BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by Burd

How much do I need to be swimming to see even more time drop off? I need to shave 2 min off my sprint swim and I don't think 2 workouts a week, no matter how hard they are, is going to be enough. I'm not so much worried about my race in July since it's a smaller race and the times are a bit slower. It's the September race with 800 people I want to podium for. 1st in my AG was 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. It'll be close but if I can eat right and train right that is my long term goal for the year. Sure I may do a HIM in October but that is more of just a finish race. I'll need 6-8 minutes and if I can bust out 2 of those on the swim I'll be more than fine I think.

4 days per week, maybe 5, and maybe a 1-on-1 coaching session per week. Jump over to the den of iniquity that is slowtwich and grab the guppy challenge workouts.

Swimming is hard. It's all about technique, much more than endurance. Swimming harder doesn't make you faster - swimming better makes you faster. It's like golf or tennis.

Last summer, I swam 3 to 4 days per week, averaging 9k yards per week. *One* session of sculling two months ago with a coach dropped 10 seconds off my 100s, which is more than 4 days a week ever did. I still have to think about every bit of the stroke though, so there hasn't been any major progress. To get fast, those little things - high elbow catch, early pull, high elbow recovery, head position, straight forearm - all need to become automatic. That takes repetition. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I suck at swimming.

2014-05-21 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

How much do I need to be swimming to see even more time drop off? I need to shave 2 min off my sprint swim and I don't think 2 workouts a week, no matter how hard they are, is going to be enough. I'm not so much worried about my race in July since it's a smaller race and the times are a bit slower. It's the September race with 800 people I want to podium for. 1st in my AG was 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. It'll be close but if I can eat right and train right that is my long term goal for the year. Sure I may do a HIM in October but that is more of just a finish race. I'll need 6-8 minutes and if I can bust out 2 of those on the swim I'll be more than fine I think.

4 days per week, maybe 5, and maybe a 1-on-1 coaching session per week. Jump over to the den of iniquity that is slowtwich and grab the guppy challenge workouts.

Swimming is hard. It's all about technique, much more than endurance. Swimming harder doesn't make you faster - swimming better makes you faster. It's like golf or tennis.

Last summer, I swam 3 to 4 days per week, averaging 9k yards per week. *One* session of sculling two months ago with a coach dropped 10 seconds off my 100s, which is more than 4 days a week ever did. I still have to think about every bit of the stroke though, so there hasn't been any major progress. To get fast, those little things - high elbow catch, early pull, high elbow recovery, head position, straight forearm - all need to become automatic. That takes repetition. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I suck at swimming.

And I have always heard that the race is never won during the swim! I am seeing slow improvement as I concentrate on technique, but I also still need better endurance just the same. My coach is helping a lot with that too.
Tom

Edited by TomsTri-ing 2014-05-21 5:04 PM
2014-05-21 6:24 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

I suck at swimming.

And I have always heard that the race is never won during the swim! I am seeing slow improvement as I concentrate on technique, but I also still need better endurance just the same. My coach is helping a lot with that too.
Tom

I spoke to my coach tonight at practice and she does 1 on 1 swim lessons. Next month I'm gonna pony up and get 1 or 2 to see where it puts me. I also will try to do at least 4 days in the water and 5 if I can.

I agree the race is never won in the water but it can be lost there. With my pace I would exit the water around 2:00 - 3:00 behind the leaders. Game over before I even hit the bike. Those guys are so fast on the bike and run I would need a miracle to make up that kind of time.
2014-05-21 8:34 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ripariangal

Hey folks new thread is nice here is a repeat of my stats - I know I haven't checked in much but I try to from time to time.
Story - started doing tris to lose baby weight (kiddo is 6, some of the weight is as well...) I bounce to bodybuilding every once in a while and I am hoping my time in the gym over the winter will help me move faster on the course.
Family Status - 3 boys (6, 11, 13) all play football while hubby coaches them. The older boys did a few kids of steel triathlons but I have lost them to the grid iron and the rugby field.
Current training - I spend a lot of time on the bike, been off the run because of problems with my ITB {sigh}
Race plans - I wanted to push to Oly but family obligations mean I will just have to stick with sprint one more year and try for a strong, top 10 finish.
Weight loss - stubborn baby weight that seems resistant to cardio - probably due to a weakness for the next category and being 40-something
Favourite beer - Innis & Gunn, Alexander Keith's
Other - I live most of my life on a dead run even when not actually training. I am a wildlife biologist and spend a lot of my time behind my desk wishing I was in the field instead of sending summer students out to have all the fun.

