2011-05-01 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3476457

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
serrato82 - 2011-05-01 7:37 PM

Hi Ernesto,

I started swimming last year and have run on and off for about 6 years, but have no experience in cycling at all. What type of bicycle would u recommend I should buy to start training?

I live in Vanvouver, B.C. and I am originally from Mexico.

Gracias.

Well, that all depends on your budget and how much you want to invest in the sport. The range is huge, I know guys that have finished sprints in $150 bikes from Walmart and I know quite a few with rigs that easily surpass $10K. What kind of distance are you shooting for?

2011-05-01 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3476479

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
older2533 - 2011-05-01 7:47 PM

Ernesto,

I'm batting .500 so far regarding your advice.

1) You recommended swimming farther, specifically 2500 yards.  Today I did 2500 yards for the first time ever (in the pool).  51:15, or 2:03 per 100 yards.   (This was the hit).

2) I've actually gone backwards on the bike miles because it's just been horrible weather.  Didn't have time, or mother nature cooperating, to bike during the week after Monday. Today was the day I scheduled for the long bike ride, and it was 39 degrees, 25 mph winds, and even a few snow flurries (although they were slight enough, I could have been imagining them).   So I said "screw it" and biked on a stationary bike at the gym for 40 minutes before swimming.  I did do an exercise my bike fitter recommended to get a more circular biking stroke (I tend to push down as if I didn't have clips):  use only one foot.  Did this for ten minutes on each foot.  Not sure it worked.  I still don't use the up motion very much. 

Chris,I feel your pain with the weather. I just started getting my cycling mileage up as I also live north (Chicago suburbs) and experienced those exact conditions a few weeks ago on a ride. I made it 10 miles before calling it quits.I'm sure Ernesto will have more to say. I've also been doing the isolated leg training. I didn't find them to work instantly but they help me to get used to a more circular motion. I am finding that the more time I spend cycling outdoors the more of the "up" motion I'm starting to use.
2011-05-01 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3476479

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-01 7:47 PM

Ernesto,

I'm batting .500 so far regarding your advice.

1) You recommended swimming farther, specifically 2500 yards.  Today I did 2500 yards for the first time ever (in the pool).  51:15, or 2:03 per 100 yards.   (This was the hit).

2) I've actually gone backwards on the bike miles because it's just been horrible weather.  Didn't have time, or mother nature cooperating, to bike during the week after Monday. Today was the day I scheduled for the long bike ride, and it was 39 degrees, 25 mph winds, and even a few snow flurries (although they were slight enough, I could have been imagining them).   So I said "screw it" and biked on a stationary bike at the gym for 40 minutes before swimming.  I did do an exercise my bike fitter recommended to get a more circular biking stroke (I tend to push down as if I didn't have clips):  use only one foot.  Did this for ten minutes on each foot.  Not sure it worked.  I still don't use the up motion very much. 

That's great news Chris! don't worry about not making it on the bike, actually indoor training is what keeps the people in States like yours going through seven months of the year. Do you have one? I have a CycleOps fluid trainer that I attach on the rear wheel when the weather is horrible (about two weeks a year here in Texas) and pedal while watching TV.

Start your research for tri-clubs or groups of roadies, they always revolve around big cycling stores during the weekends, and have routes. Another advantage I forgot to mention (vs. training by yourself) is the added safety of a group. It is way more visible for a driver a pack of 30 or 40 cyclists/triathletes than just one, mostly with all these people texting lately...

You're on the right track, patience and determination Chris. That's it, plain and simple.

2011-05-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ernesto, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the recommendation re: the maffetone book.  I have in now, and am working my way through it. 

Also, you mentioned the Toyota US Open on Oct. 2.  That is really good timing with when I wanted to target a my first OLY distance.  It just sounds kind of "professional", which makes me hesitate to register.  Are there all kinds of folks participating in that?  Or would I be better off to choose another race for a first OLY? I think there is one at Stonebridge Ranch on 9/25 that would also work timing wise.

2011-05-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3476555

User image

Master
Dallas
squirt - 2011-05-01 8:22 PM

Hey Ernesto, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the recommendation re: the maffetone book.  I have in now, and am working my way through it. 

Also, you mentioned the Toyota US Open on Oct. 2.  That is really good timing with when I wanted to target a my first OLY distance.  It just sounds kind of "professional", which makes me hesitate to register.  Are there all kinds of folks participating in that?  Or would I be better off to choose another race for a first OLY? I think there is one at Stonebridge Ranch on 9/25 that would also work timing wise.

