BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-10 6:06 AM
in reply to: #4736071

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Dang Beasties, what's up with all the blisters??  I can usually get by if I can wrap them tightly with a BandAid, but I usually get them on my toes.  Seems stupid to waste training time waiting for a silly blister to heal, but sometimes that's what you gotta do!

2013-05-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4724462

User image

Expert
Missouri

Here's a little more about me:

NAME: soccermom15/Janet

STORY: I took up running about 7 years ago. I was feeling lazy, sluggish and all those things that come with getting older.  I volunteered at a local sprint triathlon just to see what it was about and decided that someday I wanted to try one.  Started with the running because I knew it would be the hardest for me to pick up.  Stuck with just running for about 3 years – did 5k’s, 10k’s, a couple of HM’s – then decided it was time to add the swimming and biking.  I did my first sprint in May of 2009.  I’ve done a couple since then although the 2 that I did last year I DNF’d both of them.  My training just wasn’t where it needed to be.  So I’ve got 2 planned for this year also and so far the training is going better (helps to have Hilde checking up on meSmile). 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 23 years, 2 kids – one boy, one girl – both in college

CURRENT TRAINING PLANS: I’m using a BT plan that so far has worked pretty well for me.  I’ve been able to stick with it
for the most part and have seen improvements in both my swimming and biking. 

2013 RACES: My 2013 races so far include Gateway sprint on May 19th and Alligator’s Creek (the local one I originally volunteered at) on Aug 11th.  I’m also doing the Tour de Cure bike ride on June 1st – the 30 mile ride.  I’ll probably also add in a couple of running races for the fall – need to check the schedules and see what works for me. 

Season Goals: Finish both tris and the 30 mile bike ride.  I have some time goals for the tri’s but they’re secondary to just finishing.  I’ve also been trying to break 30’ for a 5k for a couple of years and haven’t been able to do it – PR is 30:08 – so I’d like to do that this fall if possible.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’d be happy if I could lose about 10 pounds although it’s not really a priority for me.

2013-05-10 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

So the wetsuit that I rented for my tri on the 19th arrived yesterday.  Haven't tried it on yet but if it's the same as the one I rented 3 years ago it should fit pretty well.  I was hoping to get in a practice OWS tomorrow morning but it's at the same time as the foam roller clinic that I signed up for at the LRS.  There's another OWS practice next Saturday (local tri club does them every Sat in May and June to prepare for a tri in July) so I'll make sure I get to that one.  I checked the extended forecast and it looks like the weather may just cooperate on the 19th.  I hope so - I've raced in the rain before but I don't really enjoy it. 

2013-05-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4736427

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
soccermom15 - 2013-05-10 9:45 AM

CURRENT TRAINING PLANS: I’m using a BT plan that so far has worked pretty well for me.  I’ve been able to stick with it for the most part and have seen improvements in both my swimming and biking. 

Hello! Sounds like you have a great season planned. Which BT pan are ou using? I started with a plan I adapted quit a bit into my own thing but want to try something else for my next tri... I like the idea of improving my biking and swimming. 

I listened to a really good podcast this morning on heart-rate training & how you can use it to increse your speed on the run.

Now I finally (think I) understand about HR training- he made a lot of sense about training a lot in zone 2, a little in zone 4 and very little in zone 3 and explained how this would build your speed. Now I just need a HR monitor. Im dreaming of a Garmin but thats all its going to be for a while- a dream. For now my iPhone works pretty well for speed/distance and the podcast said you can get a chest strap type HR monitor for around $35 so I may check that out. 

2013-05-10 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Blisters - I can almost count on getting a blister if I wear old socks.  It sounds silly, but it is something about the material on the inside of the sock that goes awry and that little bit of pilling rubs a raw spot. 

Gadgets? - Melody mentioned tracking running distance on her Iphone.  I may be the only person in the free world that hasn't gone over to the iphone - still have an Android.  Do any of you use particular apps for running (or biking for that matter) that are helpful?

