BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-01-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3943815

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - CLOSED

I got back in the pool yesterday and this morning and did a little strength training.  My broken toe is healing quick.  I can finally put a shoe on.  I'm going to spin maybe tonight if the foot feels up to it, then back in the pool tomorrow.  Hopefully next week my foot will good enough to get in some serious bike miles.  We'll see.  I thought maybe I was going to be non running for at least 4-6 weeks, but I think maybe a bit sooner.

Everyone be safe and have fun out there!

2012-01-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3990400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

Sounds like fun....as a reminder, I have only been running.  Just got a bike two weeks ago....had not done any swimming (laps) in a very long time (since I was a kid!!).  Ran 21 Miles yesterday...a record for me......managed to get 1,000 done in the pool this morning (boy do I have work to do.....that is an entirely different kind of exhaustion, I think I need to learn to breath better while swimming.  I felt like I could not take in enough oxygen to keep up with what my body was using in the short moment you have to take in a breath.  Any advice?)

Came home from swimming and cranked out a little over an hour on the bike trainer.  Between yesterday and today I feel like I can have a few beers while I watch the Olympic Marathon Trials and then some football.  

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

EDIT:  Why do people wear compression sleeves on the run.  Noticed a few during the Olympic Marathon Trials.     And....is there a way to bookmark a thread (specifically this one) so I can get to it without searching?  

Swimming is a tough one to talk/type through.  When I started, I thought 50 yds would kill me and actually was afraid of my first real tri-swim.  I went through the teach yourself stuff, books, youtube, videos and got to where I could survive (~30 min for my first tri... Minneapolis Lifetime Oly)... that fall I went and had just lesson with a local coach with an above and below water video and he sent me out with just three things to work on.  I am completely comfortable in the water now, though not near the front of the pack, but low 20's for oly's, ~30 for HM and from 1:04-1:11 in Full's. (i've done one additional "tune up" video session since that first one)... 

Even starting with just a camera video of your swim stroke, there is a ton that people can point out.  But like the comment above, inefficient kicking, body position, hand entry, catch, pull, roll, head position, shoulder flexiblity, ankle flexibility, arm recovery, breathing, sighting.. it is a complex little bugger to beat into submission!  ;)

Edited by ball6135 2012-01-14 5:32 PM
2012-01-14 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3990516

User image

Greenville, SC
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-14 5:48 PM

I got back in the pool yesterday and this morning and did a little strength training.  My broken toe is healing quick.  I can finally put a shoe on.  I'm going to spin maybe tonight if the foot feels up to it, then back in the pool tomorrow.  Hopefully next week my foot will good enough to get in some serious bike miles.  We'll see.  I thought maybe I was going to be non running for at least 4-6 weeks, but I think maybe a bit sooner.

Everyone be safe and have fun out there!

Wishing you a quick recovery and positive vibes headed your way on a super fast recovery!!!  you will feel 10x better when you roll out of the rack tomorrow!  

2012-01-14 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3990466

User image

Greenville, SC
ewengler - 2012-01-14 5:10 PM

Ran 8 miles this AM in the dark to start and when the sun came up it started to snow and was about 14 degrees.  Got the cold weather clothing almost right--just cold cheeks. Yesterday did about 1500 yds in master swim and took a spin class. All good!

Here's a question--what's everyone's favorite post workout refuel?

I like bananas and choc milk or a clif mojo bar with choc and raisins.

14????  Thought I was an animal when I ran the other morning at it was 28.  You are awesome!!!   Regarding your other question....choc milk for sure.  preferably a smoothie with peanut butter, protein, and chocolate after a 2000+ calorie burning run! 

2012-01-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3990552

User image

Greenville, SC
ball6135 - 2012-01-14 6:30 PM

Sounds like fun....as a reminder, I have only been running.  Just got a bike two weeks ago....had not done any swimming (laps) in a very long time (since I was a kid!!).  Ran 21 Miles yesterday...a record for me......managed to get 1,000 done in the pool this morning (boy do I have work to do.....that is an entirely different kind of exhaustion, I think I need to learn to breath better while swimming.  I felt like I could not take in enough oxygen to keep up with what my body was using in the short moment you have to take in a breath.  Any advice?)

Came home from swimming and cranked out a little over an hour on the bike trainer.  Between yesterday and today I feel like I can have a few beers while I watch the Olympic Marathon Trials and then some football.  

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

EDIT:  Why do people wear compression sleeves on the run.  Noticed a few during the Olympic Marathon Trials.     And....is there a way to bookmark a thread (specifically this one) so I can get to it without searching?  

Swimming is a tough one to talk/type through.  When I started, I thought 50 yds would kill me and actually was afraid of my first real tri-swim.  I went through the teach yourself stuff, books, youtube, videos and got to where I could survive (~30 min for my first tri... Minneapolis Lifetime Oly)... that fall I went and had just lesson with a local coach with an above and below water video and he sent me out with just three things to work on.  I am completely comfortable in the water now, though not near the front of the pack, but low 20's for oly's, ~30 for HM and from 1:04-1:11 in Full's. (i've done one additional "tune up" video session since that first one)... 

