BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-04-29 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3442771

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Destination MoP - OPEN

NAME: Melanie

STORY:
  Just turned 50 this month.  Started running in 2002.  Signed up for my first marathon in 2004 because I WAS NOT going to go up a size in my jeans.  I've completed seven marathons since then.  I like trail running and have completed a 50-miler and two 50Ks.  In 2009 I started commuting to work by bicycle.  Signing up for a triathlon seemed a no-brainer.  Last summer I completed my first Olympic distance.  I'm hooked.  I like the variety, the challenge, being outdoors, and all the health benefits the training brings.  This year I've signed up for two Olympics, one sprint, and an assortment of running races.  

FAMILY STATUS:  
Married, 2 daughters (20 and 15)

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
 One Olympic triathlon

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Pretty much every day I get something related to triathlon in.  Commuting 5 days/week by bicycle, swim twice a week,  and run 3 times a week.  Really trying to incorporate more stretching and yoga into routine.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: 2 Olympic and 1 Sprint, 1 marathon, 1 10K, and a few trail 5 or 10 milers.  Already completed a 50K trail race this year (really hard race for me this time).

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): Maybe lose 2-3 pounds.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:  I hope the group can provide some motivation when I'm struggling with keeping things going.  I'm hoping there are some other 'mature' athletes who can provide advice.  I can provide some advice on becoming a better runner.  I've actually become faster over the past two years and am setting PRs.  Maybe I can motivate someone too!

Thanks,

Melanie

2011-04-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3473486

User image

Veteran
jlmongold - 2011-04-29 12:43 PM

As I suspected, I definitely need some different clothing because it took me a solid 3 minutes (and multiple attempts) to get the sports bra over my head & pulled down over my partially dried off self/swimsuit.  I was just glad I was alone in the pool area & the teenage lifeguard wasn't paying any attention to me since I'm sure I looked ridiculous (I felt it).  Given how long it took to get the extra stuff on after partially drying off, I had to cut my bike super short so I could still make my 9am appointment. 

Have you considered wearing your sports bra under your swimsuit?  I might try that.  I bought a more supportive suit (shock absorber swimsuit).  I suspect I'll have problems with this as well.  I need to try out my suit.

2011-04-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3473783

User image

rustymom - 2011-04-29 3:07 PM

Have you considered wearing your sports bra under your swimsuit?  I might try that.  I bought a more supportive suit (shock absorber swimsuit).  I suspect I'll have problems with this as well.  I need to try out my suit.

I did that once when I was going from swimming to running & it just wasn't comfortable for me - and I think I'll still have the issues with getting some sort of bottoms on since there's no way to bike or run at this weight without some sort of barrier between my thighs!  My plan is to find some tri shorts (difficult at this weight/size, but doable if I search hard enough) & wear those with a top/bra combo I already have (not a tri top, but similar & comfortable - at least, I think/hope it will be) - and just throw on a shirt after the swim.  So once I find the shorts, I'll try it out & see if I can make that work for me.  I only have 8 weeks til my 1st tri, so I need to get (s)hopping!

2011-04-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3473828

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
jlmongold - 2011-04-29 8:25 PM
rustymom - 2011-04-29 3:07 PM

I did that once when I was going from swimming to running & it just wasn't comfortable for me - and I think I'll still have the issues with getting some sort of bottoms on since there's no way to bike or run at this weight without some sort of barrier between my thighs!  My plan is to find some tri shorts (difficult at this weight/size, but doable if I search hard enough) & wear those with a top/bra combo I already have (not a tri top, but similar & comfortable - at least, I think/hope it will be) - and just throw on a shirt after the swim.  So once I find the shorts, I'll try it out & see if I can make that work for me.  I only have 8 weeks til my 1st tri, so I need to get (s)hopping!