I am headed out of town for a 5 mile race tomorrow morning.  It looks like beautiful weather.  The race is all women - expecting about 5,000 - so it should be a fun mix.  Sunday for Mother's Day we have horse races at our local fairgrounds.  It is a very off route track with a lot of untried horses so it can be a little wild at times, but it is still live horse racing and betting.  I enjoy going - sitting in the sun, watching young horses prove themselves, watching young cowboys and cowgirls flirting, drinking a cold beer, spitting sunflower seeds and knowing that Dad is "on duty" because it is officially MY day!!  Have a great Mother's Day!!

2013-05-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4736899

User image

Expert
Missouri
jaykayjay - 2013-05-10 1:56 PM

Gadgets? - Melody mentioned tracking running distance on her Iphone.  I may be the only person in the free world that hasn't gone over to the iphone - still have an Android.  Do any of you use particular apps for running (or biking for that matter) that are helpful?

I am headed out of town for a 5 mile race tomorrow morning.  It looks like beautiful weather.  The race is all women - expecting about 5,000 - so it should be a fun mix.  Sunday for Mother's Day we have horse races at our local fairgrounds.  It is a very off route track with a lot of untried horses so it can be a little wild at times, but it is still live horse racing and betting.  I enjoy going - sitting in the sun, watching young horses prove themselves, watching young cowboys and cowgirls flirting, drinking a cold beer, spitting sunflower seeds and knowing that Dad is "on duty" because it is officially MY day!!  Have a great Mother's Day!!

I got you beat thereSmile.  Both my kids have iphones but me and DH both still have old fashioned flip phones.  We can call and text but that's about it.  I don't think his even takes pictures!  So no apps for meLaughing.  I do have a Garmin 305 that I use for running (and sometimes biking if I'm using the HRM) and a simple bike computer but that's about as technical as I get. 

Good luck with your race tomorrow!

2013-05-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4736501

User image

Expert
Missouri
Meljoypip - 2013-05-10 10:31 AM
soccermom15 - 2013-05-10 9:45 AM

CURRENT TRAINING PLANS: I’m using a BT plan that so far has worked pretty well for me.  I’ve been able to stick with it for the most part and have seen improvements in both my swimming and biking. 

Hello! Sounds like you have a great season planned. Which BT pan are ou using? I started with a plan I adapted quit a bit into my own thing but want to try something else for my next tri... I like the idea of improving my biking and swimming. 

I listened to a really good podcast this morning on heart-rate training & how you can use it to increse your speed on the run.

Now I finally (think I) understand about HR training- he made a lot of sense about training a lot in zone 2, a little in zone 4 and very little in zone 3 and explained how this would build your speed. Now I just need a HR monitor. Im dreaming of a Garmin but thats all its going to be for a while- a dream. For now my iPhone works pretty well for speed/distance and the podcast said you can get a chest strap type HR monitor for around $35 so I may check that out. 

It's the basic 12 week sprint plan using HR.  Lots of time spent in Zone 2 (once I figured out exactly what that was supposed to be for me).  I don't always wear the monitor but it when I do it helps to keep me from going too hard or too fast - or even too slow, sometimes I don't push myself hard enough.  I think between that and just being more consistent with my workouts - 3-4 days of biking and more than once a week in the pool - has helped me see improvements.  At least I feel like I've been improving - I guess we'll find out for sure on the 19th!

Edited by soccermom15 2013-05-10 2:13 PM
2013-05-10 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
jaykayjay - 2013-05-10 1:56 PM

Blisters - I can almost count on getting a blister if I wear old socks.  It sounds silly, but it is something about the material on the inside of the sock that goes awry and that little bit of pilling rubs a raw spot. 

I WAS wearing older socks!!!! 

The app I use for running & on my bike is Run Keeper- I had a cycling one downloaded but it was just easier to use the one app.

