Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-01-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: #672876

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full
francisjade - 2007-01-30 11:29 AM I sent Mike the question, I like this runner or swimmers high. I just need to remind myself that the first quarter of the workout will suck then it'll get good. Julia do you get my responses to your 'inspire me' messages? I've just been hitting reply, is there a better way to get my messages to you?
  I think I got them...  But click 'blog' instead of reply and they will come to my inspire me page - then just hit the post button at the bottom and make sure it went through.  Did I miss another question?? 

2007-01-30 9:45 PM
in reply to: #672921

I hope I have not just been sending you the same messages over and over.
After reading this response I think I know how to do it from here. (let's hope)
2007-01-31 10:38 AM
in reply to: #673599

User image

Master
Colorado

No, you've not been sending them over and over!  There are 3 different ways to leave me a message - one is on this board, one is in my 'inspire me' and one is to "PM" me which is a private message that I will get. 

Actually another way is to just email me directly - [email protected] 

So I kinda cheated on my goal yesterday.  I did not have a beer, but instead a glass (OK, 2 glasses) of wine - Still kinda felt like I cheated on the spirit of my goal though...  I just couldn't sit through that play last night without SOMETHING

Good week y'all!

2007-01-31 10:54 AM
in reply to: #672774

User image

Boulder, Colorado

francisjade - 2007-01-30 9:30 AM A question for everyone, does anyone notice that during a long workout you gain strength and energy the deeper you are in the workout? For example, I've never swam 2000m before and it was very long for me and I was quite tired at first, but near the end I felt like I could have gone on. Any idea why this happens?

Holy Crap do I have to have to comment on this page! "good week y'all" is from someone who lives in the South - not a chica, especially a Portuguese one from New England - holy crap.

Ok - there is another thing I did not mention in the email I answered, but there is a theory that once you start clearing lactic acid from your muscles it re-synthesizes itself as ATP (energy) and your body can then use that later in your workout - a little complicated in techinical terms, but short story is that it would explain '2nd wind' in running or getting stronger/faster the longer the workout goes.

Ok -that's all I got. Good week to everyone and make sure Julia sticks with her plan, we need her getting up on stage a few times this season at the Boulder Races. Of course there is absolutely no pressure on her to do this (ha!).

2007-01-31 8:01 PM
in reply to: #674117

ok, sorry i'm so late in the "goals" game for the week! my goal this week is to be in bed at 10, asleep by 10:30. so far i've been doing good. i just get so busy getting things done once the kids go to bed that the night just gets away from me. then with multiple nighttime interruptions and an early morning every day, it starts to wear on me. so early to bed is helping me get some more hours of sleep.

no ice cream? are you crazy? i just couldn't do that, so i won't set myself up for failure... ha ha.

julia, you asked about my bike--honestly, i don't know the size. i want to say its a 39" frame, but i'm just not sure. its really small, i know that! i'm exactly 5 ft, so its hard to find a small enough bike for me. its really the smaller wheels that i think can be problematic (which is why i want something different for the HIM). i just feel like if i had larger wheels, then each time i pedaled, i would actually go further distance per rotation. does that make sense? i bought it cheap off of craigslist (75$) from a very short guy who rode it as a commuter bike.
i rode it in two sprint tri's and it worked fine, although i got passed by a bunch of other road bikes (grrr!) although i did pass all the mountain bikes But i really do want another bike.

If you notice my logs, my bike time has been so frustrating lately! Anyone else struggle with the bike portion? everyone seems to put so much emphasis on the swim, but lately my swim has been going great--its the bike that is getting me down! whats the deal? its frustrating me. this morning i only had one hour to ride and i only did 13 miles. i was hoping to do more like 18. i'm wondering if its my bike, my route, time of day, etc. who knows, but i need to change something.

on another note--i definitely get a second wind when working out, especially running. that first 1-2 miles can be tough, but after that i just feel like i could go and go and go. its a nice feeling!! i hope that majorly kicks in around mile 6 or 7 in the HIM!!

hope everyone is doing great, congrats on all your goals this week!!