Welcome back Melanie - its always good to have you!
2014-05-21 8:41 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by MOlsen

After a week of "too hot to run" weather and a long busy weekend I was finally able to get a good run in today. It was an easy 4 miles but felt good to get out and get moving! Over the weekend I tried a couple beers from "Full Circle" brewing in Fresno, CA. Their pale was very tasty with a nice bite and perfect for the warm weather, whereas their IPA was middle ground and could have used a bit more of a hop character.

"Hi!" to all the new folks, welcome to the group!

"too hot to run" eh? I have to say I have zero sympathy for you It's freaking 90+ here with super high humidity. It's like Africa but hotter. At least you got a run in and for that bravo....good work.

Hey Alex... Karma's rough isn't it.... It's 72 and sunny here... That laughter you hear as you sweat your butt off is payback for all the "oh, I'm going out for a ride it's 75 today comments when we were buried under 3 feet of snow
2014-05-21 8:43 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

I'd like to come back if possible. I'll give my background soon.

Finished my first race this past weekend. I didn't get eaten by a shark so I will call it a win.

Scott - It's great to have you back for a second round in the BDAAS. In addition to your bio - I'm looking forward to reading your race report!

2014-05-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Expert
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Mind if I join your group?  

I'm an age group triathlete (45-49) and home brewer!  In April I finished my second 70.3 at the Ironman Texas in Galveston then a half mary and 45 mile ride five weeks later.  (Not really a dual-a-thon just opening a new stretch of highway and had several events).  I've done a few Olympic distances and two sprints as well as several half mary's and one marathon.  Trying to decide which race is next while it feels really good to get back into the gym for some muscle correction, balance, and strength training.

Been married 20 years with one kid in college and the other going into her high school senior year.  I work shift work at a local power plant, seven on, and seven off.  Yeah, I work every other week.  Well, got off work at 6am, ran six miles, now bottling five gallons of an American Brown Ale so gtg.

Our group is never full for you Monty! How could I say no to a fellow Dad/beer drinker/homebrewer/ triathlete?

Seriously - glad to have you. Based upon all the races you've done - you are going to add a ton of experience to the group!
2014-05-21 8:51 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

I suck at swimming.

Tom

I spoke to my coach tonight at practice and she does 1 on 1 swim lessons. Next month I'm gonna pony up and get 1 or 2 to see where it puts me. I also will try to do at least 4 days in the water and 5 if I can.

I agree the race is never won in the water but it can be lost there. With my pace I would exit the water around 2:00 - 3:00 behind the leaders. Game over before I even hit the bike. Those guys are so fast on the bike and run I would need a miracle to make up that kind of time.

Or maybe a shiny new and faster bike. You're all set!
2014-05-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Today I had another deep tissue massage. If you have ever had one - you know they hurt like hell. It's funny - I was scared to go to the dentist yesterday to get a cavity filled and that hurt 1/10 as much as what Dan did to me today and I got there early! For those of you that haven't enjoy one - they use their fingers to deeply kneed the muscles. When they find a area where there are adhesions (like my entire body), they whip out these metal bars and blades and use them to break apart the tissue. My therapist seems to delight in seeing how far he can push it. It doesn't help that I'm constantly telling him, a huge Denver Broncos fan, that John Elway is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the league (I paid for that comment - which is exactly what I wanted). I come home with enormous bruises (both of my calves are purple) but it is so worth it. Despite the increased mileage - I feel great. I got hit by a car when I was 13 and I have a huge scar on the side of my leg. It's still there - but it's smoothed out as they have broken up the scar tissue. Alex - I thought of you today. I think it would really help you get over your IT issues. It's worked wonders for me.

I rode to Landry's, my LBS, today to have them look over my bike prior to my race next Sunday. Having skimped and not put a dime into my Madone in the off season, it got expensive quick. I I needed new tires and I went middle of the road so I could get puncture protection but it was still $50. Then I needed a new chain and a new cassette. II spent the extra money for Ultegra 11/28 which the guy promised would make those hills next week a little easier. All in all - $300 but I know I needed it - especially since I'll put 1500 miles on it this summer. Plus - I completely trust the guy which makes it a little easier. I've got a 65 mile ride this weekend and then I'll take Billy Barou in for the tune up on Monday.

So glad to see so many new and returning faces. As we all get to know one another, please remember to add your name to the end of your posts.

DQ

2014-05-22 7:01 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Qua17 I spent the extra money for Ultegra 11/28 which the guy promised would make those hills next week a little easier. 

I love my 11-28 cassette, it's one of the best upgrades I have made to my bike!

2014-05-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Yes the Big Rock IPA is temporarily residing in my fridge. I haven't tried Minhas... Not good?

I looked at the Lake Chaparral Tri and it looks great byt the date doesn't work for me. So long as I have a race in the future it should keep me focus and training.