(I strap my phone to the handlebars with my armband) (by the way is it acceptable to do that for a race?

I use the BT one to log my workouts if I am not by a computer

and I use My Fitness Pal to log my food- it has really helped me loose a few pounds. I am meljoypip MFP too if anyone is on there and wants to friend me.

The races both sound like a ton of fun!!! Hope you have a great day!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-10 2:32 PM
2013-05-10 4:04 PM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
I use map my ride or you can get map my run. Same company the ride version allows you to save the activity as whatever sport prior to starting. It works well. I also use strava for cycling. If you live in an area that has a lot of users you can race a set route against other users. Points for sprints and hills or whatever a person sets as a segment. I also use the 310xt. And my Astrala cateye 8 bike computer pretty basic but very accurate. As do using your phone for a race likely no issue as long as you don't have ear buds in.
2013-05-10 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran

I also have a flip phone and DH doesn't have a cell.  I do have a garmin 405 (I think).  Before that I used mapmyrun and a timex.

2013-05-10 6:04 PM

User image

New user
jaykayjay - 2013-05-11 2:56 AM

i prefer NOT using socks at all but for long runs, my shoes gets all wet and squishy so i have to wear them

apps you might want to check out runtastic:  www.runtastic.com/en/apps

good luck on your race

2013-05-10 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Does anyone have a race this weekend?

My first timer training was canceled due ot anticipated bad weather Frown But I was really glad to find out before we drove all the way down there. 

2013-05-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4737273

User image

New user
Meljoypip - 2013-05-11 8:00 AM

My first timer training was canceled due ot anticipated bad weather Frown But I was really glad to find out before we drove all the way down there. 

too bad. 

anybody know about this? http://www.kiefer.com/kiefer-safer-swimmer-buoy-products-279.php
it might help when i go OWS, any ideas?  or any DIY ideas?

2013-05-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: #4737331

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
oldSAP - 2013-05-10 9:20 PM
Meljoypip - 2013-05-11 8:00 AM

too bad. 

anybody know about this? http://www.kiefer.com/kiefer-safer-swimmer-buoy-products-279.php
it might help when i go OWS, any ideas?  or any DIY ideas?

I've been thinking about that same product for OWS as I will likely swim solo at times. I know people saw don't do it but I can't always have some one there.  A product like this would help for piece of mind and you could put the Garmin inside and track the swim. 

2013-05-11 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Definitely NOT a good idea to OWS alone. Having someone on the shore to keep an eye out is one thing, but going totally solo is dangerous even for strong swimmers, buoy or no. I am fortunate that I live so close to Lake Erie and that our local tri club has weekly group swims, but if that weren't the case, I would either take someone with me or stick with the pool. 

Melody, bummer that your training session was cancelled. The weather seems to be taking a turn for the worse across the country right now. 

Leaving for my 5K race in just a bit. It's 45 (7 Celcius) and "spitting," but I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's for a good cause (to raise $ for the family of a young man who died during a local tri last year). 

Edited by arquillo 2013-05-11 6:51 AM
2013-05-11 7:04 AM

User image

Regular
Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers in this group-enjoy your day!!

2013-05-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4737589

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
arquillo - 2013-05-11 6:51 AM

Definitely NOT a good idea to OWS alone. Having someone on the shore to keep an eye out is one thing, but going totally solo is dangerous even for strong swimmers, buoy or no. I am fortunate that I live so close to Lake Erie and that our local tri club has weekly group swims, but if that weren't the case, I would either take someone with me or stick with the pool. 

Melody, bummer that your training session was cancelled. The weather seems to be taking a turn for the worse across the country right now. 

Leaving for my 5K race in just a bit. It's 45 (7 Celcius) and "spitting," but I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's for a good cause (to raise $ for the family of a young man who died during a local tri last year). 

I am jealous- I want a local tri club that does weekly OW swims!!! Lake Erie rang a bell- I grew up in MI- the suburbs of Detroit 

Hope you stay warm and have a GREAT race!!! That is a good cause- During a tri? What happened to the young man?

