BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-12-25 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3942453

User image

Veteran
Overland Park
Subject: RE: SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED
No running for me this pas week took it off since I was running solid for the last 5 weeks. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow again!!!

2011-12-25 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
My in laws bought my entry to IM KY. I have awesome in laws.
2011-12-25 8:17 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Cool!  In the past I would have got a stocking full of chocolate but this year it was filled with Powerbar gels! 

Hope everyone is having a great holiday!

2011-12-25 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Mum gave me $200 to pay off my new bike as well as a couple of new running tops, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, enjoy the rest of your holiday season!

Simone :-)

2011-12-26 7:50 AM

New user
Swansea, IL

Gang:

I'm looking for a first time wetsuit which won't break the bank.  I've read some of the threads on BT discussing this topic but wanted to get the collective wisdom of my new "training group."  Give me details including brand, full sleeve v. sleeveless, price, upside/downside, etc.

Going to run half mile repeats on the local high school track plus bleachers this morning then long ride on the trainer tonite in front of the tv.

Joe

2011-12-26 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3953802

Kenosha

Joe,

I haven't used it yet and am a complete TRI noob, however here is what I've purchased.  An Xterra Vortex4 full suit for $165 during a fall11 sale where the discount code was FALL11.  Xterra always has sales on their suits as they are trying to put more suits on starting line of major races then all the competition.  I believe it's probably an average entry level suit that will suit (no pun intended) me fine for the next few years.  I understand that as all things in life, when you spend more you usually get more.

Full suit came at the recommendation of a friend who has been doing TRI here in the upper midwest for the past four years and says the extra warmth has been appreciated on many cool swims.  I was concerned about arm restriction (range of motion or just extra effort) due to the full sleeves and was assured that once the suit is on completely and fits well that any restriction is negligible.  At my level in the sport I opted for the most comfort and expected performance I could afford.

Coupon code BT makes a $400 Xterra cost only $189.  Seems like a good deal to me but again I'm very new at all this.  Someone else may chime in with better advice.

Regards,

John

Edited by John_S 2011-12-26 8:38 AM

2011-12-26 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3953817

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
X2 on the XTERRA. I have the Vortex, reg price $400, but you can get at $200 or less with coupon codes, etc. XTERRA also has frequent half off sales and free shipping. Go with the full sleeve. You'll get the extra bouyancy plus a little extra pull in your stroke. Tri wetsuits are made with special panels in the shoulders for more flexibility. Also, you never know when you are going to be doing a cold water event, needing long sleeves. If you plan on only swimming warm water and you are a hot natured sort, then you may want to consider a 'farmer john' type suit. I did IMCDA with my suit (water temp. 56), and I've done a couple of HIM where the water temp was marginal wetsuit cutoff, and both were not a problem with this suit.
2011-12-26 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

2 of the 7 deadly sins definitely well in place these last two days (gluttony and sloth), but will get back into the swing of things this week. Santa was good, bringing me a new Park Tool bike repair stand. I'm ready to do some serious wrenching on my bike now without the low back pain from stooping over it trying to change out a rear cassette or adjust a derailleur. This has been a recovery week of sorts I guess, much needed though. Looking to make some nice gains in my workouts now, and adding in some strength training to go along with it. Hope the holidays have been good to everybody.

Here's an article/blog post I wrote last summer on bike wheels/tires. Let me know what you think.

http://iamtri.com/profiles/blogs/how-do-race-wheels-and-tire-effect-your-triathlon-race

Roger

2011-12-26 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas
I have an Orca S1, its their basic entry level suit, I was lucky and found someone getting out of tri and bought theirs for $75, they only used it 1 time, i dont plan to any really cold swims but i have it if necessary, i know i was surprised at how much motion you have with it on!

Edited by PhilipRay 2011-12-26 10:54 AM
2011-12-26 12:50 PM

User image

Regular

Wow, Jaelin, you got a lot of good stuff! And the rest of you too, it sounds like. I asked for a transition bag but my husband must have not understood.

Santa, however, did bring me a TRX type of workout thing. It is a Rip 60 or something like that. It is a suspension thing you can use for workouts and comes with DVDs ets. (me, being Santa in this house for many years, bought it for myself, oh, uh and my husband).

I am interested in hearing about the wetsuit advice. The main thing for me is OWS training, because that will be early spring and the water will be COLD. I have not liked being in a wetsuit at all, I feel claustrophobic and got too hot, felt like I was choking, and this was in a vortex sleeveless. I will need a long sleeve for training I think. But I won't wear one for races unless I have to for warmth. Unless I find in training they help. 

Roger, I will read your article probably later tonight. I am winding down for bed. I work 1 am to 9 am. If it is not too busy that is when I will be posting here, or when I get home and am in bed winding down, about 1000.

Just got back from a wonderful run on the trail and feel so good. I love running. Everything was frosted over and no leaves on the trees. Love the seasons but would move where it is warm all the time in an instant. We do have a long winter ahead of us as Roger said and I glad to have all of you to keep me motivated!

