BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-12-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN

Ok  a quick roundup of who is here.

We have so far

Quincy, Dave, Shelly,  Cheri, Ted, Tom, Michel, Wendy, Trei,, Matt, Mark, Jacki, Sean, and Yvonne.    

Have I missed anyone?   I have had a few cocktails so  it is possible. 

I think there is room for about 3-4 more before we will have to close. 

So anyone on the outside looking in,  This Magical Mys-Tri Tour! is waiting to take you away!!!! 

2011-12-31 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3962948

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
oriolepwr - 2011-12-30 8:31 PM
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-12-30 3:33 PM

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    Because I know there will be lots of laughs and a good atmosphere to keep pusing people along and motivated without going over the top serious.  Where else can one talk Triathlon, Airplane AND Holy Grail in likely the same sentence.  Probably no where else on the whole internet.

Hiya Mark!     

Completely agree with you!!!         

Dang. I should have said that we demand a shrubbery, and that i picked the wrong week to stop doing meth!
2011-12-31 3:35 PM

User image

New user

Sacramento area

NAME: Kent (kentkillsit)

STORY: 40 years old, soon to be 41.  I started jogging in my 20's after many miserable attempts to do so up until then.  I had some issue with my back that would start stabbing as soon as I started breathing heavy - maybe a quarter-mile into a run.  Probably didn't help that I smoked.  Youth is wasted on the young, all that . . . After taking a flyer on a cold-calling chiropractor, I was "fixed" within a month and have been feebly jogging since.  My first 5k after running a year or so was liberating - slow, fat, and non-competive, I brought up the rear and am convinced that I felt more proud of myself than 90% of those who finished in front of me.  Since then, I've done a few 5ks and 10ks and a half-marathon two years ago, always bringing up the rear.  I'm probably 50 pounds overweight and still in pursuit of a body image that I've been chasing since I started getting fat in fifth grade.  The clock, however, continues to mercilessly tick.  I watched my wife complete her first oly triathlon last summer and I'm now inspired to do the same.  I've started biking, tried swimming (this part kills me - I'm horrible at it and it's so public!), and continue to do my roadwork.  The tri is something I want for myself, and also something I'm eager to share with my wife (at her invitation, I should add - not trying to siphon her glory)  Also on my radar is a full marathon.  Times don't really matter to me, but I'd like to train, finish, and compete with myself for bigger and better goals.  I fear that my body will give out before my will, that I'll always have to live in a body I'm embarassed by, and that my lifelong suspicion that I'm pretending to be an athlete while others actually are athletes will be confirmed.

FAMILY STATUS:  Awesome wife who got me started on this tri stuff, 10-year old daughter who has started running recently and has expressed interest in triathlons, and a 7-year old son who talks the talk, but needs encouragement to walk the walk.  My dad and brother are long-time runners too.

CURRENT TRAINING: IT-band and plantar fasciitis issues have kept the running limited lately, but I've kept trying.  I do strength and conditioning twice a week at the gym (solo - relaxed versions of guided group workouts I've done in the past), and run once a week, but I'm ready to ramp it up.  I'm hoping for five workouts a week. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Most recently, a slow 5k with my daughter on Thanksgiving.  Prior to that, nothing formal.

2012 RACES:  I'd like to do a sprint tri first, then maybe a half-marathon on my way to an olympic tri in the summer, and maybe finish the year with the California International Marathon in December.  That would be an epic year. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Up, down, currently up.  I'm 255 today and have dreams of 200. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee:  I'm a big cheerleader, have a good sense of humor, am good at conversation, and am willing to take instruction and try new things.  My favorite part of sports was always the camaraderie, and never the competition.  Watching my wife finish her tri and seeing all the groups cheer each other in and congratulate each other afterwards was the most appealing part of triathlon participation.  That's why I'm here.

