Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-05-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3487467

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - OPEN

Jena,

How did you make out of the 5k? On your heart rate, what was your max hr during the run?

I'd be surprised if your zones changed drastically over that time. But you can verify those buy doing one of the two test or both

Do you have the triathletes bible book? If so, you could probably find some of these test in there

On a treadmill, warm up for 5 mins at an easy pace. After that, increase your speed by .o2 mph, until you can't run anymore. (On this event, get a partner to help you out. Have them right down your HR at each increase, and plot this over time. ) Don't eat 2 hours before this test and remember to go all out. This isn't supposed to be fun. 

The next test, either do on a bike trainer, or find a 10 mile loop. Remember this loop as you can come back here and retest yourself monthly and see if your fitness has increased.  Again, don't eat 2 hours before and go all out. This again supposed to be fun.  We are trying to replicate the variables so you can also write down the temp and conditions if you'd like

Look forward in hearing how you do.

Scott

2011-05-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3487472

User image

Expert

Hey Scott, You sound like you've made great progress swimming that's great. What masters are you doing? Did you volunteer at season's opener today? Thank you about the complements and glad you joined as well to the group. You'll add a ton of knowledge as well. Are you doing the training weekend in two weeks? Well, about your questions, I train with power and I try to keep my power constant throughout. I never leave my saddle, so I suggest you don't either. Hammering up a hill will increase your HR, just keep pedaling and stay constant and you'll get to your goal just as quick.  I'm glad to see you're doing Pumpkinman, I myself are doing that race. That should be fun... Reminds me, I need to sign up.  Yes, riding in Aero is definitely a beast. My mentor on BSTT, is actually Patrik, and he's taught me a ton. I remember that discussion on the forum.  Well, if you have any specific questions, please continue to feel free ask. Welcome again.

Scott

2011-05-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3487518

User image

Expert

Awesome job Joy... That's what I like to hear. Getting faster on the bike is just as simple as biking more. You need to build up that engine. Right now, it's a 4 cylinder, keep biking and sooner or later it will become a 6  or 8 cylinder. Trying doing hill repeats. Also, what's the longest ride you've been on.   Does your bike have a cadence on it?, If so, try keeping your bike cadence above 95+ build that endurance up...

Also, find a local time trial and compete in them. 

Scott

2011-05-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3487595

User image

Expert

Looks great. Negative Splits. What was your split for mile 3?

One day a week, try doing some 880's. Run a 1/2 mile (2 Laps) on a HS Track, or on a treadmill. After the laps, stop and rest for a 1 min and half, and then run another. Do 6 of these.  For your 5k's though. What is the longest run you've done to date?

Scott

2011-05-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3487629

User image

Expert

1) Find your resting heart rate as soon as you wake up. You can do this by counting your pulse for one minute while still in bed. You may average your heart rate over three mornings to obtain your average resting heart rate (RHR). Add the three readings together, and divide that number by three to get the RHR. For example,

(62 + 65 + 63) / 3= 63.

2)Find your maximum heart rate and heart rate reserve.

• Subtract your age from 220. This is your maximum heart rate (HRmax). For example, the HRmax for a 40-year-old would be

220 - 40 = 180.
  • Subtract your RHR from your HRmax. This is your heart rate reserve (HRmaxRESERVE). For example,

HRmaxRESERVE = 180 - 63 = 117

3)Calculate the lower limit of your THR. Figure 60% of the HRmaxRESERVE (multiply by 0.6) and add your RHR to the answer. For example,

(117 * 0.6) + 63 = 133.

4)Calculate the upper limit of your THR. Figure 80% of the HRmaxRESERVE (multiply by 0.8) and add your RHR to the answer. For example,

(117 * 0.8) + 63 = 157.

5)Combine the values obtained in steps 3 and 4 and divide by the number 2. For example,

(133 + 157) / 2 = 145 (You can get the same result by simply multiplying HRmaxRESERVE by 0.7 and adding to it RHR).

