of 42

2007-06-01 8:34 AM
in reply to: #824544

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - OPEN

grnidone - 2007-05-31 3:51 PM
If it's not during a race and just a lake you're swimming in, look for a physical location to guide off of.
I guess I wasn't clear. I do know the technique of finding a fixed point in the distance to guide off of -- I had to do that when I worked the fields growing up in Kansas -- but I don't know the actual technique. At what part of the stroke do I/ can I look forward without losing my swimming form?

Another way, which is similiar, is how I do it.  Personally, I breath every stroke.  So I breath 5 times to my left side, then when I go to breath, instead of breathing to the left, I look in front of me and sight while inhaling.  My head goes back in the water on my right side and I breath 5 times on that side and repeat.  Start with 3 strokes because you will find that you zig zag if you're not consistant on each side.

A great way to practice is to put a water bottle at each end of your lane.  Every third stroke, sight on the water bottle.  If you're in a 50 meter pool, you can use a kick board leaned against your water bottle.  Swimming with your eyes closed is a great way to see if you are favoring one side and practice swimming straight, but IMO not a great way to practice sighting.

2007-06-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Good luck everyone with your training and for any one that has any races this weekend...

I'm heading to Orlando for a conference all next week, but fortunately it's a taper week before my second tri ever, and my first Olympic next Saturday here on Long Island. I'm sure I'll be able to get my realatively short workouts in next week.

2007-06-01 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Hey everybody...thanks for the inspires! Its been great catching up on the thread. I definitely needed the advice on sighting.

So, here is my question for all of you veterans out there.....My first tri is in 10 days....what do you know now that you wish you had known at your first tri?

(Besides, just have fun with it....I'm planning on that!!! )

TIA
2007-06-02 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I just did my third OWS and each one has been completely different. This one was good, but it was the first with some chop. I am REALLY glad I did it. With no chop, I basically swam straight - this time, I was a drunk swimmer and had to keep correcting my path.

I sight the opposite as described here. I look then turn my head and breathe. Most of the time, my mouth is still under water when I look.

I did learn today that it would be beneficial to learn to breathe on the left side also (I always breathe on my right). For half of my laps today, that was the side with the waves hitting me.

Edited by Afletcher 2007-06-02 6:26 PM
2007-06-02 9:35 PM
in reply to: #825767

User image

Regular
Kristen,

I made the following mistakes on my Tri last Monday:

1) I ate terrible leading up to the race and I noticed it at the beginning of the run.
2) I never paced myself. I started hard and ended hard. I think I will try to feel more comfortable in the next race (6/10).
3) I also think I over hydrated. I was so worried about being dehydrated that I drank a ton. It felt like a fish bowl in my stomach. A sprint is around 1 1/2 - 2 hours in length which is not that long.

Just a few of my mistakes, I will have more to offer after 6/10.

Aaron
2007-06-02 10:22 PM
in reply to: #825280

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
The idea behind the eye's closed bit is to allow one to no longer rely on the lines at the bottom of the pool. The first open water swim can be a rude awakening, if a newcomer hasn't had any open water experience. The only visuals I got IN the water were the occasional flash of someone's hand/ankle as they cruised past me . Hence, the suggestion about the eyes. Yes, it can have the advantage/disadvantage of letting you know on which side you pull more strongly; but, you don't necessarily have to focus on just that aspect of it. Just a thought, mind you.

2007-06-03 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Thanks Firstriguy.....good advice.

Good luck at your 6/10 race!!! It will be great to compare notes.
2007-06-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #825767

User image

kriscrn - 2007-06-01 12:28 PM Hey everybody...thanks for the inspires! Its been great catching up on the thread. I definitely needed the advice on sighting. So, here is my question for all of you veterans out there.....My first tri is in 10 days....what do you know now that you wish you had known at your first tri? (Besides, just have fun with it....I'm planning on that!!! ) TIA

In my first tri, I was very intimidated.  I saw a bunch of people walking around that were in a lot better shape than me and I started to doubt myself.  Please don't do that to yourself.  Train hard and do the race.  Don't let anyone else make you feel like you can't do it, because you can and you know it.  Self-doubt on race day is never good.

Always remember DFL >>> DNF >>> DNS.  For those that have never seen that on this site, it means Dead F*cking Last is WAY better than Did Not Finish is WAY better than Did Not Start.

2007-06-04 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Love that quote Robyn!
2007-06-04 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
I have sort of figured out a way to sight things in the water ahead of me, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Basically, on about the 3rd or 4th stroke -- I don't usually count -- I use my left arm on the down stroke to "push" myself up out of the water. (In fact, my left arm is kind of bent when I do it to help pop me up.)

