BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-01-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3965644

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

What's rule one?  All together -- "nothing new on race day"       ---    Right now go tell your spouse/SO of rule one...I don't want them buying you a new tri top for your first race - you know the rule...but Bryan won't know....and domestic harmony is worth a ton....and he/she is just trying to support and be involved...it will be OK....and then your ARMPITS are absoutely ground beef by the end of the swim and then you sweat on the bike and then slide your arms back and forth with every stride on the run....considering 800-1000 steps per mile....well you calculate it and God Bless You...

NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY ---  I am pausing so you can tell him/her right now.....no seriously...RIGHT NOW....this is not a time to say "I will do it later...."  NO - GO - RIGHT NOW>

Road bike vs tri bike - simple - either - if you don't own either, borrow or buy a road bike...if you don't know if you will like this, don't just buy a tri bike....road bikes are more social...they are better for group rides like the MS150....you will want to do one of those too...trust me.  If you only have a mountain bike...do your first sprint on it if you can't borrow a road bike...just get it done and see if you like it...hey - you will even see bikes with baskets so no worries...just go do it and don't over stress...I would rather you get new running shoes and ride a mountain bike.  Oh - and don't wear your running shoes to the mall to walk around...what are they "RUNNING SHOES"  therefore we RUN in them...if you want to discuss this more or if you want specific questions answered let me know....by the way, some bike shops will even rent you a road bike...check into it.

Clipless pedals - an interesting name since you are footcuffed to the frame of your bike...you need them....AT SOME POINT....practice with your bike on a trainer or in spin class.....practice clipping out when riding for no reason....make it easy....YOU WILL AT SOME POINT FALL OVER AND THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WATCHING....I was riding the Tour de Missions a few years ago - queing up in a downtown street...small Texas town...I was on my bad to the bone tri bike...and was toward the front of the ride...a photographer with one of those humongous lenses is firing pic after pic of me....looking sooooo cool I roll up....ease to a stop....and fall over....and he is firing away....and away....and away....YES I WAS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THEIR PAPER....laying in the street...practice in a parking lot....practice more....clip out the same side every time....your balance matters....I am right handed but I clip out with my left foot every time....oh, and always shift to an easy gear before your get to the stop sign...it makes it much easier to one foot pedal as you can't get your other one clipped back in....don't worry...the scrapes heal....much faster than your ego.

Nutrition - wow...this could be a book....150-200 calories an hour in any event over one hour....in other words...you don't need 7 gels for a sprint....and you will see this....trust me...err on the smaller intake of calories....150-200 may be a bit high for some of you on the petite side....I take almost all of my nutrition through a drink - Infinit Nutrition - google it.  I will use a gel ever now and then....for a change of pace...my favorite - Hammer gel - Apple Cinnamon - tastes just like apple pie.  I also use salt tablets when necessary (HOT).  With infinit you can dial in your nutrition, it is a custom blend...about the same price as most...their recovery drink is good as well.  Workouts an hour or less - water is fine...over one hour - you need calories....think about this...if your gas gauge shows you have an hour of driving left do you try to go driving for three hours????  Nope, or your car bonks.  So will you.....at some point.  I ALWAYS run with water...even a three mile run....water....yep....I live in Texas - today is in the 70s.

Travelling and working out - running shoes and shorts don't take up much room...sorry about the shoes....run on the treadmill if required but as a dude if I am in a safe place I explore by run.  I ask at the hotel for running routes...most have them...I also ask for the cool things to see and how far they are away...and then go see them...it's a great way to see a city....you can also do plyometrics in your room....hey...you can plank in the nude for thirty minutes - one minute at a time and then go shower....keep the door locked and no clothes required...no excuses....and come on - almost EVERY hotel has some kind of gym.  There is also a pool finder website...I will have to try to find it...it is for every city in the US almost.

2012-01-16 3:38 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Wow..  that was a bombshell of information and support... Thanks!!

Fun day here, as I followed my impulsive instincts and hunted down a used road bike.. which I bought this afternoon at lunch.... Very happy and looking forward to getting on the road... Know almost nothing about bikes except what i have read in the last week or so, but think I did pretty good without going crazy.. (C'dale Caad5 R2000si, ultegra) older, used.. but think it will be good training/first bike.