Yes nice to have another Albertan who understands that there is a better probability of snow in July than 100F! I grin when I see people complain about it being too hot to run

Cheers!

2014-05-22 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

I rode to Landry's, my LBS, today to have them look over my bike prior to my race next Sunday. Having skimped and not put a dime into my Madone in the off season, it got expensive quick. I I needed new tires and I went middle of the road so I could get puncture protection but it was still $50. Then I needed a new chain and a new cassette. II spent the extra money for Ultegra 11/28 which the guy promised would make those hills next week a little easier. All in all - $300 but I know I needed it - especially since I'll put 1500 miles on it this summer. Plus - I completely trust the guy which makes it a little easier. I've got a 65 mile ride this weekend and then I'll take Billy Barou in for the tune up on Monday.

A good lesson here. There are tons of basic bike maintenance that can be done at home for free.

Chains last about 1,000 miles. After that, they slop in the links starts wearing down the chain rings and cassettes. Change the chains often, and you'll get 3 or 4 chains to a cassette and maybe 6 to a chainring. Also, the only non-Shimano product on my bike is the chain - removable links are better than those stupid replacement pins. KMC and SRAM both use quick links on their chains.

Lube the chain as well - once per week, or after any ride in rainy weather. Lube the shift points (shifters, derailleurs) monthly. LBS often have basic maintenance classes for free (Performance Bike does pretty often, as does REI). If you can hear it squeak, you should have lubed it a month ago.

It's just a major pet peeve of mine, so I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon. Oh, and make sure you can change your tire and tube, and prepare accordingly. About a month ago, 60 mile ride, I had a *double* pinch flat due to a hidden 4" drop gap in some rough pavement. Two flats, less than 20 miles into the ride. I finished that ride

Also, one last thing: make sure your valve stems are long enough for your wheels. My Felt came with 30mm and 60mm deep wheels, which means 80mm valvestems or extenders. I have both in my bag. That was a lesson I learned in the field
2014-05-22 12:35 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17

A good lesson here. There are tons of basic bike maintenance that can be done at home for free.

Chains last about 1,000 miles. After that, they slop in the links starts wearing down the chain rings and cassettes. Change the chains often, and you'll get 3 or 4 chains to a cassette and maybe 6 to a chainring. Also, the only non-Shimano product on my bike is the chain - removable links are better than those stupid replacement pins. KMC and SRAM both use quick links on their chains.

Lube the chain as well - once per week, or after any ride in rainy weather. Lube the shift points (shifters, derailleurs) monthly. LBS often have basic maintenance classes for free (Performance Bike does pretty often, as does REI). If you can hear it squeak, you should have lubed it a month ago.

It's just a major pet peeve of mine, so I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon. Oh, and make sure you can change your tire and tube, and prepare accordingly. About a month ago, 60 mile ride, I had a *double* pinch flat due to a hidden 4" drop gap in some rough pavement. Two flats, less than 20 miles into the ride. I finished that ride

Also, one last thing: make sure your valve stems are long enough for your wheels. My Felt came with 30mm and 60mm deep wheels, which means 80mm valvestems or extenders. I have both in my bag. That was a lesson I learned in the field

Thanks Charles for the lesson. Want to know the extent of my bike knowledge? I had to look up what a chain ring was... Perhaps over a beer you will be able to school me in the ways of the force.
2014-05-22 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
I didn't know it was possible to kick you own butt while swimming but I managed to do it today. As I sit on my couch an hour after my swim - all I want to do is to take a nap. Here was my workout:

300 warm up
150 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 300 - 15 sec breaks between all sets
100 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 150
50 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 100
300 cool down

I hit all my time goals - but the the last couple reps really sucked the life out of me. I'm more tired now than after a 4 hour ride, which probably points to the fact that my form isn't as good as it could be.

Thanks Alex for the inspiration. I tried to channel you as I did those reps. "Come on Nancy Boy! Suck it up" (for those new to the group - that's what Charles says to get himself fired up.) works every time...
2014-05-22 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 I didn't know it was possible to kick you own butt while swimming but I managed to do it today. As I sit on my couch an hour after my swim - all I want to do is to take a nap. Here was my workout: 300 warm up 150 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 300 - 15 sec breaks between all sets 100 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 150 50 x 5 at a pace 3-5 seconds faster than 100 300 cool down I hit all my time goals - but the the last couple reps really sucked the life out of me. I'm more tired now than after a 4 hour ride, which probably points to the fact that my form isn't as good as it could be. Thanks Alex for the inspiration. I tried to channel you as I did those reps. "Come on Nancy Boy! Suck it up" (for those new to the group - that's what Charles says to get himself fired up.) works every time...

Nice job on the swim! You will reap the rewards soon enough!

