BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4569583

User image

Anthem
Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Open

Sozzie,

I've always been a big gym rat so strength training is my forte.  However, after speaking with my doc, I found that it was also my downfall.  My strength and size was big.  My BP was over 140, but my hockey playing kept my resting pulse and diastolic low.  Problem was my heart was still working super hard.  I'm sure that you aren't going to work out with the same intensity as me, but I'm a strong believer that strength training is vitally important in overall health, wellness and triathlon.

I hit the crossfit seen pretty hard, but never felt the awesome burn that I was used to so I make up my own workout. (I'm a Phys Ed minor in strength training, go figure)  I do the following workout schedule:

M - Legs / Short-Med Run (usually around the 2 mile mark)

T - Tri's/Shoulders/Chest / Short interval run (I read an article some time ago that talked about increasing your endurance run speeds by interval training.  The concept was that by gradually increasing your speed and distance during your intervals, you will decrease your overall run times.  So far I'm up to running a little more than 400m between 1:15-1:20, putting my mile time at around 5 - 6 minutes, of course that's at practically full threshold.  My average mile time has decreased from 10 min miles to 8 very quickly.)

W - Bi's/Back / I will take a break from the running and will either do 30 minutes on the rower or elliptical.  I usually play in my league hockey games on Wednesday nights as well.

When my pool opens up again I will start doing swim workouts after work, on Mondays and Fridays.

Th - Off/Rest

F - Swim/Bike (off course no swim right now(bike is usually close to 20 miles)

S - Full Brick Run - Bike (15-20 miles)/Run (I'm at 3.5 miles right now but trying to increase to 5)

Su - Hockey again

My workouts are organized, systematic and very specific.  I've found that by planning my workouts and being prepared, I never failed.  Hope I gave some ideas.   Smile

2013-01-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4543955

Meant to work out this morning, but didn't make it. Still did my planned brick after work. 1 hour on the bike and 15 minute run. Been a while since I had done a brick and I forgot what it was like to run after biking. The first few minutes were a bit of an awakening!
2013-01-10 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran

I would like to join also...

STORY: 30y old from Croatia. My whole life in sports, but only 3 years ago began to run seriously. Mixing it up slowly with swimming and martial arts, in 2011 joined triathlon club and started cycling. So, actually, never before properly swam, cycle or run. In 2012 I ran Rome Marathon (my first and only one), traveled to NY for NYC Marathon and left disappointed (when we arrived in NYC, we found out the race is cancelled - I was furious...). Love to run Half-Marathons. Done it few last year, all together several.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING:: This is my 1st week of BT 20 week program for intermediate triathletes preparing for HIM. The race is in late May/2013 (Challenge Rimini, Italy). I plan to do also two more. I am eager and motivated, also curious and (positively) scared.  I plan to run some 30-50 days in a row, but somehow always something happens. These kind of things motivate me to be persistent, although I am an endorphin addict.

I think that's all for now.

p.s. Wink

Edited by Gladiador 2013-01-10 12:25 AM
2013-01-10 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4571247

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Gladiador - 2013-01-10 1:22 AM

I would like to join also...

Great to have a Gladiador in the group :-)  Welcome!

2013-01-10 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4570536

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

paddyirishman - 2013-01-09 3:56 PM @ steve: How loud it the computrainer? I live in an apartment building and am afraid of the noise upsetting the neighbors.

Thats a tough one. The CT is far from silent and I need to turn up the TV a bit so I can hear it over the hum of it.  Hard to say if its loud enough to upset neighbors.  I don't think it would.  Maybe you should post that question in the general forum.  There have got to be plenty out there that have a CT and use it in an apartment.

Speaking of CT, Im off to the basement for a 1 hr Tabata.  Happy Thursday training everyone.

2013-01-10 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4568284

New York City
Thanks for sharing - I might give this a go!

2013-01-10 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

Just entered the IM Kona Lottery for the 3rd year in a row. Nothing will feel more satisfying than actually qualifying but being in the most competitive age group is not making it easy so hey its worth a shot. 

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman/world-championship/athletes/lottery-and-legacy.aspx#axzz2HaPRyYCz  

2013-01-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4572267

User image

Edgewater, Maryland
stevepiv - 2013-01-10 2:03 PM

Just entered the IM Kona Lottery for the 3rd year in a row. Nothing will feel more satisfying than actually qualifying but being in the most competitive age group is not making it easy so hey its worth a shot. 