2011-12-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3963987

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
kentkillsit - 2011-12-31 3:35 PM

NAME: Kent (kentkillsit)

STORY: 40 years old, soon to be 41.  I started jogging in my 20's after many miserable attempts to do so up until then.  I had some issue with my back that would start stabbing as soon as I started breathing heavy - maybe a quarter-mile into a run.  Probably didn't help that I smoked.  Youth is wasted on the young, all that . . . After taking a flyer on a cold-calling chiropractor, I was "fixed" within a month and have been feebly jogging since.  My first 5k after running a year or so was liberating - slow, fat, and non-competive, I brought up the rear and am convinced that I felt more proud of myself than 90% of those who finished in front of me.  Since then, I've done a few 5ks and 10ks and a half-marathon two years ago, always bringing up the rear.  I'm probably 50 pounds overweight and still in pursuit of a body image that I've been chasing since I started getting fat in fifth grade.  The clock, however, continues to mercilessly tick.  I watched my wife complete her first oly triathlon last summer and I'm now inspired to do the same.  I've started biking, tried swimming (this part kills me - I'm horrible at it and it's so public!), and continue to do my roadwork.  The tri is something I want for myself, and also something I'm eager to share with my wife (at her invitation, I should add - not trying to siphon her glory)  Also on my radar is a full marathon.  Times don't really matter to me, but I'd like to train, finish, and compete with myself for bigger and better goals.  I fear that my body will give out before my will, that I'll always have to live in a body I'm embarassed by, and that my lifelong suspicion that I'm pretending to be an athlete while others actually are athletes will be confirmed.

FAMILY STATUS:  Awesome wife who got me started on this tri stuff, 10-year old daughter who has started running recently and has expressed interest in triathlons, and a 7-year old son who talks the talk, but needs encouragement to walk the walk.  My dad and brother are long-time runners too.

CURRENT TRAINING: IT-band and plantar fasciitis issues have kept the running limited lately, but I've kept trying.  I do strength and conditioning twice a week at the gym (solo - relaxed versions of guided group workouts I've done in the past), and run once a week, but I'm ready to ramp it up.  I'm hoping for five workouts a week. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Most recently, a slow 5k with my daughter on Thanksgiving.  Prior to that, nothing formal.

2012 RACES:  I'd like to do a sprint tri first, then maybe a half-marathon on my way to an olympic tri in the summer, and maybe finish the year with the California International Marathon in December.  That would be an epic year. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Up, down, currently up.  I'm 255 today and have dreams of 200. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee:  I'm a big cheerleader, have a good sense of humor, am good at conversation, and am willing to take instruction and try new things.  My favorite part of sports was always the camaraderie, and never the competition.  Watching my wife finish her tri and seeing all the groups cheer each other in and congratulate each other afterwards was the most appealing part of triathlon participation.  That's why I'm here.

Kent

You are perfect for our Touring Mys-Tri magical group!  or is it that other way around??  welcome!!!!

That's the thing about Triathlon that has always amazed me.   Unlike the standalone events (run etc)   where everyone is out to kill everyone else.  Triathlon world is much different.  Even on the course or maybe I should say ESPECIALLY on the course,  everyone is really supportive of each other.   Its really quite a special thing to experience.  

2011-12-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3963474

User image

Sacramento, CA

Crashed your bike resulting in serious injuries but excited to get back on the bike! I don't see here that you are hesitant to get back on the bike That's awesome!  Love that!!

THANKS DAVID!Smile

Edited by cherifortin 2011-12-31 4:47 PM
2011-12-31 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3963578

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
sma777 - 2011-12-31 10:35 AM

There is a HIM in Sept. called FirmMan - ocean swim and rolling bike course. The ocean will still be warm (relatively speaking) and the weather less humid so it is usually nice weather. Plus it'll give me enough time to drop some tonnage and build a base Laughing

They really call it FirmMan???      Triathlon can be exciting but....     Sorry could not help that.     I would LOVE to do a Tri that had an ocean swim!!!     Someday.   Yup 9 months to work with is plenty of time to ramp things up and drop some weight!

Anyhow, so when do you think you will sign up for it?    Cause signing up really has a way of giving you that extra push to get your training or push dessert away.  Ya know?   

2011-12-31 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

I'm about to head out to Dinner and drinks  sooooooooo   going to throw out a personal resolution.

I resolve to run every day in 2012   I mean all of them!      I do have a treadmill.   And I figure that I will run 2 miles on it every AM  in addition to whatever regular training I do.   So if my training calls for a run, I will be running that 2 miler first thing, and then my training run later on.

