Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

you forgot to say "So Long" 

2007-01-12 4:58 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Something to think about for the weekend.  During your training, try out different nutritional tactics.  You will probably need to try out gels or some other form of carbs.  I use gels on runs that are longer than an hour, and on bikes that are longer than 1.5 hours.  Your body needs you to replace carbs on longer workouts and in races. 

Always wash down your gels with water (not sports drinks), because they are formulated to be digested correctly with water only! 

It's also a good idea to find out what sport drink is being served on the course at your race.  Practice with that.  Often, Gatorade Endurance is the drink on courses. 

Practice before your race, because the rule is: NEVER TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!!!

Have a great weekend!  I'll be online, so feel free to ask anything! 

2007-01-13 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Girls-

Swam this morning it was FAR 4000 yards. It was great though. I am blessed to swim with such amazing people. Gonna do a short run tommorow and some mountain biking.

Have a good one-

Heather
2007-01-14 9:17 AM
in reply to: #653646

User image

countregirl - 2007-01-13 4:29 PM

Hi Girls-

Swam this morning it was FAR 4000 yards. It was great though. I am blessed to swim with such amazing people. Gonna do a short run tommorow and some mountain biking.

Have a good one-

Heather

Nice work Heather! You are on your way girl

So, whatever my youngest has... my alomst three year old and I have. Can mommy call in sick Have to stay out of the pool until at leat Thru-- Hoping to be in the bike by Tue. I'm going to have to see how I feel. I feel so sad... like I'm getting behind in my training. I know it's best to listen to my body...but

Have a great workout today!! Make it count

Melissa
2007-01-14 10:41 AM
in reply to: #653978

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Trimomnewbe - 2007-01-14 8:17 AM I feel so sad... like I'm getting behind in my training. I know it's best to listen to my body...but Have a great workout today!! Make it count Melissa

I know how you feel Melissa, BUT don't worry   (I know, easier said than done).  It is far better to get healthy again, THEN think about your workouts.  You won't lose any fitness.  And you won't get behind....just pick up in your plan the day you feel well enough again.  Hope your kiddos get healthy too! 

Heather, your swimming is amazing!  I am now having a shoulder issue with swimming which STINKS! 

Have a great Sunday everyone! 

Z
2007-01-14 12:56 PM
in reply to: #654020

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Subject: Chip question
Do you guys mind explaining the timing chip, how it works, who takes timing during the race, and what is a split? This whole concept is new to me.

Thanks!

PS. I might just go for a 5 mile run later on today. My husband John did his firs adventure race yesterday. His team (3 people) finished placed 7th out of 43. He is very excited.

2007-01-14 1:42 PM
in reply to: #654080

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Chip question

zschaller - 2007-01-14 11:56 AM Do you guys mind explaining the timing chip, how it works, who takes timing during the race, and what is a split? This whole concept is new to me. Thanks! PS. I might just go for a 5 mile run later on today. My husband John did his firs adventure race yesterday. His team (3 people) finished placed 7th out of 43. He is very excited.

Hi Zoya!  I saw your introduction in the "Introduce" forum....cool! 

When you do a race, they usually give you a chip.  It attaches to a plastic bracelet of sorts (also provided in your race packet).  You wear it on your ankle.  Wear it tight enough that it won't come off, but not so tight that it bothers you.  Your times are recorded by the chip.  You cross mats that "beep" when you cross them.  The mats are at the entrance to and exit from the transition area and at the finish.  Then when you get your results, your times are listed for the swim, bike and run, plus transition times.  Kinda cool.  So no human is taking the time

So for a split, let's say you ran a 10K race.  Your "splits" could be by mile, or at the 5K mark.  So that means your TIME per mile or your time for 1/2 of the race.  You'll also hear the term "negative split" which means you complete the second 1/2 faster than the first (like the first 5K in 30 minutes, and the 2nd 5K in 29 minutes.....or something like that).

Congrats to your hubby!  That is awesome!  I'd love to do an adventure race someday....they seem really fun.  Have a great run today!

Z
2007-01-14 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Z
2007-01-14 2:06 PM
in reply to: #654100

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
And one more thing for you, how about this bike for starters? I tried to find anything good used but
apparently road biking is very popular here in DC metro area and all the classifieds boards are full of "WANTED" adds and not much in terms of offers...nothing on the cheaper side at lest.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro07.htm

Thanks

Z.
2007-01-14 2:55 PM
in reply to: #654112

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-14 1:06 PM And one more thing for you, how about this bike for starters? I tried to find anything good used but apparently road biking is very popular here in DC metro area and all the classifieds boards are full of "WANTED" adds and not much in terms of offers...nothing on the cheaper side at lest. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro07.htmThanks Z.

looks pretty decent!  My only concern is that it is a double crank (2 rings in front) and 8 speed cassette (8 cogs in back), so that gives you 16 speeds which MIGHT be tough IF you race in a hilly area.  However, you would have some darn strong legs working out on that set up!  Nice that it comes with aerobars (and that they come off if you want.)  And a good price at that, plus that it comes with pedals!