Even starting with just a camera video of your swim stroke, there is a ton that people can point out.  But like the comment above, inefficient kicking, body position, hand entry, catch, pull, roll, head position, shoulder flexiblity, ankle flexibility, arm recovery, breathing, sighting.. it is a complex little bugger to beat into submission!  

Actually, I remembered a few things from middle school and did not go nuts with the legs.  I think my biggest issue keeping my mid body up, my head down, and breathing properly.  I have an email in to a swim coach who has a pretty good track record (and can do video)......should be back from vacation next month.  In the interim......ALL OF YOU ROCK AND LETS TAKE THIS TO ANOTHER LEVEL!!  2012 = The Year Of PRs  

2012-01-14 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3990705

User image

Veteran

NeverEnough - 2012-01-14 8:51 PM
ball6135 - 2012-01-14 6:30 PMIn the interim......ALL OF YOU ROCK AND LETS TAKE THIS TO ANOTHER LEVEL!!  2012 = The Year Of PRs  

I like that enthusiasm!! Laughing

2012-01-14 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3990737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
melanfi - 2012-01-14 8:15 PM

ball6135 - 2012-01-14 6:30 PMIn the interim......ALL OF YOU ROCK AND LETS TAKE THIS TO ANOTHER LEVEL!!  2012 = The Year Of PRs  

I agree completely!  This is actually the first year in 5 years that I will have actual time goals...  written on my whiteboard at work to remind me every day! (right next to the 40-45 Kona Qualifying time at IMOO from 2011)

2012-01-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3990760

User image

Greenville, SC
ball6135 - 2012-01-14 9:36 PM

I agree completely!  This is actually the first year in 5 years that I will have actual time goals...  written on my whiteboard at work to remind me every day! (right next to the 40-45 Kona Qualifying time at IMOO from 2011)

Woahh......Kona qualifier in this group?  Did you do it?  You reached the pinnacle!!!  I will never be there....a full IM is my dream....hope to do it before I die.

2012-01-14 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3990737

User image

Regular
Minnesota

Woo hoo!! Laughing

2012-01-15 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3990777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
ball6135 - 2012-01-14 9:36 PM

Woahh......Kona qualifier in this group?  Did you do it?  You reached the pinnacle!!!  I will never be there....a full IM is my dream....hope to do it before I die.

LOL... My dream!!  Not even a goal for this year!!    No, it's the time that I NEEDED to qualify...  Long story, some dehydration and likely a very bad decision kept me HOURS from qualifying!!!  (infact... HOURS off my IM PR... but I did "finish")

Edited by ball6135 2012-01-15 6:39 AM
2012-01-15 5:31 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
I swam for about an hour yesterday and followed that up with a half hour run. My longest workout in a long time. Felt really good and I'm glad to be getting back in te swing of things. I take an "Aquatech" class our local YMCA. It's taught by a swim coach and a competitive swimmer. It's great to swim with other people.

2012-01-15 7:02 PM

Issaquah, WA

I went for a 7 mile run today, ran about 11 minute miles. At this point that's good pace for me without any walking or getting tired. My running goal is to be able to finish the Kirkland Half Marathon under 2hrs 30min in May. Having a goal gets me out running. Putting my goal out there for all to see makes me committed to follow through.

Plans for coming week. run 20 miles, bike 1.5 hours - will bepend on road conditions, no swimming due to Bursitise in right shoulder.

2012-01-15 7:08 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Nice....day off for me. Spent with the family.  Swimming at 6:00 tomorrow....sprints at lunch!  7 weeks until my attempt at my first full marathon.
2012-01-15 7:54 PM

I have 24 weeks before my first scheduled tri.  Since running is my weakness and I have injured my foot in the past trying to do too much too fast I am taking the running easy and I am going to build up slowly.  I am actually finding that I like it more when I'm not trying to kill myself right out of the gate.  I can't wait until the weather breaks a little so I can get back outside on my bike - that's my heaven on earth!
2012-01-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3991983

User image

Expert

tracie522 - 2012-01-15 7:54 PM I have 24 weeks before my first scheduled tri.  Since running is my weakness and I have injured my foot in the past trying to do too much too fast I am taking the running easy and I am going to build up slowly.  I am actually finding that I like it more when I'm not trying to kill myself right out of the gate.  I can't wait until the weather breaks a little so I can get back outside on my bike - that's my heaven on earth!

I was a bit skeptical of slowing down, but have been amazed at how much faster I have gotten.  The biggest benefit comes from being injury free and able to keep on training.  I have been going by no more than 10% increase each week, making sure to take every 4th week or so at a reduced volume to recover.

Week 1 - 10 miles

Week 2 - 11 miles

Week 3 - 12 miles

Week 4 - 10 miles

Week 5 - 13 miles... 