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman/world-championship/athletes/lottery-and-legacy.aspx#axzz2HaPRyYCz  

Way to go man.. fingers crossed for you

2013-01-10 2:37 PM

Hi Steve,

I am 50 yrs. old, I started running again a couple years ago and since then I've run couple half marathons and a full. I will be running a half in Feb. and a full in April. I've never done a triathlon but would like to start. There is a sprint in March, an Olympic in April, and a HIM in Aug., is that doable?

I do struggle with training at times, family and work are priorities.  With that said I am very motivated.  I just added the bike and swim to my training, but could use some help and would like to join your group.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by Steve Irwin 5 2013-01-10 3:51 PM
2013-01-10 2:52 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa

Hello Steve,

Checking if you would mind mentoring one more person as your group seems to be open.

FOCUS:  Training for & completing Calgary 70.3 (Yes I am Canadian) as my first 70.3 race.  Maintaining consistent workout schedules and avoiding overtraining.

STORY:  I found Triathlons last season (committed at the end of 2011) and raced 2x Olympic distances while gaining equipment, training and experience.  When I was in highschool I was peak fitness level and I've yoyo'd around a fair bit since going all the way up to 250 in the worst time and between 177 - 210 in the last 2 years.  I've been training endurance sports for 3 years now and looking to keep challenged and increase my consistency.

FAMILY STATUS:  Single, Girlfriend with Cats and dogs

2012 RACES:  Gasparilla Half Marathon, Ottawa River Triathlon (Oly), Manitoba Half Marathon, The Canadian (Oly)

2013 RACES:  Calgary 70.3, The Canadian 113, and some smaller tri's along the way as fitness markers.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I'm currently ~200 lbs and look to be down to 180 by the spring and running ~170 -165 by mid season at my peak.

GETTING TO KNOW ME:  I'm a very motivated person that is currently working to develop a greater understanding of the sport as a whole.  I love training and tend to use it as a time to meditate (focus on exactly what I'm doing at that moment) and push myself to my limits.  I've been with BT for over a year now and have been on and off about recording my training, now more on.

Cheers,

2013-01-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4572564

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
CDTIronman - 2013-01-10 3:52 PM

Hello Steve,

Checking if you would mind mentoring one more person as your group seems to be open.

Welcome to the group Chris!  

Now that we have 15 I think I'll close out registration.   In previous years many dropped off after the 1st few weeks.  I hope this doesn't happen here! Looks like we have a very solid group that is very motivated to achieve their goals this year.  Lets do everything possible and support each other.  Like the Ironman montra goes... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

2013-01-10 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4572528

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Steve Irwin 5 - 2013-01-10 3:37 PM

Hi Steve,

I am 50 yrs. old, I started running again a couple years ago and since then I've run couple half marathons and a full. I will be running a half in Feb. and a full in April. I've never done a triathlon but would like to start. There is a sprint in March, an Olympic in April, and a HIM in Aug., is that doable?

I do struggle with training at times, family and work are priorities.  With that said I am very motivated.  I just added the bike and swim to my training, but could use some help and would like to join your group.

Thanks, Steve

Oops, sorry Steve - missed one.   You're in!!

2013-01-10 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4571360

New York City
I have a trainer thats really loud - but it has three resistance settings and does the job! It only cost me $150! I put the whole set up on my yoga mat which dampens the noise for whoever is living below me ( I hope - so far no noise complaints). I read books or watch movies on my kindle and wear noise cancelling headphones - it's great! I hear very little outside noise - the only downside is that the headphones get pretty sweaty and my dog doesn't enjoy it 
2013-01-10 5:07 PM

New York City
Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed

Hello Steven and the Group!

Daily training:

Today I did a swim workout:

200 choice, 200 kick then 2 x 750 with 1min rest inbetween followed by a very slow, enjoyable 100m cool down = 2000m

I had added a 5 mile run but cancelled it as it was an extra addition to my plan and I was feeling sore and tired with the rest of my first week back catching up with me. No guilt associated with that

Some questions: Are we to post on Sunday night for the following week or post on a Sunday what we did the previous week?

Also, I was wondering if I should do some swim-ride bricks as well as the bike run bricks?? Is this important?

