of 13

2007-06-03 6:12 PM
in reply to: #826711

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: jszat's group- closed
kanders - 2007-06-02 11:58 AM

My biggest area of concern is getting ready for the half marathon I've got that's 2 weeks out from today!!! Ack! In that regard, I keep getting a smallish blister on the bottom of my foot. Sock recommendations?

I'm using Under Armour socks and I love them. I'm not sure what model they are but they feel great. I also use body glide on my feet where I used to get blisters.

2007-06-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: #827451

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
kanders - 2007-06-02 11:58 AM

My biggest area of concern is getting ready for the half marathon I've got that's 2 weeks out from today!!! Ack! In that regard, I keep getting a smallish blister on the bottom of my foot. Sock recommendations?

I have used a bunch of different brands (under armor, asics, etc.). I would suggest going to you LRS (local RUNNING store) and pick up seamless, running specific socks. There is all kinds of different thicknesses and sizes. I found I prefer really thin socks but you will have to find out what works best for you. Just pick up a bunch of different types and find ones that are the most comforable and wear the best. I recently ran in regular cotton socks and almost destroyed my feet. I swear by them now.

It makes sense that the first thing we do as triathletes is goto a running store and get properly fitted for shoes and a bike shop to get fitted for a bike... but never really worry about what we are putting into a specialty products.
2007-06-04 9:04 AM
in reply to: #826459

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Justin,

Thanks for the inspiration. We all need it sometimes. I am getting back on that horse!

Ted
2007-06-05 9:56 AM
in reply to: #826459

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-06-01 9:23 PM Ted, You should have more than enough time to complete the tri training in 3 mos. You just need to get out there and hit the pavement, water or trail. Training is much more of a mental game than a physical game most of the time for sprint tri's for those that can get close to the singular leg distances. Make sure you take you time and make sure you are training within your levels/limits. Don't go out there and try to kill every single workout but make sure you get out there and do it... period. I'll send you inspires every day if you need it. Hell, I'll personally call you every day if you need it. That goes for everyone in this mentor group. Isn't it why we signed up for this in the first place? I really believe in the power of exercise. It makes you less stressed, healthier, smarter and happier. It is a known fact and scientifically proven. You can do it, just believe in yourself and you can do it. The goal is not split time, miles per hour, average pace, resting heart rates, what bike you ride, how you fuel or who you are. It is about finishing this thing. It is about meeting one of YOUR goals. Staring YOURSELF in the eye when you are out there and beating yourself. It is just you out there doing it for you, no one else. I know that this is a rant. But hey sometime we all need to hear it. Go after your goal Ted and we will be there watching and waiting to hear about it. Kindest Regards, Justin

Well said.  Racing is truly just getting out there day in day out to prep for what event you are doing.  Again, I would suggest looking at why you are doing this and use it to keep focus. 

2007-06-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #826046

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-06-01 2:15 PM I guess the best question would be is are you seeing things that we should be working on/focusing on more than others? I know that I have been seeing incremental increases in my averages as I have progressed this month but should I be doing more?? Speed/Interval Training? Maybe it is the general Donkey mojo that you exude that is making all of us better

This past weekend was kinda hectic having a race and all, so sorry for being a bit AWOL the past few days.  I will be peeking through blogs to say hey.

2007-06-05 5:00 PM
in reply to: #803897

User image

Veteran
Sorry I've been AWOL from the group lately, we've just finished up moving into a new house so things have been very hectic. We had NO babysitters, so we had to move AND keep track of 5 childrend, the youngest being 20 months.  Can you say stressful?!?  Anyhow, hope all of you have been doing well, and I'll try to get my but in gear soon both with the posting and in the gym

2007-06-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #826173

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

TeddieMao - 2007-06-01 3:20 PM I have been a little lazy lately. I have a swim assessment for TNT on Wednesday and I will probably fail. Haven't swam in over two months since I was sick plus I miss most of the practices due to work. I have 3 months until the Chicago Tri so I think I have some time. Or don't I??

