BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-01-23 12:10 AM
in reply to: #4552962

User image

Harare
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED
As my training ramps up, I'm working on managing my time to diminish time away from family. Today my plan called for 45 minutes of easy spinning on the bike, so I decided to ride my mountain bike to and from work (~55 minutes total). Does anyone have thoughts on what the drawbacks might be of this substitution? I know it's best to be as specific as possible, but I can't take my road bike to work because of the poor road conditions. The advantage is that my heart rate probably stays within Z 1/2 on my bike, whereas when I drive it spikes up to zone 5 due to road rage

2013-01-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4589097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Phaethon - 2013-01-22 9:25 AM Oh, I should add Im flying in from Michigan. ..

tribiketransport.com

I used them to fly to Idaho for IMCDA from Philly.  Couldn't have been easier.

2013-01-23 5:09 PM

Good news - rest helped my foot a lot. Ready to start running again.

Bad news - sprained my thumb swimming. (Popped someone on the skull when she came out of her flip turn.) Won't affect training, but it still hurts.

2013-01-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4591195

Regular
japewang - 2013-01-23 12:53 PM

Phaethon - 2013-01-22 9:25 AM Oh, I should add Im flying in from Michigan. ..

tribiketransport.com

I used them to fly to Idaho for IMCDA from Philly.  Couldn't have been easier.

Thanks Jeremy!

2013-01-24 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Good news, got in 3 good days in a row.   Hopefully I can get my workout session (some strength training) in tonight before my other commitments.  The weekend is right around the corner.  Hope everyone's weeks are going well.
2013-01-24 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Ugh.  All your training makes me jealous.  I've had a wicked head cold all week. Hoping to get a short run in today to ease back into it.

2013-01-24 10:57 PM

User image

So I have been working on my training log. I was wondering how I can make it visible to just our group? I have it visible to only friends, but how do I add friends? I also am having trouble with the nutrition log. I am using a different website to track calories, and just wanted to import the calories I eat each day into this log, but I can't figure out how. Frankly, I can't figure out how to even add a meal on this log, which is why I went a different route figuring out calories, etc. 

I have my longest bike ride to date coming up this weekend, but it is going to rain from Friday night till Sunday night, so looks like I am riding in the rain. I have never done that before, any suggestions or tips? Still no running, but I have had 2 great days in the pool this week.

2013-01-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4593846

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Laura, to add friends you can go to your training log and along the left hand side as you scroll down you will see the heading "Friends" and to the right of that is a little blue "+". Press the + and it will take you to the spot where you can add friends. Fill in the names and don't forget  to hit the "Update Friends" button after you've filled in the names.

2013-01-26 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

I hope everyone's training is going well. I had to roll back a bit this week for a couple of reasons. One was that the heater for the pool water at our local YMCA failed this week. Tuesday's swim was in 69 degree water, but overnight the water temp dropped and they closed to pool until they can get it fixed.

Also it was text week at the Kung Fu school where I have been training and the black belts worked us pretty hard this week on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I only ran training runs Sunday and Wednesday this week.

I did run in race 3 of the Frosty Fun Run series this morning, and felt pretty good. 5.5 miles in about 47:09. I tried to keep my heart rate below 160 during the race to save for the almost half mile hill to the finish.

I'm a bit past the half way point in training for a 10 mile race I'm doing on March 2nd. Then I'll taper before picking back up for my first half marathon in May.

2013-01-27 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I only got one run in this week as I was laid up sick most of the week and then had a 12 hour workday yesterday.  Excited to hopefully get a double in to day.
2013-01-27 4:10 PM

Regular
Hi all, just touching base. The weather here in Michigan is in the 20's; I will be soooo happy when milder weather gets here, it will be nice to run outside again. I want to try out these legs on real ground! I do everything inside, lungs aren't too partial to cold air. This weekend I biked 36 and ran 3.5 on Saturday, ran 11.5 miles and biked an easy 9.5 on Sunday. Hope everyone is having a nice winter! Or summer, if you are in the southern hemisphere

2013-01-28 1:32 AM

User image

Harare

Hi All, Hope you had productive, activity-filled weekends. It looks like lots of people got some good miles in, even if you were stuck indoors.

Here in Southern Africa the weather has been beautiful, so I got to do a nice long jog with my son in the jogging stroller, my first ride over 40ks in a while, and some good time in the pool. I'm starting to figure out how to balance the increased training load with spending family time. Yesterday we had a brunch at our friend's, so I cycled over, took it somewhat easy on the quiche and bacon, and then cycled home the long way for a nice relaxed 25kms total.

Happy Monday, and good luck with next week's trainings!

-Dan

2013-01-28 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Looks like everyone is doing well on the training.

I had a decent week last week, and got a bit more consistency going.  3 runs and one bike session.  Hopefully I can build on that this week and get in some good consistent training.

HM in 4 weeks.

I guess it's time to start planning the race season.  What races does everyone have planned so far for this year?

