BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-01-06 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4546309

User image

New user
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED
KenL: I am doing the women's triathlon. Thanks for the info on the indoor Tri in Lincoln. Looks fun! Will have to check my schedule. A few clubs have those here in Omaha, but they are usually priced more for nonmembers, so it is nice to see an affordable fee.

2013-01-06 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Emily & Terry - concerning your pedal stroke, it sounds like you are not using clipless pedals, ie not using bike shoes which clip into the pedals.  You want your foot to make contact with the pedal roughly at the ball of your foot or slightly behind towards your heel.  I do not think a lot about my pedal stroke but I try not to let my heel drop below the pedal.  I have read the bottom of your pedal stroke should be like wiping mud off of your shoes but I don't consciously make an effort to this. 

Maybe a good general question for the group is are you using biking shoes/clipless pedals on the bike or biking with your running shoes?  I started out without biking shoes and used pedals with a toe cage.  The advantage of clipless pedals is the sole of the bike shoe is made of stiff material, carbon or fiberglass, and does not flex so much less power is loss than with running shoes which do flex.  When you move to clipless pedals it causes a change to your transitions, because you now have bike shoes and running shoes to worry about.  You are also clipped into the pedals and it takes some practice and thought to remember to unclip (a twist of your ankle away from the bike) or you will tip over when stopping.  You have to remember to unclip the leg you normally use to support you on the bike when stopped.  It's all really very simple but most everyone (including me) has some stories of falling off their bike due to unclipping issues.  After awhile it becomes second nature and you hardly even think about it.  

Bill - HIM run vs bike frequency.  For longer distance races such as HIMs and IMs, I think most people over train the run and under train the bike.  If your peak running weeks are in the 22-25 mile range with maybe 2-3 long runs of 10-11 miles you are probably good.  I think running 4xweek is plenty and would recommend you try to ride 4xweek as well.  I am a strong believer in stressing the bike training at longer distances.  You will be riding 56 miles in the HIM and I would recommend getting in some long rides in the 60-70 mile range.  It is much easier to recover from the bike than the run which is why I recommend going over the race distance on the bike but not for the run.  A key on race day will be pacing the bike.  No matter how good your run fitness is, if you don't pace the bike well in longer races your run will suffer greatly.  I've raced/trained enough to know and use heart rate targets for my longer races on the bike and early on the run.  I watch my HR to make sure I am not working too hard.      

2013-01-06 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4564873

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Mike,- I value your experienced insight so i am taking your advice and will scale down from 5 to 4 days running at least until i get past the race date April 6th. I will have from then to May 26th to pump up the volume for the marathon. Wow! thats a lot of miles on the bike. Never really did any distance work on the bike and didn't know recovery was easier. Makes sense, so my tentative weekly schedule will take on this shape Tues.-interval work on Bike and Run.---Wed.-Long Bike and A swim.----Thur.-Run.----Fri.-Bike and Swim.----Sat.-Run.----Sun. Long Run.----Mon.- Recovery. My swim training has to wait till Jan. 21st till the pool opens. At least its a plan i am sure this will get modified as i go but thats what makes flying by the seat of your pants fun. Thanks
2013-01-07 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran

I have been using clipless pedal system for about 2 years now. I like it quite a lot. It actually feels safer to me than the cages, because I felt that the tread of my shoes sometimes got a bit hung up on the pedal/cage. Since using clipless, I have yet to fall because of forgetting to unclip.  I probably just jinxed myself by typing that.

I'm in total agreement with training for the weakest leg, and focusing on bike because of it's relative importance in terms of time in the triathlon. Bike is my focus this season.

Core workouts - thanks for that link. I intended to try that yesterday and did not do it, so today it is on my agenda.

Denise, a women's triathlon sounds like a lot of fun.

2013-01-08 5:48 AM

Pessac, Aquitaine
Hello all of you! I am really a beginner, without all the fancy gear and gadgets. I have running shoes and a chronometer, that's it. I actually got my bike stolen recently too, so that's nice. I will buy a new one in the first days of February, which is also when I start swimming. In the mean time, I run quite regularly. I am more interested in general fitness than competing. Any ideas of workouts I could try to dabble with cycling and swimming? 
2013-01-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4562104

New user

Chester, Va.

1. I do not currently own a heart rate monitor. I have been thinking about getting one but I haven't made the purchase yet.

2. I currently own a Fuji Aloha 2.0 Triathlon bike. It is set up for racing with clip in pedals, aero bars, etc. And yes I have more than a few stories about forgetting to unclip my shoes before stopping. And a few minor scrapes to remind me. lol  No I do not have a name for the bike.

3. I use any kind of running shoe that is comfortable. I have ran with New Balance, Nike, etc. I am currently running on a pair of Under Armour running shoes which I have to say are probably one of the best pair of shoes I have had in a while. I have had them for almost a year so it is about time to invest in a new pair, but I will probably wait until spring.