Great job, getting back to your exercise zones. Stay in the your aerobic zones, and stay out of the gray zones. Let your body burn fat, rather than carbs. Our bodies have abundance of Fat cells within us. 

Keep up the good work!

Scott

2011-05-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3487979

Regular

Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure where I was at for mile 3.  My goal for the 5k was to run it in negative splits -  I'm assuming I was just under a 12 minute (because I went 1.1 miles in 12 minutes).  They didn't have a marker for the third mile but I sprinted when I could see the finish line. 

I felt good though with the running - you asked what's the longest I've run before - that was it actually. 

It's amazing how much progress I have made in five weeks - five weeks ago I would have been lucky if I was able to run a mile without stopping. 

Jen

2011-05-08 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3487995

User image

Expert

That's amazing. Ok, now we have a benchmark. Please don't increase your volume by no more than 10% a week. I wouldn't want you to get injured. You're body is still adapting to this stress. Great job! 

Scott

2011-05-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3439366

Hi Scott,

This is my first year doing triathlons.  I have this crazy intense boyfriend who persuaded me to get into it and has been very supportive.  I think I will be doing the following races:

June 11th:  Hyannis Sprint

July 30th:  Whaling City Sprint

August 14th:  Sharon's Back Sprint (Hopefully)

August 28th:  Cranberry Olympic

And maybe 2 more in September.

Any words of wisdom, and also just this week at a beginner triathlon clinic someone told me about a fun run every Monday would that bed a good idea?  Maybe ride my bike a little and then transition to the run.  I'm just afraid of not being able to keep up with the other runners.

2011-05-08 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3488013

User image

Expert

Hap3424

Well, it depends on how hard you go out on the fun run, if you use it as training, I don't see a problem with it. It's always fun to run with like minded people.  As being a race weekly and pushing yourself, I would not do this. Technically you're body needs a day for each mile you run to fully recover. What is your longest run you've done to date. You have a pretty aggressive schedule, with Sharon, and Cranberry Olympic you will need to start increasing your volume so you'll be able to run the 4.5 miles, and 10k respectively.  As being a newbie, just go out and have fun. As for your BF, sounds like a great guy

here are a few questions for you, 

Do you train with your heart? Or do you go as you feel. 

What would you say your limiter is? Do you bike often?

Scott

2011-05-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3487976

shellback1998 - 2011-05-08 3:19 PM

Awesome job Joy... That's what I like to hear. Getting faster on the bike is just as simple as biking more. You need to build up that engine. Right now, it's a 4 cylinder, keep biking and sooner or later it will become a 6  or 8 cylinder. Trying doing hill repeats. Also, what's the longest ride you've been on.   Does your bike have a cadence on it?, If so, try keeping your bike cadence above 95+ build that endurance up...

Also, find a local time trial and compete in them. 

Scott

Thanks for the advice! I've been as far as 20 miles, but couldn't really hold the cadence for the last 5 or so. I need to work on keeping it above 95, especially on hills. I usually keep it between 85-100. My brother is a biker and tells me "low pressure, high cadence" all the time!

2011-05-09 5:45 AM
in reply to: #3488434

User image

Expert

That's great! Listen to your brother. However, my coach tells me to stay at 95+ only for the base phase of my plans, and for the build, and peak to stay between 85-90. However, that falls in between what you try to do anyway. So again great job. Seeing you couldn't keep the cadence up for the last 5 miles, gives you a benchmark to come back to. Continue biking, build that endurance up and the next time, see if you can cut that deficit down by 2 miles,  then the next time down to 1 miles, until can do that ride at the above cadence. You're doing great! Make sure you having your recovery drink after you ride hard though. You don't want to bike on fatigued legs. 