Have you considered a tri suit?  I know they're not attractive or something anyone's really comfortable in, but they're very practical for everything we do.  I have one with a built-in sports bra, so it covers all the bases.  I threw a T-shirt on after the swim for the tri this week because it was a little cool, but also it covers the unsightly bulges ;-)

2011-04-29 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Today is a rest day for me.  We had to drive home from our holiday, but unfortunately my husband's grandfather died yesterday, so we stopped off to see his family on the way, which filled the day.  He was quite ill, but it was all quite quick in the end, so everyone's still a little shocked by it...

I have a feeling I'm going to be resting this weekend as well.  My heel pain seems to be resolving nicely, but the wakeboarding has left me with rather fatigued lat's, so tomorrow's planned swim has gone out the window.  I'm also back at work early tomorrow morning, so I think a couple of easy days won't hurt.  The holiday was great, but I probably did a little more than I should have!  Hopefully everything will be back on track for running on Monday.

Good luck to anyone who is competing this weekend, and welcome to all our new (and old) members.  It's great to see so many friendly faces.

2011-04-29 4:02 PM

New user

Name: Jessica

My Story: I am 45 years old and will be doing my first sprint tri on June 6th!  So close. Last year both my kids trained and participated in a kids tri and I was just starting a fitness kick so I trained with them and in the process lost 40lbs!  They were so inspirational to me that I became determined to give it a shot next year and guess what? Its next year!  I've had a weight issue all my life and I can truly say that I am, deep down, an athlete. I LOVE training.  I was never active in sports in school and have had moments of slimness but I  think I'll always be in the Athena group.

Family: 13 yr old boy, 9 yr old girl. Husband bikes but that's all!  We both work full time. My father lives with us and is a great help with the kids.

Current training:  Do whatever I can whenever I can!  I had a training plan but with kids there really is no plan just a passion for getting it done. I swim once a week - I know not nearly enough - bike on the weekends when its not 40 or blowing a gale (I live in CO), I run 3x a week, I have a treadmill so running is easy to get done. I'm slow and my goal is do a sub 40 minute 5K by summer's end.

2011 Races:  Longmont Sprint Tri - June 6th.  Venus de Miles bike ride Aug 28th. I hope to do an open water tri sometime this summer if I can get to the pool more often

Weightloss: well like I said 40 lbs last year. I have another 30 I'd like to lose but have maintained since last August.

I hope by participating in this program I will be able to stick to my training more easily

2011-04-29 5:29 PM

User image

Expert

Wow! I'm so excited to see so many new faces, and so many posts! I just scanned things now. After my kids are in bed, I've done my time on the trainer, and hubby is off to his gig, I'll start writing replies.

For now, I want to say a general welcome to  every one!

Still no definitive answer as to whether my daughters wrist is broken. She has the splint off now, (per Dr. orders), to see how she's feeling in a couple of hours. 

It looks like we have some great people who have joined us- I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

-Heidi

2011-04-29 5:30 PM

User image

Expert

Wow! I'm so excited to see so many new faces, and so many posts! I just scanned things now. After my kids are in bed, I've done my time on the trainer, and hubby is off to his gig, I'll start writing replies.

For now, I want to say a general welcome to  every one!

Still no definitive answer as to whether my daughters wrist is broken. She has the splint off now, (per Dr. orders), to see how she's feeling in a couple of hours. 

It looks like we have some great people who have joined us- I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

-Heidi

2011-04-29 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3473778

User image

Expert
Falls Church
oh and by 'mature', I meant well-aged....
2011-04-29 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3473401

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Cynthia!  Welcome to Act 2 of MoP!  Glad to have you re-up :-)

Good luck in Napa this weekend - remember to drink the wine *after* the race. Can't wait to read your race report!

And congrats on surviving pre-cal.  That's a terrific accomplishment and one that I know was a serious challenge for you... enjoy a well deserved break!

-Stu

2011-04-29 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3473778

User image

Expert

Welcome to MoP, Melanie and congrats on hitting the big 5-0!  (new age group, yay!)  Isn't it great to make personal bests at our "mature" age :-

Count on me to start bugging you with questions when I start trying to figure out the whole marathon thing.  I have a friend who has done some of those ultras... she claims that it isn't as hard on you as a marathon.  Hmmmm... they both sound pretty impressive to me.