Thanks for listening!

Jan

2011-12-26 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Merry Christmas!  Now, time to hit the asphalt again!  I got some cold weather running and cycling gear under the tree and tried some out this morning.  

I'm thinking about renting a wet suit or two and trying them out.  My first Tri of 2012 is a sprint in April and the swim is indoors.  I would look kind of stupid in a wet suit!  

I'm wanting to compete in the 2013 Corpus Christi HIM 70.3.  It's an open water ocean swim in February so I'll need something and be use to before then.

Edit: Nice Jan!  Another shift worker that runs when they get home!

Edit2: Good article Roger.  That will be my first upgrade, probably next year though.  

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2011-12-26 1:07 PM

2011-12-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3953802

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
I have a sleveless that is abot 3 years old..Can't remember the brand, but it works fine. I also bought the Xterra entry level full wetsuit last year and used it in a sprint and IMFL. I like the full because it had a little extra float in the arms. Although some people fill constrained, I did not. I am a pretty weak swimmer, but for the price, it did what i wanted it to do. It gets me from out and back.
2011-12-26 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Great article Roger, I will definitely look at getting some race wheels before I do any endurance events. Just wish I could buy some race "feet" to improve my run!

Great feedback on the wetsuits too, I don't own one as yet either, but will be looking to get one as soon as I start doing open water swims. Ocean swims I can handle, but some of the local tris around here do river swims and even in 40degC heat the water is still freezing cold.

I wish I could throw some heat up north for you guys and gals, we've been forcast for 40degC on New Year's Eve, could be a good day for a long pool session I think.

2011-12-26 11:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hey everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas. Looks like a few people got some cool stuff from Santa.

I got in a long ride on Christmas even and a long run Christmas morning which I was happy about. This week is my recovery week. I did my LT bike test today for the first time this season. I think my zones have been a little bit out of whack coz I've been using MHR so far. Hopefully this proves to be a little better. I will be doing my run LT test on Thursday for the same reason.

Does anyone know how to make one of those little table things that we can all paste into our training blog so we can get easy access to each other's blogs to do inspires and that sort of thing? I'd do it, but I have no idea how.
2011-12-27 1:55 AM
in reply to: #3954707

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas
stuart_little_9 - 2011-12-26 11:42 PMHey everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas. Looks like a few people got some cool stuff from Santa.I got in a long ride on Christmas even and a long run Christmas morning which I was happy about. This week is my recovery week. I did my LT bike test today for the first time this season. I think my zones have been a little bit out of whack coz I've been using MHR so far. Hopefully this proves to be a little better. I will be doing my run LT test on Thursday for the same reason.Does anyone know how to make one of those little table things that we can all paste into our training blog so we can get easy access to each other's blogs to do inspires and that sort of thing? I'd do it, but I have no idea how.
Whats LT? While your at it whats interval training? How is it done on the bike and run, what is the purpose of it?Thanks in advance!
2011-12-27 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3953876

New user
Swansea, IL
Roger, just read your blog entry regarding race wheels and tires.  I had never broken it down that precisely and, to be honest, had read/been told by others that there was not a significant difference given the costs involved.  Setting aside the costs for a moment, your analysis clearly illustrates the significant differences even at Oly distances.  If one is competitive at their distance, the only real question is whether it is worth the investment.  How much did yours cost?  New?  Used?

2011-12-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3955322

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
A decent set will cost >$1,000 new. If you get some time look up some articles on rolling resistance, and rotational weight. You also have to take into account aero on wheels, (ie. rear discs) Cost/benefit is really up to you. I bought mine two years ago at a cost of $1200. Mavic Cosmic Carbones, with Vredenstein tri comp tires about $60/tire. Noticeable difference while riding as stated in the article.
2011-12-27 11:50 AM

User image

Regular

Great article, Roger! I am so impressed and I feel so fortunate to have you for a mentor. I have never really thought about tires/wheels beyond what came on my road bike. This is good information. I am really quite ignorant when it comes to my bike. I went to a good bike store with my husband and we picked out a good road bike with an upgraded cassette-I have no idea what makes it "upgraded" except more expensive. I also have 3 wheels-rings? in the front. My bike is faster than I am. It wants to fly! I am not kidding. I get a little scared by the speed even, although I am getting used to it. It is a Trek Madone-woman specific. Never have been sore once at all, even did Cycle Oregon on it-40-100 miles a day and unbelievable climbs-7 straight days of cycling bliss/torture. Never did get sore in the seat. And I was flying past people. Even had some kind of what do you call it-draft group or whatever ask me to join them. It is the bike. But probably, since I am new, should wait a bit on new tires, I guess.

Any ideas on my wetsuit problems? I feel like I am choking because of the neckline and I feel like I have to work to expand my rib cage. I felt panicky in it. This was during practice OWS last spring and in the pool. I did not end up wearing it in the race and they also announced not wetsuit legal at the last minute. I was not going to wear it anyway. I am sure I will need to wear one and a long sleeve one if it is cold.

