BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-12-31 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3963381

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- OPEN
Where is this BarryP run plan you speak of? I've heard a lot of good things about it

2011-12-31 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

Got another friends wedding invite yesterday in the mail. Now my summer looks like this

June 19-25: Friend's wedding in Jamaica

July 28th: If I don't go to Jamaica this is the make-up-good-as-a-friend-date.

August 4: Best friend from college wedding/Close friend from college wedding as well-50 miles apart

August 19th: Sister's wedding, standing up, no or very little training

August 26th: GF is maid-of-honor in her best friends wedding

September 9th IMWI

My coach is going to love it in these months when I let him know what my non-triathlon plans are. Should be an interesting build into IMWI.

2011-12-31 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3963401

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
bcagle25 - 2011-12-31 6:40 AM

Got another friends wedding invite yesterday in the mail. Now my summer looks like this

June 19-25: Friend's wedding in Jamaica

July 28th: If I don't go to Jamaica this is the make-up-good-as-a-friend-date.

August 4: Best friend from college wedding/Close friend from college wedding as well-50 miles apart

August 19th: Sister's wedding, standing up, no or very little training

August 26th: GF is maid-of-honor in her best friends wedding

September 9th IMWI

My coach is going to love it in these months when I let him know what my non-triathlon plans are. Should be an interesting build into IMWI.

When I was your age I went to 7 weddings in one year!  Just wait till the baby showers and kids birthday's start.  It seems every single Saturday we have a kids thing to go to.

I did my long run this morn.  11:17 miles.  I wasn't sure if I should go as I've been so tired from my trip to Maine and been eating like crap.  It was quite eventful.  Had to puke a couple times from heartburn (I have very bad stomach problems, Ingesta-this and Itis-that )  Some how I pushed through for a great run.  Kept it at 8:45 pace and last mile sub 8 just like planned!  Just one of those days.

2011-12-31 7:43 PM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)

I've felt so guilty for the past couple of days I've just been kinda sitting around at my desk doing some work stuffs and not exercising X( ugh so ashamed.. oh well hopefully I'll have enough self will to get out of the rack and head out on the road for a quick morning run. Kudos to all who have been good and exercising! You inspire me to get motivated and do better Happy New Year! *<|:D

2012-01-01 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Me and some friends are swimming a 100x100 swim set tomorrow to ring in the new year, I will report back on this. Also taking my new GoPro cam so hopefully I will be able to edit it down into a nice little short clip of highlights of our suffering!
2012-01-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3964707

User image

South Florida
Happy New Gang! I was able to knock out a short run yesterday. Back in the saddle tomorrow morning for a nice brick. The race wheels are off and it's back to training.

2012-01-01 11:50 AM

User image

Evansville, IN
Happy New Year! 2011 was pretty good but I'm taking control in 2012. Started off the year with 5 mile run. That's far for me so I was proud. The temp dropped quite a bit and the wind was killer but I ran it. Now it's time to kick back and watch a little football.
2012-01-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3964823

User image

South Florida

Almost forgot! My wife said to me last night she wants to run a 5k this year. Problem is she has bad asthma. She does a little big of yoga/pilates and is in good shape, it's just her asthma that's holding her back. Any one have experience in training with asthma? Im trying to ease her into the distance and just get use to running.

I'm just super excited i get to have someone to run with. No offense Eli, but my wife is a bit prettier than you!

2012-01-01 7:30 PM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
Actually got up and went to run this morning Only a 3 miler, but it's better than nothing i guess. It was a little rough but I got through it. Going to run with Seville Quarter Milers tomorrow so hopefully I'll get my running mojo back by then. On a non exercise note.. the Saints won today! Woot! Laughing
2012-01-01 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3964823

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

neumann_jc - 2012-01-01 9:50 AM Happy New Year! 2011 was pretty good but I'm taking control in 2012. Started off the year with 5 mile run. That's far for me so I was proud. The temp dropped quite a bit and the wind was killer but I ran it. Now it's time to kick back and watch a little football.

Great job on the long one!  Way to get out today...

2012-01-01 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3965421

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

swim_turtle28 - 2012-01-01 5:30 PM Actually got up and went to run this morning Only a 3 miler, but it's better than nothing i guess. It was a little rough but I got through it. Going to run with Seville Quarter Milers tomorrow so hopefully I'll get my running mojo back by then. On a non exercise note.. the Saints won today! Woot! Laughing

Great job as well.  I wouldn't say ONLY 3 miles!  3 miles is far better than nothing   Keep it up!Cool Perfect start to the year...

2012-01-01 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

I wanted to post my number for the year.  2011 was my first year training in all 3 sports.  2010 consisted of running about 1000 miles with very little cross training.

Here's 2011:

Bike: 135h 28m 40s - 2892.87 Mi
Run: 126h 16m 50s - 902.9 Mi
Swim: 33h 09m 27s - 93374.68 Yd
Strength: 9h 50m

I'm very proud of these numbers and hope to improve this year!  Happy New Year...

