BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-01-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3977856

User image

NOVA
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
bcagle25 - 2012-01-08 10:58 AM

Question of the week: What is your fear/are your fears relating to multisport and endurance training?

My coached asked this question in his interview while starting me up and I could not give a single answer. I am sure that I have some fears, maybe I just have not realized them yet?

My fears are running injuries and crashing on my bike. I've had a few run-ins but nothing serious.  I have a fear of going too fast and loosing control so I usually pump the breaks on down hills and turns which causes me to lose momentum. 

2012-01-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

NOVA

Week 3 of 20 Plan (Jan 9-15)

Monday - (S) 1,000 yds
Tuesday - (R) 4.5 miles tempo
Wednesday - (S) 1,500 yds; (B) 20 miles
Thursday (R) 5 miles intervals
Friday - Off
Saturday - (R) 8 miles
Sunday - (B) 25 miles 

2012-01-08 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
My fear is being too tied to my plan and not listening to my body.
2012-01-08 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3977639

User image

Veteran
Richmond

justinfss - 2012-01-08 4:52 AM winter is in full swing here, I think our local ski hill has been open for a month already. Just finishing up a midnight shift and going to head out for the first run of my 1/2 Marathon training. It is -18.5 celcius, so hopefully I don't freeze anything off! congrats on the new bike Brian, sounds like a sweet ride!

OUCH!  That is super cold, I would be on the treadmill inside.  We have yet to see much winter here in Virginia, I had a nice run in the sun and 55 degrees today.

2012-01-08 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I'm with Matt, I fear not being able to be flexible with my plan. I'm doing a bunch of different types of races this year that will require it, but I think that will be good for me, as long as I don't over do it. Also, open water swims and not being able to get enough of them in. Justin, wow it's cold there!! No offense, but I'll be using you as my "Justin has it worse, so stop complaining" in my head when it finally starts snowing and getting cold here and I start getting wimpy about working out outside. I've got a couple of questions too..1.) I need a new helmet. Nothing wrong with my old one, I'm perfectly happy with it, but it's getting old and the increased mileage I'll be doing I'd rather not take the chance. So, is there much difference between a $40 helmet and a $140 one? Did you go for the low or high end and why? I don't want to skimp on safety, but $$ saved one place can be used on other gear. 2.) Has anyone followed the BT HIM plan? Were you happy with it? I've got about 2 more weeks to narrow it down, between that and a few others given to me by HIM and IM finishers. Temps in the 40s here so no complaints about my 6 mile hill run after a day off yesterday!! Andrew, it's always hard to get back into running, but it will come , just don't push too hard too fast!!
2012-01-08 9:22 PM

Regular

Fear #1 - injury

Fear #2 - not intense enough

Fear #3 - not enough time

Upcoming week will be a continued ease into the off season.  Biggest goal will be to set next year's race schedule.

2012-01-08 10:42 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Had a great weekend of skiing, mostly with my nine year old daughter. It was so much fun to watch her improve over 48 hours. She went from nervous and pizza-plowing down the hills to zooming down with parallel skis. So gratifying.

I know I said there wasn't going to be any Tri training this weekend but the trails behind our house lead into the Sleeping Bear National Lake Shore and we had some down time so I went exploring. 14.75 miles later and about 2,700 feet of elevation change and I had a spectacular run. It was about 32 degrees and a little windy but most of it was in the woods so lots of shelter. Less than two miles of the entire run were on pavement. Win! Wife was not ticked off about my almost 2 hours of absence. Bigger win!

Today started with another three hours of skiing. Later, 50 minutes on the trainer and a four mile transition run that felt more like the last four miles of a full marathon after the leg-trashing of yesterday.

All in all, a great weekend.

Fear. That I won't live up to the goals that I have set for myself. I often second guess whether I went hard enough in my races. I want to figure out what "hard enough" is so that I can be satisfied that the race went as well as possible.
2012-01-08 10:50 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
"Of course if you really want to have fun with it, read up on bike fits online, grab a camera, a friend, and some tools for measurements and do it yourself!"