Scott

2011-05-09 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3487968

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-08 4:12 PM

Hey Scott, You sound like you've made great progress swimming that's great. What masters are you doing? Did you volunteer at season's opener today? Thank you about the complements and glad you joined as well to the group. You'll add a ton of knowledge as well. Are you doing the training weekend in two weeks? Well, about your questions, I train with power and I try to keep my power constant throughout. I never leave my saddle, so I suggest you don't either. Hammering up a hill will increase your HR, just keep pedaling and stay constant and you'll get to your goal just as quick.  I'm glad to see you're doing Pumpkinman, I myself are doing that race. That should be fun... Reminds me, I need to sign up.  Yes, riding in Aero is definitely a beast. My mentor on BSTT, is actually Patrik, and he's taught me a ton. I remember that discussion on the forum.  Well, if you have any specific questions, please continue to feel free ask. Welcome again.

Scott

I did not volunteer as I was on-call for work and it's a good thing I didn't as there was a major issue but whatever that's over.

I'm doing the Hanover Y master. Steve C is in there as well and occasionally when leaving we'll run into Anthony and Kyle.

I do plan on doing the training weekend.

I actually make it a point never to leave the saddle so I'm glad I'm doing that right. There's that awful sound on a steep hill where you try to down shift and you realize there's no gears left!!!!! Time to suck it up and also to suck wind.

Patrick averaging 21.6 on that Oceanside course....I was like holy crap that's a completely different league than I'm in. So you are in good hands.

Wednesday of last week did a brick. The Cohasset Sprint bike couse X2 followed by the run course X1. So 23.2 on the bike followed by 3.25 run. Bike course is moderately hilly. I averaged a 139 BPM on the bike and this was by design. The run was a tempo run where I did 8:31 average with a 157 BPM average and all three miles were consistent tempo, heart rate and effort.Course is super hilly.

Friday did 10.14 miles at 9:59 pace and 138 BPM zone 2 run. Course was moderately hilly thus the heart rate being a little higher than I would like although I didn't warm up so that's slight distorted because my first mile was a 150 average as my body got used to it being 5AM. The other miles were no higher than a 140 average and most 133-135.

So I rode Saturday for 90 minutes and 27 miles. Course was flat on purpose. Average heart rate was 134. Tempo, heart rate and effort very consistent mile to mile, or three miles since that is my Garmin Auto Lap setting which works well for me.

Sunday off. Tue and Thur are masters but I'm not worried about those.

Today was 24 miles in 78 minutes on a super hilly course. Average heart rate was 156 BPM. Effort and heart rate were consistent. I was pushing very hard today

Does this look like a good training plan? I sort of winging it by my schedule but with the exception of the Saturday rides getting longer and longer I like this routine.

2011-05-09 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3489234

User image

Expert

Ah,  you go to the Hanover Y with (Steve O), and (Albert, and Kyle) Not Tony From what you just mentioned, it sounds like you're doing a good job.  138 HR, High... That sounds pretty good for me at that pace... My Z2 Pace gets up to 150... what is your max hr? You're training plan sounds pretty good. How often are you doing bricks? Are you starting your build phase or are you still in your base. With your first race in little over a month, I would assume you are in your build. Now with that being said, why would you want to keep your HR that low? I would assume you would want to be running at a higher zone low to mid 3's to push your Threshold out a little. Similar to what you did today on the bike.  Zone 1&2 are great for base and the beginning of your build. So on a given week, you're swimming 2 days, biking 3 days and running 3 days?  Are you doing any Brick workouts?

Scott

2011-05-09 11:50 AM

User image

New user

Fraser Valley

Participated in a 5-k run yesterday, thought it would be a good opportunity to do a psuedo 'brick-run' so I biked there, about 15 min and then began the race soon after. Ran it in 29 min. then biked back home. Felt good after. Still haven't picked up that HR monitor/pace watch but I was keeping a very comfortable pace and then picked it up for the last km, sprinting the last stretch so I think I was running about a 6 min/km pace (yes I am Canadian Wink ).

still avoiding swimming - quite nervous about going to the pool and making a fool of myself. just need to dive in head first I guess.

