wear it. And like Niezels said, the best thing you can wear crossing the finish line and/or earning a PB is a smile! I have a race myself on Saturday and trying for a PB. But even if I don't get it, I'll still be since its a charity race with good friends at my side. GOOD LUCK! And a belate congrats to Niezels! 

2011-04-27 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Hi All,

My name is Christi I'm 45 y.o. and I live in Albany Oregon. I'm married, have a dog and a cat and work full time as a paramedic. I've been active in sports all my life, but my fitness has declined over the last 5-6 years as my computer use has increased and I've gotten older and had nagging little injuries.  Last fall I committed to participating in a sprint tri with my nephew and his future wife.  The race is June 11th and I found this website in January when I started "training".  This will be my first race and I'm hoping to use the race and the training goals to get me "hooked" on being active in multiple disciplines.  

I re-learned to swim as an adult about a year ago and have improved over the course of the year (still have a long way to go).  I have a great road bike, but need to put in time on it.  I have never been a runner and don't have a lot of positive thoughts about it. A friend recently loaned me her "Chi Running" book and although I've just started reading it, am hopeful that someday it might be something I need to do.

For now, I am happy putting in time walking and hoping that by doing all the other activities I can get to a point where running is not so dreadfully hard.  I know that I can walk the run portion of the race if necessary.  

I had a big motivation drop off during the last few weeks.  I took a two week cruise and walked everyday.  When I came back,  I learned the first set of mentor groups were over and that combined with my short break too the wind out of my sails.  In order to get back on track I decided to join another mentor group to be inspired by you all and have accountability to more people.  Another positive is that the friend who lent me the running  book is also training for her first sprint tri and we are talking about doing some workouts together occasionally.

I'm a busy person and finding the time and energy to train is challenging.  Right now I'm just soaking up all the info I can and incorporating what works for me and my lifestyle.  

Christi

2011-04-28 1:03 AM
in reply to: #3470452

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
cvochristi - 2011-04-28 12:27 PM

Hi All,

My name is Christi I'm 45 y.o. and I live in Albany Oregon. I'm married, have a dog and a cat and work full time as a paramedic. I've been active in sports all my life, but my fitness has declined over the last 5-6 years as my computer use has increased and I've gotten older and had nagging little injuries.  Last fall I committed to participating in a sprint tri with my nephew and his future wife.  The race is June 11th and I found this website in January when I started "training".  This will be my first race and I'm hoping to use the race and the training goals to get me "hooked" on being active in multiple disciplines.  

I re-learned to swim as an adult about a year ago and have improved over the course of the year (still have a long way to go).  I have a great road bike, but need to put in time on it.  I have never been a runner and don't have a lot of positive thoughts about it. A friend recently loaned me her "Chi Running" book and although I've just started reading it, am hopeful that someday it might be something I need to do.

For now, I am happy putting in time walking and hoping that by doing all the other activities I can get to a point where running is not so dreadfully hard.  I know that I can walk the run portion of the race if necessary.  

I had a big motivation drop off during the last few weeks.  I took a two week cruise and walked everyday.  When I came back,  I learned the first set of mentor groups were over and that combined with my short break too the wind out of my sails.  In order to get back on track I decided to join another mentor group to be inspired by you all and have accountability to more people.  Another positive is that the friend who lent me the running  book is also training for her first sprint tri and we are talking about doing some workouts together occasionally.

I'm a busy person and finding the time and energy to train is challenging.  Right now I'm just soaking up all the info I can and incorporating what works for me and my lifestyle.  

Christi

Welcome Christi!  Looking forward to having you as part of the group!

Running can be kinda brutal sometimes, but just run as often as you can, and don't worry at all about speed.  Lots of slow jogs, and within no time you will cruising along at a good clip.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

-- Duncan

2011-04-28 1:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Just wanted to share my great run that I had today.

Yesterday I did 30 minutes on the track in the early afternoon, and got about 5.3 kms done, which is a little slow for what I have been doing recently.  I felt absolutely terrible, and almost quit at 2km, 3km, 4km and 5km.... but managed to hold on for the whole 30 minutes (well, actually, since I arrived at my water bottle with about 15 seconds left, I called it then.

Today, I got out at noon, and again, went for 30 minutes.  Was moving along at a good clip, and was feeling great.  About 3 km in I glanced at my time, and realized I was just over 5 min / km.  I ignored the time for the two km, and just tried to keep a steady pace, but when I hit 5km I had to check.  25:35.   OH SO CLOSE to a 5min/km pace... so for the last 4:25 seconds i pushed a little more... time ran out at 5.94 km... just 60 meters short.