So is swimming the sore spot for ya?  If so, what have you been using or looking at to try and improve?  I have long had frustration with it and only have recently become a funtional freestyler.  Before that most of my races were sidestroke, which is perfectly fine, but can burn up the legs a bit if you kick lots.

2007-06-06 8:50 AM
in reply to: #831690

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
jszat - 2007-06-06 8:02 AM

TeddieMao - 2007-06-01 3:20 PM I have been a little lazy lately. I have a swim assessment for TNT on Wednesday and I will probably fail. Haven't swam in over two months since I was sick plus I miss most of the practices due to work. I have 3 months until the Chicago Tri so I think I have some time. Or don't I??

So is swimming the sore spot for ya?  If so, what have you been using or looking at to try and improve?  I have long had frustration with it and only have recently become a funtional freestyler.  Before that most of my races were sidestroke, which is perfectly fine, but can burn up the legs a bit if you kick lots.

Swimming is definitely the sore spot. I love to swim but leisurely. I have trouble breathing properly. I am reading TI but it is taking a lot of time. Then there is the problem of motivation. Actually going to the pool.
2007-06-06 8:56 AM
in reply to: #831803

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
TeddieMao - 2007-06-06 8:50 AM
jszat - 2007-06-06 8:02 AM

Swimming is definitely the sore spot. I love to swim but leisurely. I have trouble breathing properly. I am reading TI but it is taking a lot of time. Then there is the problem of motivation. Actually going to the pool.

I would highly recommend the DVD too as I got my start with the book and DVD.  It is a great way to get comfy in the water and understand the basics, but eventually you will grow out of it.  I was in the same boat kind of just getting in the pool once in a while to make it seem like I was swimming.  For me it helped to get into a race distance that was way more than I thought I could do and lemme tell ya, that gets you in the pool!

2007-06-06 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
While at the pool last night, I got to watch one of the off duty life guards doing laps. This is the first time I've seen someone swimming front crawl that looked like someone I should pay attention to.

The one thing I did notice was her hand entry into the water. Her hand was entering the water thumb down. I tried it and found I liked it. It seemed to make things smoother.

I'm still working on the breathing. I've read Total Immersion multiple times and for now, I'm following their methods of breathing. I think I exaggerate my body roll too much when breathing and it slows me down. If you've read TI, you know what I'm talking about - "like your breathing with your belly button". It does work, and it does allow me to swim, but it just doesn't seem to be very efficient. I've been practicing "Popeye" breathing and am trying to incorporate it into my laps. Popeye = one eye still in the water, side of mouth underwater closed and side of mouth out of water open.
2007-06-06 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I'm officially signed up for my first Tri. It will be a reverse in Allen, TX - 5K run, 15 mile bike, 400m pool swim. June 24th.

2007-06-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: #831821

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

KenD - 2007-06-06 8:58 AM While at the pool last night, I got to watch one of the off duty life guards doing laps. This is the first time I've seen someone swimming front crawl that looked like someone I should pay attention to. The one thing I did notice was her hand entry into the water. Her hand was entering the water thumb down. I tried it and found I liked it. It seemed to make things smoother. I'm still working on the breathing. I've read Total Immersion multiple times and for now, I'm following their methods of breathing. I think I exaggerate my body roll too much when breathing and it slows me down. If you've read TI, you know what I'm talking about - "like your breathing with your belly button". It does work, and it does allow me to swim, but it just doesn't seem to be very efficient. I've been practicing "Popeye" breathing and am trying to incorporate it into my laps. Popeye = one eye still in the water, side of mouth underwater closed and side of mouth out of water open.

