BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-12-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

Westerly
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - CLOSED
I joined a new gym today that has a pool.  Swam laps for the first time in my life.  It was very difficult.  I think I might have gone up and back about 20 or so times with rests after each 50 meters.  I hope that it will get easier rather quickly.  Any suggestions?  I finished the workout with a 45 minute spin class.

2012-12-28 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4552439

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - OPEN
Birkierunner - 2012-12-28 7:35 PM
trei - 2012-12-28 1:00 PM

Good suggestion about putting in a cheapo tire on the back - I've worried about that.

Yes, lots of people do it that way.  Others just use whatever tire they rode on the road with.  At first I put on a Continental trainer tire made especially for trainers (more durable than a road tire and better grip) but I got tired of switching it off of my wheel in spring when I'd go back and forth between riding outside or inside depending on the weather.  I bit the bullet and bought a cheap wheel and put on a spare cassette I had and then put the Conti trainer tire on that.  Now all I have to do is switch out my trainer wheel with my road wheel and in a few seconds I'm in business. 

MIA during Xmas as I was away at the in-laws.

I ride with a PT so deal with swapping the trainer tire every time I switch from road to indoor.  I try not to put the road tire on the rear wheel since it wears down so quickly on the trainer.  If you can find a cheap rear wheel that's the best way to go - I found one that was unridable (cracks), but was fine for the trainer, but when I moved to the PT I learned to get good at swapping out the tire.

2012-12-28 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4550849

New user

California
got in a 4.2 mile trail run yesterday...getting ready for the first of two 1/2 marathon trail runs tomorrow  Its supposed to be pouring rain out.  Oh well..it may be more of a mud run
2012-12-29 12:01 AM
in reply to: #4551085

User image

Sarnia
What the heck is a Kurt Kinetic???  Like a Computrainer??
2012-12-29 6:11 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
I went and got a pair of YakTrax yesterday and then ran in the snow/ice for the first time. It was very similar to running on the beach back in CA. Just a bit cooler. I guess now I can't use the snow and ice excuse any more. I have an indoor bike trainer on the way so that excuse will be gone the middle of next week.
2012-12-29 7:05 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Just looked outside.  YIKES!  Got another 5" of snow overnight.  A foot of snow on the ground.  Really?  In Indiana?  Welcome to Indiana Scott!  I never had to deal with this in California.

That brings up an interesting question - At what point is it OK to alter your training due to weather?

Today was going to be a swim day, but the pool is 65 miles away.  Yeah, I am sure the plows are out and the salt is getting laid down, but I am thinking the better part of valor is probably not to do something stupid and drive in the hazardous conditions.  I can hit the cardio bike and weights so it isn't a total wash-out.  I am not sure that running outdoors is a realistic option today, given the new snow and ice, crazies on the road, plows, etc.  Taking the bike out is probably out of the question for the same reasons.  Like I said in an earlier post, I have the yaktrax and a bike trainer on the way, but at some point, don't you just have to say, "Maybe tomorrow?"

Looking forward to comments from some of you with far more experience in cold weather climates than I have.

2012-12-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4552762

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
k9car363 - 2012-12-29 7:05 AM

Just looked outside.  YIKES!  Got another 5" of snow overnight.  A foot of snow on the ground.  Really?  In Indiana?  Welcome to Indiana Scott!  I never had to deal with this in California.

That brings up an interesting question - At what point is it OK to alter your training due to weather?

Today was going to be a swim day, but the pool is 65 miles away.  Yeah, I am sure the plows are out and the salt is getting laid down, but I am thinking the better part of valor is probably not to do something stupid and drive in the hazardous conditions.  I can hit the cardio bike and weights so it isn't a total wash-out.  I am not sure that running outdoors is a realistic option today, given the new snow and ice, crazies on the road, plows, etc.  Taking the bike out is probably out of the question for the same reasons.  Like I said in an earlier post, I have the yaktrax and a bike trainer on the way, but at some point, don't you just have to say, "Maybe tomorrow?"