Happy Training everyone

2011-05-09 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3489369

User image

Expert

Don't think you're going to make a fool out of yourself. Get in the pool and start swimming... We all started there at some point,  Congrats on your brick though. Sounds like you did a great job.  6 min/km = 9.6 min/mile  That's pretty good.  So if you were sprinting the last stretch, you left to much on the course Little food for though. But, all together you did a great job. 

Scott

2011-05-09 12:24 PM

I have a longer triathlon coming up on the 21st. I have successfully swam 2 750m races, but this one has a 1000m swim. If I did 750 and felt pretty good after the last one, will I make it 1000? Should I start at a slower pace? I'm nervous about it.... not nervous about the 17 mile bike or the 3.1 mile run. (And I really am a good swimmer, I hang with the crowd and rank really well there, so I don't know why I am nervous).

Joy

2011-05-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3489459

User image

Expert

Joy

Well, you shouldn't be nervous be confident in your ability. I know all of us will be pulling for you. Have you swam the distance before? I had a recovery swim today which was 1400 yards. What is your pace per/100M? 21st is 12 days away, so go to a pool and swim that 1000M. Gain the confidence that you need and kill that race. I'm sure you'll find that you won't have any problem at all. 

Scott

2011-05-09 12:33 PM

User image

Expert

Today's workout 5/9/2011

1400 continuous at 800TT pace plus 15 seconds per 100 (ZR swim pace)

Now yours!

Scott

2011-05-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3489275

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-09 12:09 PM

Ah,  you go to the Hanover Y with (Steve O), and (Albert, and Kyle) Not Tony From what you just mentioned, it sounds like you're doing a good job.  138 HR, High... That sounds pretty good for me at that pace... My Z2 Pace gets up to 150... what is your max hr? You're training plan sounds pretty good. How often are you doing bricks? Are you starting your build phase or are you still in your base. With your first race in little over a month, I would assume you are in your build. Now with that being said, why would you want to keep your HR that low? I would assume you would want to be running at a higher zone low to mid 3's to push your Threshold out a little. Similar to what you did today on the bike.  Zone 1&2 are great for base and the beginning of your build. So on a given week, you're swimming 2 days, biking 3 days and running 3 days?  Are you doing any Brick workouts?

Scott

I'm sort of doing some base some build because my A race is the NYC 8/7 event and because I want to build for Pumkinman in September. Ashland and Stamford while I want to do well are more to get a couple of Olympics under my belt for August.

I've never done a heart rate test per say but doing the Quincy half marathon the last 4 miles I averaged 175 with a max of 184 while going 8:28, 8:28, 8:07 and 7:41. Cohasset 10K I again maxed at 184 and averaged 170, god is that course hilly.

I'm biking 3 but running and swimming 2. Given how knew I am to the aero position if I'm going to put in the extra day I want it to be there. I'm stronger at cycling than the other two disciplines so long term this might not always be true but for now it just makes sense to me.

On the run I do a brick one day which looks to be Wednesday because we'll be doing that Cohasset 2X the bike course 1X the run for a while. If you have interested the first bike loop leaves at 5AM and the second 5:45. Some people only do one loop. Then everybody runs. Usually 5 or so people.

I think I'll take your suggestion and split my long run day into some more Z3 work. Perhaps do zone two for the first 4 miles then use the last 6+ as a zone 3 slower tempo run.

2011-05-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3489517

User image

Expert

Seeing that data you ran, that's a huge gap in HR. usually zones are 10-12 beats apart. You're zone 2 at 138, to your max hr of 184 that's 15 and change per zone. I'm not a coach, but that seems odd to me.  Do you have the triathletes bible by joe friel? There is a good chapter about HR zone training in there. I might actually take you up on that offer some day to do some of that training in the morning. Normally my mornings consist of lap swim. Are you going to be doing the OWS at morton pond?