Still, and excellent run, and a pace of 5:03 min / km over 6km (well, almost).  When I finished, I felt like I could have kept going, but had a meeting to attend 10 minutes later, so had to stop.  Feeling pretty good right now!!!

2011-04-28 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3470492

User image

Champion

DUNCAN -

HERE'S where you are these days! Hope all is well with you, and it sounds it from the above post. Cool beans!

2011-04-28 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3470452

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
cvochristi - 2011-04-28 4:27 AM

Hi All,

Christi

Hi Christi

Welcome to the group
I am sure you will fit in fine here, we are a great group

I would so like to go on a cruise right now, I am really getting tired of the weather around here. Just to be outside and being able to feel the sun actually warming you.......Well hopefully the summer will come soon......hmm....I have been saying that a lot lately !

Edited by Mesteren 2011-04-28 6:26 AM
2011-04-28 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3470564

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
stevebradley - 2011-04-28 11:19 AM DUNCAN - HERE'S where you are these days! Hope all is well with you, and it sounds it from the above post. Cool beans!

Hi Steve

Want to join the fun ?

2011-04-28 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Hey there, all. Mostly I've been plugging away, but I did feel like I was slacking a bit last weekend. Yesterday I went for a bike ride - a little shorter than I usually go, about 12.5 miles where I usually go 15 or 20; I did a lot better plowing through the prevailing (strong) headwind on the way back than usual, and I was pretty happy with myself.

Today is a swim day, but it is pretty and I might try to squeeze in a run as well.

2011-04-29 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

@ Duncan: That is how running is supposed to be or training in general. The great journey in it self with sweet highlights like these. You make me jealous ;o)

@ Calluna: Slacking..? really. Well don't be to hard on yourself. You show to have the tri blood running, already thinking in squeezing an extra workout in.

@ Christi: Welcome! Yeah well that is one of the nice challenges in triathlon. focus on the parts that are the weak spots. Investing there against fun to enjoy later. I have that with swimming what you have with running. But I think your future will tell that by the time you get better and better (making longer runs) it will become more and more fun. It might even beat yout fun in swimming and biking.

Ok so yesterday I learned that "at your own pace" is anything but your own pace. During biketraining there were 2 instances were the trainer said till there you can go on your own pace:

1. At the start of an incline of a high bridge
  2. At the beginning of a 3K track along a canal

In both cases it became a true match between all trainees. The first I was able to win by climbing at 40km/hr *shock*. during the second someone jumped at the start going 46 and while having issues in closing the gap someone else jumped over me. That is where I decided to just really go at my own pace.

Tomorrow I'm gonna join a girlfriend on a bike trip to her parents for 200KM. I probably will stop around the 150KM marker as I have a BBQ as well to attend.

Have a fun weekend all!

2011-04-29 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody

I was a bad boy yesterday and skipped a workout
But I just did not want to go running outside in the storm and rain, and I did not have a rest day this yet so I think it was ok Today the weather is very good so I will stop working early And get a nice long bike in

Nielzels you are turning into an animal on the bike

A lot of us will be racing this weekend :

joel.blair has a 10km run
rtakahashi  has a 5k run
calluna has a practice tri in preparations for her first Tri next weekend

Yours truly will race a 5k on sunday, then a 20k TT (Time trail, bike) Wednesday, before going to Germany for the my first Tri of the year next Sunday.

I will leave Thursday and not be back until Tuesday morning, I will have internet available but dont plan on spending to much time in front of the computer. I will check up on you but I will probably not give any big motivations speeches.

I hope you will all have a great weekend with some good weather as race season is approaching very fast ! And we want to be ready for it

2011-04-29 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Wow, some of you are putting in long distances in running and biking!  I look forward to the day when I can be casual about running 5k and biking 15k.  Yes, I need discipline to not skip the bike work out.  We'll see how next week goes.  The weather is getting better and time will be the issue.  I will get two rides in somehow next week.  

Have a great weekend and good luck with races and training!

Christi

2011-04-30 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3474470

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Got my "practice" tri later this morning - I'm glad to have the opportunity but nervous and this isn't even the real deal! Although the distances are real enough. Wish I had eaten a little less last night.

It's 43F and sprinkling...I think I'm going to bring some extra layers...

Argh. Well, I'll let you know how it goes.