No worries Carol, the Open is just another race. No fears, sign up! All kinds of ability in that race. The cool part is that you'll get to race the same day and venue than the biggest in our sport.
2011-05-01 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3476635

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
evillarroel - 2011-05-01 9:01 PM

No worries Carol, the Open is just another race. No fears, sign up! All kinds of ability in that race. The cool part is that you'll get to race the same day and venue than the biggest in our sport.

Yes, PLEASE sign up so there will be two of us "non-pros" there Laughing  I just signed up for the OLY last night!

2011-05-01 10:52 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Jackie,Did the discount work?
2011-05-01 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3476770

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

evillarroel - 2011-05-01 10:52 PM Jackie,Did the discount work?

Yes, thank you!

2011-05-01 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3470831

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-04-28 7:41 AM

Gabriel,

Since you’re able to workout on Sunday I would suggest you do a long bike on Saturdays followed by a short brick, a shorter ride on Sunday followed by a swim and long runs on Thursdays. This is probably a dramatic change in your routine but the only way I see you squeezing in more bike workouts. The other weekdays reserve them for short workouts at high intensity.

This way you will get both, aerobic endurance from the long stuff and the progress in speed you need to become fast(er). Think of it in terms of a car engine, the long stuff (at easy efforts) makes your motor bigger and the speedwork let’s you rev it up to high RPMs.

I would take Friday off to rest from the long run, do a run (short but fast) on Monday, another run and a swim on Tuesday, and a run and a fast (interval session) bike on Wednesday. Of course, these are tentative since I don’t know your time constrictions.

On the Garmin files, simply copy the link on your taskbar to your workout comments so I can see the details of the HR and such.

Hola Ernesto,

Thanks for your recommendations on adjusting my schedule, I will look into it to figure out the best way to include more, longer bike rides (as well as improving on the other areas like speedwork for my run).  Also as instructed, I added the links from my Garmin workouts for the month of April into my log.  Finally, I already ordered the book you recommended and look forward to reading it soon.

In terms of goals for May, I will be doing my first Oly distance tri next weekend and then a 1/2 Mary on May 15th, which is pretty popular in Guatemala.

Thanks!

@markz, congratulations on finishing your first Ironman, that's huge!!! 

2011-05-02 3:20 AM

User image

Marlborough, Wiltshire United Kingdom
Hi ErnestoI would like to join your group I am 45 and live in the the south west of England ( Marlborough) and am in my second year of Olympic length triathlon. I train between 6-9 hours, but have been suffering with achilles tendon issues.- running weakestLondon results last year Swim 26.40 / 1500mBike 64 min/ 40kRun 59/. 11kLooking to improve running, but just get a bit wiser on putting all together to do a more balanced race.I travel a lot with work and struggle to stick to any planRegardsPete
2011-05-02 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
@Gabriel, I tried looking at your workouts but they're blocked. You need to change the settings in your Garmin connect account to public.

2011-05-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3476860

User image

Master
Dallas

pbooth2912 - 2011-05-02 3:20 AM Hi ErnestoI would like to join your group I am 45 and live in the the south west of England ( Marlborough) and am in my second year of Olympic length triathlon. I train between 6-9 hours, but have been suffering with achilles tendon issues.- running weakestLondon results last year Swim 26.40 / 1500mBike 64 min/ 40kRun 59/. 11kLooking to improve running, but just get a bit wiser on putting all together to do a more balanced race.I travel a lot with work and struggle to stick to any planRegardsPete

Pete,

That's impressive on the bike for an Oly distance! are your achilles issues chronic or acute? Actually if you travel a lot, running is the easiest thing to do, plus you have the time after work. I don't see any speed issues with the run, I wish I could look at metrics though, but overall you seem pretty consistent. I agree that a 59' 10K at your level is slow, but anybody can have a bad day, it also depends on many factors such as how hard you went on the bike, terrain, nutrition, heat, hydration, etc.

Btw, you're in as well. We're about to close the door on the bus soon!

2011-05-02 7:53 AM

User image

New user

Pittsburgh

Hi Ernesto, if you have the space, could I please join? Thanks!

2011-05-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3476728

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
jdiis - 2011-05-01 10:10 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-01 9:01 PM

Yes, PLEASE sign up so there will be two of us "non-pros" there Laughing  I just signed up for the OLY last night!

Thanks Ernesto, does sound like a great thing to experience!  Guy at church also brought this one up yesterday...he did it last year in his first season of doing tri's and said it was good.  OK, Jackie, I'm in!  Have a friend I'll invite who is also not a pro and in the same AG as me, so maybe there will be at least three of us middle aged, non-pros there .  I also used the discount code this morning and it worked.  Thank you!