Scott

2011-05-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3489476

Regular

Today was my first "official" day with the brick workout at the club:

30 minute spin

18 minute run (increased my distance by 10% for a total of 1.65 miles)

10 minute abs

Tonight I have my strength training with the trainer, so I'll have a well-rounded workout in for the day.

I have to get there nice and early in order to get a bike, so I was able to get a 20 minute swim in as well.  I need to work on my rotary breathing - I'm having a difficult time with changing my breathing.  I have (maybe) a stupid question...  I'm a good enough swimmer - I am strong with my endurance and have pretty good form.  How much time do I really want to spend actually improving on  my swim?  I know that in the tri it's pretty much a cluster in the swim and how much can I really affect my time?  I would continue with a few training swims a week, but feel my time and energy might be more productively spent on the ride and run.  Thoughts? 

Also, this is kind of a gross question, but it is driving me nuts on the rides.  My nose constantly runs.  It doesn't when I'm spinning in the studio and I don't have allergies.  Any suggestions on getting this to stop?

2011-05-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3489589

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-09 2:19 PM

Seeing that data you ran, that's a huge gap in HR. usually zones are 10-12 beats apart. You're zone 2 at 138, to your max hr of 184 that's 15 and change per zone. I'm not a coach, but that seems odd to me.  Do you have the triathletes bible by joe friel? There is a good chapter about HR zone training in there. I might actually take you up on that offer some day to do some of that training in the morning. Normally my mornings consist of lap swim. Are you going to be doing the OWS at morton pond?

I took it out of the library and made it through the first third. Getting up at 4-4:30AM to train and then working all day, then going home and doing stuff with the kids I'm toast at night and end up falling asleep after a few pages. I love to read when I have the time and I have a lot of vacation time coming up so I'll ram through it then.

If they do Morton days other than Tue and Thurs I will. Those are masters swim days. A Saturday morning would would because I would run or bike after.

Once it gets warmer we are going to swim at Sandy beach as well to turn it into a mini tri. Probably not a long swim but enough to do transition and get more current in the open water.

Edited by everlong 2011-05-09 1:31 PM
2011-05-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3489592

User image

Expert

Um, on the nose issue, i know this is going to sound gross but, have you tried snot rockets. My nose as well runs, at the club if I am doing spinning class, I bring klenex. However, Don't have that  luxury while biking, so I just make sure no one is looking and

Well, to answer your question. It sounds like the running is your limiter. I would still however swim at least twice a week, then bike and spend some time with the Run. Yes, swim is usually a cluster, but if you're fast enough to get ahead of the cluster, it's usually not that bad. Have you looked into the Total Immersion book? TI, shows you how to get balance and there are specific drills you could do to help you bi laterally breath.  Just remember you're not going to win the event by the swim, but you most certainly can lose it However, I'm glad to hear that you have good endurance with this leg though. 

I'm glad to hear you only increase your distance by 10%, I know it's frustrating but it will pay off. 

Sounds like you've had a productive day. Remember, to get well rested. And remember to have a recovery drink to start repairing those muscles of the scar tissue you created today. 

Scott

2011-05-09 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3489624

User image

Expert

HA, I know exactly what you mean! I felt the same way, but it is a great book to get reference on. Well, I am sure people will start doing other days other than T&R, as those are not my swim days as well. We'll have to see what's going on. Saturday's aren't really good for me as I lead a group ride out of SPARK BRS, on Saturday morning. www.sparkbrs.com So, but I might be able to accommodated some weekends.  Are you planning to do the strawberry shortcake run, at the training weekend?

Scott

2011-05-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3489639

User image

Expert
shellback1998 - 2011-05-09 2:32 PM

Are you planning to do the strawberry shortcake run, at the training weekend?

Probably not. The biking part fits my current schedule perfectly but my long run is on Friday so I don't want to run again on Saturday. Adding the swim isn't an issue.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67