Its 60F and beautiful with birds singing here (7am) I am drinking coffee & about to head out on bike, the rain chance spikes to 80% by 10am or so...

2013-05-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4737596

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

joes - 2013-05-11 7:04 AM Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers in this group-enjoy your day!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

2013-05-11 9:06 AM

New user

Hey Everyone!

Sorry, I have been so out of the loop.  I've been feeling under the weather.  I am going to get back to it today.  I have a pool swim in a couple of hours.  Should be fun even if it is an overcast morning.  Also on the docket - I am going to try to get my bike into the shop for a tune up.  I was having some issues with my derailer and my boyfriend did some adjusting.  Unfortunately, it is worse now.  It is like gear roulette.  I never know what I am going to get when I try to change gears.  It makes a workout interesting, but less than ideal.

Have a great weekend!

2013-05-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4737599

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Meljoypip - 2013-05-11 8:11 AM
arquillo - 2013-05-11 6:51 AM

I am jealous- I want a local tri club that does weekly OW swims!!! Lake Erie rang a bell- I grew up in MI- the suburbs of Detroit 

Hope you stay warm and have a GREAT race!!! That is a good cause- During a tri? What happened to the young man?

Its 60F and beautiful with birds singing here (7am) I am drinking coffee & about to head out on bike, the rain chance spikes to 80% by 10am or so...

Like so most of the deaths in our sport, it happened during the swim. Part of the proceeds from today's race are going to the Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation, so I'm guessing that's what they determined as the cause. Very sad. His wife and his older daughter (6-years old??) were right in front of me at the starting line. They seemed to be in genuinely good spirits, which was heartening to see.
2013-05-11 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Good luck at your race today, Michele! Go kick some butt!

My Mother's Day gift is 2 rest days over the weekend on my training schedule, woohoo!!  It's purely coincidental but I'll take it! 

Hope all you other mother beasties have a nice day tomorrow!!

2013-05-11 9:32 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee

OK! I think I finally get to sit still for five minutes and catch up on the Beastliness!! Welcome to all our new members and hello to the returning Beasties! I got in a good solid 36 mile ride this morning, followed by a short run off the bike to get those legs in RUN mode! Went to a local arts and crafts festival with my partner, then got our flower bed weeded and planted wildflowers, lilies, sunflowers and lantana bushes. Beautiful day here in Middle TN and our first rain free weekend in 3 weeks! Here's a formula for any of our members who are new to HR training and are trying to figure out their zones.

Take 220-your age, this will give you your Max HR. (you can add an extra 5 BPM, if you are already in good aerobic condition.) Then multiply that number by percentages to get your ranges.

EXAMPLE: I am 45 years old, so 220-45=175. I am fairly well conditioned so my Max HR is 180

180x 50%=90

180x 60%=108

180x70%=126

Etc, up to your Max HR. You can then find different formulas to establish your zones. I use the Karvonen formula. I spend most of my time in Zone 2,3 or 5. I tend to swim in high Zone 2 to low Zone 3, any more intense and I freak out because I feel I can't breathe. In cycling I stay in Zone 3 practically all the time, I call this my cruising altitude. Occasionally I venture in to Zone 4 when hill climbing. Running I spend most of my time in high Zone 3 to low Zone 4. I have also recently started studying Metabolic Efficiency Training to teach my body to access and burn the unlimited supply of fat to provide fuel for my workouts and races. Our stores of glycogen are limited to approximately 2000 calories of energy that is stored in skeletal muscle and our liver. Our fat stores, even for lean folks are unlimited. I've been doing very well with increasing the good fats in my diet and eliminating sugars and starchy carbs. So far I'm down 10 lbs and my energy level is thru the roof. I also have an easier time fueling my workouts. Sorry to blather on, I'm a total triathlon,physiology and bike geek!! I hope the heart rate info helps! Happy Training Beasties!