The only exception is that if its a race day, well then skip the 2 miler.   Still results in running everyday.  

How about you?  resolutions?

2012-01-01 12:45 AM

Rochester

Quincy,

Do you still have a spot open in your group? If so I would love to join. Here is a little about me. 42 yo Divorced dad of 3 great kids ages 14-22, also grandfather to a twin boys 2. Live with my girlfriend, work as a RN in a level 1 trauma hospital, also go to school full time. Little bit of a smartbutt at times, I always say it is better than a dumbbutt!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in October 2011. Of course I was weighing in at 300 lbs, would eat several sweets several times a day. Since then, tured my life around 180degrees. Quit smoking, started exercising, started running, signed up for a 20 mile bike ride in April, have a 40 mile bike ride in June. Of course I just a bought a bike yesterday and waiting for it to be delivered. I at first thought I could do it all on a mountain bike, Duh! Eat I think pretty healthy. Have eliminated all wheat products, except on a cheat meal, from my diet and so far have lost roughly 60-70 lbs.

So can I PLEASE PLEASE join? LOL

Pete

Edited by peterflagg 2012-01-01 2:01 AM
2012-01-01 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Pete-  You are IN!!!! 

This makes the group:

Quincy, Dave, Shelly, Cheri, Ted, Tom, Michel, Wendy, Trei,, Matt, Mark, Jacki, Sean, Yvonne, Kent and Pete!

We can take  one or two more on this tour.

*step right this way!* 

Roll up, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up AND THAT'S AN INVITATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up TO MAKE A RESERVATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
The magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away,
Waiting to take you away.

Roll up WE'VE GOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up SATISFACTION GUARANTEED, roll up for the mystery tour.
The magical mystery tour is hoping to take you away,
Hoping to take you away.

Roll up AND THAT'S AN INVITATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
Roll up TO MAKE A RESERVATION, roll up for the mystery tour.
The magical mystery tour is coming to take you away,
Coming to take you away.
The magical mystery tour is dying to take you away,
Dying to take you away, take you away.

2012-01-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3964455

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-01-01 12:45 AM

Quincy,

Do you still have a spot open in your group? If so I would love to join. Here is a little about me. 42 yo Divorced dad of 3 great kids ages 14-22, also grandfather to a twin boys 2. Live with my girlfriend, work as a RN in a level 1 trauma hospital, also go to school full time. Little bit of a smartbutt at times, I always say it is better than a dumbbutt!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in October 2011. Of course I was weighing in at 300 lbs, would eat several sweets several times a day. Since then, tured my life around 180degrees. Quit smoking, started exercising, started running, signed up for a 20 mile bike ride in April, have a 40 mile bike ride in June. Of course I just a bought a bike yesterday and waiting for it to be delivered. I at first thought I could do it all on a mountain bike, Duh! Eat I think pretty healthy. Have eliminated all wheat products, except on a cheat meal, from my diet and so far have lost roughly 60-70 lbs.

So can I PLEASE PLEASE join? LOL

Pete

Pete

Alright!  another type 2 Athlete!! (I am as well)   You said you were diagnosed in 2011 but I'm guessing you meant 2010.  Cause that would be one heck of a lot of weight to lose in a couple of months.   Heck its a lot of weight to lose period!   Congrats on taking control of your life and your diabetes.    

For me getting diagnosed was one of the best things that ever happened to me.  I seriously doubt I would have done any of this without that diagnosis.   SO many other type 2's   look at exercise as a dreaded thing they have to do.  An active lifestyle is F-U-N  and I feel like a teenager again  competing in sports.    We have to spread the word! 

Is your new bike a roadie?      Do you have plans to do a Triathlon?   Are you still on meds?    Happy you are here.

Dave

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-01 8:57 AM
2012-01-01 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3964203

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2011-12-31 6:37 PM

I'm about to head out to Dinner and drinks  sooooooooo   going to throw out a personal resolution.