Now.. to go tell the significant other...Then... to practice that clipping thing!!!!

Monte

Edited by Malsup 2012-01-16 3:43 PM
2012-01-16 3:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

The right IM is a great question....answer...whichever one you can get in....every IM has it's advantages....FL is flat...but that means aero for 6-8 hours...locked in -- pedalling all the way...no coasting...Texas - hot...some chip seal roads....some rollers...but a great multi loop run through a packed shopping area....many fans....but the swim is a bit congested at the start....AZ...multi loop spectator friendly course...can get repetitive....and the run is almost all concrete...and there is a hill on the run...so they all have issues....oh and wind can be worse than hills...and in AZ in 2010 it hailed on the bike course....in Wis in 08 or 09 it sleeted....Lake Placid 2 or 3 years ago it rained all day in the 50s....last year FL was in the 40s with winds up to 30mph....and the fact is 140.6 miles is just effing hard....that's why it's called Ironman.....you get in one that is convenient to you and your supporters and family....preferably a course you might be able to ride (I never have) and one that you think you would enjoy...if you have friends doing it....hey....cool...it's a party....you might even see them on the course.....

I am planning on being in AZ this Nov to support a few folks racing - including Briana - and will be signing up for IMAZ 2013....come on out....we will recon the course....party....and sign up for next year....rock n roll.....we will also volunteer.....another request....you should volunteer at least once a year at a race of some sort.  I want you to realize, this doesn't happen without volunteers....once a year...volunteer.

2012-01-16 3:43 PM

Extreme Veteran

Here's the link....go here and play....live long and prosper....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100380&posts=5359#M3993467

This will be one of my FINAL posts here.  I will sweep this site from time to time but please go to the new link and say hi....they are waiting for you there....

if you have questions PM me.

Bryan

2012-01-16 3:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

OH, that link will take you to page 268....we may have moved to 269 pages by the time you get there...just advance to 269 on the Go To list.....

Also, read the history as you have time...great reading.

2012-01-16 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3993459

User image

Extreme Veteran

Way to go Monte!  It does sound like you got a good bike.

I agree, practice clipping in and out because you will fall.  And remember no matter how long you have been riding there will be a time you forget to clip out and will fall.

Thank you for all the great information!  

2012-01-17 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

My blasted foot just won't recover and it's starting to tick me off in a major way.  I went for a 4 mile run about 6 weeks ago when I wasn't really feeling the love if you know what I mean.  The bod felt tired and tight but I went anyway, because if you wait till you feel good you'll never go, right?  Turned out to be a freaking disaster.  My legs never loosened up and I never got my stride going and I think that is the run where I hurt my foot.  It still aches and I'm afraid that I might have really hurt it.  I went for a short bike ride on a freakishly warm day last week and even that made it hurt afterwards.  Arrrgghhh!  What makes it even more annoying is that I did this to myself during my "downtime". 

Not much anyone can tell me execpt to go to a Dr.  I guess I'm just venting a bit at not being able to start my training and explaining why I'm not posting any workouts.  Grrr, I wanted to get going at Jan 1 and it's not happening so I'm a bit riled.  Can you tell I don't have tons of patience?  Hopefully everyone is working their program and making progress!

2012-01-17 12:52 PM

User image

Walla Walla

DNoble - I hear you saying everyone tells you to go to a doctor...maybe for the last 4 weeks even, but I gather you haven't gone...? (Just sayinWink) I have a husbanad who won't go to the doctor until the morning he cant get out of bed, which makes the logistics a lot harder for the rest of us.  His will is stronger than his body I guess. 

The only other thing I think there is to say is how old are your shoes and did they fit right when you got them?

2012-01-17 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Yes, I'm one of those stubborn male types, I admit it.  And no I haven't gone to the Doc.  He will want xrays, at least, and he'll want to give me a physical too.  And we all know where that leads, nope, not going.  At least for now.  Stubborn male stereotype confirmed....

My shoes are relatively new, only about a hundred miles on them or so.  I was planning on replacing them in the spring when they get up to around 200.  By then they will actually have some age in addition to miles working against them so out they will go.  But they are not as wide as I would like and was going to buy the same shoe but in a wider width.  I honestly hadn't thought that shoe fit might have been the problem, I was blaming my bad stride.  Maybe it was both and I should get new shoes now....  Thanks for the response, I really wasn't thinking about it that way.