Good for you on the bike commuting.  I did some of that last year, but I just moved offices and now am about 35 miles from work and I wish the roads were a bit more bike friendly here. 

-Stu

2011-04-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3474121

User image

Expert

hoffsquared - 2011-04-29 6:31 PM oh and by 'mature', I meant well-aged....

I've got the years, not sure about the personality ;-)

2011-04-29 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3473982

User image

Expert

Hi Jessica and welcome to MoP!

Sounds like you have a super active family... fantastic!  and 5 weeks to go until your first tri - that's really exciting!  Smart to start with a pool tri as the OWS (open water swim) definitely adds a few new dimensions and it sounds like you might be a little light on the swimming for now (which, so long as you avoid drowning is probably the one to let slide).

So welcome aboard and we're all looking forward to helping you achieve your goals!

-Stu

2011-04-29 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Destination MoP - Our Summer Group

I think we've done got us a group!  Here's a quick list of everyone (I hope - If I missed you or made a mistake it's b/c I'm doing this while watching PBS, not because I'm old and senile).  We might have a straggler or two from January's group join in (I promised them all they'd always have a spot with the new group).

It looks like a great group that can truly help each other.  We have lots of ages and many different experiences.  So ask questions, answer questions, cheer on your fellow MoPers and let's get rolling!

-Stu

Screen
Name
NameLocationExperience2011 Race Goal
Slow TurtleHeidiNew YorkSprintSprint/OLY
JuneAppleStuVirginiaHIM, HMsHIM/Marathon
BeachProfJoanneNorth CarolinaSprintSprint/OLY
ChapfallenRachelEnglandSprintHIM
RustyMomAndreaConnecticutMini Tris, 5KsSprint
SportzVisionCynthiaNevadaOLYOLY
Tkimble01TomNorthern OhioHIMIM
jlmongoldJenniferMid AtlanticNew to Tris, 5KSprint
christineakendallChristineMaineSprintHIM
sschaarSteveNorth CarolinaNewSprint
dvmcafeeValerieTexasNew to Tri, MarathonsOLY
AlloyalThomasWorld Traveler :-)New to Tri, HM and MarathonSprint
perilousleighErinMaineNew to Tri, 5KsSprint
yubiGriselHopefully near the waterBack after hiatusSprint
Fast40MattUtahNew to Tri, 5KsSprint
hoffsquaredMelanieMid AtlanticOLY, Marathons+OLY
hihikngJessicaColoradoNewSprint

Edited by juneapple 2011-04-30 6:07 AM
2011-04-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3472806

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: HIM Nutrition
I can tell you what not to do as far as nutrition on your first HIM.  When you get finished with the bike and get ready for the run and you have plans to scarf down a cup of Wheaties fuel cereal and drink some water.  Make sure nobody has taken your water or else you will be choking up dry cereal for about thew first mile of the run.  True story. It happened to me until I got to the first drink stop.
2011-04-30 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!)

So it's pretty early (6:20am).  I'm waiting for the paper to arrive.

I had to make sure my highschooler got off to her regatta today.  We were both up at 5:00am.  There's been a complete change in the race schedule since they posted it at noon yesterday.  I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make her race.  Race location is not optimal for changes in plans.  She's a coxswain.  

I plan on getting in a 30 mile training ride today.  In fact one of my goals is to actually do training rides.  My only training for my race last year was commuting to work.  My round-trip commute is either 15 or 18 miles depending on whether I get dropped off at the trailhead.  This year needs to be different.  So weekend rides are a must.

This week I also started my weekday runs in my new Merrell Pace Glove shoes.  They are minimalist barefoot type.  So far so good.  No calf or other soreness.  I've had PF issues in the past and one knee is starting to bother me so strengthening my feet and other supporting muscles is important I think.  I will stick with my regular shoes for my longer weekend runs.

