BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-01 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3476421

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!

Jewel22 - 2011-05-01 5:19 PM ......... I want to purchase a computer but nothing too complicated or expensive at this point and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.  I did look at the "gear reviews" but I guess I'm hoping to get the opinions of this group. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about a bike computer? There are certainly cheap options out there, but in order for us to give you a better recommendation, what are you looking to measure w/ the computer?  Speed, cadence, heart rate, power, etc.

2011-05-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3476750

Ontario, Canada
shmeeg - 2011-05-01 11:24 PM

Jewel22 - 2011-05-01 5:19 PM ......... I want to purchase a computer but nothing too complicated or expensive at this point and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.  I did look at the "gear reviews" but I guess I'm hoping to get the opinions of this group. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about a bike computer? There are certainly cheap options out there, but in order for us to give you a better recommendation, what are you looking to measure w/ the computer?  Speed, cadence, heart rate, power, etc.

Sorry, I did mean a bike computer.  I'd like to buy something that'll give me distance, of course, speed and cadence.  And honestly I don't really know what I do need or what would be overkill.

I'm just getting into this so I want something simple.  Does that make sense?

Edited by Jewel22 2011-05-02 7:19 AM
2011-05-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3476421

User image

Champion
Jewel22 - 2011-05-01 6:19 PM

I think I mentioned that I went out and bought a bike. I didn't buy a road bike but bought a Trek 7.3FX because I wanted something that I could ride while I tried out a tri (sprint) and if I didn't want to do another, I'd have a bike that I could tool around in. And if I do want to continue with tris then I will purchase a road bike. I guess I'm kinda hedging my bets. Laughing

Anyway, my question is ......... I want to purchase a computer but nothing too complicated or expensive at this point and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I did look at the "gear reviews" but I guess I'm hoping to get the opinions of this group.

Thanks!

If you have a bike shop around, head in and ask. There are a TON of low cost computers that just show speed/time that can range from 25-50 dollars.

If you dont have something local, check out performance bike's website. They often have computers on sale. they will work on any type of bike.

Depending on the mount style cadence may cost yo ua bit more in a computer as it needs a sensor near the cranks and not just on the wheel.

In all honesty time/speed/distance should be plenty. But again like i said my first choice would be to either go into a bike shop, or get online, pick out some that do what you want and then see waht falls in the price range. Any of the bigger names would be great. polar, timex, cateye, shwinn, trek, etc.

Edited by newbz 2011-05-02 8:29 AM
2011-05-02 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3476960

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Jewel22 - 2011-05-02 7:18 AM
shmeeg - 2011-05-01 11:24 PM

Sorry, I did mean a bike computer.  I'd like to buy something that'll give me distance, of course, speed and cadence.  And honestly I don't really know what I do need or what would be overkill.

I'm just getting into this so I want something simple.  Does that make sense?

Nashbar.com would have some cheap ones if you have somebody that can put it on for you.  If not, the local bike shop probably has "low end" options.  It's what I ride with.  I just told them I wanted cadence when I bought my bike.  I think it was around $50 or so and gives me time, speed, distance, and cadence.
2011-05-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3475404

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Newbz.

thanks for the reply about coaching. I really appreciate it. I think I have found someone that I like, and that even if he weren't my "coach", I think I would like to hang out with the guy. I have talked to a couple of his athletes, one who has been with him for three years, and they love the guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this last weekend; I went on my first group cycle on Sunday. Yes, three plus years into triathlon and I had only ever ridden alone. It was super fun to ride with a group of people! There were some really fast riders and it was fun to draft and really cover some ground. We had an extended run of 27-28 mph (3 miles). I could never (currently) pull that off by myself so it was neat to watch really powerful cycists at work. Gives me something to aspire to. Whenever I got out of the draft, it was amazing how much harder it was to keep up.

Probably not a tri-specific workout because of the drafting but it was time in the saddle and it was fun. I will be doing this again whenever the opportunity arises. I guess I would recommend trying this to anyone who hasn't done so already. I am sorry I waited this long to go on a group ride.

Looking forward to racing in two weeks so I can get some idea where I am at and where I need to be going.

Jason
2011-05-02 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3473691

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? OPEN!
Hippy375 - 2011-04-29 2:14 PM

Greetings,

I'd like to join this group as well if you have room!