2012-01-01 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Hey guys, any room for another?

I am Mitch's training partner Jim!

NAME: Jim 46

STORY: Been doing triathlons for almost 20 years. Was a bodybuilder before I started doing triathlons. Got into triathlons only because I wanted to do Ironman,  no other distance really got me pumped! The last 10 years I have dealt with several significant injuries and as a result I put on a lot of weight, at one time I was almost 320! Mitch and I committed to doing Vineman last year and I knew I wasn't close to being ready for it but also knew I had to get my training back on track! Last year was an amazing journey, Mitch and I would rotate going to each others house to train! We live about 100 miles apart! I fell a little short during Ironman and did not finish the Marathon!

Family Status: Married with 2 kids, ages 11 (son) and 8 (daughter).

CURRENT TRAINING: I love putting in the miles!! I usually swim 2-3 day, ride 3 days and run 3 days a week! I am also weight training 3 days a week.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Vineman , then Long Beach Half

2012 RACES: I want to do a lot more races in 2012! Doing Oceanside 70.3 in March and hopefully another half before doing Vineman Full.

WEIGHT LOSS: My #1 goal for 2012 is to get my weight under 200lbs, right now I'm back to about 275! I will keep everyone updated on my progress!

2012-01-02 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I'm going to start Jorge M 16wk Cycling Plan. I heard it's brutal but has good rewards. Any suggestions on when to start it? Have a couple sprints planned for May and June but my 'A' race is my HIM in August. If I start the plan now I will be finished in the beginning of April and don't want to 'peak' too early. Also in April I plan on starting the beginner's 20wk HIM training plan from this site. Should I start the cycling plan now or do both plans at the same time?
2012-01-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3964859

User image

Master
nvalaitis - 2012-01-01 12:26 PM

I'm just super excited i get to have someone to run with. No offense Eli, but my wife is a bit prettier than you!

Story of my life!

2012-01-02 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3965471

User image

Master
ironjim - 2012-01-01 7:55 PM

Hey guys, any room for another?

I am Mitch's training partner Jim!

NAME: Jim 46

Jim, sure, welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us.

Sorry to hear about your challenges, but it sounds like you have a good plan to get back in shape.

2012-01-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3965421

User image

Master

swim_turtle28 - 2012-01-01 7:30 PM Actually got up and went to run this morning Only a 3 miler, but it's better than nothing i guess. It was a little rough but I got through it. Going to run with Seville Quarter Milers tomorrow so hopefully I'll get my running mojo back by then. On a non exercise note.. the Saints won today! Woot! Laughing

I agree, getting out there at all is great. Doesn't matter how far, or how long, just that you did something healthy.

2012-01-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3965875

User image

Master

jpfeife - 2012-01-02 7:09 AM I'm going to start Jorge M 16wk Cycling Plan. I heard it's brutal but has good rewards. Any suggestions on when to start it? Have a couple sprints planned for May and June but my 'A' race is my HIM in August. If I start the plan now I will be finished in the beginning of April and don't want to 'peak' too early. Also in April I plan on starting the beginner's 20wk HIM training plan from this site. Should I start the cycling plan now or do both plans at the same time?

I think that you can start anytime. I haven't looked at the plan, but I think it is just for cycling. This would mean you would have to modify it to do all 3 sports.

If you start now, even though you finish in April, the gains can probably be maintained for months.

2012-01-02 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3962810

User image

Master
neumann_jc - 2011-12-30 6:52 PM

I am still learning how to navigate this site. Can anyone tell me how to add you all as friends? I also need to figure out how to make full use of this site but I guess that will come with time.

Training wise I've had a pretty good week. I don't have a bike yet so I have been going to a spin class for the last few weeks. I never knew that was as tough as it is or that my it would hurt my butt as bad as it did. I spent several hours spinning and hit the road quite a few times as well. I can't run far yet but I am working on it. Next week we really ramp it up. I am starting a swim class so I can learn how to lap swim. I was always more of a swim for survival kind of guy not for fun. We also have a tri training class beginning Wed. morning. I'm sure I will post how it all goes and with questions.

Speaking of questions I do have one. What is a good bike to buy as a starter? I went to the LBS and I don't have thousands to drop on one. I did find out I need a 58cm frame so that narrowed my craigslist searches down but I don't really know one from another as far as what to look for. Any advise is welcome. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Newman, I usually keep once window open with the friends list and then open up the group as a tab and scroll through to add everyone's handle.

As for the bike, sounds like you got good advice. I did most of my first 3 seasons on a hyrid fitness bike with flat bars. I would avoid the 150.00 special from walmart/target though, as these are heavy and rarely have standard parts.