2013-05-11 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4738240

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
shadow67 - 2013-05-11 9:32 PM

OK! I think I finally get to sit still for five minutes and catch up on the Beastliness!! Welcome to all our new members and hello to the returning Beasties! I got in a good solid 36 mile ride this morning, followed by a short run off the bike to get those legs in RUN mode! Went to a local arts and crafts festival with my partner, then got our flower bed weeded and planted wildflowers, lilies, sunflowers and lantana bushes. Beautiful day here in Middle TN and our first rain free weekend in 3 weeks! Here's a formula for any of our members who are new to HR training and are trying to figure out their zones.

Take 220-your age, this will give you your Max HR. (you can add an extra 5 BPM, if you are already in good aerobic condition.) Then multiply that number by percentages to get your ranges.

EXAMPLE: I am 45 years old, so 220-45=175. I am fairly well conditioned so my Max HR is 180

180x 50%=90

180x 60%=108

180x70%=126

Etc, up to your Max HR. You can then find different formulas to establish your zones. I use the Karvonen formula. I spend most of my time in Zone 2,3 or 5. I tend to swim in high Zone 2 to low Zone 3, any more intense and I freak out because I feel I can't breathe. In cycling I stay in Zone 3 practically all the time, I call this my cruising altitude. Occasionally I venture in to Zone 4 when hill climbing. Running I spend most of my time in high Zone 3 to low Zone 4. I have also recently started studying Metabolic Efficiency Training to teach my body to access and burn the unlimited supply of fat to provide fuel for my workouts and races. Our stores of glycogen are limited to approximately 2000 calories of energy that is stored in skeletal muscle and our liver. Our fat stores, even for lean folks are unlimited. I've been doing very well with increasing the good fats in my diet and eliminating sugars and starchy carbs. So far I'm down 10 lbs and my energy level is thru the roof. I also have an easier time fueling my workouts. Sorry to blather on, I'm a total triathlon,physiology and bike geek!! I hope the heart rate info helps! Happy Training Beasties!

I am very interested in this!! BUT probably need to re-read in the morning as some of it is going right over my head right now Tongue out but I thought I had read that it was better to stay in zone 2? Maybe not, I'm still learning.

One thing, I need a heart rate monitor. I am saving up for clipless pedals and cleats right now (that I desperately need) so I need to get a HRM as cheaply as possible. I have been looking at some timex watch type models w/ a chest strap for around $40 on Amazon & eBay.....is this the best route to go (for cheap)?

I have been trying to increase healthy fats too, or I am at least not limiting them, and trying to eliminate sugar and gluten, eating mostly plant based. I HATE to count calories, but since I have been recording everything in My Fitness Pal, it helps me to be accountable and keep an eye on amounts. One thing though, how ever many calories they give me for exercise I half them. 

2013-05-12 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4738327

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

sdf

To all the Beastie Moms out there!  We celebrated yesterday, starting with a 5K in my neighborhood... my daughter didn't run, but my "daughter in law" (son's long time live in girlfriend) did!  And my 4 year old grandson did the Kids 1-mile Fun Run. That kid is FAST!!  I couldn't keep up with him, he took off like a rocket!  We ran a big rectangle, down about 4 blocks, over one, and back up 4 blocks to the finish.  I cut over at 3 blocks so I could meet up with him.  He was so cute, when we met up he says, "Do you want to hold hands?"... aw, we waited until the finish and I finally sent him across on his own.  The mile measured a little short, about .9 and he finished in 8:41 (a 9:40/mile pace!).  He ran the whole thing which was downhill halfway and uphill halfway!  Grandbaby Beast!  Hubby and son were supposed to run, but hubby ended up having to work for a couple of hours, and son was hung over... we got back to the house and hubby had a German style breakfast for us, mmmmmm, love me some Fruhstuck!  Cold cuts, cheese, butter, jelly, mustard, a soft boiled egg, juice and fresh fruit salad!  After breakfast was done and everyone was on their merry way, we went down to the Bloomin' Temple Festival (which the 5K was part of and we got free entry wrist bands in our race packets) and went to the car show, which had AWESOME old cars.  I had my first deep fried Oreo, and as wonderful as it sounded, it was actually nasty... Icky nasty poo poo nasty.  Then home for a couple of hours and then everyone was back to take Mom (ie ME) out to dinner at a nice local restaurant, mmmmmmm.  Even better, we were all done and I was in my fat girl clothes on the couch by 7:00!  Beautiful day!