NAME: Scott H from Michigan

STORY: Happy to be here!  I own a homeland security company so I travel a lot (which sometimes gets in the way) but I manage to make it work. I also serve in the Michigan Army National Guard, currently holding the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. I'm training for my first Tri at the end of May. Just bought my first nice bike (Specialized Crux), wanted something a bit more versatile because I live on a dirt road. I'm married to a wonderful woman and am blessed with two great kids! Just finished my Master's Program at Penn State (SO GLAD TO BE DONE WITH THIS!!!!).

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Running, biking, and swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 5K only, upcoming race 28 May (sprint tri)

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 30 lbs since 1 December just with cutting out large lunches and more exercise!

Hey, Milford isn't too far from Ann Arbor. Welcome to the group from someone local to you. Glad to see another MI person in here. Later this summer I am going to be looking for anyone and everyone to ride with me so you may be getting some messages from me........

Jason

2011-05-02 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3477172

User image

Champion
wannabefaster - 2011-05-02 7:58 AM

Newbz.

thanks for the reply about coaching. I really appreciate it. I think I have found someone that I like, and that even if he weren't my "coach", I think I would like to hang out with the guy. I have talked to a couple of his athletes, one who has been with him for three years, and they love the guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this last weekend; I went on my first group cycle on Sunday. Yes, three plus years into triathlon and I had only ever ridden alone. It was super fun to ride with a group of people! There were some really fast riders and it was fun to draft and really cover some ground. We had an extended run of 27-28 mph (3 miles). I could never (currently) pull that off by myself so it was neat to watch really powerful cycists at work. Gives me something to aspire to. Whenever I got out of the draft, it was amazing how much harder it was to keep up.

Probably not a tri-specific workout because of the drafting but it was time in the saddle and it was fun. I will be doing this again whenever the opportunity arises. I guess I would recommend trying this to anyone who hasn't done so already. I am sorry I waited this long to go on a group ride.

Looking forward to racing in two weeks so I can get some idea where I am at and where I need to be going.

Jason

Dont ever underestimate the benifit of riding with people faster than you. even if you are drafting, it keeps you working harder for much longer periods of time than you ever would alone. And the best cyclists in triathlon tend to train/ride with/like cyclists anyway;-)
2011-05-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3436046

Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies re the computer.   I appreciate it.
2011-05-02 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3477172

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

wannabefaster - 2011-05-02 6:58 AM ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ As for this last weekend; I went on my first group cycle on Sunday....

I love riding w/ my roadie friends.  Moreso than I like riding w/ other triathletes ???Laughing.  I think of the training more as 'work' when I'm on my TT bike.  It just feels more like 'fun' w/ the roadies, even when it's a tough effort.

2011-05-02 3:46 PM

Ontario, Canada

I swam for about 35 minutes at the local community centre.  Of those 35 minutes I'd say about 25 was actually spent swimming.   I cannot believe how tough cardio wise I'm finding swimming.  I thought since I can skate marathon distances and run 5 kms that my cardio was great.  Apparently I'm wrong.  I'm gonna have to increase my swim time to twice weekly I think.

2011-05-02 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3478291

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Jewel22 - 2011-05-02 3:46 PM

I swam for about 35 minutes at the local community centre.  Of those 35 minutes I'd say about 25 was actually spent swimming.   I cannot believe how tough cardio wise I'm finding swimming.  I thought since I can skate marathon distances and run 5 kms that my cardio was great.  Apparently I'm wrong.  I'm gonna have to increase my swim time to twice weekly I think.

Good news!  It's not your cardio fitness that's holding you back in the pool.

Bad news   It's your form.

Good news!  It can be fixed and there will be an aha! break through moment.

Completely blind guess is you bend your knees when you kick, your butt sinks, you kick harder,  and you burn your precious O2 really quickly.  Lessons are the best bet.  Filming yourself and letting us see it would help as well.

By the way... 3x a week

2011-05-02 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Ok.... running cadence questions... sort of...

A lady that's helping me coach a beginner tri program (I pretty much only do the swim) was talking about running cadence and that most everyone's turn over is way to low.  I pretty much plod along wishing I was swimming or biking.

So really, I'm just wondering... runners, explain running cadence to me and how exactly I can work on it.
2011-05-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3478320

User image

Champion
Most people over stride. And that is often seen in a low cadence. look at faster runners, its a fast tap tap tap. upping cadence is a much easier/safer way to up running speed. You shorten your stride a bit but up cadence, and it makes it easier to get your feet under you. there is less "putting on the brakes" with each stride than having your feet out in front of you.
2011-05-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3478316

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
sesh - 2011-05-02 2:06 PM

Completely blind guess is you bend your knees when you kick, your butt sinks, you kick harder,  and you burn your precious O2 really quickly.  Lessons are the best bet.  Filming yourself and letting us see it would help as well.