I resolve to run every day in 2012   I mean all of them!      I do have a treadmill.   And I figure that I will run 2 miles on it every AM  in addition to whatever regular training I do.   So if my training calls for a run, I will be running that 2 miler first thing, and then my training run later on.

The only exception is that if its a race day, well then skip the 2 miler.   Still results in running everyday.  

Dave

That's an awesome resolution. I really need to run more so I'm thinking one of my resolutions will include running. I don't think I could realistically run ever day so I'm thinking mine will be to run at least 2-3 x's / week. We'll have to hold each other accountable- lol.

Shelly

2012-01-01 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Happy New Years to all you guys. Started off the year with a 5k fun run with dh this am. Can't say there was anything fun about it- haha. I did actually jog the entire distance which is a first for me so that was exciting. And we did it with an avg 11:47/mi which is another first time for me. I usually jog a 12:45 min/mi. The biggest problem was that dh's new Garmin said we only went 2.99miles instead of 3.1mi. I don't think I like that stupid watch Wink.

Dh also won me a t- shirt so I guess there was a few fun things about it- lol.

Anybody else plan to get any workouts in today?

Hope everyone has a great day. Don't forget to eat your cabbage and black eyed peas!

Shelly

2012-01-01 12:58 PM

New user

Happy New Year!! I hope it's not too late to join your group. I started reading all the posts yesterday, got distracted by surprise visitors, and just had a chance to return to find out if there's still room. I hope there is, as I'm trying to FINALLY realize a ten year dream of doing a triathalon. Why ten years with no action? To find out why, read on.

NAME: Lauren (lmo123)

STORY: Like Cheri, I have always been an athletic wannbe. I always thought being an athlete meant you had to be on an organized team, but after going on a canoe trip and climbing to the top of the canoe carrier to hoist up a canoe, I was asked if I did rock climbing. I said, "No. Why would you think that?" The reply, "Well, you're very athletic." At that point, I decided I AM an athlete!! Ever since I was a kid, I've swam, biked, walked/run, done aerobic/cardio work, weightlifted, ice-skated, hiked, and done yoga, but I have never done any kind of race or competitive athletic event. However, after walking in the 2-day, 39 mile Avon Breast Cancer at the request of a friend who wanted a partner (and who's 60), I found I was not only capable of doing a distance event, but I LOVED it - the training, the camraderie, the challenge. So, I decided it was time to STOP letting my fear prevent me from challenging myself and realize my dream of doing a triathalon. Thus, I am the newest of newbies!!

FAMILY STATUS: 46 (will be 47 on the 27th of this month); happily married to DH for 6 years; no biological kids, but lots of so-called "adoptees" from years of coaching high school and college Forensics (speech and debate) teams. Both my husband and I are community college professors of speech communication in the Chicago suburbs and Directors of Forensics programs at our respective schools.

CURRENT TRAINING: Been slacking a bit since October when colder weather and speech season kicked in, but have continued yoga twice a week, some cardio (spinning, walking, cardio-kickboxing, cardio-strenth integration). Prior to that, I was walking/biking 4-5 times a week (distances varied); Cardio-Strength integration class and spinning 1-2 times a week; yoga 1-2 times a week; little swimming. Even now, I exercise in some form 3-4 days a week, but I need to get on a regular regimen. I really need and like a plan, so whatever suggestions you make for a place to start will be helpful.

2012: Not yet decided, but will be looking to do first tri in May/June. There are some women at my college that do triathalons, so I'm hoping some of them will suggest one to start (and maybe join me).

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm fortunate in this is not much of an issue for me. I eat lots of fresh fruits/veggies (yeah for the Kirkland veggie tray; I will eat ALL the broccoli), very little meat (although I do love eggs and fish). Holidays have been brutal, though, and I can feel my butt/waistline expanding as I sit here.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am good at taking suggestions and love being supportive. I was a company leader for the American Heart Association Heartwalk for my college, and love being part of a team. I do admit, though, I'm not sure how all this is going to work with my speech coaching and all, but I'm committed.