I have been self-tuning my fit for about three years. Next week I am going to go in and pay for a complete fit. They tell me to plan on spending 2-3 hours with them. The fitter is FIST certified and apparently does most of the local triathletes. I am hoping that getting the amateur (me) out of the equation will improve things dramatically.
2012-01-09 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
My Fear.

That I let myself down by not sticking to my training plan, as well as a healthy lifestyle. I have been overweight for all of my adult life and I am just finally starting to realize that it is going to have a big impact on my health down the road if I don't do something. We haven't really been freely broadcasting this, but my wife and I are expecting our first child sometime in June, and I would like to be able to set a good healthy example right from the start for this little person! Well there ya go Folks that is some big news, as I said we haven't even told everyone about this yet, so I am going to ask all you guys to keep that under your hats .... Ninjas are good at keeping secrets right??

As for what I wear to battle the frigid Arctic weather ( note: I am not actually in the Arctic, not even really close. We are North of the arctic watershed though, so all rivers and streams here flow north to James Bay/ Hudson Bay and the Arctic ocean) I find just a good tight thermal layer with outer shells to block wind. I put a light fleece on yesterday for the -20, and of course a runnning touqe and a face/neck cover. Some good socks and gloves and I'm out the door! If anyone is interested in experiencing somem true winter conditions I am always looking for running partners!

Edited by justinfss 2012-01-09 7:52 AM
2012-01-09 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
My parents are visiting today and my g/f's parents are visiting us tomorrow so I need to tidy up the house quick. Won't be on much until maybe tomorrow night so keep the discussions going and I will catchup when I have more time. Going to try and sneak in a swim first before the madness ensues. Happy Monday!
2012-01-09 10:58 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

In the Toronto area the weather Gods have been kind to us as well. Unfortunately, that is highly unlikely to last, and I get the feeling someone up there preparing to say, "Watch this".

Fears: those pesky running injuries which seem to be so out of my control, and aside from good shoes and rest I can barely influence. I'm trying to use the treadmill with the hopes of reducing joint stress, and starting to think I shoulda bought a cheapie with a piece of spaghetti for a deck since my legs aren't really feeling the love at the moment. The other fear is not seeing that fatigue from going faster/harder/longer is actually damage that shouldn't be run through. Sometimes HTFU is NOT the correct answer, but the correct answer of, "Take four weeks off running", is too difficult to hear.

One small word of warning to prepare you for that fit: although the price for the "fit" may be X, that doesn't cover any of the gear necessary to make the bike fit you. You can't really change YOU, so modding the bike is all there is. My "fit" cost me $2K - it was determined my frame was too small but I could change out the bars+cranks+stem+seatpost and get it to be ok, or just replace the bike, so I did what any aspiring tri wannabe would do

2012-01-09 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Sooooo I'm a slacker.

Totally got the ebola virus and disappeared for a week and missed 5 pages of awesome people.  Hi guys.

My biggest fear with racing is not finishing.  Espeically for a longer distance (70.3+) race.  So much time and preparation goes into it, and often times (with a 140.6 for example) there isn't another event that you can simply register for if you bomb your A race. 

I'm not fast at all, but absolutely have an issue with not completing something I start.

2012-01-09 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

In other news, as of yesterday I offically cancelled my "meat market" gym membership and joined the YMCA.

There are pro's and con's to every gym in my area, the Y's major "con" is limited open swim time and it's a very small facility.  However, after one too many highly inappropriate sauna incidents (including my accidently walking in on a couple... ahem... taking care of business) at my last gym, I think it's worth it.

Granted, I will now inherit 70 year old men in white speedo's, but hopefully they won't be as pervese and grabby as the 25 year olds at the last place.

2012-01-09 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3979188

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
justinfss - 2012-01-09 8:17 AM

My Fear.