Besides a couple of HM this spring and one OLY Tri in August, I'm still trying to fill in the remainder of my schedule.

2013-01-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4597428

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
pilotzs - 2013-01-28 5:59 AM

I guess it's time to start planning the race season.  What races does everyone have planned so far for this year?

Besides a couple of HM this spring and one OLY Tri in August, I'm still trying to fill in the remainder of my schedule.

I'm running in a race series almost every Saturday morning through the second week of March. Most of the races are between 4 and 5.5 miles. On March 2nd I'll be running in my first 10 mile race. On March 16th I'm running in a 5k fundraiser for my daughter's school. Then I taper before training for my first half Marathon on May 5th.

Right now I have 3 tri's on my schedule; my first Olympic distance on June 2nd, and then 2 Sprints later in the year on consecutive weekends Sept 1st and Sept 8th.

I was hoping to do Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens in July, but it looks like a wedding and a 30 year anniversary party that will both require travel will step on those plans. Maybe next year for my first HIM.

One of the pastors at our church asked us to be on a team with him for Muckfest MS (mud/obstacle course fundraiser) run in October. So that will be a new experience this year too.

I might squeeze in one or two more races in there but that is my schedule for now.

2013-01-28 5:41 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Last week wasnt the best for my training.  Busy few days but still no excuse but laziness.  Got a decent run in on Sunday.  had some hills in it which killed me.  Living on the coast where its completely flat makes any rise in the road a challenge.  We started off at a decent pace, just didnt hold it for the last few for me.  I did get to the gym and lift and swim this morning- I am much better if I start the week off right.  I am pretty slow in the pool right now but I dont have a tri until March and its only a 300 pool swim so I am not too worried about it.  I have a HM in 3 weeks then will switch it up to more tri training.   I am doing a 5K on saturday, trying to break 24 min,  not sure if that will happen but I am going to give it my all.  I should be running 12 instead but...

I have a pretty long list of races  but havent signed up for them all yet.  I am still not sure of the HIM again but have some time to decide. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Paula

2013-01-28 11:39 PM

User image

So I have everyone in the group added to see my training log. So I have been looking at the course maps/elevations and getting a little nervous. I am having one of those days where I can't believe I signed up for a HIM. 

So I am still not running. I am going to give it at least another week. In the mean time, should I add more biking or more swimming to "substitute" the training time I am missing in the running?

Also, I am in need of some tips for how to ride downhill on the bike. I did Red Rock Canyon in December and reached 35 mph on the downhill, I was pretty scared and I rode the brake the whole time. Other than more practice, any tips for how to ride the downhill? The last 10 miles of my HIM is downhill. 

Hope everyone is doing well and have a great week!

2013-01-29 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4599015

User image

Expert
Alabama
lalusp - 2013-01-28 11:39 PM

So I have everyone in the group added to see my training log. So I have been looking at the course maps/elevations and getting a little nervous. I am having one of those days where I can't believe I signed up for a HIM. 

So I am still not running. I am going to give it at least another week. In the mean time, should I add more biking or more swimming to "substitute" the training time I am missing in the running?

Also, I am in need of some tips for how to ride downhill on the bike. I did Red Rock Canyon in December and reached 35 mph on the downhill, I was pretty scared and I rode the brake the whole time. Other than more practice, any tips for how to ride the downhill? The last 10 miles of my HIM is downhill. 

If you are cycling 3 times a week, then you could probably add in another session to compensate for the running.  You don't want to overdo it though and wear your legs out by trying to compensate.  Nothing will make up for pounding the pavement, but you can add a bike session, maybe a swim session to get the aerobic activity.  You can also consider pool running, as I've heard of several people doing it to compensate for running while injured.

Looked up the bike elevation for St. George.  Looks like it's pretty much downhill.  Seems there will be a difference between downhill, and descending.   There are probably some downhill slopes that you would be able to feel comfortable and hammer it.  If it's more technical and long descents, then make sure you practice before the race in getting more comfortable, as you will have other racers around you.  If you are doing more descending, then here are a couple good articles:

http://bicycling.com/blogs/ramblingman/2012/02/03/descending-into-confidence/

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/6-keys-mastering-descents

2013-01-30 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
lalusp - 2013-01-28 11:39 PM

Laura,

I'd be concerned about you being under trained as you head into your 70.3.  St. George is not an easy course.  Refresh my memory, but are you following a dedicated plan?  If so, are you hitting all your volumes for the swim and bike?  Looking at your logs, your swim looks good, but your bike looks a bit light.  You still have a really good chunk of time to get solid training in, but you're at the point where you're  looking at 3 - 4wk build/peak cycles and a taper and its important for you to be hitting your workouts.  Have you done any water jogging to try and keep run fitness up since you're not running?