WHY I WANT TO JOIN YOUR GROUP: Looks like a fun, highly motivated group with a lot of variety. Reading all the posts was so inspiring and fun, and I'm hoping to bring some of my own magic to the Mys-tri Tour!!
2012-01-01 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3964899

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

lmo123 - 2012-01-01 12:58 PM Happy New Year!! I hope it's not too late to join your group. I started reading all the posts yesterday, got distracted by surprise visitors, and just had a chance to return to find out if there's still room. I hope there is, as I'm trying to FINALLY realize a ten year dream of doing a triathalon. Why ten years with no action? To find out why, read on. NAME: Lauren (lmo123) STORY: Like Cheri, I have always been an athletic wannbe. I always thought being an athlete meant you had to be on an organized team, but after going on a canoe trip and climbing to the top of the canoe carrier to hoist up a canoe, I was asked if I did rock climbing. I said, "No. Why would you think that?" The reply, "Well, you're very athletic." At that point, I decided I AM an athlete!! Ever since I was a kid, I've swam, biked, walked/run, done aerobic/cardio work, weightlifted, ice-skated, hiked, and done yoga, but I have never done any kind of race or competitive athletic event. However, after walking in the 2-day, 39 mile Avon Breast Cancer at the request of a friend who wanted a partner (and who's 60), I found I was not only capable of doing a distance event, but I LOVED it - the training, the camraderie, the challenge. So, I decided it was time to STOP letting my fear prevent me from challenging myself and realize my dream of doing a triathalon. Thus, I am the newest of newbies!! FAMILY STATUS: 46 (will be 47 on the 27th of this month); happily married to DH for 6 years; no biological kids, but lots of so-called "adoptees" from years of coaching high school and college Forensics (speech and debate) teams. Both my husband and I are community college professors of speech communication in the Chicago suburbs and Directors of Forensics programs at our respective schools. CURRENT TRAINING: Been slacking a bit since October when colder weather and speech season kicked in, but have continued yoga twice a week, some cardio (spinning, walking, cardio-kickboxing, cardio-strenth integration). Prior to that, I was walking/biking 4-5 times a week (distances varied); Cardio-Strength integration class and spinning 1-2 times a week; yoga 1-2 times a week; little swimming. Even now, I exercise in some form 3-4 days a week, but I need to get on a regular regimen. I really need and like a plan, so whatever suggestions you make for a place to start will be helpful. 2012: Not yet decided, but will be looking to do first tri in May/June. There are some women at my college that do triathalons, so I'm hoping some of them will suggest one to start (and maybe join me). WEIGHTLOSS: I'm fortunate in this is not much of an issue for me. I eat lots of fresh fruits/veggies (yeah for the Kirkland veggie tray; I will eat ALL the broccoli), very little meat (although I do love eggs and fish). Holidays have been brutal, though, and I can feel my butt/waistline expanding as I sit here. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am good at taking suggestions and love being supportive. I was a company leader for the American Heart Association Heartwalk for my college, and love being part of a team. I do admit, though, I'm not sure how all this is going to work with my speech coaching and all, but I'm committed. WHY I WANT TO JOIN YOUR GROUP: Looks like a fun, highly motivated group with a lot of variety. Reading all the posts was so inspiring and fun, and I'm hoping to bring some of my own magic to the Mys-tri Tour!!

Lauren  You are IN!!!!

Nice to meet you,  I'm Dave.    Yep we were watching you lurk, and go this way and that,  knowing that the Kirkland Broccoli would eventually lure you in to join us.    We were just waiting for you to hop on our Epic Magical Myst-tri tour       Its great to have you here.

This makes the group:

Quincy, Dave, Shelly, Cheri, Ted, Tom, Michel, Wendy, Trei,, Matt, Mark, Jacki, Sean, Yvonne, Kent, Pete and Lauren

We can take ONE more  before we this tour gets started.     Shelly has already gotten started, and has already raced a 5K this year!    AWESOME BTW!       C'mon who ever will be the lucky one to get the last available spot to join all of us beautiful people! 

2012-01-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3964814

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-01 11:45 AM
oriolepwr - 2011-12-31 6:37 PM

Dave

That's an awesome resolution. I really need to run more so I'm thinking one of my resolutions will include running. I don't think I could realistically run ever day so I'm thinking mine will be to run at least 2-3 x's / week. We'll have to hold each other accountable- lol.