2011-05-02 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I Swam yesterday for 1400 yards.  My time was 48min....  I was a bit upset with it and it was 6 minutes slower than the last time I did the same distance.  I did the workout as follows:

200 Warmup

4-25y with a pull buoy 

4-200y freestyle w/ 30 sec rest (at least I tried)

4-25y kick board

200y cooldown....  Freestyle and breathstroke mixed...  Try to practice bilateral breathing here too.  I video taped my last swim and I try to critique it and figure out what I'm doing wrong since I'm self taught..  I also taped the first time I was in the pool 2 months ago..  I see a difference but still struggling.  

Is there a way you can see it and possibly critique it as well?

Also...I am heading to get the book you recommended.  I cook from scratch already and use little to no processed foods.  More than weight I think my struggle is fat percentage.  I know weight really won't tell me much.  I just don't know how to drop the percentage which is a 22%.  

I have been logging all my workout on Voomaxer via facebook, just started using garmin connect for runs and bike rides.  The Voomaxer has everything for the past year, can you look at those?

Last thing is about strength training...  I haven't done any!!  

Thank you....

Jen

2011-05-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3477289

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-02 9:26 AM

I Swam yesterday for 1400 yards.  My time was 48min....  I was a bit upset with it and it was 6 minutes slower than the last time I did the same distance.  I did the workout as follows:

200 Warmup

4-25y with a pull buoy 

4-200y freestyle w/ 30 sec rest (at least I tried)

4-25y kick board

200y cooldown....  Freestyle and breathstroke mixed...  Try to practice bilateral breathing here too.  I video taped my last swim and I try to critique it and figure out what I'm doing wrong since I'm self taught..  I also taped the first time I was in the pool 2 months ago..  I see a difference but still struggling.  

Is there a way you can see it and possibly critique it as well?

Also...I am heading to get the book you recommended.  I cook from scratch already and use little to no processed foods.  More than weight I think my struggle is fat percentage.  I know weight really won't tell me much.  I just don't know how to drop the percentage which is a 22%.  

I have been logging all my workout on Voomaxer via facebook, just started using garmin connect for runs and bike rides.  The Voomaxer has everything for the past year, can you look at those?

Last thing is about strength training...  I haven't done any!!  

Thank you....

Jen

Jen,

Swimming well requires training and habituation. The best way to get good in the pool is… spending time in the water. Even the supergifted swimmers keep a regime that includes 10K a week in the pool at least. Triathletes are really good at neglecting the pool for the simple reason that it represents only 10 or 12% of the race time, the missed point though is that swimming fitness carries over to the other two sports like no other, adding aLOTof aerobic capacity.

I wouldn’t worry about bilateral breathing, it is good to have it if you’re a swimmer, for triathletes it doesn’t mean much because you should be taking air in every two strokes to stay aerobic. It is not the most efficient way to breath (it slows you down a bit) but it makes you come out of the water as fresh as you entered.

I’ve had Jackie sent me video links on youtube that she uploaded so I could look at her stroke.

Join a swimming Masters program, the team workout is the best way to get better for MANY reasons.

Send me links to your Garmin workouts, nothing beats it for metrics.

E

2011-05-02 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3477013

User image

Master
Dallas
ldaley - 2011-05-02 7:53 AM

Hi Ernesto, if you have the space, could I please join? Thanks!

You're in, second to last!

2011-05-02 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Got space for 1 more newbie, Ernesto?
2011-05-02 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3476928

User image

Expert
Guatemala

evillarroel - 2011-05-02 5:50 AM @Gabriel, I tried looking at your workouts but they're blocked. You need to change the settings in your Garmin connect account to public.

@Ernesto

Sorry, they are now unlocked, thanks!

2011-05-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3477912

User image

Master
Dallas

ironbaby - 2011-05-02 12:59 PM Got space for 1 more newbie, Ernesto?

You're in and you're the last one. The group is closed now.

2011-05-02 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Ernesto's Group - Closed
Oficially closed to new folks, sorry but we're a bunch now!

2011-05-02 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3474541

User image

Houston, Texas

So my biggest question is where do I go from here?  I went from a couch potato to doing 3 races last year, but I'd like to get better.

Swim - I bought the TI book earlier this year and haven't finished it yet.  My time in the pool has gotten worse, I guess because I'm trying to change my stroke without really knowing what to change it to yet.  I think I'll be OK here once I finish reading.

Bike - I only bike once a week.  I do the a stationary bike at the gym when I'm strength training, but does that really do anything for you?  Should I add the bike on T/Th?  I don't want to ditch the strength training altogether but I don't know if I could do both in one morning.  But if I don't I'm not sure if I'll get any better at the bike.  And I'm not even sure what to do to improve my bike times.