Megan
2007-02-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: #661678

User image

Shoreline
I have officially not hit any of my goals for the week

I have a nutrition question. I am a nursing mom and am supposed to consume anywhere from 2500 - 3000 calories a day depending on my activity level. I usually eat closer to 2000 or less. So why can't I seem to lose any weight? I have been hovering around the same weight since I began my training a month ago. I feel better and look better, but am just curious if anyone knows why that might be?

Cheers,

2007-02-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: #675505

User image

Grafton, WI

Caycee - 2007-02-01 11:11 AM I have officially not hit any of my goals for the week I have a nutrition question. I am a nursing mom and am supposed to consume anywhere from 2500 - 3000 calories a day depending on my activity level. I usually eat closer to 2000 or less. So why can't I seem to lose any weight? I have been hovering around the same weight since I began my training a month ago. I feel better and look better, but am just curious if anyone knows why that might be? Cheers,

First Caycee-- If you feel better and you look better, that is what counts...not a number on the scale.  Keep in mind you probably are working out a lot more then you have been and are developing more muscles which weigh more than fat, although you will "look better!"  Second, don't cut out so many calories as you need that.  You are messing with your metabolism and your nutritional needs.  We can starve ourselves until we are blue in the face and you may never drop those additional pounds.  If you eat more quality things (yeah, the ice cream doesn't count) your body will thank you and will even process these foods a bit differently.  It is the same with some people if they work out too hard, their body won't drop the excess lbs as quickly as if they slowed down a bit...it's like a regulator and it depends on each person individually.  I can't really explain that, but someone else might be able to better.  Hope that helps.  Oh, set some different goals fro the next few days to work on and set yourself up for some success!

2007-02-01 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Caycee - 2007-02-01 10:11 AM I have officially not hit any of my goals for the week I have a nutrition question. I am a nursing mom and am supposed to consume anywhere from 2500 - 3000 calories a day depending on my activity level. I usually eat closer to 2000 or less. So why can't I seem to lose any weight? I have been hovering around the same weight since I began my training a month ago. I feel better and look better, but am just curious if anyone knows why that might be? Cheers,

I also posted some info on your 'inspire me' on this.  It's also WHEN you eat.  Again, I wouldn't worry about the # on the scale.  Percentage of body fat is a better indicator and I'm guessing that yours is going DOWN.  And don't forget that nursing a baby, your body is requiring a certain amt of excess body fat, so if you are not eating enough, it may go into preservation mode and will actually slow your burn rate.  Make sure to eat lots of carbs early in the day and lots of carbs before, during(if it's a longer workout) and after your workouts.   I honestly was down to 145 within a month of my second baby and I'm at 136 now - less than 10# in 3 years!  BUT I'm a size 4 instead of an 8...  And it's ALL MUSCLE   You'll get there too - don't rush it and don't try to crash diet because you will only lose energy.  While nursing, you body WON'T sacrifice calories it needs to feed that baby so it will sacrifice calories somewhere else.  You won't want to get up in the morning - you'll want to hibernate!  I hate to say this but Eat MORE, eat lower in fat and eat earlier in the day.  I think you're doing great!

2007-02-01 3:24 PM

caycee,
i just wanted to second what the others have said. i'm nursing also and our bodies just require more calories. you do need more calories and you *SHOULDN'T* be trying to lose weight while nursing. you're baby won't get the same fat/calories that she needs.
i can tell i NEED more food with the increased exercise and while nursing. so i really try to push the carbs--but remember, fruits and veggies are GOOD carbs! so i try to pack in bananas, apples, etc, and i usually eat oatmeal in the morning for breakfast.
just make sure you have some 'healthy' but tasty things to snack on throughout the day.

Megan
2007-02-01 4:26 PM

User image

Shoreline
Ah yes.... fruit. That should be my goal for the week. Eat at least one piece of fruit a day.