By the way... 3x a week

I have also found that I often try to swim too fast, have crap form and end up getting winded.  A slower relaxed pace will ultimately net me a quicker finish time for the set.

2011-05-02 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3478546

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

newbz - 2011-05-02 5:05 PM Most people over stride. And that is often seen in a low cadence. look at faster runners, its a fast tap tap tap. upping cadence is a much easier/safer way to up running speed. You shorten your stride a bit but up cadence, and it makes it easier to get your feet under you. there is less "putting on the brakes" with each stride than having your feet out in front of you.

This is also one way to help with running off the bike.  Many people find it easier to run off the bike if they have a higher running cadence that is close to their cycling cadence.  Anecdotally, anyway, I don't know if there's any science to back that up.

2011-05-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3478579

User image

Gaithersburg
My swim instructor says that slowing down is the hardest thing to do for swimmers, but ultimately allows you to have the most efficient stroke.

2011-05-02 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3478316

Ontario, Canada
sesh - 2011-05-02 5:06 PM

By the way... 3x a week

I kinda figured it did have something to do with my form but didn't think it would affect my cardio that much.  Funny you mention the kicking, because the guard at the pool (and the person I recently took lessons from) told me that for some reason I started bending my knees when I kicked.  She didn't notice when I picked up this bad habit because when I took lessons I was a stellar kicker.  I've got more lessons that I've paid for and put on hold in order to practice technique, but maybe I should go back and take a lesson or two.  I'm actually doing okay considering that I just learned how to do the front crawl in the past 3 months.  I could always "swim" but not correctly and until I was in Maui last November I hadn't swum in probably 20 years.   Thanks for the advice ... I really appreciate it.

As for the filming ... I'll see if I can't get my husband to show up sometime to film me.  And 3x a week may be hard to fit in.  I'm still racing inline this season & I've got to ensure that I keep my training up for that.  Inline is one of the reasons why I'm not going to race tri's this season.

Edited by Jewel22 2011-05-02 9:49 PM
2011-05-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3478696

Ontario, Canada

nickgn71 - 2011-05-02 9:25 PM My swim instructor says that slowing down is the hardest thing to do for swimmers, but ultimately allows you to have the most efficient stroke.

One thing I am good at doing is slowing down intentionally ... I have to do it all the time with the inline in order to practice technique and for whatever reason I'm able to do so swimming.  Now I don't know if it's slow enough to really practice swimming form but it is slower.

2011-05-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3478579

Ontario, Canada
shmeeg - 2011-05-02 8:25 PM
sesh - 2011-05-02 2:06 PM

By the way... 3x a week

I have also found that I often try to swim too fast, have crap form and end up getting winded.  A slower relaxed pace will ultimately net me a quicker finish time for the set.

It's similar with the skating ... sometimes you need to go slower in order to go faster.  It took me a while to understand that when I was learning inline technique but I do get it for swimming.  My form really isn't the best.  But my swimming is definitely a work in progress & I'm having a blast.

2011-05-02 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3478584

User image

Champion
shmeeg - 2011-05-02 6:27 PM

newbz - 2011-05-02 5:05 PM Most people over stride. And that is often seen in a low cadence. look at faster runners, its a fast tap tap tap. upping cadence is a much easier/safer way to up running speed. You shorten your stride a bit but up cadence, and it makes it easier to get your feet under you. there is less "putting on the brakes" with each stride than having your feet out in front of you.

This is also one way to help with running off the bike. Many people find it easier to run off the bike if they have a higher running cadence that is close to their cycling cadence. Anecdotally, anyway, I don't know if there's any science to back that up.

It's funny, my run cadence is always fairly similar (per any given pace), but my bike is 100% course/how i feel dependent.

I've had great races with lower cadences (low 80s), and races that went well in the 105 ish range.
2011-05-02 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3478854

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
newbz - 2011-05-02 9:50 PM
shmeeg - 2011-05-02 6:27 PM

This is also one way to help with running off the bike. Many people find it easier to run off the bike if they have a higher running cadence that is close to their cycling cadence. Anecdotally, anyway, I don't know if there's any science to back that up.

It's funny, my run cadence is always fairly similar (per any given pace), but my bike is 100% course/how i feel dependent. I've had great races with lower cadences (low 80s), and races that went well in the 105 ish range.

