BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
Way to go Melinda! How exciting to be able to see your progress and have the coach be able to see that all the hard work you've put in has paid off!

2012-04-15 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4151680

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

melindacumming - 2012-04-15 10:50 AM Had a great pool session! Swam in the am with the multisports team. Back to being the slowest of the slow...the other gal wasn't there..... This is a group of multi-tri athletes but sometimes it is a little discouraging. So in the afternoon I had signed up for a swim clinic with the Luna Chix Triathlete team and a local Seattle coach, Kiko Van Zandt. Outdoor pool, sunshine... I attended one of these sessions back in August when 25 yards was a struggle. It seemed ridiculous at that time to have my stroke evaluated by the Coach (what stroke?).I am more than pleased to report that I have indeed progressed! I did have my evaluation by Coach Kiko and have three things to work on but overall she said I was doing great! I was amazed how what seem like little changes an have such an effect. I came away with both more speed and power. Now all I have to do is truly incorporate it into my technique. I was really really happy!Today we ride. Melinda

Melinda, this is awesome news!  So happy to see you progressing!  I'd highly recommend some weight training- start out with lots of reps at low weight, you'll get fast from that.  Strength is key in swimming.

2012-04-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4150309

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-04-14 8:50 AM Just got back from an OWS and it was absolutely HORRIBLE!! I felt like a first-timer out in the water today. The wind was around 17-22mph, causing the lake to be extremely choppy - we're talking white caps in a little lake! I decided to swim the half mile course instead of the mile course, but once I got in the water and was being tossed around, I even cut the half mile course short and turned around early. I was upset with my performance, but once some of the veteran athletes started commenting that they have never seen it so choppy and rough, I felt a little better (but not a whole lot better)! I will probably do a run this afternoon on the treadmill since we are expecting rain and high winds.

Mariah, I saw this on FB but was busy.  Don't sweat these swims- in fact, these are the very types of swims that make you an outstanding OWS'er.  I remember my first OWS was in Lake Michigan and there were 3 foot waves.  It was terrifying, even for a guy that grew up in water.  Do not sweat poor performance in rough water.  Even when you are experienced it still can suck

2012-04-15 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Steve, I'm so glad to hear everything came back OK.  Health issues like that make you realize that things like triathlon are only for fun... don't sweat missing some training.

That being said- if you need some workouts to ramp up your training I'll be able to help you out :D

Welcome back!

2012-04-15 4:04 PM

User image

Just got back from the drive (to check out the course I'm "supposed" to be doing this next weekend). OH MY GEE WHIZ!! It is SO hilly! I'm going to be working my rear off during the entire event (provided I make the entire ride)! There is one part that even says "Caution - extreme downhill"; I expected a downhill, but what it is is a very extreme downhill while the road snakes...very scary in a car, much less on the bike!

My husband believes I can do it; our LBS owner has faith in me; one of my buddies that is training for a 140.6 seems to think I can do it...I guess I just need to jump on the bandwagon and believe in myself too! 

I won't be on the bike much (if at all) this week, but will be in the water instead so as not to burn my legs out before next weekend!

2012-04-15 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4151976

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
mmez - 2012-04-15 3:04 PM

Just got back from the drive (to check out the course I'm "supposed" to be doing this next weekend). OH MY GEE WHIZ!! It is SO hilly! I'm going to be working my rear off during the entire event (provided I make the entire ride)! There is one part that even says "Caution - extreme downhill"; I expected a downhill, but what it is is a very extreme downhill while the road snakes...very scary in a car, much less on the bike!

My husband believes I can do it; our LBS owner has faith in me; one of my buddies that is training for a 140.6 seems to think I can do it...I guess I just need to jump on the bandwagon and believe in myself too! 

I won't be on the bike much (if at all) this week, but will be in the water instead so as not to burn my legs out before next weekend!