Looking forward to comments from some of you with far more experience in cold weather climates than I have.

Hmmmmm....I'm the last guy you want to talk to then.  I grew up in New England and moved to WI from work in MD because I needed real winters.  I race x-c ski in winter so love it.  We had a race north of Duluth a few years ago and on the way up our car temp said minus 40 degrees.  They postponed the race a couple of hours before it "warmed up" to minus 20 and they let us start the race.  As I type this I'm getting ready to go run out in the snow.  You just have to use good judgement.  If the roads aren't plowed yet maybe its best to wait if you are not comfortable running in snow.  Personally, I'd still go out and try to find less-traveled roads to run on.  I have never used yaktrax or similar and never seem to have a problem.  The way I look at it is, you never know what weather you'll get on race day so don't let the weather dictate your training (within reason obviously).  Let us know how it goes

2012-12-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4552673

User image

Pro

zaj17 - 2012-12-29 12:01 AM What the heck is a Kurt Kinetic???  Like a Computrainer??

You can find them HERE.  Just another version of an indoor trainer.  The Computrainer looks similar but it has a lot more bells and whistles.

2012-12-29 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
k9car363 - 2012-12-29 7:05 AM

I thought about your post while out running in the snow just now and it reminded me of the Ironman documentary "What It Takes" (see trailer).  In the movie 3x Ironman World Champion Peter Reid is shown driving to a couple of local pools that he finds out are closed due to a snowstorm.  Since he can't get his swim workout in Reid decides to break out the mountain bike and get in a bike workout in the snow.  After the workout he said he knew none of his other competitors would have been out there in the storm.  It's all about how bad you want it......

2012-12-29 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4548932

User image

Pro
k9car363 - 2012-12-26 5:31 PM

STORY: 

I started swimming competitively when I was 11 and swam all through high-school and college.  I guess you can say I was a world class swimmer in the late 70's and early 80's.  I held a world record at one point, albeit for about 20 minutes, but it was a world record nonetheless (I set the record in a semi-final and it was broken in the next semi-final).  Back in those days, an amateur was an amateur so as a swimmer, unless you were independently wealthy, you really only had one shot at the Olympics.  After the 1980 U.S. Olympic debacle my swimming career began to wind down and in 1982 I finally retired from competitive swimming.  That was, coincidentally, the same year my Ironman dream started.  I suspect that many of you can trace the genesis of your own Ironman dreams to the same moment - Julie Moss on her hands and knees, crawling across the finish line in Kona.  In my mind, that was, and continues to be, the epitome of athletic achievement.  I immediately knew I wanted to do an Ironman.  However, the sad reality was that I had spent 5-8 hours a day in a pool, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for over a decade, and the thought of going back to full time training was not very appealing.  On top of that, I had another problem - running and I had never really been friends.  The Ironman has that little marathon thing at the end and that simply terrified me.  A couple decades later, I found myself over one-hundred pounds overweight, and I couldn't run 100 yards, let alone a marathon.  Although I didn't move to fulfill my Ironman dream, I did tell anyone who would listen that, "I could do an Ironman."  Then a couple years ago, I went to a client's house and there on the wall of his home office was a picture of him crossing the finish line in Kona.  Of course, one of my first comments was, "I could have done that!"  After a year of him hearing about how I could have done that, he finally called me out last May.  He basically said, "Your going to go to your grave saying you could have done it, or you can do it."  He then challenged me to join him at the Ironman World Championships in Kona on October 11, 2014.  After a grueling two weeks of researching everything Ironman, including how to qualify for Kona, I finally accepted his challenge.

