in reply to: #633528

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by betsy 2007-01-22 4:36 PM
2007-01-23 1:18 PM

Regular
Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - FULL
If you guys are looking for a good instructional DVD on swimming, try Fishlike Freestyle by Total Emmersion Inc. It was produced in 2002 but it has some great tips. Another good reference source for swimming is Triathlon Swimming Made Easy (Mastering Open-Water Swimming) by Terry Laughlin. Both have drills, tips, etc. I'm sure you can find them both on Amazon.com.

Have a great week!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle

2007-01-25 8:03 AM

Regular
I need some bike expert advise. I'm looking at a 2005 Marin road bike. Everything that I've seen (consumer reports and other sites) rave about them. Can anyone give me a personal opinion?
2007-01-25 12:20 PM
in reply to: #663773

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
i'm backtracking to read through the past week's posts...(excuse me please for the backstroke) but great writing eric!, on 1/22 ... i have to agree with you, I am also feeling more of a committment to my training because of this group. thanks everyone !  i don't wanna let anyone down
2007-01-25 12:49 PM

Hey everyone...hope everyone is doing well......Still keeping a steady pace here....Not much weight loss noted lately.......I have to make my portions smaller...Still keeping the workouts a priority. Last nite I even got in 45min of cardio at work.

Can those of you in the warmer climates send some of that nice weather up here to the midwest. I am ready for spring or a vacation...lol.

Everyone keep up the good work and thanks for all the inspirations that I have recieved....

xoxox Eric

2007-01-25 8:41 PM
in reply to: #667254

2007-01-26 7:30 PM

Hi Everyone!

Not the greatest week for me--busy with work, low energy and didn't get much training in. Thanks for all of the inspires--they kept me positive. By Thursday I started feeling great. And the weekend's here--planning to swim and bike (and maybe even throw in a core workout, Betsy).

I'm throwing myself into the swimming more than anything. Just got 3 books out of the library including one by Terry Laughlin (mentioned by Stacey too). I'll pass along reviews if I find the books helpful.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Keep on TRI-ing!

Rene
2007-01-27 4:23 PM

Regular
Hey group!!

I hope the training is going well... keep up the core challenge!

I wanted to post a link to Jeff Galloway's website, a page that emphasized the walking-break strategy: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Myself and my family have followed his plan for years and we all find his training style successful, flexible, and motivational....

:D Keep Tri-ing
2007-01-27 9:16 PM

Chicagoland
Hi Everyone!

I'm Eric's wife, Mary (the one who he made so much fun of for joining the BT mentor groups ). I just wanted to stop by and say that he told me about the core challenge y'all have been doing and I've tried to incorporate it into my routine 2-3 times a week. LOVE IT, love it, LOVE IT! Thanks for the idea! You guys rock!
2007-01-29 11:27 AM

Hello---

I've been looking at other peoples avg and max heart rates during runs and they are all a lot lower than mine. I'm usually in the 180s and my max at the 5K I did saturday was 199!!! It felt good though...I was still breathing and all that. Should I worry? My avg when I'm really biking hard is 170s and swimming is 160s.

thanks
-Jessie

2007-01-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: #669857

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

cbirchrun - 2007-01-27 5:23 PM Hey group!! I hope the training is going well... keep up the core challenge! I wanted to post a link to Jeff Galloway's website, a page that emphasized the walking-break strategy: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.htmlMyself and my family have followed his plan for years and we all find his training style successful, flexible, and motivational.... :D Keep Tri-ing

that's great! to know! I heard Galloway speak at one of his workshops here in Raleigh a few yrs ago; and just bought his book to put the plan into my run plan. i'm so excited!

2007-01-29 3:21 PM
in reply to: #671367

2007-01-30 10:01 AM

Hope everyone is having a good day!!! Everyone's training logs are very inspiring!!

Anything interesting going on? Life is pretty ho-hum here in Mississippi, a little overworked, but can't complain too much. It is pretty cold here (which I do not like cold weather).

Going to California for the first time next week. That is my excitement.