2011-04-30 4:32 PM

New user

Chicago, IL
If you are free, I would love to join this group.  I am 42 and did my first sprint tri last June.  I trained using Hal Higdon's tri training and started it again this year.  It's a little heavy on running but that is the part that I like the least so I figured it was good.  What do i do to join?
2011-04-30 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3475028

User image

Expert

kelty412 - 2011-04-30 5:32 PM If you are free, I would love to join this group.  I am 42 and did my first sprint tri last June.  I trained using Hal Higdon's tri training and started it again this year.  It's a little heavy on running but that is the part that I like the least so I figured it was good.  What do i do to join?

Hi Kelty,

Yep, we charged for the January program, but this summer one is totally free ;-)  Anyway, I think we can probably squeeze another person in ...[rearranging bikes on the rack a bit]... yep, you're all set.  Just watch out for Tom's Wheaties. 

To join, you'll see the 2nd post on page one a format that you can use to introduce yourself to the rest of the group (and you can read through everyone else's which are scattered over the first 5 pages of this thread).

Welcome aboard! 

-Stu

Edited by juneapple 2011-04-30 5:30 PM
2011-04-30 7:56 PM

User image

Expert

Oh My! I've got some catching up to do...dishes will have to wait

I apologize in advance- I'm going to flood this group with responses now. It works best for me when I quote what you wrote- so sorry, it's going to take up some room.

2011-04-30 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3469770

User image

Expert
Alloyal - 2011-04-27 4:30 PM

This is Thomas. I am 50 and finished my first half marathon in April..13 minutes pace. Finished my first marathon three years ago in 7 hours. (BOP = Behind the Pack). Not really, there were 20,000 runners behind me. I like to set a triathlon as a goal. I do not swim and getting back to it. I rarely cycled. So I am aiming at a tri towards the end of the year.

Current training:

Monday: salsa

running club on Tuesday. 4 miles. told the group that my goal is 15 miles.

Pilates and beginning to swim on Wed

Light weights  and treadmills on Thursday

aerobic salsa and Pilates on Friday. will put in spinning soon.

Saturday: maybe tennis

Sunday: rest

Weight loss: to go from 182.5 to a range in the 160s (165)

Mentor Group: Help me with my eating. I am Asian and love Chinese food. I know where to find good food. I travel. June to Italy, November to Brazil. What do I do when I travel?

Little core strength. Going at 10.5 miles pace at the half marathon until the 10 miles mark when my groin and inner thigh hurts. So I welcome any ideas to improve my core.

Upper body: None. Need ideas, motivation, etc there too.

I love travelling but have not done so for two years (no $$$). But love hearing travel stories. So do share.

Summary: Nutrition(biggest); Core; Upper Body;cycling;swimming

Thomas

Hello Thomas- It sounds like you have a busy week. I didn't see any bike time in your week plan. Do you have any scheduled?

2011-04-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3470236

User image

Expert
perilousleigh - 2011-04-27 9:25 PM

Hi all!

NAME: Erin

STORY:
  I'm a total tri newbie with my first being this July 31st.  I'm 30 and for many years now I've had an aspiration (for some crazy reason! lol) to be more athletic and specifically to become a runner/triathlete.  Quite a few years ago I tried to get started with a Couch to 5k program and ran in a couple 5Ks but was plagued with serious shin splints.  After that I stopped for awhile and struggled multiple times to start up running again but was never able to find much success and stick with it.  Two years ago I had surgery on my back for a bulging disc and from before then up till now I've had trouble sticking with any kind of exercise regimen without my back pain flaring up.  Finally I just bit the bullet and signed up for a tri and a 5k this summer, hoping that will be the motivation I need to get serious with a training program and become the active, fit, strong, healthy person I really want to and know I can be!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married with two children (actually they are chihuahuas but they are our babies).

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
None, can't wait to get some!