2013-01-31 5:26 AM

User image

Harare

I'm thinking about doing a low-key pool tri this weekend. I know it's early in my training (end of week 2 of BT Beginner HIM program), but I felt like I had a good base to begin with and this sounds like a fun, inexpensive race. I'd still do all my training for the weekend, but on Sunday instead of an hour bike and 30 minute run, I'd do a 750 m swim (~18 minutes), 20k bike (~40 minutes), and 5 k run (~24 minutes). I won't push too hard, but I want to mix things up a bit and there won't be any local races for a while. Think there is any drawback to this?

2013-01-31 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4602355

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Danielfberlin - 2013-01-31 3:26 AM

I'm thinking about doing a low-key pool tri this weekend. I know it's early in my training (end of week 2 of BT Beginner HIM program), but I felt like I had a good base to begin with and this sounds like a fun, inexpensive race. I'd still do all my training for the weekend, but on Sunday instead of an hour bike and 30 minute run, I'd do a 750 m swim (~18 minutes), 20k bike (~40 minutes), and 5 k run (~24 minutes). I won't push too hard, but I want to mix things up a bit and there won't be any local races for a while. Think there is any drawback to this?

I say go for it and have a good time! Anytime a fun local race comes up I try to do them. Just be sure to give yourself some time to recover after.

A recent experience of mine along those lines:

I've been trying to build for a 10 mile race in March but I have been running smaller local races almost every Saturday morning. This past Saturday was a 5.5 mile race. I went into it thinking "I'll just run easy since this is my scheduled long run". Well I got caught up in the "race" mindset and went harder than the planned easy pace. Then on my next scheduled training run I found that I hadn't had enough recovery yet. There was some soreness and discomfort in my legs left over from that hard effort.

You know yourself better than anyone else can. Listen to your body afterward and adjust your training for more recovery if needed.

This could be an opportunity to try something new in transition that you normally don't do, just to see how it feels in a "race" situation. You might get more benefit from doing the race, than you would have by following your scheduled training.

2013-02-01 2:05 PM

New user

Airdrie, Scotland
lalusp - 2013-01-29 5:39 AM

I'm with you on this one Laura. I'm suffering a calf strain. Tried my first run on Sunday after resting it for a full two weeks and felt it tighten after about 3/4 of a mile. Decided to see a physio who says I've done the right thing by resting, it's not too bad and that I need to go back for two further treatments. There was just something about him, I think he's a money grabber. I got a more thorough  treatment from someone else in his company a couple of years ago when I had a similar injury. I going to get in touch with some people to see if I can find someone I will trust.

I'm still swimming and cycling. I did an hour swimming this morning and 90 mins on the turbo trainer this afternnon. Meat Loaf said, Two out of three ain't bad" but I don't think that helps much here. Wink

Does anyone here use Trigger Point foam rollers? I bought one this week and used it for the first time. Body felt great afer it . I wondered if anyone could give advice on frequency of use etc.

2013-02-01 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4604740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Clairaig - 2013-02-01 2:05 PM
lalusp - 2013-01-29 5:39 AM

I'm with you on this one Laura. I'm suffering a calf strain. Tried my first run on Sunday after resting it for a full two weeks and felt it tighten after about 3/4 of a mile. Decided to see a physio who says I've done the right thing by resting, it's not too bad and that I need to go back for two further treatments. There was just something about him, I think he's a money grabber. I got a more thorough  treatment from someone else in his company a couple of years ago when I had a similar injury. I going to get in touch with some people to see if I can find someone I will trust.

I'm still swimming and cycling. I did an hour swimming this morning and 90 mins on the turbo trainer this afternnon. Meat Loaf said, Two out of three ain't bad" but I don't think that helps much here. Wink

Does anyone here use Trigger Point foam rollers? I bought one this week and used it for the first time. Body felt great afer it . I wondered if anyone could give advice on frequency of use etc.

I do!  I use the grid and I have a TP massage ball.  I use it usually 3 times a week.  When I was training for IM I used it almost every day.

2013-02-03 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

What's everyone got going on today?  Going to sneak some training in before the super bowl?

I hope to.  I have church and then I have to go into work for a couple of hours.  Then if I can sneak in a trainer ride before the SB it will be a good day.  

2013-02-03 8:30 AM

I think you could do a heck of a lot of training just during the pregame shows!

Today, I did a spin class. HR around 160 for about a third of the class, which is close to my max.

My foot is coming around from the fasciitis, and I'll start running 15 mins this week. The soleus stretch and the gastroc stretch on this pdf helped me a lot.

2013-02-03 3:35 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I had hopes of bringing the bike inside and setting up the trainer today but I am very comfy on the couch right now. My hubby and I ran a 5 k yesterday and we both PR and podiumed. A good day for the Rock house. I had mixed emotions about it though. I died the last half mile ( was on a trail) and got passed in the last .1 mile to drop me to 4th woman overall. I did however place first in the Masters division. I will take the first but that means admitting that I am OLD! On a happy note my daughter said that. " when I get big I want to run fast like you Mommy". Melts my heart!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9