2014-05-22 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ahh, a bit of the flu sidelined me for a few days. Time permitting, I am going to try go for a ride tonite. Back on track for tomorrow. Weight loss is coming along nicely despite a long weekend+illness.

Weekend plans are for the first donut ride of the season for my Tri club. An 8:30am, 15km ride out to a small town bakery...warm donuts...15km ride back...My weakness, a warm donut(s)...might have to add a few kilometres to the ride to account for inhaling 3 warm donuts.

2014-05-22 3:30 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by thor67

Ahh, a bit of the flu sidelined me for a few days. Time permitting, I am going to try go for a ride tonite. Back on track for tomorrow. Weight loss is coming along nicely despite a long weekend+illness.

Weekend plans are for the first donut ride of the season for my Tri club. An 8:30am, 15km ride out to a small town bakery...warm donuts...15km ride back...My weakness, a warm donut(s)...might have to add a few kilometres to the ride to account for inhaling 3 warm donuts.

I have the perfect race for you: Krispy Kreme Challenge . Five mile run while eating a dozen doughnuts. I think I'd prefer to do a HIM.
2014-05-22 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I have the perfect race for you: Krispy Kreme Challenge . Five mile run while eating a dozen doughnuts. I think I'd prefer to do a HIM.

I would rather do the beer mile....I am proud to say, I believe a Canadian holds the record...4:57, that includes drinking 4x12oz beers....

That my friend is freaking amazing.

http://runningmagazine.ca/man-runs-457-beer-mile/

2014-05-22 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Just looked at the website...

I am not going to lie to you...if I was near here, I would probably do this race...especially if the donuts were warm...

2014-05-22 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Thanks David!  This looks like a good thread.

I'm pulling my 910 from the box right now!  TriSports had a big sale I couldn't pass up.  I really tried to run my 305 in dirt but it just won't die.

Thanks for the cycling tips and maintenance.  I bought my Cannondale Slice two years ago.  It was my first road bike, ever.  First time I took it back to the store the guy was like "what have you done to this bike?  You have to clean and lube it!"  I've learned...

First "summer run" was this afternoon for me.  I classify that way when I can see a noticeable increase in my HR for the same pace I've been holding all winter.  92*F and full sun in North Texas!  Time to acclimate!

/cheers

Edit: For the guys struggling with weight loss I have a couple of things at add: IT SUCKS!  BUT YOU CAN DO IT!  I dropped 45 lbs about six years ago.  I know it's not easy but I know it IS doable!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2014-05-22 5:08 PM
2014-05-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Got my 910 yesterday! All charged up and ready to RUN (no pun intended)
Used on my bike indoors (thunderstorm)
Then for a run this afternoon.
Very nice, and very accurate.
Confirmed the same distance on my Strava app I use on my note 3
Looking forward to swimming tomorrow.
Tom

2014-05-22 7:23 PM

User image

Expert

I was so excited when I read your post about the Krispy Kreme Challenge that I looked it up. There are 2 details to add - Its a total of 2400 calories and you have to maintain a 12 per mile pace and finish in one hour. If it wasn't in North Carolina - I'd sign up! Wouldn't you?

Its almost as impressive as the 5 minute beer mile. Check it out: http://mashable.com/2014/04/29/beer-mile/
2014-05-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Expert
Monty and Tom - I am so jealous about your 910s. I shopped for a new heart rate monitor (my own 310 also refused to die and was so thick it was hard to get off my wetsuit) and was drooling over the 910. I'm a stay at home dad so I went with the 110. I made the right choice financially - and I now coveting is a sin but I can't help myself. If you ever decide that Ballet ir bowling are your thing - I'd be more than happy to buy them off you
2014-05-23 6:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Monty and Tom - I am so jealous about your 910s. I shopped for a new heart rate monitor (my own 310 also refused to die and was so thick it was hard to get off my wetsuit) and was drooling over the 910. I'm a stay at home dad so I went with the 110. I made the right choice financially - and I now coveting is a sin but I can't help myself. If you ever decide that Ballet ir bowling are your thing - I'd be more than happy to buy them off you

David, I think you and me are the only ones without the 910...drinking too much beer... 

2014-05-23 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Just thought I better check in, hope everyone's week went well and you get to enjoy the holiday weekend, please don't forget what it is all about. I'm getting up and ready to go work in the field all weekend hoping we have lots of visitors and everyone stays safe. I got in 2 runs and 2 bikes this week so far missed 1 bike. Hoping to get in some swims next week now that the pool at the Elks is open. My rush fit videos were supposed to come in today but I noticed the tracking number they gave me shows them being delivered to Pennsylvania?!?! Hopefully they just sent me the wrong number and they will come in soon. I'll check in again after the busy weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51165 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.