Run - I run after the swim, and I'm trying to improve my pace.  I tried some intervals, but again I don't really know what I'm doing.  I ended up with some knee pain and it may have been because I was pushing too hard.

General - I have a Garmin 305 but I can't get the HRM to work.  I've re-synced, replaced the battery, wet it, etc, and nothing.  Not that I know what to do with the info, but I figure paying attention would be the first step.  I've looked at the training plans online at BT, but I can't decide if any of them would be right for me.  The swim plans seem like they're written in Greek.  This is my 3rd mentor group and I'm still looking for some help on which way to go with training.  There's just so much information and things I don't know about I don't really know where to start.

Any guidance you may provide would be appreciated.

-Mike

2011-05-02 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3478062

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-02 2:08 PM

evillarroel - 2011-05-02 5:50 AM @Gabriel, I tried looking at your workouts but they're blocked. You need to change the settings in your Garmin connect account to public.

@Ernesto

Sorry, they are now unlocked, thanks!

Gabriel, 

Things that I saw from your two long runs (yesterday and Friday the 22nd):

-         You are decoupling quite a bit, that means your heart rate goes up as your pace steadily declines. This is a phenomena that’s actually pretty normal, but you can minimize it by starting easier. Your long runs should start at about 10:15 min/miles and stay like that for at least 3 or 4 miles, after that gradually start picking up the pace. Instead, you’re running 8 min/miles (with cold muscles) and then slowing down 25% of the pace in less than two hours.

-         You are anaerobic most of the time, obviously that wears you out quickly because you’re relying on carbs as your source of fuel. I bet you crave a big bowl of pasta as soon as you’re done, right? Well, the primary source of fuel should be FATS, and a small(er) proportion of carbohydrates. To do this you need to slow down. If you are pacient, you’ll see your easy effort turning into speed. This is very counter intuitive, everybody grew up being told that if you want to be fast you have to train hard, right? NO, wrong.

Let me show you examples:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16371755

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/65949044

The first one is an 18 mile run before I started training my aerobic system (back in late 2009), the second one is a 15 mile run (much faster) after I worked on it. Make your own opinion.

2011-05-02 6:02 PM

Hello Ernesto,

I would like to be added to your mentoring group please.

Thank you

Pauline

2011-05-02 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3478139

User image

Regular

evillarroel - 2011-05-02 3:37 PM

ironbaby - 2011-05-02 12:59 PM Got space for 1 more newbie, Ernesto?

You're in and you're the last one. The group is closed now.

Great! Now time to introduce myself to the mentor group.

NAME: ironbaby (and some day I will grow up to be an Ironman Cool)

STORY: I am 30, male, clyde and physically unfit for my age. This is my first year of tri training and my past activity background is breaking-in the couch. I have led a sedentary lifestyle from late teen years and put few pounds too many.I was around 235+ in aug 2010 and under 210 currently. Trying to drop few more lbs through the summer.Oh, height is around 5'11" but still look too 'big' due to high % of body fat. 

CURRENT TRAINING:

2-3 runs per week (1 long; 1 medium-ish). More focus on the mileage and keeping consistent HR/pace than burning myself quickly.My stamina is not very high and I go into anaerobic zone very quickly. Two months ago, I couldn't run couple of hundred yards before getting my HR 180+ (pace was over 11min/mi). It still gets high but I can squeeze out 3-3.5miles before I start pushing my HR on 11min/mi pace. I use run/walk method on long runs so overall time is more around 12:30min/mi.

Swimming - Slow and low stamina. Probably need actual coaching here on form as well. 

Bike - Weekend rider+indoor gym spinning. Starting this week, I plan to bike outdoors 2x/week (1 long dist-flat/ 1 med dist-hilly). If I can get a spinning session covered with these two... that would be a bonus. I like those because I keep my HR high and try to increase my anaerobic capacity.

OTHER BACKGROUND: No family. Less than few friends in new town and keep 60hr+ week. The thought of being able to compete in tri's keeps me strong, physically and mentally. Just with last few months of sporadic training, I have never been fitter and this is far from final result. Oh! I am a complete newbie so please be patient my stupid questions.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR FROM MY MENTOR AND GROUP: Due to my inexperience in the three sports, I am not able to judge my progression being adequate or not. So far I havent been following any strict regimented plan but have small personal goals in each of the tri-sport segments. I would like feedback on my workouts and share other people's experiences to maximize my knowledge.

GOAL: Finish my first Oly tri.

Looking forward to the next few weeks.

-ironbaby

Edited by ironbaby 2011-05-02 6:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84