I know you can do it, Mariah.  Have some faith in yourself!!!!  Handling that beautiful new bike on the hills will get your confidence up for sure   Good call on taking it easy this week- make sure you work out though, just a little bit- you don't want to lose fitness either.  I'd suggest some kick sets in the pool.

2012-04-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4151964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
mcgilmartin - 2012-04-15 2:54 PM

Steve, I'm so glad to hear everything came back OK.  Health issues like that make you realize that things like triathlon are only for fun... don't sweat missing some training.

That being said- if you need some workouts to ramp up your training I'll be able to help you out :D

Welcome back!

It has been somewhat of a reality check for me. I haven't had any health issues before except for a broken arm from a rank horse, so I sat back and thought a lot more about pretty much everything. If I had gotten a prescription for Vicodin I probably could have written a book on the philosophy of life. I also took the the time to really assess where I was at physically and what I could realistically expect for upcoming races. I decided to put off Ironman Boulder until next year as I felt that I didn't have the base necessary to really give it a good shot. I'm starting the Fink plan over again and shooting for either Ironman Austin 70.3 at the end of October or the HITS Lake Havasu 70.3 in November. I have a Sprint tri in 2 weeks that I'm going to use as a training/reality check race to see where I'm at.
2012-04-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4151976

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Mariah, I'm sure you can do it! Hope you share a race report afterward, my biggest goal on the bike right now is to ride hills and build endurance, I am pretty bad at it. I'd love to learn from your experience. Good luck and have fun on the ride! 

I went to a transition clinic this afternoon and was the only person there! That was fine with me because I got two-on-one advice from two very experienced teachers. I had a nightmare a week ago where I was at my first tri and forgot everything when I got to transition, so clearly I am sweating the transition part. They answered all my questions and then some, and helped me set up my space, so I feel much better now. It's hard being a complete beginner sometimes, but everyone is really helpful and friendly.

Still love reading everyone's posts!

mmez - 2012-04-14 5:04 PM

2012-04-15 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4152233

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-15 6:10 PM

Mariah, I'm sure you can do it! Hope you share a race report afterward, my biggest goal on the bike right now is to ride hills and build endurance, I am pretty bad at it. I'd love to learn from your experience. Good luck and have fun on the ride! 

I went to a transition clinic this afternoon and was the only person there! That was fine with me because I got two-on-one advice from two very experienced teachers. I had a nightmare a week ago where I was at my first tri and forgot everything when I got to transition, so clearly I am sweating the transition part. They answered all my questions and then some, and helped me set up my space, so I feel much better now. It's hard being a complete beginner sometimes, but everyone is really helpful and friendly.

Jen, transitions are truly the 4th sport in triathlon.  I actually took 2nd place in a race last summer, lost my AG by less than a minute.  Guy did his T2 in 39 seconds, mine was like 3 minutes due to shoes being in knots.  I kicked myself for weeks, nobody remembers who took 2nd.

2012-04-15 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4152262

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Ouch, that would hurt to be so close! But second place, wow, that's still so good! The guys at the clinic had those shoes that you wear without socks and I guess you just slip in and pull a string or something at the back of the shoes, it tightens and off you go. I will be sitting down, drying my feet, putting on my socks and then my shoes and double-knotting the laces lol I can see how transition would be like the 4th sport!

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-14 8:30 PM
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-15 6:10 PM

Jen, transitions are truly the 4th sport in triathlon.  I actually took 2nd place in a race last summer, lost my AG by less than a minute.  Guy did his T2 in 39 seconds, mine was like 3 minutes due to shoes being in knots.  I kicked myself for weeks, nobody remembers who took 2nd.

2012-04-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4152287

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Get some Yankz!- they're awesome.

However, if you have these shoes Yankz don't work that well. These are my racing shoes.  Yep, for real.