Craigslist is good. Another good option is to start hanging out at some of the local bike shops and tell them you are interested in buying a used bike for x amount. Often people will sell through a shop, or at least let a shop know when they are looking to sell. The shop may help especially if they know they will get your business in the future for upgrades, tuneups, gear, etc.

You will probably have to spend 800.00 to 1000.00 to get a basic road bike.

2012-01-02 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3965438

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-01 7:39 PM

I wanted to post my number for the year.  2011 was my first year training in all 3 sports.  2010 consisted of running about 1000 miles with very little cross training.

Here's 2011:

Bike: 135h 28m 40s - 2892.87 Mi
Run: 126h 16m 50s - 902.9 Mi
Swim: 33h 09m 27s - 93374.68 Yd
Strength: 9h 50m

I'm very proud of these numbers and hope to improve this year!  Happy New Year...

Wow, great numbers. Here are mine

Bike:173h 41m 08s  - 2961.82 Mi
Run:126h 36m 34s  - 747.6 Mi
Swim:21h 48m 20s  - 70559.84 Yd
Strength:17h 43m

I ran about 100 miles less than last year, but improved in just about all of my races.

Looking forward to this year though, I have some great plans, so I hope I stay healthy.

2012-01-02 8:05 AM

User image

Master

Hey All!

Happy New Year. I am back from my island adventure.

Amazing to spend a day watching people run. The weather was amazing, and the runners were motivating. I spent most of my time supporting the runners, and I think i actually slept less than many of them. I helped with setup, registration, cooking lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day.

I also managed to play with my daughter, make smores, and even ran from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Nothing like starting a run in one year an finishing in the next! The firework display went on so long I saw it on 3 of the laps (1.23 mile laps).

Now back at home, catching up on sleep and having good food.

Watching the runners, and feeding them, made me think again about nutrition, both in general, and for the race.

One of my biggest challenges is food, not just the quality, but quantity as well.

I am hoping to eat a little "cleaner" this year, and focus on less baked goods, which is probably my biggest issue (and maybe chocolate too).

If I can keep my fitness up and also manage to get below 200 lbs, Nick has NO CHANCE of catching me at the Intimidator! 

2012-01-02 12:34 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

Now I have a running question. I always seem to get really bad pain when I run. I have an area that swells about 4 inches above my ankle on the outside of my leg. It happens to both but it's more severe on my right side. I went and got fitted for a good pair of running shoes from a reputable running store. They looked at how I walk/run and noticed I supinate really bad. I bought the shoes they suggested and took them out. I went on a good run yesterday and did have some trouble but since I had plenty of time I would stop stretch and walk a bit if I had to. I am getting very frustrated because it happens EVERY time I run. If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this before please let me know.

2012-01-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3966415

User image

Wetumpka, AL
Shin splints?  I had / have a similar problem.  Rested it and found a neoprene brace thingy I wear on most long runs.  I have gone without it on short (3-5 mile) runs and but I always make sure to have it on long runs.  It may be a bit psychological at this point but I'm sticking with what works.  Oh, I also believe in ghosts, voodoo and Jimmy Buffett for President.  So take it with a shaker of salt.
2012-01-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3966415

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
neumann_jc - 2012-01-02 10:34 AM

Now I have a running question. I always seem to get really bad pain when I run. I have an area that swells about 4 inches above my ankle on the outside of my leg. It happens to both but it's more severe on my right side. I went and got fitted for a good pair of running shoes from a reputable running store. They looked at how I walk/run and noticed I supinate really bad. I bought the shoes they suggested and took them out. I went on a good run yesterday and did have some trouble but since I had plenty of time I would stop stretch and walk a bit if I had to. I am getting very frustrated because it happens EVERY time I run. If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this before please let me know.

OK, Have you looked into a more natural running technique?  I was a forced heal striker for years but I now run in "Newtons" and I run with a midfoot strike.  This is more of a natural stride that is much more effeicient and helps to promote injury free running.  I believe in natural running stride so much in fact that I am about to get certified as a natural running coach.  I got my uncle back running after many years.  He though he would never be able to run again because of his knees and shins.  I beg you to look into it.

Lean forward a bit, shorten your stride and land over your foot.  Hitting your midfoot first. Gravity almost pulls you forward. Since I've changed my stride I have broke every running PR that I had and have trained injury free for the last year.  You can look at the Newton Website for some good tips and videos.  Also look into your local running store.  There are a lot of free clinics these days.

Eli, I am thoroughly impressed with your selflessness.  Without the support of volunteers these races wouldn't work.  Great job.  And how cool to run into the new year. Love it!

Just did 4.5 miles on the treadmill then swam 1500 m continuous.  I really need  to get my but on my bike.  It's easy to stay in your comfort zone which for me is running and swimming.  Need to break out of that!

2012-01-02 1:21 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
That's what I thought at first but I've had those before and this is a different kind of pain. The running store people said its because I supinate really bad. I bought the shoes they suggested but it still swelled up really bad today. Frustrated is an understatement at this point.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16