Shelly

Shelly

THX     That would be great!   I will be checking your logs  and please check mine.   For now  we all have to catch up to you!  Already have done a 5K and all.   Nice work!  You have to be really stoked running the whole way!   SO what is NOT fun about that??

I'm not having cabbage and peas today though......   HOT WINGS and beer!   I'm still celebrating tonight and tomorrow night.   Then I will flip the switch.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-01 2:37 PM
2012-01-01 3:31 PM

Rochester
Dave, No it wasn't a typo it was 2011 that I was diagnosed. I have worked hard at the food aspect of my life. I use to have some type of baked good everyday, candy, chips and God knows what else going into my body. Now, I do miss my baked goods to be totally honest but I look at it as a sacrifice to stay healthy. Occasionally I do have a little something, but not like I did. I was started on Onglyza, sp?, back in Octnand recently at a checkup I asked about getting off it. Unfortunately the doc feels it is better if I stay on it no matter what, so I focus on keeping my sugars at a good level and not have another pill added to everything. The bike...yes it is a road bike. I couldn't get one of the ones I wanted due to price but got a Vilano off of roadbikeoutlet.com for under 300. I figured it is a starting point for me. Going to put it together myself, I believe in torturing myself I guess. I want to do some tri's, planning on doing a run, bike, run in April. The mileage is 5k, 20 mile ride, 5k. Also have a 40 mile ride that I signed up for in June for ADA, tour de cure. Going to need a lot of help for this. Thanks for letting me in!Pete

2012-01-01 4:17 PM

This seems like this could very well be a good group for me.

NAME: Mark Whittaker 

STORY: Essentially I am a big fat dude who realized that I'm gonna die if I don't do something.  So I started doing stuff, and started running.  My initial goal was to try to run a mile, and then that graduated to a 5k, that then graduated to 5 miles, that then graduated to a half marathon.  That's where I stalled out.  I work out fairly consistently, however, I do not have a plan per se.  I am looking to learn what needs to happen that I could do a half ironman in a few years, while losing weight.

FAMILY STATUS:  I am well married, and have 2 kids with none of them understanding why it is that I am driven to do what I do, but they don't realize it is for them in the long run...  At any rate, my family pretty much is my anchor and motivation for just about everything.

CURRENT TRAINING: I go to the Y 5 days a week, I swim a couple of miles a week, and I do spin classes 3 times a week, and run when ever I can and lift weights.  None of my training is orgaized, and I would look to have soem goals set so that I know where I need to be to do what I want to do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This past year I banged up my ankle pretty good training for a half marathon that took me out of the few races that I had planned on doing.  The fact is that the only race I actrually ran this year was a local 5k.  So hopefully 2012 will get me back on trak with some larger better stronger races. 

2012 RACES: I would love to get in on some races this year.  I am in teh Boston, MA area, and I am looking at doing one or more sprint trainthlons, and some other ones while I am at it.  I would love to get to an international distance traithlon this year as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: Well I started my journey at 350+ 2 years ago.  I have been as low as 295, but now I find myself back around 320 or so.  Ideally I would like to drop 100 pounds this year, but realistically, i would be thrilled with getting under 300 and staying there...  If you are curious, I was about 320 when I ran the half marathon.

I look forward to some info exchange and getting to understand and grow and accomplishing my goals this year.

THanks

Mark W.

2012-01-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3965147

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-01 4:17 PM

This seems like this could very well be a good group for me.

NAME: Mark Whittaker 

STORY: Essentially I am a big fat dude who realized that I'm gonna die if I don't do something.  So I started doing stuff, and started running.  My initial goal was to try to run a mile, and then that graduated to a 5k, that then graduated to 5 miles, that then graduated to a half marathon.  That's where I stalled out.  I work out fairly consistently, however, I do not have a plan per se.  I am looking to learn what needs to happen that I could do a half ironman in a few years, while losing weight.

FAMILY STATUS:  I am well married, and have 2 kids with none of them understanding why it is that I am driven to do what I do, but they don't realize it is for them in the long run...  At any rate, my family pretty much is my anchor and motivation for just about everything.