2013-01-09 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4567786

User image

Veteran

I've never seen Under Armour shoes before - didn't know that they made those.

As I read up and research shoes, I am looking more into the Altra brand zero-drop shoes. I have - since my last knee surgery - made changes to my gait including:

shorter strides

higher cadence

slight forward lean

So, the purpose of making those changes was to protect my knees. I've never been a heel-striker, but I am just trying to reduce the running stress on my knees to protect what little cartilage I have left. I have heard that the zero-drop shoes go hand-in-hand with these types of gait changes.

Mike, I did your bike workout and liked it a lot. If you could send me more of those, I'd have a few to do in rotation. My email is melissaannfield at yahoo dot com.

Short pool workouts this week and running. I need to get on the trainer today and tomorrow, because we are going out of town next week.

Enjoy your training, everyone!

2013-01-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4569570

User image

It might take some time to adapt to zero-drop shoes, varies from person to person and what kind of shoes you normally run in.  What has worked great for me is to gradually rotate to the new shoes.  Run shorter runs in the new shoes for awhile then start using them for more challenging runs, etc. until you're completely comfortable running in zero-drop shoes.    Its pretty easy to get injured by running on tight/sore calves.

2013-01-10 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4569570

New user

Chester, Va.

Melissa,

Yea I actually found them at Dicks sporting goods. I was looking for some Asics or New Balance and came across these. I didn't know they made them either until then. But they have alot of cushion in the heel which is good for me. 

I saw a video one time on proper running and it sounds like you have changed into the style that they were promoting. I'm not sure how I look when I run or what my cadence is. I just try to run at a pace that I can sustain for the distances I am running ( slower on long runs and faster on shorter runs). I am just trying to work my way back up to the 10k distance since I haven't ran it in a couple of years.

By the way, what is a zero drop shoe.

2013-01-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4571410

User image

Veteran

Tony, I just recently listened to a podcast interview with the person who founded Altra shoes, and they lay claim to this zero drop design. It just means that there is no difference in the sole thickness between the toe and the heel. Normal running shoes have a thicker layer of padding under the heel.

KenL, that's a good idea to slowly break them in. I am curious to see how my calves will feel with these because I do have very tight calves at times.

Thanks Mike for the bike workouts!! I better get busy on the bike nowLaughing

2013-01-10 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4571593

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

I wish I heard Ken' advice a few months ago.  I went to an almost zero drop shoe with no transition time and am still in pain.   I ran a Half Ironman and two weeks later ran a half marathon in the new shoes.......It's two months and I still ache when I run any great distance. I've been stretching and taking it easy on the evening run with the dog. I am really looking forward to easing back into distance.

Please--how can i get a copy of the Mike Bike Workout?

**they officially change my February race. I was supposed to be an olympic distance, but the rights were sold to MIami-Tri events and they changed the format to a 2575. 

here is the link: www.2575sandpiperbay.com

2013-01-11 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4569614

That is where I am at this last week and half.. Tight sore calves which have led to a tight and sore Achilles tendon.. I am so not happy with myself for over doing the training. I got in a good bike ride today it is just putting me behind on the run part. I actually got really good advice from my dentist, he does tri's on a regular basis he told me to just remember to have fun and just make it to the end for the first one. I took that to heart and will use that to get through my race in April.
2013-01-13 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Melissa - I would be very careful with the zero drop shoes.  Especially if you already have tight calves.  Last year I got the bright idea to try and transition to some low drop shoes.  I actually built very slowly I would run around the block less than .5 mi in new low drop shoes then change to regular shoes and finish run.  I took several months to build my run up to 3mi in low drop shoes and still ended up straining my achilles.  As soon as I went back to old shoes problem went away.  I have a history of tight calves which give me problems when I really push it on the bike.  So all that being said I think the zero drop shoes are ok for some people but not for others.  So be careful with them.  

Got first workouts in this week after about 2 weeks off due to catching the flu.  I ran 3mi Thursday and ran 3mi again Saturday with my wrestlers that were needing to make weight for second day of tournament Saturday.  Rode bike on the trainer this morning for a little over an hour.  It sure feels great to get back to training! 

2013-01-13 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Anybody looking for good bike workouts check out the Winter cycling program they have here at BT.  Go to programs and you can get it on the free site.  You will need to have HR monitor or power meter.  I use the HR program and it is great.  The workouts will really kick your butt.
2013-01-14 5:01 AM
in reply to: #4576390

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

good morning my Northern friends.... i am considering purchasing a bike trainer. can anyone recommend one or what do you use and what was your criteria when making that decision?  thanks for any input.

2013-01-14 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Terry

I know that there is a lot of different thoughts on bike trainers.  I'm sure some of the expensive fluid trainers like Cyclops and Kurt Kentic are very nice and some day when my current trainer wears out I might consider purchasing one.  But for the time being I have a Giant Mag trainer that cost me about $140 new.  It has lasted me a little over 2 seasons with no problems and I use my trainer about half of my riding time so I use the trainer about 80-90 hours a year.  People say the mag trainers are a lot louder than the fluids but it doesn't bother me the way I have my work out center set up.  I have my bike trainer set up with my lap top on a tall bar stool in front of bike.  I use headphones on my laptop and watch Netflixs, DVD's or Sufferfest videos.