Can't you tell I have a pretty boring life????
2007-01-30 10:58 AM

Regular
Ok, I can join the rest of you now...I found my bike and she's BEAUTIFUL!! It's a 2005 Cervelo with aero bars....VERY comfortable. It's not new but I bought it from a personal trainer here in town who, by-the-way, trains new triathletes. It was ment to be. We are the exact same height and the frame fit me perfectly, not to mention is was a great deal. I've had it checked out and all is good. I've scheduled a custom fit for the end of the week and plan to add a new seat and re-wrap the grips. Other than that, I'm very happy....TIME TO TRAIN!!!!

As a side note, she rode it in the Canada Ironman and it still has the sticker on it...thought I would leave it there for motivation!

I'm open to suggestions for names. My husband called it a banana on wheels, not sure I'll go with that one. Have a great day!

(My Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
My Bike.jpg (43KB - 40 downloads)
2007-01-30 11:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
group inspiration... i found a great quote online today... wanted to share it w/ our team

Do you want to fast forward to the answer? Try not to. The best parts of life are in the roads traveled to get to your destination. That's where you struggle and that's where you laugh. Be in the moment and enjoy it. Taste life. Taste what interests you. Listen to yourself and the world around you. It's a slow and tedious process where being patient helps a lot. Take your time to be sure of what you want. Then work like hell to get it. -- warren brown, founder of cakelove, http://www.cakelove.com

2007-01-31 11:00 AM
in reply to: #672601

2007-01-31 11:02 AM
in reply to: #672709

2007-01-31 1:09 PM

Regular
Good suggestion....Lance it is!!
2007-01-31 2:38 PM

2007-01-31 4:04 PM

Hey everybody... I was thinking Livestrong - but Betsy's idea of Lance is great!!

AWESOME new bike!! It looks so nice!

My biggest challenge is vamping up my workouts, instead of staying where I am. Any words of wisdom... I think that part of my problem is travelling/over working.

CT

2007-01-31 4:16 PM
in reply to: #674642

2007-01-31 4:24 PM

Hey Betsy - thanks for the help. I need more intesity (sorry I wasn't clear - I think things in my head that never make it to paper/computer.)

I have started swimming in the morning - I travel every week and my morning commute ranges from 15 mins to an hour and 15 minutes (depends on what institution I am working in and how far the hotel/my parents' house is). I live on the road - a road warrior, I like to say. I have been at home during the week for a total of 8 days in a year and a half. Challenging when it comes to a specific workout schedule that I can routinely follow.

2007-01-31 8:08 PM

Hi All:

Here's my update...

SWIM: doing really well and feeling good. I can't believe I love swimming!
BIKE: feeling good, but missed last weekend but will definitely bike this weekend.
RUN: well, getting there. I'm hoping to increase my run mileage next week.
WTS/CORE: wts good, core, hm, soso

Question for Betsy or anyone...what to wear in the water... Tri-suit? Wetsuit? Is there something in between? How about booties to keep feet warm...worthwhile? or do they create drag?

Thanks!
Rene
2007-02-01 8:00 AM

Regular
I guess it's my turn.

Overall I feel my progress is steady. Of course I would love to be further along in my endurance but I still have 18 weeks before my first tri. My focus is on swimming...the weaker of the 3. I'm ok on the run and just need to train on my new bike "Lance". I'm keeping a postive attitude and surrounding myself with some really great motivators! Again, this is just as much a mental sport as it is a physcial sport and sometimes it comes down to mind over matter.

I do have 2 questions:

1. How do I prevent stomach cramps when I transition from bike to run? This has happened the last 2 bricks I've done and I can't figure out why? I train in the morning (early) and don't typically eat before I train. Not sure if this is a factor.

2. I need suggestions on how to measure my runs. Is there a sports watch that works best, a pedometer, etc? I can't wait to hit the trails again when it warms up but I need to track my distance....never worried about it before when I was just working out.

Challenge: I would like to add upper body strength to my ab core challenge. I've always had a weaker upper body, arms/shoulders and need to focus on this for my swim.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27