GOALS: 

1. Ironman World Championships - Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - October 14, 2014

Scott, I don't know if you've seen Gordo Byrn's website but he has a part of his site dedicated to several articles on what he thinks it takes to qualify for Kona.  Link here

2012-12-30 7:01 AM

User image

Personally in for me in Wisconsin:  The pool is 25 minutes drive away, so I try to keep swims during the week when I'm going to town anyway for my job.  Biking I do indoors probably 8 months out of the year on my trainer.  I have a hard enough time keeping in control on drive pavement let alone snow etc.  Runs however I love to do outside and really only cut it off at below 10 degrees.  I have Yak trax too, but generally only use them in early spring when it gets to be a freeze/thaw ice situation.

Todd

2012-12-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4552944

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Birkierunner - 2012-12-29 12:12 PM

After the workout he said he knew none of his other competitors would have been out there in the storm.  It's all about how bad you want it......

I remember once when I was swimming a similar thing happening.  During Christmas vacation we trained in a short course pool at a City College.  The college shut the pool heaters off, since nobody was using the pool (except the A.A.U. Swim Team - opps).  Even in Southern California, it can still get chilly in the winter.  One morning we went to start a workout at 5 a.m. and were greeted by ice floating in the pool.  That was one of those moments.  We could do what others would not or we could go home to our warm beds.  About 2/3 of the team elected to go home.  I was one of the crazies that broke ice when we jumped in.  It was REALLY cold at first, but it got better.  There was certainly motivation not to hang on the wall between sets!

"It's all about how bad you want it....."

Yeah, I wanted it pretty bad then, I want it even more now.

2012-12-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4553350

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2012-12-29 8:13 PM

Scott, I don't know if you've seen Gordo Byrn's website but he has a part of his site dedicated to several articles on what he thinks it takes to qualify for Kona.  Link here

THANK YOU!  I have been looking for something like this site for quite a long time!  Thank you!

2012-12-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4553621

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
trei - 2012-12-30 8:01 AM

Personally in for me in Wisconsin:  The pool is 25 minutes drive away, so I try to keep swims during the week when I'm going to town anyway for my job.  Biking I do indoors probably 8 months out of the year on my trainer.  I have a hard enough time keeping in control on drive pavement let alone snow etc.  Runs however I love to do outside and really only cut it off at below 10 degrees.  I have Yak trax too, but generally only use them in early spring when it gets to be a freeze/thaw ice situation.

Todd

We recently transplanted from California to Indiana; still trying to get used to this "real" winter thing.  We rarely had to deal with temperatures below 40 degrees, let alone snow and ice.  Can't say as how I liked the YakTrax, I suppose they served their purpose as I didn't fall on my arse but I didn't care for how they felt.  I think I am going to try a pair of trail running shoes and see if that is more comfortable.  I have an indoor bike trainer on the way, hopefully that will get here next week.  As to swimming, I like the pool I am using but an hour away is becoming an impediment that I would prefer to do away with so I guess it is time to find a better alternative.

2012-12-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4552873

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2012-12-29 10:48 AM

zaj17 - 2012-12-29 12:01 AM What the heck is a Kurt Kinetic???  Like a Computrainer??

You can find them HERE.  Just another version of an indoor trainer.  The Computrainer looks similar but it has a lot more bells and whistles.

As much as I would like to have a Computrainer, I think it is not in the budget.  Their website says about $1,700 but that is not accurate at all!

If I got one my wife would be looking for gold and diamonds!  That makes it quite a lot more than the advertised price. 

2012-12-30 1:32 PM

User image

Westerly
Took a break from the gym today and tried out a bike trainer that my friend gave me to try.  It is a Minoura 850 MAG.  Its a magnetic one so I am sure it is not a smooth as a fluid one.  I went for 45 minutes with an average speed of 16.5 and traveled just over 12 miles.  Had a good average HR too, probably about 150.  Still trying to learn my new HR watch.  Does anyone know of a site to get a good bike trainer workout.  I was doing intervals and seemed to work okay.  Hope all have a good new year.