The weird thing is that I am not hungry and am not counting calories at all. Before I started logging my food intake through the nutrition log I was convinced I was eating like a pig and exceeding my recommended daily caloric intake. But to my surprise I was well below. Hmmmm!!!

Thanks for the comments folks. I really appreciate the support.
2007-02-01 6:08 PM

Ok here is a question and it has probably been asked 100's of times but I confuse easily
Is it best to eat before or after a workout?

2007-02-01 11:45 PM
in reply to: #672921

But click 'blog' instead of reply and they will come to my inspire me page - then just hit the post button at the bottom and make sure it went through.  Did I miss another question?? 

No you haven't missed any questions, I'm just making sure you've received my responses to your questions.

I"m having trouble with my diet and my weekly goals. I don't cook and eat out a lot and have fries chips chocolate lots of pizza etc etc. Anyone having trouble too? My biggest obstacle is planning what I eat for the day better, I don't really "plan" my food ever. I had one day without sugar this week.
2007-02-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: #676145

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane&Mike - 2007-02-01 5:08 PM Ok here is a question and it has probably been asked 100's of times but I confuse easily Is it best to eat before or after a workout?

YES!!!  So the best time to eat is before AND after a workout.  IF you are going for more than 45 minutes or so I would also plan on taking in some fuel DURING the workout.  Walking should be fine for up to an hour, but anything higher intensity, you need to replenish a few things - 1-Water make sure you DRINK during any exercise over 30 minutes or so.  2- Electrolytes especially if you are working out indoors or when it is warm out.  You dan drink Gatorade, Heed (My FAVORITE sports drink!), or you can take some salt tabs and 3- Carbs.  Your muscles can store enough for up to 30-45 minutes, but after that you need to replenish.  The trouble is that you can never take in enough to replenish what you are burning, so if you are going to run for an hour, I wouldn't wait until 40 minutes into the run to take in some fuel - do it BEFORE you start and at least every 30 minutes during your workout.  

The key to gaining strength is actually in your recovery - not during your workout.  That is why it is SO important to take on some protein as SOON as you are done.  My nutritionist recommends chocolate milk or a protein bar or a protein shake as SOON as you are done to tide you over to your next meal - which should be within an hour. 

So you ALWAYS need to eat after, should almost always eat before (or about 30' before if you want to get mostly digested) and sometimes eat during.  Hope that helps rather than confuses you more! 

2007-02-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: #676707

Thanks Julia! Not confused yet - trying to remember to get something in during may be strange for awhile - I have never thought of doing it before. Of course I know about the water and do do that. Its like rubbing your head and patting your belly or vice versa? Until you get used to it and do it a few times it will be strange.
You mention salt tabs, should I look to them since I have never found gatorade or sportdrinks to appealling. Maybe its an acquired taste and will try them again but what else is there to choose from?
Thanks,
Diane
2007-02-02 10:30 PM
in reply to: #677731

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane&Mike - 2007-02-02 7:08 PM Thanks Julia! Not confused yet - trying to remember to get something in during may be strange for awhile - I have never thought of doing it before. Of course I know about the water and do do that. Its like rubbing your head and patting your belly or vice versa? Until you get used to it and do it a few times it will be strange. You mention salt tabs, should I look to them since I have never found gatorade or sportdrinks to appealling. Maybe its an acquired taste and will try them again but what else is there to choose from? Thanks, Diane

I myself can not STAND Gatorade - or any of the other bottled off the shelf stuff.  I buy Hammer Heed - it's a powder (www.hammernutrition.com) that you simply mix in a water bottle and it tastes MUCH better than gatorade - much lighter and less sweet.  And just less offensive all together   Other than that, salt tabs are good, or some of the gels, goos, or block foods out there have electrolytes in them.  My favorite two training foods are Hammer Gel (Banana, Chocolate and Raspberry are my fave flavors - same vendor as Heed) and Clif Shot Bloks - which you should be able to buy in most stores.  E-crank is another gel that has high sodium.  A few of the other major brands -(Cliff, Gu, etc) make a "high sodium" gel as well.