Watching others that can swim well (in a non creepy way and please honor any outstanding restraining orders) was one of the ways that I have made some key breakthroughs, one of them being improving my breathing.  By changing my roll about a half second, I now longer felt like I was dunking my head in the drink before getting a full breath.  Each and every session there is so much you can tweak, so focus on roll for a few sets, then pull, then head position.  If you keep focusing and working to refine the parts, the sum eventually improves.  It takes time and really is a continuous process.  Try to embrace the challenge of improvement vs the whole suckiness of swimming at this point.  I actually think I am starting to enjoy it a bit (OWS for sure vs pool swimming).  And I will be honest- if I never had the goal of doing IM's I probably would have never put this much effort into swimming.  Baby steps are key and keep with the TI drills even as you become proficient as they help a lot with balance and hydrodynamics.

2007-06-06 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Got my latest cholestrol results back. With diet, exercise and medication, my cholestrol has gone from 230 to 140 in 3 months. My blood pressure has gone from averagine 150/105 to 108/62. If I stop following one of the three (either diet, exercise or medication), blood pressure and cholestrol go back up. Here's every day proof that this stuff works.
2007-06-06 9:14 AM
in reply to: #831853

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
jszat - 2007-06-06 9:10 AM

Watching others that can swim well (in a non creepy way and please honor any outstanding restraining orders)

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Luckily, most of the life guards up there know me now, (at least by face, if not by name) either by teaching my kids or providing pointers to me. I normally talk to them about pointers to improve.
2007-06-06 10:03 AM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
Watching others has helped me immensely. My gym is full of really good swimmers. I'm even at a point now (after a recent breakthrough) where I watch them in the lanes next to me WHILE I'm swimming. Just yesterday I picked something up from the guy next to me and incorporated it mid-lap.

I try not to be creepy, and I think most others understand what my deal is. I've even asked to watch before, so don't be afraid to do that. Good swimmers know it's expected. And not that I'm a "good" swimmer, but I myself became one of the watched for the first time yesterday, to somebody who looked like they couldn't decide if they wanted to even get in the water. It was a good feeling actually.
2007-06-06 10:14 AM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
A quick update to the group (sorry a few days late)... I raced on Sunday (and met Joe there). I could have done better, but could have done worse too. I'm marginally satisfied. If you want the details you can check my race log, or a more detailed write-up on my blog (link in my profile).

So, who's racing next? I'm doing a 5K on the 16th and a super sprint tri on the 30th.

Edited by stainofmind 2007-06-06 10:15 AM

2007-06-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #832012

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

stainofmind - 2007-06-06 10:14 AM A quick update to the group (sorry a few days late)... I raced on Sunday (and met Joe there). I could have done better, but could have done worse too. I'm marginally satisfied. If you want the details you can check my race log, or a more detailed write-up on my blog (link in my profile). So, who's racing next? I'm doing a 5K on the 16th and a super sprint tri on the 30th.

Was nice meeting you on Sunday.  Your race report was kind of brief.  Where do you think you can make the biggest gains in the future?  Did you get the bike thing figured out?  Sometimes if I shift too fast I drop my chain.  Was the chain clicking or ???

I have High Cliff HIM on June 24 and then Door County Oly on July 22nd.  After that, its laser focus on MOO.  I saw something for a two mile swim in northern IL and would like to maybe do another bike tour just to mix things up a bit as the longer rides will surely start to blend together soon on the same terrain.

2007-06-06 10:43 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe I go at the wrong times to the gym but I have seen very few people to watch.

I have to also admit I have never read TI. Probably should... but I am comfortable in the water and have had pretty good form for most of my life. My family has a long history of swimming. Anyone here have experience being a comfortable and relatively sucessful swimmer before picking up TI?
2007-06-06 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
stainofmind - 2007-06-06 11:14 AM

A quick update to the group (sorry a few days late)... I raced on Sunday (and met Joe there). I could have done better, but could have done worse too. I'm marginally satisfied. If you want the details you can check my race log, or a more detailed write-up on my blog (link in my profile).

So, who's racing next? I'm doing a 5K on the 16th and a super sprint tri on the 30th.

Sprint this weekend on Sunday. I think I am ready to put in a good MOP performace. I am just hoping to beat my last time on the course of ~1:42

Edit: This sprint is pretty long by most standards... .5mile swim (about 890 yds in actuality according to google), 17.2 mile bike and the standard 5k.