2011-04-30 11:32 AM

New user

San Juan
Hi! I'd like to join your mentoring program. I am a 31 year old female. I live in an island on the Caribbean Sea called Puerto Rico so no cold training weather for me! Our average temperature during the day right now would be in the mid 80 degrees Farenheit but it will continue to go up throughout the summer reaching 100-103 degrees at noon. I am doing my first SPRINT triathlon tomorrow which I have been training for a couple of months, although I have always been active in terms of exercise. My routine consists of spinning classes 1-2 times a week plus one cycling training of approx 12 miles out on the road, running 5k twice a week, one strength training a week and swimming 800m twice a week in our local olympic swimming pool. So far, I am averaging 19-20 mins on 750m swim, 45mins for a 12 mile cycling trek, and 9-10 minutes per mile running. I do not like to run, so it has been the most challenging part of my training and have only been doing cycling and swim training for a very short while. Will let you know how I did tomorrow!
2011-04-30 12:55 PM

Austin, TX

Hi Everyone!

I had very low expectation for this morning's 5K, but did end up achieving a PB on a 5K at 28:35. The last time I did a 5K was in 2009 and ran it in 30:45 or so. It was humid and I was a little sleepy, but did my normal routine of starting out slow below race pace, then kicked into a higher gear after the first mile. Celebrated my PB with free beer and ice cream! Hope Joel.Blair and Calluna also have their own celebratory stories to share as well! Thanks everyone for the motivation!

-- Rebecca 

2011-04-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3474470

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
cvochristi - 2011-04-30 4:57 AM

Wow, some of you are putting in long distances in running and biking!  I look forward to the day when I can be casual about running 5k and biking 15k.  Yes, I need discipline to not skip the bike work out.  We'll see how next week goes.  The weather is getting better and time will be the issue.  I will get two rides in somehow next week.  

Have a great weekend and good luck with races and training!

Christi

Hi Christi
It is only a question of time before you will be casual about running and biking
But you do need to get on the bike to get there I hope you will get better weather soon so you can get out on the open road

2011-04-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3474758

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
monicasanchez0910 - 2011-04-30 4:32 PM Hi! I'd like to join your mentoring program. I am a 31 year old female. I live in an island on the Caribbean Sea called Puerto Rico so no cold training weather for me! Our average temperature during the day right now would be in the mid 80 degrees Farenheit but it will continue to go up throughout the summer reaching 100-103 degrees at noon. I am doing my first SPRINT triathlon tomorrow which I have been training for a couple of months, although I have always been active in terms of exercise. My routine consists of spinning classes 1-2 times a week plus one cycling training of approx 12 miles out on the road, running 5k twice a week, one strength training a week and swimming 800m twice a week in our local olympic swimming pool. So far, I am averaging 19-20 mins on 750m swim, 45mins for a 12 mile cycling trek, and 9-10 minutes per mile running. I do not like to run, so it has been the most challenging part of my training and have only been doing cycling and swim training for a very short while. Will let you know how I did tomorrow!

Welcome to the group.
Puerto Rico............I have been there.........weather wise it is the total opposite of Iceland. I still remember being anything but cold when I was there, then again that was also why I was there

It looks like you have been doing the basic training so you should do ok tomorrow, just remember to pace yourself.
Take the time to think through the race and the transitions. Know what to do and where to go before you start
Then come back here and tell us all about it

Good luck
2011-04-30 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3474828

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
rtakahashi - 2011-04-30 5:55 PM

Hi Everyone!

I had very low expectation for this morning's 5K, but did end up achieving a PB on a 5K at 28:35. The last time I did a 5K was in 2009 and ran it in 30:45 or so. It was humid and I was a little sleepy, but did my normal routine of starting out slow below race pace, then kicked into a higher gear after the first mile. Celebrated my PB with free beer and ice cream! Hope Joel.Blair and Calluna also have their own celebratory stories to share as well! Thanks everyone for the motivation!

-- Rebecca 

Superstar !!!
What an awesome job, 2 minute PB That is huge !

Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed the beer

2011-04-30 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Okay, all done! I put most of my commentary in my logs, so feel free to go peek and offer constructive criticism. I need all the hints I can get! Laughing

Upshot: It was better than I expected in less than ideal (39F and light rain) conditions. I didn't feel physically stressed at all and certainly learned a lot, and think I'll be ready for next weekend's "real" tri. There were more people than I expected there today, too, at all skill levels. Everyone was cheerful and encouraging - every time you passed someone, they'd yell something positive at you.

The only difference I can see between the "real" tri and the "practice" tri is medals, though, as the miles still seem to be the same!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14