2007-02-03 6:03 AM
in reply to: #677856

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Thanks for the info on Hammer Head, Julia! Last year I bought some Gookinaid (or now it's called Hydralite, I think), and it's been working well. I don't like Gatorade either. I like being able to mix however much Gookinaid I want in my water bottles, usually not much since I don't like strong flavors when running. And I'm still trying to figure out which gels I like and don't like. So far it seems I can stomach the Gu brand gels a little better, but I will keep testing during my runs since I haven't really had that many gels overall. Sometimes I wish the Cliff Shot Bloks were a bit smaller (more girly bite-sized), but other than that, they've been great. Thanks again for all the info!

2007-02-03 5:10 PM

Julia, besides being able to keep a record of my heart rate during exercise, how else can my heart rate monitor help me get fit and fast? Does anyone else use one?

Edited by francisjade 2007-02-03 5:11 PM
2007-02-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: #678304

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-02-03 4:10 PM Julia, besides being able to keep a record of my heart rate during exercise, how else can my heart rate monitor help me get fit and fast? Does anyone else use one?

WOW, this is a complex question!!  Well, first of all, you need to establish some heart rate zones.  The easiest way to do this is to figure out a maximum heart rate and an LT rate.  There are LOTS of ways to do this, the easiest (and LEAST accurate) is to simply go by your age.  I'm REALLY not a big fan of thatfor several reasons, but mostly because I am someone who tried that and m HR is WAY different than an average person of my age. 

The most accurate way is to actually have an blood lactate test done.  It means going to some place that offers this test and spending somewhere between $75 and $125 for the test. 

Probably the most common way is to do a 5k or 10k race and record your avg HR and establish you LT from there.  If there are no races anywhere around you, you can simply run a 5k - but it should be pretty much ALL out.  Your 5k race HR will be slightly higher than your LT. 

If that's doesn't seem like a good option, you can establish your zones by rate of percieved exertion.  zone 1 should be very easy.  Zone 2 easy - you should be able to talk easily when in this zone.  Zone 3 would be an endurance zone still, but just a bit of trouble talking while in this zone.  Zone 4 is your LT zone.  The top of this zone is your actual lactate threshold.  Zone 5 is your MAX zone.  this is a pace you can't sustain for very long and training time in this zone should be extremely limited. 

Most training plans start with a "base Phase" which is typically mostly Z1 and Z2 work, longer distance work with some Z3 sprinkled in and maybe some Z4 for VERY short times during a longer workout.  Then you might move on to a "build phase" or a "strength phase" which is exactly that - where you are building your strength.  There will be more zone 3 work here and a little zone 4 - typically where you add it hills running and biking to build strength.  Finally you'll get to a SPEED phase where you will work in some zone4 and zone 5 work - some track workouts, some serious hills with speed on the bike and sprint work in the pool with short rest intervals.  The key is, you can't just go to a strength or speed mode.  Many athletes who start off without any guidance will go out and run in zone 3 and 4 for short distances all of the time.  And while they may build fitness in their first season doing this, in the long term they won't see much progress. When you work in periodized training in phases (READ the Triathlete's Training Bible for more GREAT info) you'll see results, but you have to be patient through the base phase time. 

That's only a small start, and I cheated by hiring a coach and having an immediate LT test done, so I didn't have to try to figure my zones out for myself.  I figured out pretty quickly that I wasn't normal when I was walking at a HR that was supposedly Z3...

The key is that hopefully your PACE will gradually increase at the same HR and the same level of exertion.  You will also know when it's time to back off (if your HR is Way high or WAY low).  You might be over trained, over tired, or have an illness coming on.  Sometimes we ignore signs that we are pushing too hard.  It's happened to me several times where I finish a workout and say MAN I had trouble keeping my HR in zone 2 - and 2 days later I've come down with a massive cold.  If I see that now I start slamming vitamins and sleeping 10 hours and maybe taking a day off. 