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Started running in March, 3 x a week, added biking beginning of April 2 x a week, and just added swimming last weekend.  I'm having trouble finding pool time in my area.  I live by a lake and hope to start open water swimming there very soon.  I also do 1.5 hours of Ashtanga yoga a week and plan to add in some weightlifting here and there.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: Twilight 5K June 9th, Tri for a Cure July 31st (which I see Christine did last year, hey there fellow Mainer! ), and I plan to add on more 5ks and any other Sprints I can find in the area.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): A few years ago I did the P90X fitness program (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do if you've never heard of it) and I lost 40 lbs.  Since then I've maintained that weight and am fairly satisfied with where I'm at.  I have lost a lot of muscle mass from lack of activity though so I would like to lean up more and lose a bit more body fat (i.e. yes I'm a little flabby ;-p ).

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP: I'm looking for advice and tips and I'm always happy to share what little things I've learned or that I've found to help (or would be good to avoid!).  I'm also really looking forward to just sharing our experiences with each other, building camaraderie and sharing motivation and encouragement!  It should be fun!

Welcome Erin. I've been really interested in the P90X. Did you get bored with it at all? 

2011-04-30 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3472602

User image

Expert
Fast40 - 2011-04-28 11:04 PM

I want to join!!

NAME: Matt

STORY: I'm a total tri newbie with my first being this August 27.  I turned 35 this month and decided that I wanted to start running so that I could finish a few 5k races with my kids this summer.  After running jogging a few months, for some reason tri sounded like it could be very rewarding if my body will hold up.  I have competed in several diffent sports in the past which have taken a toll on a few of my joints but none of them were endurance sports.  I am looking forward to the challenge of finishing my first tri and enjoying the adventure! 

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married with 4 children so you can imagine how crazy our schedule can be with all four of them in different sports!  Two boys at the age of 13 & 11 and girls aged at 9 & 3.   My boys run cross country in Middle School and kind of got me started on this crazy journey.

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):  Nothing yet

CURRENT TRAINING: I started doing a slightly modified verison of the "Your 1st Sprint Triathlon Plan" by Lance Watson that was published in the May edition of Triathlete magazine.  Started on Monday.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: Bear Lake Sprint

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any): This has not been a problem for me yet. 

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:  I will need help with commitment to train as well as asking people questions that are facing some of the same challenges or have already been there and done it.  I'm hopeful to bring support and a positive attitude to the group.

Welcome to MOP Matt! When is the Bear Lake Sprint?

I think it's great that your kids are motivating you to try running and tri's. I love how families feed off of each other. Once the positive energy gets started by one family member, it becomes contagious for others.

-Heidi

2011-04-30 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3472787

User image

Expert
beachprof - 2011-04-29 7:25 AM

Hi Stu and the group,

I have been out of the loop with a crazy work schedule but I'm back! I can't remember how to join the training group so can you let me know if I'm already in the group or I have to do something? Once the weekend gets here I will fill out the list of items and tell you all where I am with my training. Short story is I'm a professor and this is hell month! It will all be over soon and hopefully my achilles tendon issues will be healed soon too!

Joanne

Welcome back Joanne! How is your achilles doing?

2011-04-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3472825

User image

Expert
christineakendall - 2011-04-29 8:10 AM

Thanks Stu! I can appreciate the minimalist approach to nutrition during the race. I am one who has been prone to issues, specifically with regards to nutrition, less may be better.

Last year a group of us ran Ragnar NY (185 mile relay), and we had two seriously ill runners after their first legs. We have determined possible causes were heat, overhydration, and food consumed during the race. Our approach this year will be nutrition focused. One of the more memorable quotes from the relay was, "If someone pukes in the van, that's a game changer." Fortunately, that never happened. :-D

Everyone - I am thrilled it is Friday, work is much more relaxed! It looks like I will survive my Week 1 1/2 IM training without issue (134 days and counting). I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

-Way to go, on completing and surviving your first week of HIM training!

-Heidi

2011-04-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3472853

User image

Expert

yubi - 2011-04-29 8:28 AM Hi I am Grisel, a 37 year old marine biologist trying to get back to triathlons after a 3 year hiatus due to IT band syndrome...I've been trainnning on and off since january and seriously for triathlon sonce march, but I've been sick (flu) so I've out a couple of weeks...do you think I still have time to be ready for June 12 the triathlon?

Hello Grisel,

what distance is the  June 12 tri?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  

of 35