CURRENT TRAINING: I go to the Y 5 days a week, I swim a couple of miles a week, and I do spin classes 3 times a week, and run when ever I can and lift weights.  None of my training is orgaized, and I would look to have soem goals set so that I know where I need to be to do what I want to do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This past year I banged up my ankle pretty good training for a half marathon that took me out of the few races that I had planned on doing.  The fact is that the only race I actrually ran this year was a local 5k.  So hopefully 2012 will get me back on trak with some larger better stronger races. 

2012 RACES: I would love to get in on some races this year.  I am in teh Boston, MA area, and I am looking at doing one or more sprint trainthlons, and some other ones while I am at it.  I would love to get to an international distance traithlon this year as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: Well I started my journey at 350+ 2 years ago.  I have been as low as 295, but now I find myself back around 320 or so.  Ideally I would like to drop 100 pounds this year, but realistically, i would be thrilled with getting under 300 and staying there...  If you are curious, I was about 320 when I ran the half marathon.

I look forward to some info exchange and getting to understand and grow and accomplishing my goals this year.

THanks

Mark W.

Welcome Mark!!! You grabbed the final spot in the group! . what a great thing you are doing for your family! And yourself. Please make it a goal. To log all of your training. If you have questions. Just be sure to ask.I'm Dave
2012-01-01 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Happy New Year!

The Magical Mys-tri Tour has officially begun!

Dave, thanks for keeping track of everything! After an oh-dark-thirty reveille we arrived 14 hours later at my Uncle's farm in Paso Robles just in time to tear into NYE celebrations. It was pretty epic...and by epic I mean we burned furniture. It was awesome.

My family is huge into cycling (my uncle is one of the top ranked over 60 crit riders in the US!!!) so they brought loaner bikes and gear and today they all went for a New Year's ride!

I was insanely jealous, but my uncle even brought a bike and trainer for me which we set up on the patio at my Mom's house and I got my first workout post-surgery.

What a way to start the New Year!

I hope all of you are feeling as optimistic and excited as I am about this group, our new endeavors, and the New Year. Here's to 2012 filled with new friends, fulfilled goals, and a bunch of bright, shiny PR's (especially for you, Dave!)...

I'll try to catch up with the new peeps as I can grab a few moments of computer time here and there. Meanwhile I'd love to hear if anyone else got a workout today...

Cheers,

Q

2012-01-01 7:51 PM

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Mark, Quincy, Shelly, Cheri, Ted, Tom, Michel, Wendy, Trei, Matt, Mark, Jacki, Sean, Yvonne, Kent and Lauren,

Great to have all of you on the team. Being new to this I will have a ton of questions throughout this process. I am excited to learn something new and HEALTHY! If you need anything from me please feel free to ask. We are all here to support one another through this endeavor.

Pete

2012-01-01 7:55 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
I got a 6.5mile run in today. Good tempo but got bored to tears on the treadmill. Anyone else get bored with treadmills?Pool time planned for tomorrow.

Edited by mjh1975 2012-01-01 7:58 PM

2012-01-01 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3964838

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-01 12:03 PM

Happy New Years to all you guys. Started off the year with a 5k fun run with dh this am. Can't say there was anything fun about it- haha. I did actually jog the entire distance which is a first for me so that was exciting. And we did it with an avg 11:47/mi which is another first time for me. I usually jog a 12:45 min/mi. The biggest problem was that dh's new Garmin said we only went 2.99miles instead of 3.1mi. I don't think I like that stupid watch Wink.

Hope everyone has a great day. Don't forget to eat your cabbage and black eyed peas!

Shelly

GREAT JOB SHELLY!!
2012-01-01 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3964838

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-01 12:03 PM

Shelly

GREAT JOB SHELLY!!Nothing like a double post to start the year off..:-)

Edited by mjh1975 2012-01-01 8:01 PM
2012-01-01 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3963885

User image

Veteran

AND THE BEST PART!  When WE all get through this, we can safely say:

I'M NOT DEAD YET!

2012-01-01 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3963644

User image

Veteran

Great, thanks for the info.  Running shoes it is.  And I agree with everything you said about my other sneakers.  They do feel hot after awhile of wearing them.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44