2012-01-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3995426

User image

Extreme Veteran

dnoble, I used to live in St. Louis....go to Fleet Feet and they will take great care of you.  Shoes really do matter.  I can always tell when I need to get new shoes as my stress fracture starts bothering me years after it has healed.  

2012-01-18 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
HEY - ALL this traffic needs to go herehttp://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100380&start=5401&posts=5403We are joining with my original site as it says on page 5. Please go there.

2012-02-21 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
We are coming back here. Let the posts begin.
2012-02-21 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This week is our national Sales meeting which means lots of food to nibble on and no time to work out.  I will try to keep on the postings......I did find y'll.

Happy training everyone!

Kathy

2012-02-21 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Did yall do that on purpose trying to loose me?
2012-02-21 8:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
I apparently we almost took beginner triathlete down. Go figure. just a bunch of silly old people. Well here we are. More fun. Keep up the good work. The old site is archived and still available. You just can't post there. We are a victim of our own success.
2012-02-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4059567

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Awesome.  What a group!!

Just got home from a bike trainer class.  Did a nice swim before class with a neighbor who is hoping to triathalon this year.  She is an amazing runner, 8 min miles at her first marathon in Philly last year. took a brief, but hilly bike ride with her yesturday (around 13 miles)after my long run (7 miles).  She has an old 10 speed Schwinn and still kicked my butt.  And did I mention there were 20 mph winds!Yell

She isn't a swimmer so I helped her get her breathing going in the pool tonight.  She has a nice stroke but does 25 yds at a wicked pace and then can't get back down the pool.  Slowed her down a bit, got her breathing every stroke and relaxed her kick a little.  By the end she was doing freestyle for most of 100 yds.  I got 2000 yds in before Bike trainer class which also kicked my butt. (The bike class, not the swim) I have to plan better.  No long runs the day b4 before bike class.  My legs were screaming.  Of course we did intervals.  YellI'm hitting the shower.

My last thought.  Trying to figure out if I would get more fitness from investing in a Garmin or coaching for a few months.  I'm def leaning toward coaching.  I feel like I put in alot of training and don't have too much to show for it.  (Improvement wise)I will do anything a trainer tells me, just like I followed the HIM training program almost to the T.  I think I need more focused direction to maximize the training I do.  Any input here is welcomed.

I am frustrated and exhausted.  To the shower I go.

2012-02-22 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I guess we are the "Anonymous" of BT... taking down the web... haha.

Ann, if working with a coach keeps you motivated, I would say go for it. I think Bryan said in an earlier post that training in a "group" is better. I think the coach thing is the same in that you make yourself more accountable - to yourself, to your plan, to your group or coach - whatever works.

Anybody besides Briana and myself doing the HIM in Galveston? I am training to avoid a bike crash...yup, simple goal.

2012-02-22 9:00 AM

Washington DC
Well hello again. Got back to the gym yesterday for the first time in over a week and took it slow ish since I wasn't feeling too hot. Practiced some running form which hopefully will help, but I noticed the difference in effort immediately.. now to just make it stick!Found out I might be moving to the east coast at the end of March, so I'm not sure what that will do to my tri plans, but I found a few that would work with my schedule so just a wait and see for a few weeks... but now will actually have to train for hills. Blahh.I glanced over the posts I missed, but am still catching up, so more responses later.
2012-02-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4060058

User image

Veteran
Long Island
triplebypat - 2012-02-22 8:25 AM

Ann, if working with a coach keeps you motivated, I would say go for it. I think Bryan said in an earlier post that training in a "group" is better. I think the coach thing is the same in that you make yourself more accountable - to yourself, to your plan, to your group or coach - whatever works.

Anybody besides Briana and myself doing the HIM in Galveston? I am training to avoid a bike crash...yup, simple goal.

Hey Pat. 

Its not a motivation issue.  It's a getting results issue.  I feel like I am not doing the things to help me improve because I am not seeing improvement.  Also I am so tired and hungry so maybe my nutrition is off although I do eat pretty well most of the time.  Maybe its not enough of the right stuff for the calories expended.  Not sure what the right stuff is.  I try to keep fats down, with carbs and protein balanced.  I usually get enough sleep, more than most, I think.