You might consider going to Performance Bike in Reston, if for no other reason than to help you decide what size bike you need: 

11634 Plaza America Dr
Reston, VA 20190
Phone: 703-464-5917

It just helps to at least stand over a bike to get a feel for your size.  A bike that is too big is a nightmare!  Do you know what size you might need?

Z
2007-01-14 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
according to my hight (5'10) i need a 56 cm frame...

2007-01-14 7:18 PM
in reply to: #654335

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-14 6:09 PM according to my hight (5'10) i need a 56 cm frame...

Good Lord, 5'10"????  you are tall!  56 might be right for you.  My hubby is 6' and rides a 56. 

One other thing to consider is the top tube length, especially with aerobars on it.  Sometimes you have to size down if it's too far of a reach.   

Just want to tell you all the specifics (as much as I know anyway!)....I'd hate for you to wind up with a bike that doesn't fit right!    Are you going for the one with the link?

Z
2007-01-14 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
My husband is also all for a triple crank...he just explained me a thing or two about hills and all So I will probably look some more. The LBS in Reston has really aggressive sales people, I'm avoiding it by reading a lot or reviews. Your help is priceless!!! Thanks you so much for giving so much of your time to answer all the questions, biking is absolutely new to me.

What area of study is your PhD in? I'm going to start working on my Master's in IT Assurance in September.
2007-01-14 7:40 PM
in reply to: #654352

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-14 6:25 PM My husband is also all for a triple crank...he just explained me a thing or two about hills and all So I will probably look some more. The LBS in Reston has really aggressive sales people, I'm avoiding it by reading a lot or reviews. Your help is priceless!!! Thanks you so much for giving so much of your time to answer all the questions, biking is absolutely new to me. What area of study is your PhD in? I'm going to start working on my Master's in IT Assurance in September.

LOL!  Check out Performance Bike.....you might actually have trouble finding sales help, but you can pull the bikes out and sit on them in the store all by yourself  

PhD is in Nursing.  I'm a nurse practitioner.  One elective to go and then the dissertation.  I have my comps exam in April, (the paper for it is due pretty much NOW!), and grant proposal for funding due in March!  ACK! 

Z
2007-01-14 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
So what one does with the PhD in nursing? Are you going to teach? I'm just very curious. My sister just started a nursing school. She was a doctor with a private practice back in Ukraine and here she would have to do all of the examinations over again. Being a single/divorced mom she was afraid (rightfully) that it would take too much time away from her son. So after some soul searching she is settled for nursing. Good choice I think.

Now, if i could only get her to do Tri's

Edited by zschaller 2007-01-14 7:58 PM
2007-01-14 9:37 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Yes, teach and/or do research.  My dissertation topic is predictors of physical activity adherence! 

I agree, good choice for your sister!

2007-01-15 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
C-

I also plan on teaching college. I am on the long school plan too I work full time with the kids so it will take me awhile--but I have time. I will transition to Community College ASAP after my degree. I also hope to do online classes as I like the flexibility they offer

I hope others are off today. It is yucky here rainy so I am going to a spin class.

Have a good day!

H
2007-01-15 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope you all had a great weekend! 

It's REALLY early to be thinking about this, but transitions in your races are important!  Think about all of the equipment you'll need, how you'll set it up (put it all on a towel), etc. 

I typically get to a race shortly after the transition area opens, set up near the entrance/exit (as close as possible)....sometimes the entrance and exit are in 2 different parts, so that is something to consider.  When I get back for T1 after the swim, take off the wetsuit, cap and goggles along the way (or start taking off the wetsuit anyway), put on bike shoes (I don't wear socks for the bike, I put them on before the run b/c I don't want to run in potentially wet socks!).  Put on helmet, click the strap (you will be dq'd if you don't).  Put on bike gloves if needed (I use them for 1/2 IM distance.  Sunglasses, sunscreen if needed.  Run with bike to exit.  Oh and I usually have a gel at this time too.

For T2, return with bike, take everything off that I don't need for the bike.  Put on socks, shoes.  Put on running hat.  Have gel if it's time.  Put on race belt with number.  Pack gels in shirt pocket.  GO!    (Hope I didn't forget anything!). 

It also helps to figure out in advance where the aid stations are for gels and drinks.  So that's the brief rundown.  When you are preparing for your race, it's a good idea to actually practice a few transitions.  Think about it also!