That I let myself down by not sticking to my training plan, as well as a healthy lifestyle. I have been overweight for all of my adult life and I am just finally starting to realize that it is going to have a big impact on my health down the road if I don't do something. We haven't really been freely broadcasting this, but my wife and I are expecting our first child sometime in June, and I would like to be able to set a good healthy example right from the start for this little person! Well there ya go Folks that is some big news, as I said we haven't even told everyone about this yet, so I am going to ask all you guys to keep that under your hats .... Ninjas are good at keeping secrets right??

As for what I wear to battle the frigid Arctic weather ( note: I am not actually in the Arctic, not even really close. We are North of the arctic watershed though, so all rivers and streams here flow north to James Bay/ Hudson Bay and the Arctic ocean) I find just a good tight thermal layer with outer shells to block wind. I put a light fleece on yesterday for the -20, and of course a runnning touqe and a face/neck cover. Some good socks and gloves and I'm out the door! If anyone is interested in experiencing somem true winter conditions I am always looking for running partners!

Let me wish you a hearty congratulations, on both your first child and on your decision to set a healthy example. My kids are the greatest, yet most frustrating, hardest, most rewarding, did I say greatest? thing that I have ever done. Enjoy every minute.

Congratulations again. (By the way, in my life outside of triathlon I deliver anesthesia for a living so if your wife has questions about epidurals I am always happy to answer/give advice.)

Jason
2012-01-09 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3979764

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
marvintpa - 2012-01-09 11:58 AM

In the Toronto area the weather Gods have been kind to us as well. Unfortunately, that is highly unlikely to last, and I get the feeling someone up there preparing to say, "Watch this".

Fears: those pesky running injuries which seem to be so out of my control, and aside from good shoes and rest I can barely influence. I'm trying to use the treadmill with the hopes of reducing joint stress, and starting to think I shoulda bought a cheapie with a piece of spaghetti for a deck since my legs aren't really feeling the love at the moment. The other fear is not seeing that fatigue from going faster/harder/longer is actually damage that shouldn't be run through. Sometimes HTFU is NOT the correct answer, but the correct answer of, "Take four weeks off running", is too difficult to hear.

One small word of warning to prepare you for that fit: although the price for the "fit" may be X, that doesn't cover any of the gear necessary to make the bike fit you. You can't really change YOU, so modding the bike is all there is. My "fit" cost me $2K - it was determined my frame was too small but I could change out the bars+cranks+stem+seatpost and get it to be ok, or just replace the bike, so I did what any aspiring tri wannabe would do

Funny you should mention the possible cost of the fitting. I got the go ahead from my wife to purchase a new bike if needed, she said, "Get whatever you want, sky is the limit." She is pretty tri-knowledgable so she knows what that limit is. I am really hoping that they will be able to make my current bike work because as fun as a new bike sounds right now, I would really like to get another season out of this one. It is a P2 and I was measured by the (now out of business) local Tri shop. They did my original fit in early 2009 but since they went out of business in 2010 I have been doing my own fit adjustments. We shall see.
2012-01-09 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3979188

User image

Veteran
Richmond

justinfss - 2012-01-09 7:17 AM My Fear.

We haven't really been freely broadcasting this, but my wife and I are expecting our first child sometime in June, and I would like to be able to set a good healthy example right from the start for this little person! Well there ya go Folks that is some big news, as I said we haven't even told everyone about this yet, so I am going to ask all you guys to keep that under your hats .... Ninjas are good at keeping secrets right??

Congratulations Justin!!!  That is awesome news.

2012-01-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3980157

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Nicole83 - 2012-01-09 1:45 PM

Sooooo I'm a slacker.  Totally got the ebola virus and disappeared for a week and missed 5 pages of awesome people.  Hi guys.   My biggest fear with racing is not finishing.  Espeically for a longer distance (70.3+) race.  So much time and preparation goes into it, and often times (with a 140.6 for example) there isn't another event that you can simply register for if you bomb your A race. 

Welcome back Nicole, I hope you are feeling better.  Finishing is a common fear on long distance tri's, I did my first IM last year and it stayed with me until race day, then it was what it was going to be and I finished in 13.5 hours, way ahead of just finish and time goals of under 15 hours.  If you follow your plan you will be able to finish, trust your training at that point, that was the best advice I got from veterans and they were right on.  The key is staying healthy and injury free, which is a challenge if your body isn't used to the bigger volumes in those plans.  Keep the 10% per week rule in mind as you build your volume.