Yes, Monty. Shift worker here. Hard to get workouts in sometimes. It is cold, windy and a bit icy this morning so I let my sleepy head go to bed, will see about workout later when I get up. Good night all, have a great day and great workouts!

Jan

2011-12-27 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just registered for a 5k the night of news years eve. first real foot race. setting easy goals ;p I want to go sub 25minutes
2011-12-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3955365

New user
Swansea, IL

I need to wait until I get a bit more competitive within my age group before I upgrade wheels.  Good points made in the article. 

Jaelin -

Good luck in your 5K.  I've been running them for years and have never broken 25 minutes.  I'm envious...

2011-12-27 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Glad everyone had a good and apparently lucrative holiday.  I am about maxed out on family time, so training will commence again.  Santa brought me mucho!!!  IMKS race entry, full sleeve 2XU wetsuit, ISM Adamo Race saddle, Aero Bottle for the bike, tons of gels, and training gear.  I must have been a good boy!

2011-12-27 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

My wetsuit advice:  rent one before you buy it, in regards to sleeveless vs full sleeve.  Both offer great advantages in buoyancy, but some full sleeve suits will restrict the range of motion at the shoulder (which is why many people swear by sleeveless).  I prefer the full sleeve for the additional warmth and buoyancy, but that's just me...

I have rented from a great company called Wetsuitrentals.com.  I rented a suit for my first tri last year, and they applied the rental cost to the price of the suit I just purchased.  In a way, it's similar to a rent-to-own program.  I ended up buying the same suit I rented, mainly because I had a great experience with the suit and the company.

2011-12-27 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park
Ok I got a ? for the group? I am new to triathlon and I have no gear so what are the basics that I need to compete in the triathlon. Like a list of gear?
2011-12-27 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3954735

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
PhilipRay - 2011-12-27 5:55 PM

stuart_little_9 - 2011-12-26 11:42 PMHey everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas. Looks like a few people got some cool stuff from Santa.I got in a long ride on Christmas even and a long run Christmas morning which I was happy about. This week is my recovery week. I did my LT bike test today for the first time this season. I think my zones have been a little bit out of whack coz I've been using MHR so far. Hopefully this proves to be a little better. I will be doing my run LT test on Thursday for the same reason.Does anyone know how to make one of those little table things that we can all paste into our training blog so we can get easy access to each other's blogs to do inspires and that sort of thing? I'd do it, but I have no idea how.
Whats LT? While your at it whats interval training? How is it done on the bike and run, what is the purpose of it?Thanks in advance!

LT stands for Lactate Threshold.
You know how when you exercise at a high intensity you get a burning feeling in your muscles - that is due to lactic acid building up. The lactate threshold is the maximum intensity (read heart rate) that you can work at at this level.

Check out Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training bible (awesome book by they way) for more details on the test. You need a heart rate monitor and you need to be well rested (ie do the test towards the end of your recovery week), and you need to be willing to suffer - it is a hard, maximal test and it burns! (good burn though
Essentially you run/ride as hard as possible for 30 mins, taking your average heart rate for the last 20 mins as your lactate threshold heart rate. It is not perfect, but cheaper and easier than a lab test.

What this then allows you to do is set up training zones (1=easy/recovery, 5=full on hard effort/sprinting) to better tailor your training. These zones are bettter and more accurate than just using the maximum heart rate or rating of perceived exertion (RPE) method of training.

If you are a beginner, then using the max heart rate method or RPE is fine, but if you really want to take your training to the next level, then this is invaluble.

Interval training allows you to work at a higher intensity (ie closer to race intensity), but for a shorter period (eg 3 repeats of 7 minute intervals in zone 4) than doing a whole block (ie 21 minutes in zone 4). Even though it is the same time, the interval allows you to adapt better as the intensity will remain high the whole time. 21 minutes is a long block in zone 4, and would be very difficult.

Long blocks are good for building endurance if they are done at a low-ish intensity (zone 2). Again, for novices, long blocks are fine to build endurance, but after a year or 2 in the sport, you will have to incorporate some higher intensity work to develp further as an athlete.

I know that was a long post, but I hope it clarified it for you.
2011-12-27 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Got a question for the other ladies in the group. What do you prefer to race in? A one piece trisuit? Or tri shorts and a tri top? This is probably going to seem silly, but with my first race coming up I am more nervous about what I am going to wear, rather than how I am going to do. I am still about 50 pounds overweight (it is coming off ever so slowly!), and having always been slim and athletic up until a few years ago, I feel very self conscious at the moment, to the point where this morning I almost talked myself into forgetting about racing until the next season (which is around Sept here in Australia). I've been scouring the net for a one piece tri suit but they are so expensive and I dont want to buy one that I am only going to use for a couple of races, cause next season I plan on being back to my normal weight. Any ideas?

BTW Jaelin, good luck with the 5k race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24