Noosa's

2012-04-15 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4152287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Jen - you might want to look at "Yank" laces. They are elastic laces that you preset for the tightness you want. You basically lace your shoe with them and that's it. When you go to put them on, they stretch out. No tying and quick to get on. I like them and have run a marathon with them. I've found that they saved me a bunch of time tying my laces which I never got set right the first time.
2012-04-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4152308

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Oh wow, I bet those are easy to spot! Kinda funky, I like em.

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-14 8:51 PM

However, if you have these shoes Yankz don't work that well. These are my racing shoes.  Yep, for real.

Noosa's

2012-04-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4152325

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

It's time for some new shoes anyway so I might check this Yank stuff out, thanks to you both for the suggestion! Are they available at local shoe stores or do you order online? I am still running in $20 running shoes from Target. Can't believe they are still comfortable.

With my first tri in less than a month, I am really trying to catch up on the gear. I still need a wetsuit, and a tri suit or something besides old race t-shirts to wear, I'm still using an old bike helmet from college, and new shoes would be nice. But at least I have a road bike instead of a mountain bike now, I bought a race belt today after the clinic, I have a pair of padded bike shorts and some gloves, and I bought a great backpack with an outer compartment for wet stuff to use as my transition bag, so I am getting there. There's so much stuff to get!

stevesflyshop - 2012-04-14 8:57 PM Jen - you might want to look at "Yank" laces. They are elastic laces that you preset for the tightness you want. You basically lace your shoe with them and that's it. When you go to put them on, they stretch out. No tying and quick to get on. I like them and have run a marathon with them. I've found that they saved me a bunch of time tying my laces which I never got set right the first time.

2012-04-15 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Those are FABULOUS Matt!  Did you have to special order them?  I'm pretty devoted to my Newtons for running but would love to get a pair of these for work!

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-14 8:51 PM

Noosa's

2012-04-15 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I've gotten my Yank laces from my LBS. I've also seen them at running stores. Basically anywhere I've seen triathlon gear I've found Yanks there too. They run around $8.00.

2012-04-15 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4152360

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

That sounds easy enough, thanks!

stevesflyshop - 2012-04-14 9:16 PM I've gotten my Yank laces from my LBS. I've also seen them at running stores. Basically anywhere I've seen triathlon gear I've found Yanks there too. They run around $8.00.

2012-04-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4152348

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Robyn,

You can get them at Zappos.  They have a 2012 model that came out on April 1st, they're even cooler.  It takes a certain gravitas to wear them for sure

2012-04-15 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Did a 5K road race yesterday.  The Iowa State Triathlon Club puts on their annual Doughnut Run as a fundraiser.  They set up aid stations along the course and off your doughnuts, each one consumed gives you time off your finish time.  Some pretty crazy stuff.  (Link here)

This year I did not partake in any of the doughnut eating.  I was using this race as a warmup for the half marathon in two weeks.  Race course was pretty flat, and I ended up posting a decent time - 22:39 - despite asking for directions a couple of times as the course was not very well marked.  I really pushed myself through this one fitness wise as I'm sure my conditioning has not been the best.  Got 1 more solid week of training and a week of taper to prepare for the next race.  At this point I'm not getting my hopes up for a PR, but I'll give it a good shot.

2012-04-15 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4152572

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-15 9:07 PM

Did a 5K road race yesterday.  The Iowa State Triathlon Club puts on their annual Doughnut Run as a fundraiser.  They set up aid stations along the course and off your doughnuts, each one consumed gives you time off your finish time.  Some pretty crazy stuff.  (Link here)

This year I did not partake in any of the doughnut eating.  I was using this race as a warmup for the half marathon in two weeks.  Race course was pretty flat, and I ended up posting a decent time - 22:39 - despite asking for directions a couple of times as the course was not very well marked.  I really pushed myself through this one fitness wise as I'm sure my conditioning has not been the best.  Got 1 more solid week of training and a week of taper to prepare for the next race.  At this point I'm not getting my hopes up for a PR, but I'll give it a good shot.