2012-12-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4553944

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

RITri - 2012-12-30 2:32 PM Took a break from the gym today and tried out a bike trainer that my friend gave me to try.  It is a Minoura 850 MAG.  Its a magnetic one so I am sure it is not a smooth as a fluid one.  I went for 45 minutes with an average speed of 16.5 and traveled just over 12 miles.  Had a good average HR too, probably about 150.  Still trying to learn my new HR watch.  Does anyone know of a site to get a good bike trainer workout.  I was doing intervals and seemed to work okay.  Hope all have a good new year.

I haven't used them yet, but plan on signing up for an account on my day off tomorrow.  

www.trainerroad.com/

Most of the reviews I've read about their service is all very positive.... though again, I haven't used them yet myself to confirm.

2012-12-31 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4552457

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
RITri - 2012-12-28 7:52 PM

I joined a new gym today that has a pool.  Swam laps for the first time in my life.  It was very difficult.  I think I might have gone up and back about 20 or so times with rests after each 50 meters.  I hope that it will get easier rather quickly.  Any suggestions?  I finished the workout with a 45 minute spin class.

Just keep getting in the water and it will get easier. In the beginning, you might want to focus more on frequency versus duration. For example, I tend to not swim much after August, so when I return, it is rather challenging. Rather than try to swim twice a week for 45-60 each session, I sometimes try to get down to the pool for 3 or 4 training sessions at say 30 minutes each. Just food for thought.
2012-12-31 9:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
k9car363 - 2012-12-29 8:05 AM

Good question and I am sure that you will get a variety of answers. I live in Vermont so weather is part of the equation. There are a couple of schools of thoughts on training. I will extend it beyond the weather issue as well. I enjoy the training and take it seriously, however, I am not willing to sacrifice too much time with my family. I feel guilty if I choose to train versus doing something with the family. So, I find ways to get it done that does not cause family balance to get out of line. I offer this up as an example of something that can compete with training or not training...just as the weather can. We have closer to 2 feet of snow on the ground. I could go for a run today or use the weather as an excuse. I like to keep my training plan fluid as things will get in the way of your plan. Just expect this. Therefore, I try to keep things flexible and move training around. I allow family and sometimes work to be an excuse, but I try to not let the weather be one. The more excuses you have, the more your training with suffer.

So, to answer your question, I would not take the bike out if you have snow on the ground. Easy decision for me. I probably would not drive 65 miles to squeeze in a swim either. I would probably weight for the plows to clean things up and then find a quiet road to run on and possible do some core work and then reshuffle the training schedule. For me, training is all about reshuffling the training schedule and thinking about "what is important next"?
2012-12-31 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4554783

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
mandsberry - 2012-12-31 9:52 AM

RITri - 2012-12-30 2:32 PM Took a break from the gym today and tried out a bike trainer that my friend gave me to try.  It is a Minoura 850 MAG.  Its a magnetic one so I am sure it is not a smooth as a fluid one.  I went for 45 minutes with an average speed of 16.5 and traveled just over 12 miles.  Had a good average HR too, probably about 150.  Still trying to learn my new HR watch.  Does anyone know of a site to get a good bike trainer workout.  I was doing intervals and seemed to work okay.  Hope all have a good new year.

I haven't used them yet, but plan on signing up for an account on my day off tomorrow.  

www.trainerroad.com/

Most of the reviews I've read about their service is all very positive.... though again, I haven't used them yet myself to confirm.

Often around this time of year, I hear folks talk about using Jorge's Winter Cycling Program. All comments tend to be very positive. I tend to you use Coach Troy's DVD's and they work fine for me as well.
2012-12-31 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4553944

User image

Pro

RITri - 2012-12-30 1:32 PM Took a break from the gym today and tried out a bike trainer that my friend gave me to try.  It is a Minoura 850 MAG.  Its a magnetic one so I am sure it is not a smooth as a fluid one.  I went for 45 minutes with an average speed of 16.5 and traveled just over 12 miles.  Had a good average HR too, probably about 150.  Still trying to learn my new HR watch.  Does anyone know of a site to get a good bike trainer workout.  I was doing intervals and seemed to work okay.  Hope all have a good new year.