I love that all you Beasties are starting to take care of each other!  It makes such a difference.  Now I know that it takes time to get to everyone's logs and leave an inspire... but if you could make the effort to check on everyone once a week, wow, that would be awesome! Remember, to GET inspires, you gotta GIVE 'em! 

Also, I find my mentees are really gung ho at the beginning of a mentor group and then I usually have some that totally disappear.... some temporarily, some permanently. I totally get that life happens, and maybe the commitment was more than you thought it would be or you find that the triathlon life is not for you.  Yes, it's HARD, but the rewards are sooo worth it, in my opinion.  In any case, if you know you're going to be gone for vacation, or you have a horrendously busy week and don't get to train, or you're dropping out of the group, PLEASE send me an inspire or PM to let me know.  I DO worry when I can't get in touch with you or know what's going on!! 

I also use My Fitness Pal to track what I'm eating (except when I'm eating fried Oreos..).  I find their exercise calories are hugely inflated, so I go by what BT tells me I've burned, it seems much  more reasonable....  And yes, Melody, any HR monitor should work, I have a cheapie that I use for OWS.  If you CAN afford a Garmin 305, it's well worth the money, it will work for runs and bikes and can tell you HR, pace, time, cadence, pretty much any kind of data you'd want, and it maps out your routes too!  You can set it to tell you your splits/laps (mine is set for each mile for running, and every 5 miles for biking, but I've even set it up for 1/4 miles when I'm doing speedwork intervals).  You find them refurbished on Ebay for pretty cheap (not as cheap as $40 though!).

As far as Heart Rate training, it can be demoralizing to feel like you are barely moving when you first start, but if you stick with it, you will find that you can run faster at a lower HR.  Unfortunately the 220 - age is not accurate, you need to do a Lactate Threshold test to determine your MAX heart rate.  BT has an excellent article and how to do the test here:

BT articleon Lactate Threshold Testing

I hope everone had a great Mother's day!!  Train on Beasties!!

2013-05-12 8:54 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee

"As far as Heart Rate training, it can be demoralizing to feel like you are barely moving when you first start, but if you stick with it, you will find that you can run faster at a lower HR.  Unfortunately the 220 - age is not accurate, you need to do a Lactate Threshold test to determine your MAX heart rate"

Hilde I'm going to try the LT testing during a shorter run later this week. I have always been so slow that I just slog out my runs and don't really focus on improving my LT. This may be a break thru training tip for me. Today is a LSD run, 10 miles, as soon as this blackberry winter day warms up a bit. Me and the furbabies gave my partner, IronSherpa Pinky, a mother's ring and breakfast in bed this morning. The ring had all their birthstones and their names engraved on it, including our sweet Shadow, who is at the Rainbow Bridge now. I tested a multi-hour bottle of fuel while on my bike ride yesterday. It consisted of 3 servings of Generation UCAN and two scoops of Hammer Perpetuem. It went down easy and seemed to work really well. Supplemented that with my homemade Chia Seed gel and 40 oz of water in my Speedfil. Whewie! This Ironman training is so much more than just swim, bike, run, repeat! Pacing, fueling and hydration (including electrolyte replacement) seems to be the most important aspects to finishing. I have learned this by reading EVERY race report on BT all the way back to the first year of the race! I'm off to walk the canine fur kids now,and get this party started! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all our Beastie MOMS!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29