Just take a good assessment of what your body can handle right now and begin from there.

2012-01-16 7:51 AM

Atlanta
Subject: gps-heart monitor

Quick question, I am looking at getting a GPS-heart rate monitor and I am stuck.  I have done so much research that I think it has just made me more confused.  I have it down to the the Garmin 305 or the Timex Global.  Has anyone had any luck with either of these and which one would you consider. 

thanks looking forward to training

2012-01-16 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3992467

User image

Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: gps-heart monitor
brick0572 - 2012-01-16 8:51 AM

Quick question, I am looking at getting a GPS-heart rate monitor and I am stuck.  I have done so much research that I think it has just made me more confused.  I have it down to the the Garmin 305 or the Timex Global.  Has anyone had any luck with either of these and which one would you consider. 

I have had 3 Running watches.GPS/HRM.  Garmin was the most reliable for me.  I was looking at the 305 and then saw the newer 910.  I am going with the 910.  My buddy who has done two IMs has the 305 and said it is great.  He doesn't where it in open water swims because he doesnt trust the quick release mechanism.   

2012-01-16 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Have had a number of hr monitors and or gps devices so here is my 2 cents.

The 305 is one of the most popular watches out there. It has withstood the test of time. The biggest downside is the lack of waterproofing. There are tricks to use it in your swim cap, but out of the box that is its biggest drawback. (I highly suggest the quick release kit as it is much more comfortable)

As for the timex global trainer, I have not personally used one but have heard good things. It falls very close to the price of the 305 and gets you waterproofing for swimming. You could heck out dcrainmakers review on his blog about the units.

It all boils down to what you want and what you want to spend. I have used the garmin 310xt for a while now and have enjoyed it. I would say I am a garmin person. It is a lot like an apple user. You will find those who swear by their brand. If you need a head unit for power, the 310 is fairly discounted or the 910 is due out soon but will cost you a fair amount more.

With a few accessories (speed/cadence gsc10) you acn hook up on the trainer and get your speed, cadence, distance all winter long as well.
2012-01-16 9:07 AM

Atlanta
Thanks, there is a lot of info and of course they all say they have the best product.  Like everything else I do I am over thinking it and struggle with making a decision.
2012-01-16 12:58 PM

User image

nice easy 30 minute ride on the trainer, felt good. only question with this powertap is that the cadence on th joule jumps up and around so much, how do i make it consistent so it doesnt show cadences of 120 when im in the mid 90s?
2012-01-16 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Evb - does the joule have 3 second average cadence? That may help smooth it out. I know also sometimes especially inside that the distance between rear pt wheel and location of the head unit can cause some skewed data. Maybe try to move the joule to see if it gets better but I think the 3s average may be your best bet since the pt "calculates" cadence bases on spikes in the stroke

2012-01-16 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3993235

User image

jvanis - 2012-01-16 2:41 PM Evb - does the joule have 3 second average cadence? That may help smooth it out. I know also sometimes especially inside that the distance between rear pt wheel and location of the head unit can cause some skewed data. Maybe try to move the joule to see if it gets better but I think the 3s average may be your best bet since the pt "calculates" cadence bases on spikes in the stroke

thanks, smoothing for everything was at 1 so i set it up to 3. ive been getting a very solid feel for this power meter though im still learning this contraption. i will at the end of the week be going through my first power test.

2012-01-16 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Hey Brikierunner...  I was up to the birkie trail this weekend (actually, my FIRST time on skis this winter as there's no snow in Eau Claire...)  and I was reminded of how much room for improvement I have... I just started skiing last year and am wondering if you know of anyone who gives lessons on technique... It would be awesome to know someone in Eau Claire, or in the cities...or where ever - I jsut need help!  Especially technique in climbing - I feel pretty good on the flats but alas, the Birkie AIN'T FLAT!!

2012-01-16 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran

I've got a Garmin 405 which I love. If I had to buy something today, it would be the 910xt, I guess.

Got out there for a 3.1 mile run, just to simulate a 5k for fun. It was faster than most of my short training runs, since I usually run with a running partner. Not that she slows me down, but we tend to get talking and I don't push myself enough.

Just so I don't get lazy, I signed up for a running clinic that will start this Wednesday. It is for the weeks leading up to the Cooper River Bridge Run, and we mostly work on intervals and hills. I did this clinic last year and it was really great for me.

I also stopped by my local tri store to get a new pair of goggles because my old ones were leaving me with big indentations around my eyes for hours after the swim.

I am jealous of you skiers out there! Have fun!

2012-01-16 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3992467

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Subject: RE: gps-heart monitor
brick0572 - 2012-01-16 5:51 AM

I have the Nike Global with HR and I like it but sometimes it takes quite a while to lock onto a satellite. Maybe this is a problem with all of them, I don't know this is the only one I've had. I think the Garmin is easier to interface and download into your training log too!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14