Shoot... I've had cadences that felt right vary on single rides.

2011-05-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3478320

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
sesh - 2011-05-02 5:10 PM

Ok.... running cadence questions... sort of...

A lady that's helping me coach a beginner tri program (I pretty much only do the swim) was talking about running cadence and that most everyone's turn over is way to low.  I pretty much plod along wishing I was swimming or biking.

So really, I'm just wondering... runners, explain running cadence to me and how exactly I can work on it.

The nuts and bolts of cadence, which I don't think anyone else has answered:

Count the number of times your right (or left-you choose) foot hits the ground in one minute of running--I find this easier to do on a treadmill with the time display right in front of you- and this will give you the number of leg turnovers per minute. Most people seem to think that good, efficient runners have cadences in the high 80s to mid 90s, or approximately 180 steps/minute (if you are counting both feet).

I have read in several places that you will rarely, or never?, see world-class runners much outside of this range.

When I do this, I am consistently running at a cadence of 95-100, no matter what my pace is, from 7 mph all the way up to 10 mph. It is just how I run and fairly unusual as it seems as most people tend to have slower, not faster, cadences.

The thing about higher cadence running for me is that I feel like my feet are not hitting the ground as hard. They are really just skimming (or tapping) the ground as my body moves over them. Higher cadence definitely requires a shorter stride. It seems to reduce the stress on the knee and ankle joints considerably.

Hope that helps. Others can jump in and correct me if I am totally off base with this.

Jason
2011-05-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3478546

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
newbz - 2011-05-02 7:05 PM Most people over stride. And that is often seen in a low cadence. look at faster runners, its a fast tap tap tap. upping cadence is a much easier/safer way to up running speed. You shorten your stride a bit but up cadence, and it makes it easier to get your feet under you. there is less "putting on the brakes" with each stride than having your feet out in front of you.

Makes sense.  I do find myself almost fighting against myself late in longer runs.

She suggested high cadence "spurts."  Almost like intervals of high turnover.
2011-05-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3478873

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
wannabefaster - 2011-05-02 10:00 PM
sesh - 2011-05-02 5:10 PM Ok.... running cadence questions... sort of...

The nuts and bolts of cadence, which I don't think anyone else has answered: Count the number of times your right (or left-you choose) foot hits the ground in one minute of running--I find this easier to do on a treadmill with the time display right in front of you- and this will give you the number of leg turnovers per minute. Most people seem to think that good, efficient runners have cadences in the high 80s to mid 90s, or approximately 180 steps/minute (if you are counting both feet). I have read in several places that you will rarely, or never?, see world-class runners much outside of this range. When I do this, I am consistently running at a cadence of 95-100, no matter what my pace is, from 7 mph all the way up to 10 mph. It is just how I run and fairly unusual as it seems as most people tend to have slower, not faster, cadences. The thing about higher cadence running for me is that I feel like my feet are not hitting the ground as hard. They are really just skimming (or tapping) the ground as my body moves over them. Higher cadence definitely requires a shorter stride. It seems to reduce the stress on the knee and ankle joints considerably. Hope that helps. Others can jump in and correct me if I am totally off base with this. Jason

Good stuff! 

Basically, I need the same cadence and my stride length is different for certain paces?  Not same stride length with different cadences for different paces?

Am I on the right track?

2011-05-02 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3478713

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Jewel22 - 2011-05-02 8:30 PM

nickgn71 - 2011-05-02 9:25 PM My swim instructor says that slowing down is the hardest thing to do for swimmers, but ultimately allows you to have the most efficient stroke.

One thing I am good at doing is slowing down intentionally ... I have to do it all the time with the inline in order to practice technique and for whatever reason I'm able to do so swimming.  Now I don't know if it's slow enough to really practice swimming form but it is slower.

Going "slow" allows you to work on form.  My "slow" at the moment is 13-14 strokes per length at about a 1:30/100 yd pace.  This stroke count and pace is a comfort zone that I can swim all day at, and work on various things within my technique.  To swim harder sets I simply increase my stroke count (see my set of 4x100 negative splits from today for example).  The idea is that over time, the stroke count per length goes down at that same 1:30 pace... or another way to look at it... the pace at my 13-14 stroke count gets faster. 

Once general form and comfort in the water is established, everybody has their "slow."  Which really is a bad word to simply describe the stroke count and pace that allows you to work on your technique.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14