I'm just perplexed.

2012-02-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4060058

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
triplebypat - 2012-02-22 9:25 AM

I'm pretty sure Lance Armstrong is doing it.  Say hi to him for me.

2012-02-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4060279

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hey all,

Sorry for the earlier whining. Just did a slow recovery run.   I got some perspective.  I am so fortunate I am doing what I am doing.  So many are not experiencing the great benefits of exercise.  I'm going to enjoy the journey no matter how fast or slow it takes me to get there.

Thanks for listening.  Off to shower, food and work!!

2012-02-22 12:57 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Hey all.. now that was weird..

Good to see Kathy and Maria.. and Ann (Hang in there girl!! go with what feels right.. Improvement is probably a lot like losing ounces versus pounds... can't visibly see em, but you are losing them none the less..)

Not much to report... did have Dr. appt this morning.. waiting on cholesterol numbers, but did tell me to break Blood Pressure pills in half pending getting off them completely if BP stays just as low on the half.

rock on ya'll..

2012-02-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3985833

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
bar92 - 2012-01-12 6:50 AM
Suzie Weathermon - 2012-01-11 4:14 PM

Here's the good word for the day:  I disolved a killer headache yesterday in time for my workout.  Good, no?  I did a little poking around on the free information in the ether out there, and it could just be overerxertion in general and not heat, paired with low blood sugar.  And here's what set me up for the doozie yesterday, I think.  I was in a rush to cram in a run on Sunday (that one I was so proud of) and did it on a banana and  a donut middle and two cups of coffee - at noon.  Brilliant.  From there, I just never rehydrated or refueled enough.  So here's what I did.  I ate.  Yep, I ate my way out of a migrane.  Nearly puked, but just kept forcing in a hundred  or so calories and a glass of water every half hour and in 3 hours: no headache.  Good as new.  Ran 16 minutes after that (and drank some Hammer Recoverite immediately - usually I don't get to it for about an hour). So I think I have to make sure I'm super-hydrated and adequately fueled before the workout.  If I start hydrating during the workout, I'm already behind.

Way to fix your own problem!  I've never had a migrane, but I can tell a difference in my workouts when I am not properly hydrated or fueled.  When I did my first IM, someone at work commented that I was "always eating".  Guess my body knew what it needed.

I frequently get occular migraines.  Somewhere in the brain, my optic nerves is compressed causing brite spots and eventually retarded vision that behaves like tunnel vision.  These vary from little twinkles to near total vision lost.  My worst experience happened during an intense group training ride.  Vision degraded until I could only see out of one eye.  Riding at top exertiton levels and not taking the time to drink  That ride really got my attention.  I ended up dropping from the group and coasting the 15 miles back to my car riding with one eye closed. After resting a bit I drove home looking out of one eye.

The occular migrain can be controlled by staying on top of my hydration.  My research is drawn from parallels of ocular vs/ regular migrain headaches.  You might also be able to manage migrain headaches by monitoring your hydration requirements.

I pre hydrate before work outs and races.  Trying for 16oz 30minutes before workouts.  Really long races I practice hydration loading, that is similar to carbo loading but different.  Drink before going to bed, wake up and drink low-carb elctrolyte drink return to sleep, and then start drinking another bottle as soon as I get out of bed. This is a bit extreme and I only take hydration this far the night before a 3+ hour endurance event.

During workouts I always have a bottle, on my belt, my bike or on the pool deck.  Long workouts lasting longer than three hours I have as many as three bottles. 

After workouts I drink another bottle of protein and carb replacement beverage.  Also have recovery bottles chilled and ready to consume after races. 

During the summer when I need to consume more liquid, I drive to cache locations before starting the run and stash partially frozen cold bottles that I pick-up during the run.

The difference between a surviving and having a great event is in the details. 

2012-02-22 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ann - reach out to Annie at Train2Race. Google her. She is awesome. Coached me thru an Olympic and HIM. Now I am part of Endurance Nation but Annie was fantastic. Tell her Bryan said hi. She actually came in our group site one night and answered questions.
2012-02-22 5:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fueling and hydration are CRITICAL to success. I know many of us battle weight but don't be afraid of calories. Be smart.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57