Tomorrow I am supposed to be doing a 2-3hr bike ride and since the weather here has been excellent I want to push myself into doing it outdoors but I am SOOOOOO nervous - I know that seems a little pathetic but the roads here freak me out a bit and I also dont want to get lost - still I am going to take a deep breath and just do it...Riding on the right side of the road is not a natural thing for me LOL

I just realised that I didn't share my races for 2013 like everyone else so here is my plan:

March: NYC Half Marathon

May: Devilman Sprint (NJ)

June: Independence Sprint (PA)

July: NJ State Tri Olympic (A race)

August: Age Group Nationals Milwaukee (Olympic)

Sept: Mighty Man Montauk Sprint (NY)

I have also entered the Smith point Sprint tri in Long Island but it is a week before Milwaukee - I entered it to get the discount before I even found out I had qualified for Milwaukee, so not real sure about that and they do not give any refund.

I hope everyone had a great day today!

2013-01-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4572894

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

Don't forget to look right & left at all intersection and be careful.  NYC drivers are nuts. I am one of them Cool but I do look out for bikers.  The weather is supposed to get even better this weekend, will try and get an outdoor ride in as well.   After several sessions on the computrainer it will be a pleasant change.

You're going to love the NJ State tri.  I did it last year and PR'ed.  Awesome venue.

Regarding weekly summary's.... I know some people go Sunday to Saturday and others Monday to Sunday, so either one works. Starting with this week's totals I'll start sending out a summary.  I usually send it out Monday afternoon.

2013-01-10 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4572930

New York City

Thanks Steven,

Looking forward to your summary. Have a great weekend. I am probably going to ride from here (Roosevelt Island) over Queensborough bridge to the park - brave 1st ave up to a street where I can get into the park - think it's 72nd and do 6 laps around the outer loop of the park and back..

Cheers,

Kylie

2013-01-10 6:12 PM

Thank you Steve, appreciate you getting me in.
2013-01-10 7:07 PM

User image

Edgewater, Maryland
Well some good news for once.. I was able to get on the Nordictrack Eliptical  at home for 30 min and did not hack up 1/2 a lung.. Been fighting this flu that is going around for weeks.. I finally an starting to feel like a human again.. Keep your fingers crossed that this is the trend..
2013-01-10 9:36 PM

User image

Anthem

YellREST DAY!!!!

can you say, big AHHHH

2013-01-10 9:41 PM

Morning swim and afternoon bike. A couple of good ones. Off to bed now to get up early and bike! Looks like everyone did pretty well with their workouts today.

Good luck in the Kona lottery Steve. That would be an amazing experience!
2013-01-11 3:53 AM
in reply to: #4573226

User image

Veteran

mirkearn - 2013-01-11 4:41 AM That would be an amazing experience!

It will be...

2013-01-11 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4572267

New user
San Francisco

I am in for the Kona lottery too.

Does anyone know if they allow deferrals? A bit early to be asking that but my fiancee and I are considering that weekend or the weekend after as our wedding date. And no, she would not be cool with a wedding in Hawaii, just so I could participate. I absolutely understand her too.

2013-01-11 3:25 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa

I'm going to throw up my generic pre - season plan right now and then discuss when / where it will change.

Generally for the weeks building up to March I'm looking at

M: AM swimming / PM Brick Spinning (60 min) & Endurance weights (~ 50 min)

T:  PM Gym or Running

W:  AM Swimming (with a swim team & coach)

Th:  PM Brick Spinning (60 min) & Endurance weights (~50 min)

F:  PM Swimming

Sat:  2hr Brick (Spinning + weights) + run increasing from 20 min - 1 hr

As of 11 March (also my BDay) I'm starting up the 20 WK 1/2 Iron training plan that I've taken off BT in order to be ready for my 70.3 at the end of July.

I'm part of a local Triathlon club (the spinning and endurance workouts are group workouts and lead by coaches) and have access to a rather well trained coach for swimming 1/wk.

I'm truly hoping that I can maintain my dedication and limit my enthusiasme as I tend to always try for a tempo run/ride/swim and push as far as the body will give.  Last year I went through half a dozen overtraining cycles that wiped out my peak performances.

2013-01-11 6:33 PM

User image

Been a tough end to the week for me. 2 sick kids today so made it into a recovery day. Hope to find a little time tomorrow and at the least get back on track Sunday at the latest.
2013-01-12 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

Well it wasn't the 60* day they promised but I was so psyched to ride outside that I went out anyway. 44* wasn't too bad. After coming back twice for more layers got in a 21 mile ride then headed for the basement for a 3 mile run. Gonna get in 5 tomorrow + some P90X2 if time permits.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group (Year Three) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10