I see your from Sarasota, my brother lives there and I've been to visit him a couple times.  I totally love the area, Siesta Key Beach and SKOB are a couple of my favorite places to go when we visit.

Edited by mdfahy 2012-01-09 9:07 PM
2012-01-10 12:38 AM

User image

Regular

So I scrapped my workout for today since I got in a car accident, but I'm ok (other than my totaled car), so I'm going to hit a good bike ride for tomorrow.

2012-01-10 1:39 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks Guys, and thanks for the offer Jason, we havent really talked much about the delivery yet, I will definately hit you up for some info on the options.
2012-01-10 6:40 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Erica, what happened?

Glad to hear yer ok.

2012-01-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3981025

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
mdfahy - 2012-01-09 10:06 PM
Nicole83 - 2012-01-09 1:45 PM

Sooooo I'm a slacker.  Totally got the ebola virus and disappeared for a week and missed 5 pages of awesome people.  Hi guys.   My biggest fear with racing is not finishing.  Espeically for a longer distance (70.3+) race.  So much time and preparation goes into it, and often times (with a 140.6 for example) there isn't another event that you can simply register for if you bomb your A race. 

Welcome back Nicole, I hope you are feeling better.  Finishing is a common fear on long distance tri's, I did my first IM last year and it stayed with me until race day, then it was what it was going to be and I finished in 13.5 hours, way ahead of just finish and time goals of under 15 hours.  If you follow your plan you will be able to finish, trust your training at that point, that was the best advice I got from veterans and they were right on.  The key is staying healthy and injury free, which is a challenge if your body isn't used to the bigger volumes in those plans.  Keep the 10% per week rule in mind as you build your volume.

I see your from Sarasota, my brother lives there and I've been to visit him a couple times.  I totally love the area, Siesta Key Beach and SKOB are a couple of my favorite places to go when we visit.

Very cool!  If you're ever visiting and want to meet up, let me know.  I've met a dozen BTers or so at this point and it's always fun to meet people you "know" online.

2012-01-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3981223

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
IronCowgirl - 2012-01-10 1:38 AM

So I scrapped my workout for today since I got in a car accident, but I'm ok (other than my totaled car), so I'm going to hit a good bike ride for tomorrow.

That stinks!  I'm very glad to hear you're all right.

2012-01-10 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
IronCowgirl - 2012-01-10 12:38 AM

Bummer, sorry to hear that, but glad you are ok.

2012-01-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3981337

User image

Regular
marvintpa - 2012-01-10 4:40 AM

Erica, what happened?

Glad to hear yer ok.

I was turning right out of a parking lot and started to pull in front of a car. The line of sight at the exit of this parking lot is completely obscured when there are vehicles parked along the street. I go out of this parking lot all of the time, and I'm always careful to stop a little further back where you can see better to  wait and watch, and look through the windows of the parked cars before I go, and I've never had a problem before. This time, though, there was a small car that I didn't see, and though I slammed on the brakes, the other driver said she accidently hit the clutch instead of the brake, and our front corners collided, so if one of us could have stopped about a foot back we would have avoided it. As it was, she hit me going full speed. It just knocked out her headlight, but the front end of my car is really messed up- there's some electrical damage so it won't even start. The car has been falling apart for awhile, so this was probably the last straw. Completely my fault, but it's kinda one of those things. I've seen several accidents in that exact same place. The cop even apologized when he gave me my ticket!

My nerdy side is going to draw up the location in CAD and do a few calculations with the line of sight and stopping distance and such things. I'm sure the area is up to code, but it would make me feel better

Edited by IronCowgirl 2012-01-10 11:35 AM
2012-01-10 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
IronCowgirl - 2012-01-10 12:38 AM

Really sorry to hear that, but glad you are ok. I would go to court and explain the situation to a judge, they usually always will at least reduce the ticket.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19