OK, that's a start, but let me know if you hae more specific questions.  There are entire books written on that ONE little question

2007-02-05 9:19 AM

Boy was everyone quite yesterday or what?
Hope everyone had a great weekend. I was able to get a bike ride with the kiddos in since none of us where intrested in the game. We declined an invite to SB party for fear of boredom and too much food.

Well this weeks goals: Add fruit as a snack >3 times this week, jog/run interval 3 times, swim & bike at least 1, and lose 2#s. All very attainable stay motivated!

2007-02-05 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

I hope everyone had a great weekend   I checked in on everyone's logs and it looks like some people did some great work - especially running!  Some people either didn' train much or didn't log much - which is also great for a weekend   I myself took the middle of the road.  I see some goals for this week already, but here are mine-

EAT WELL and DRINK WELL  so kinda the same as last week.  I didn't feel like I made my goal because I did have 4 glasses of wine, so instead of saying no beer, I'm going to say I can have 2 beers this week TOTAL during the week and NO WINE and more water. 

How does everyone else think they did??  And how about training, are you all feeling good, or need more motivation, or more guidance?? 

Have a great week

2007-02-05 4:04 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Oh bitter coldness continues in WI!  School was cancelled today, which was a welcome relief as I could do some more sleeping and relaxing since I don't have any kids yet.  Plus our place is so freezing that you just want to crawl under the heated blanket all the time!  BRRRRRRR......-15 plus windchill.  On another positive side, I have no Grad school tonight and have managed to continue on my motivational plunge to getting as much done as I can before I hop back to my training....running hopefully here in a few weeks.  I guess it is a way of sidetracking that frustration.  I skipped the swim workout this morning, couldn't muster the strength to get up out of bed and into a freezing pool.  So as soon as my cookies are done baking (what else is a "cold" day good for?) I'm heading to the club to do a double spin class.  My goal is to do1:30 min at the min at a good pace or 32 miles.  Hope everyone else is staying warm, it has to be warmer than here!

2007-02-05 7:34 PM

User image

Grafton, WI

Anyone know how accurate spin bikes are for distances? I know we did a lot of intervals, jumps, and hills tonight and I got in my 32 miles....just wondering?  It was great having the extra time to do the extra class.  The second instructor was awesome, too bad I usually have Grad class on Mondays...I'll have to make a point to get there when I don't. 

Oh yeah, no school again tomorrow....this is freakin nutso! Frigid is an understatement!

2007-02-05 9:47 PM
in reply to: #680389

User image

Master
Colorado
Sorry about the weather - same cold front just FINALLY left Colorado!  Anyway, I don't kow for sure how accurate the spin bikes are.  I can tell you that the spin bike at my old coach's place was dead on , but I think it depends on what type.  I wouldn't cound on it as exact, but it's probably close or you would know it.  Great job with the spin class though!
2007-02-05 10:29 PM
in reply to: #678317

Julia when you next look at my log, tell me if you think I'm in too high a HR zone, I think I'm pushing myself a bit too much. I'd be curious about doing the LT test, perhaps at a university. If working out at a low zone will bring better results I'll slow down! I'll buy that bible, sounds good.

2007-02-06 7:52 AM
in reply to: #680541

last week my goal was to be in bed by 10. i'm going to continue that goal. i'm with julia on my other goal, it is to drink more water during the day. i have a big water bottle and my goal is to drink two of those, at least.

ok, i think i'm officially addicted! sunday was my 'rest' day so i didn't have any workouts planned. then yesterday (monday) i watched my friend's kids because she was having a baby so i didn't get a workout in. last night i felt tired, grumpy, easily annoyed, etc. (ok, maybe all of that was because i had 6 kids under age 5 all day/night...ha ha!) but i really felt like i had really missed a HUGE part of my 'usual' day!! it was so frustrating! anyway, my husband and i talked about it last night and we decided that i NEED my workouts EVERY DAY on my training schedule, or ELSE! ha ha!
i'm addicted i guess. today i can't WAIT to run and swim!

Megan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18