2013-01-14 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I got a 3mi run in this morning in about 15 degree temp which is pretty cold for Oklahoma.  Workouts are sure tough for me to get in during wrestling season.  I have about 1.5 months of wrestling season left than time for training will free up.
2013-01-14 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4576949

New user

Colorado

Weather in the negatives here well into the early to mid-morning so focusing on treadmill, bike with trainer and pool time.  Awaiting Swim Smooth DVDs which I guess ship from UK. 

I also bought a road bike off ebay.  I went to my LBS and got fitted and discussed how I could use the road bike instead of investing in a tri bike right off.  I bought a new 2012 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra compact 54cm for $800, listed retail is $1250.  So I think I got a good deal.  Then I will take it to the LBS to get fitted for aero bars and a forward seat post.  There are also cheaper trainers on ebay that I am looking out for.  eBay is awesome!

2013-01-14 2:08 PM

New user

Colorado
For those talking about the zero drop shoes I would suggest looking into chi running first and learn the techniques which will lessen the impact on the calf.  I have used Vibrams and Newtons after Chi Running seminar and didn't have any problems.  Cut 3 minutes off my 5K as well after the class and 5Ks here always include a small mountain!
2013-01-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4577910

New user

Colorado
So I just got a Super Magneto Protrainer for $150 shipped and slightly demoed.  Retail price $400.  Anyone interested should check out bikeorboard on eBay.  Has excellent rating from buyers.  Anyone have suggestions on aerobars, particularly clip ons?
2013-01-14 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I had experienced some knee pain earlier in the week on a run and at one of my basketball games (I officiate high school ball) and was a little concerned.  I had knee surgery in Nov 2010 to repair a torn meniscus and they told me I should give up running.  I have cartilage in my left knee but it is not smooth.  Well, I came back slowly in 2011 with limited running but 2012 was back to normal with my first Ironman and a follow up marathon.  I was thinking is this the beginning of the end as they predicted?  I did no extra running last week other than my games on Thu & Sat.  Some slight discomfort at times but not the pain I had on Tue.  Then yesterday I felt kind of an achey feeling in my leg from the knee down.  Not exactly sure what is going on.  I will keep biking and swimming and doing my games, Tue, Fri, Sat this week and see how it goes.   

Terry - I have only had my CycleOps Fluid trainer.  I like the resistance and stability.  It is quiet enough I can bike in the family room while watching TV with my wife.  I know a lot of folks in my tri club have the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and are happy with that as well.  I personally don't know anyone that uses a magnetic trainer.  Noise and "feel" were my primary concerns.  

Zero drop and minimalist running shoes - I know some who swear by them, others who have tried and gotten injured.  Personally, I have done some research and while I agree with some of the concepts, I just don't think they are are something I am willing to try.  As has been mentioned it is a fairly major change so go slowly.    

I run outside pretty much all winter provided the footing is OK.  I have gone up to 5 miles in -25 wind chill.  If you dress properly, it can be done comfortably.  I just am not a treadmill fan but understand running outside in below freezing temps is not for everyone. 

Emile - I used Jorge's BT bike plans with HR the last 2 winters and agree his plans are very good. 

Laurie - Great to hear you got a bike.  I have used Profile Design Airstryke on my first bike and then their T2 aluminum and now carbon T2 Plus on my current bike.  Some people have wrist troubles with S-bend bars like the T2s but I had no issues after a short adjustment period.  Aluminum should be fine for you.  They also have some short aero bars which are ITU compliant.   

2013-01-15 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Laurie - Congrats on the bike!  The clip ons I used on my road bike was Vision-Tech Mini's and I really liked them.  With the shortie bars like the Vision-Tech there is no need to change a road bike fit or use a foward seat post.

Got up this morning and did about an hour on the trainer.  I finished up watching the movie Savages while I was riding.  I hope everybody is having a good week of training.

2013-01-16 6:29 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Mike - How is the knee feeling?  My hip that I hurt during wrestling practice started hurting a little yesterday.  I got up and ran 3mi this morning.  It felt pretty good during the run but the real test will be what it feels like the rest of the day.
2013-01-17 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
How is everybodys training going?
2013-01-18 3:40 AM
in reply to: #4583637

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Training so far is going well for me. I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week for strength training and regularly swimming on Tuesday and Thursday evening. In February I'll begin more formal  training with the bike (still deciding on trainers). and ease back into running.  My left foot is still a little sore but felt fine during last weeks race.

The overall getting the rust out is going well, flexibility coming back and definitely need to do more cardio work.

I'm looking to do a 70.3 in May - and debating a full 140.6 in October- the Great Floridian Triathlon -or at least the aqua bike (swim, bike portion).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21