The first place to look is the free training plans that this site has to offer.  You can upgrade to different membership levels as well to get more detailed plans.  Jorge's winter plan is an excellent free program as well and Jorge is a member of BT.  As Mike mentioned above, the TrainerRoad site gets a lot of positive comments, although I haven't used them.  There is also the Sufferfest product as well, but I haven't used them either.  I either write my own erg file program for Computrainer or use one of the ErgVideo programs that I purchased to use with my Computrainer.  I like the ErgVideo product because they offer a couple of the Ironman courses I race on and its a great way to get real life video of the course I race on.  The only drawback is that you need to have your Computrainer hooked up to a laptop, and they aren't cheap.  I also use a variety of the Spinervals dvd workouts and think the Time Trialapalooza and Big Gear Strength dvd's are good ones.

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-31 10:31 AM

2012-12-31 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4554825

User image

Pro

gatjr33 - 2012-12-31 9:15 AM
RITri - 2012-12-28 7:52 PM I joined a new gym today that has a pool.  Swam laps for the first time in my life.  It was very difficult.  I think I might have gone up and back about 20 or so times with rests after each 50 meters.  I hope that it will get easier rather quickly.  Any suggestions?  I finished the workout with a 45 minute spin class.
Just keep getting in the water and it will get easier. In the beginning, you might want to focus more on frequency versus duration. For example, I tend to not swim much after August, so when I return, it is rather challenging. Rather than try to swim twice a week for 45-60 each session, I sometimes try to get down to the pool for 3 or 4 training sessions at say 30 minutes each. Just food for thought.

I agree with the frequency comments...when I start up in the pool again in winter I will often only swim for about 20 minutes or so just to avoid the drudgery of staring down at that black line at the bottom of the pool :-)  Shorter, more frequent swims will also be a benefit in the beginning because you will be able to maintain better stroke form for more of the workout before fatigue sets in an affects your stroke mechanics.

2012-12-31 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
As we countdown to the New Year I just wanted to encourage everyone to continue (or start) logging your workouts on your personal BT blogs.  Also, if you add all the group members to your FRIENDS list in your blog settings you will have a quick way to check up on and encourage each other on a more personal basis via the "inspire" feature.  Also, if you have a good idea of what your 2013 races will be you can enter them in the Planned Races feature (click the "+" sign) on the right-hand side of your blog as well. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-31 11:37 AM
2012-12-31 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4555101

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Birkierunner - 2012-12-31 12:34 PM

As we countdown to the New Year I just wanted to encourage everyone to continue (or start) logging your workouts on your personal BT blogs.  Also, if you add all the group members to your FRIENDS list in your blog settings you will have a quick way to check up on and encourage each other on a more personal basis via the "inspire" feature.  Also, if you have a good idea of what your 2013 races will be you can enter them in the Planned Races feature (click the "+" sign) on the right-hand side of your blog as well. 

Any chance we can get a current listing of all participants in this group?
2012-12-31 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4555125

User image

Pro

gatjr33 - 2012-12-31 11:44 AM 

Any chance we can get a current listing of all participants in this group?

Here is the All Star lineup:

First name  BT name and blog siteLocation    
NeilGoFasterOntario
BrechtBrechtiejBelgium
MichaelMandsberryVirginia
Michaelneweyes?
ToddtreiWisconsin
GarygsussmanOregon
Scottk9car363Indiana
Carrolcklaebe?
DaveRITriRhode Island 
Georgegatjr33 Vermont
BretbmasonIllinois
ChrisFakes7?
ErikgbswanWisconsin
ElizabethevargasCalifornia

Tim               timjim987                   Missouri
Paul              pmoores                     Canada
Craig             Cmarch                      Canada
Jess              jkouvel                       New Jersey
Amy             mom2wildboys             Rhode Island
JoAnne          zaj17                         Canada

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-31 12:12 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25