OK, Christian.  I don't usually do 5K's unless it's a cause that means something to me.  Eating donuts is a cause I will gladly throw my considerable weight behind LOL.

Seriously??? How much time do you get off for each donut?  How many donuts did the winner eat?  This is freaking hilarious while being incredibly clever, too.

2012-04-16 12:25 AM

Sarasota, FL

Second Yankz/Lock Laces.

Those shoes are pretty spectacular! Seems like you have the race times to match. I remember admiring them in the store but they were a little too pricey and I'm way too slow

Good luck on your hills, Mariah. Sounds like you've got it and you'll feel amazing when you cross the line. I don't even know what a hill or incline is anymore. I've been living in Florida too long where you get excited going over a speed bump.

There's so much more to triathlon then I initially thought. Any gals that can give rec's for race clothing (shorts, shirt)?

Edited by Runsw/Parker 2012-04-16 12:31 AM

2012-04-16 12:57 AM
in reply to: #4150053

Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! OPEN

Ahh, if ONLY you were closer! I've been harassing anyone and everyone to join me in my race. No luck so far, especially at work. If you ever decide to take a trip or plan a race, let me know.  My parents live in D.C., I love that area, especially all the trails and paved bike paths. Maybe we can just temporarily switch lives

I too, made a career change and finished an accelerated BSN program a little over 2 yrs ago. I'm just working PRN nights (1-2 shifts/wk x 13.5 grueling hours) right now on a Med-Surg floor (blah!) while I'm in school to become a FNP. Excited about finishing but also dreading being the newbie again and the growing pains. I've always wanted to attach a pedometer during a shift. No workout has ever made my body ache quite nursing.

Hope you guys enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the laugh too.

2012-04-16 2:41 AM
in reply to: #4143014

New user

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! OPEN
mcgilmartin - 2012-04-11 4:07 PM
Tigereye - 2012-04-11 12:59 AM

Hi

I would like some advice or just others experiences/thoughts about how to run a HM.

I am going to run a HM on sunday, and I would really like to do it in less than 2 hours. I have run a 10k in Feb and 15k in March with the times (there was snow and slippery conditions during the 10k):

10k: 28:53+27:46 = 56:39

15k: 28:17+27:41+27:08 = 1:23:06

I believe I can run a negative split again during the HM, but I would like to know how you approach a HM as I have never run that far before. The nervousness is begining to build

Those are awesome times!  I'm sure you'll finish under 2 hours... I'll let Aaron and Christian answer your question about pacing- they are our running studs in this group.

phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-12 4:23 AM

Matt is entirely too kind.  I'm still learning quite a bit from on my own and from everyone here.

You times look good and you can go under 2:00.  Does your race have pace groups?  If they do make sure to get in the start corrals early enough to line up with the group. 

Otherwise, it looks like you have some great data to work off of.  The last 5K will be a piece of cake.  Can't wait to read the race report. 

I had a great race yesterday, I used the 2:00 pace group in the beginning to start "slow" and then pass them and increase the pace later in the race. Official time: 1:55:37.

Pace was:

HM: 28:20+27:13+26:47+27:24+5:53.

It was my first A race for the season, my next is a 1000m - 76 km - 20 km triathlon in August. As a former swimmer, I have always been a little afraid of the run part of a triathlon, but it seems that I can run quite good after all. So now I need to get the swim & bike training started

It is nice to read how people are training and having some of the same doubts as I have.

Edited by Tigereye 2012-04-16 3:03 AM
2012-04-16 9:19 AM

Everyone is doing so well now, with some really impressive times. I'm feeling kind of slow. Guess I will have to use it as ispiration to get my butt moving a little quicker.
2012-04-16 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Live coverage of the Boston Marathon if you're near your computer:

http://universalsports.com/video/boston-marathon-april-16-2012/

Commentary if you can't live-stream:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/microsite/article/0,8029,s6-239-506-0-14256-0,00.html

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25