Heather, enjoy that rain.  It's 3 degrees here.  Might get above freezing tomorrow for the first time in 4-5 days.  Crazy!

Z
2007-01-15 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
I went to my first ever bike ride today. It was absolutely awful. My husband coached me for about 6 miles. I managed to hit my knee really bad jumping off the bike (for no reason at all). This whole biking thing looks much more difficult that i was imagining. I have a fear problem-fear of falling or hitting someone. It was 65F here today, so everyone was on the trail we took. it will take a LOT of practice. I also got fitted for a road bike but I could not even ride the thing around a parking lot. It felt absolutely weird (the way the handle bars are and the brakes...oh boy). Fun, fun!!!
2007-01-15 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I hope it wasn't too many at one time. I tried the alphabet trick you told me about and it worked very well. It kept my mind occupied. I figured out I swam 1,075 yards. I have a long way to go before I catch up with Heather. Wow, 4,000 yards that is excellent.

Melissa, I hope you feel better soon! I know how it is when my kids get sick I always end up catching what they have too.

Heather, Do you work out at the Y? I go to 2 different Y's the one in Ft. Mill & the Steele Creek Y. I was reading on the BT forum for NC there are some other people that are doing the Latta Tri also. They said that they do practice swims starting in April.

I found a Tri website that has info on transitions: http://www.triathanewbie.com/triathlon_raceday.html#before

Mytwins are officially trying out their new toddler beds this afternoon for their nap. Needless to say there is not much "napping" going on in there. I have been in their room multiple times and there are clothes strewn all over their room.

I hope everyone is having a good day! Good luck with your training!

Mel 

2007-01-15 5:26 PM
in reply to: #655308

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-15 1:47 PM I went to my first ever bike ride today. It was absolutely awful. My husband coached me for about 6 miles. I managed to hit my knee really bad jumping off the bike (for no reason at all). This whole biking thing looks much more difficult that i was imagining. I have a fear problem-fear of falling or hitting someone. It was 65F here today, so everyone was on the trail we took. it will take a LOT of practice. I also got fitted for a road bike but I could not even ride the thing around a parking lot. It felt absolutely weird (the way the handle bars are and the brakes...oh boy). Fun, fun!!!

Zoya, that is AWESOME that you went out and did it!  GREAT!  My first year on a bike, I fell all the time, and it happens to everyone because of the pedals anyway, so no worries!    You'll get the hang of it in no time!

2007-01-15 5:28 PM
in reply to: #655350

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I hope it wasn't too many at one time. I tried the alphabet trick you told me about and it worked very well. It kept my mind occupied. I figured out I swam 1,075 yards. I have a long way to go before I catch up with Heather. Wow, 4,000 yards that is excellent.

No problem at all!  Ask away!  Yeah, that alphabet thing.....at least you have something to think about! 

I found a Tri website that has info on transitions: http://www.triathanewbie.com/triathlon_raceday.html#before   

Thanks for the link!  That helps!

Your kids probably had the time of their lives in those toddler beds!  What a riot!

2007-01-15 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Mel-

I work out at Harris---with about 20-30 people 3 times per week...PM me or email me if you want more info. The coach is FABU I really like him.....and 1075 is FANTASTIC if you are not a swimmer...I did a spin class for one hour today and then hurried to get my shoes on and managed to run a PATHETIC 12 minute mile.....so I am such not the runner!!!!! But it did not hurt as bad as the first time that I did it! If you want to meet sometime for a ride or swim let me know but I suck at running.

Zoya-

I commend you. I went mountain biking with my family yesterday and was feeling all great then my DD fell and I panicked and forgot that I was clipped in and totally wiped out. Big bruise on my butt and pedal rash hahahaha I have fallen ALOT and I am absolutely terrified of the darn road biking. I also feel like I will look HUGE on a road bike. I see all these stick people (no offense) riding and I am thinking about my spare tire that will not go away....

CO-

Thanks for the links they are great. And also reminding about the tranistions. I am getting fitted for the road bike on Thurs. I hope it works!

Have a good evening girlies

Heather
Z
2007-01-15 6:33 PM
in reply to: #655549

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Thanks Heather and Cathy!!!!!!!
2007-01-16 3:48 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

How is everyone doing? 

Kendra, Joy....are you still with us?  I want to make sure you are ok! 

I have been checking everyone's logs and leaving notes on them.....check them out if you haven't been there! 

I am supposed to do 2 races this weekend (I'm a race junkie )  BUT I'm not sure if I'll do the first one....it's a duathlon and the roads here are AWFUL because of our snow and cold temps.  The other is a 5 mile run on Sunday.  I'm hoping for above freezing temps this week so that a little snow will melt! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34