Edited by JChristoff 2007-06-06 10:53 AM
2007-06-06 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Not I. I grew up with a swimming pool but the majority of my "swimming" was underwater or just playing around.
2007-06-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: #832113

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-06-06 10:43 AM Maybe I go at the wrong times to the gym but I have seen very few people to watch. I have to also admit I have never read TI. Probably should... but I am comfortable in the water and have had pretty good form for most of my life. My family has a long history of swimming. Anyone here have experience being a comfortable and relatively sucessful swimmer before picking up TI?

The feedback on the forums here is generally that TI is great for beginners but to swim fast, you need to modify some of its teachings.  That said, I think the balance drills and all that never get old and I see a lot of good swimmers doing variations of the TI stuff.

2007-06-06 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
I have my half-mary on 6/16 - The Bjorklund Half (Grandma's) in Duluth, MN. I'm feeling pretty pumped. After that my first tri isn't for another 3 weeks.

Also, a quick explanation of my avatar change - it's not that I like my azz that much, or am trying to make a statement. I participated in a swim challenge over on the challenges forum, and the girls lost, so there ya go. An assatar was born. I feel like I must explain it to all my peeps!

It will be changed back on July 1.

I'll have to go and check y'alls race reports later!
2007-06-06 12:43 PM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
jszat - 2007-06-06 10:23 AM

stainofmind - 2007-06-06 10:14 AM A quick update to the group (sorry a few days late)... I raced on Sunday (and met Joe there). I could have done better, but could have done worse too. I'm marginally satisfied. If you want the details you can check my race log, or a more detailed write-up on my blog (link in my profile). So, who's racing next? I'm doing a 5K on the 16th and a super sprint tri on the 30th.

Was nice meeting you on Sunday. Your race report was kind of brief. Where do you think you can make the biggest gains in the future? Did you get the bike thing figured out? Sometimes if I shift too fast I drop my chain. Was the chain clicking or ???

I have High Cliff HIM on June 24 and then Door County Oly on July 22nd. After that, its laser focus on MOO. I saw something for a two mile swim in northern IL and would like to maybe do another bike tour just to mix things up a bit as the longer rides will surely start to blend together soon on the same terrain.

Nice meeting you too.

Yeah, I admit I can be short on words sometimes. I still haven't come away with anything specific I feel like I need to work on, except to just keep doing, as I could obviously improve in every aspect. My biggest disappointment however was the run. I can run a 24-min 5K, yet I suffered to a 28:26 Sunday, which I think might have been mostly a nutritional problem (I ate less than usual because I didn't want the nervous s**ts). I assume that's something that I'll just figure out with experience. As for the shifting, I tried going down in the front at the same time I went down 2 rings in the back while cranking up a small incline, I just think this was a way too aggressive move. I ride in that particular configuration all of the time, but jumping 1 in front and 2 in back simeultaneously isn't a poor decision I typically make during normal workouts. I have done it once before. I want to learn how to throw it back on using the shifters.

My soreness has officially subsided (running last night helped), so now I almost feel like I'm ready to race again this weekend. I just can't get enough.

So Justin is next this weekend. Good luck Justin.

Edited by stainofmind 2007-06-06 12:45 PM
2007-06-07 6:56 AM
in reply to: #832394

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
stainofmind - 2007-06-06 1:43 PM

So Justin is next this weekend. Good luck Justin.

Thanks Jason.

I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Planning a brick swim and bike tonight after work. Going to focus on sighting in the pool and will probably do a stationary bike ride for the end of the brick. Swimming is the one part that I am worried about. I know I can complete this tri without any issues. I have done double the distance in each event before. I just want to complete each portion as well as or better than I train.

Keep me in your thoughts everyone. Butterflies are getting worse and worse everyday. I know it is just a Sprint but it my first one in two years.
2007-06-08 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I now have a 1 year USAT membership. I debated the one day but, what the heck.

I am now a card-carrying want-to-be triathlete.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's group- closed Rss Feed  

of 13