It's a brief moment, but I can see what is in front of me. Then, after the "half pop up stroke" I sort of crash down into the water like a breeching humpback whale.

Usually, I do not get water into my nose, but sometimes I do.

I can't figure out another way to do this. I do manage a forward motion throughout all of this, and I don't break my stroke. I don't think it's the most graceful thing in the world..

Is there a better way to do this?
2007-06-04 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
I am reading "Total Immersion Swimming" by Terry Laughlin right now. And haven't yet gone swimming this season....hoping that when I do I will be swimming like a fish! He recommends bilateral breathing, looking up and forward two or three times per pool length (or about every 4-6 strokes in OW), visualize your landmarks before you look for them, study the course before the race, draft off another swimmer (hopefully they are good at swimming in line!) and use a high elbow recovery if it is choppy water. He also advocates the closed-eye practice in the pool.

I have another topic to discuss: Athena/Clydesdale vs age group entry in a race....
One triathlon I am considering in September has an Athena group--last year there were only 15 finishers in the Athena 30-39 category versus 45 finishers in the 35-39 age group, and the times seemed a lot more 'reasonable' for a beginner. Any opinions when that is an option?

2007-06-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: #829204

User image

grnidone - 2007-06-04 3:20 PM I have sort of figured out a way to sight things in the water ahead of me, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Basically, on about the 3rd or 4th stroke -- I don't usually count -- I use my left arm on the down stroke to "push" myself up out of the water. (In fact, my left arm is kind of bent when I do it to help pop me up.) It's a brief moment, but I can see what is in front of me. Then, after the "half pop up stroke" I sort of crash down into the water like a breeching humpback whale. Usually, I do not get water into my nose, but sometimes I do. I can't figure out another way to do this. I do manage a forward motion throughout all of this, and I don't break my stroke. I don't think it's the most graceful thing in the world.. Is there a better way to do this?

Everyone's stroke is different, so you really need to just practice and find what works best for you.  I am also a Total Immersion swimmer!

2007-06-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: #829290

User image

Medusa_Ann - 2007-06-04 3:54 PM I have another topic to discuss: Athena/Clydesdale vs age group entry in a race.... One triathlon I am considering in September has an Athena group--last year there were only 15 finishers in the Athena 30-39 category versus 45 finishers in the 35-39 age group, and the times seemed a lot more 'reasonable' for a beginner. Any opinions when that is an option?

I think this is totally a personal choice.  I do know that the 35-39 age group tends to be the fastest, if that helps you make a decision.

2007-06-04 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
I have been reading the TI book as well. I have just started using it the past couple of weeks when I finally had the nerve to put on a bathing suit in public (OMG, still don't wanna, but hafta). I am still working the first four drills of the book, but it has already helped me feel like I am actually almost swimming and not just trying not to drown.

I have a fear of water and hoping if I can be more fishlike I will not almost have a panic attack just watching videos of a tri start.
2007-06-04 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I am also a Total Immersion swimmer!

What does that mean?

Athena/Clydesdale vs age group entry in a race....

And...what does THAT mean?

Edited by grnidone 2007-06-04 5:06 PM
2007-06-04 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Athenas are women over 150 lbs and Clydesdales are men over 198 lbs. I don't know much beyond that, as far as how people in those weight ranges choose to race, etc. I know that there must be professional triathletes who are over that weight, so maybe it is also related to expertise or experience. Not sure, so that's why I asked! I will never be under 150 lb, so will always be Athena, but am not sure if I will find more personal success/challenge in my age group (38) or in my weight class....??? Or does it even matter? Back when I was involved in triathlon as a director or volunteer, those words weren't around, at least I don't remember hearing them!

2007-06-04 10:03 PM

User image

Total Immersion is a school of thought regarding your swim stroke.  Generally, it involves rolling your body from side to side during each stroke.  It gets a bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea....

Some people don't like it, but personally, I think its great.  Especially for beginners.

2007-06-05 6:35 AM
in reply to: #829424

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

grnidone - 2007-06-04 6:02 PM
I am also a Total Immersion swimmer!
What does that mean?
Athena/Clydesdale vs age group entry in a race....
And...what does THAT mean?

Like Robyn said, Total Immersion is just a style or method of swimming.  Basically it goes on the premise that completely submerged head is more streamlined.  It's a great way to get people use to swimming that are not comfortable in the water.  Very methodical.  Here is the website: http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Athena is just another subset for Triathlon.  Just like an Age Group.  Like others have said, it's based purely off of weight not experience.    My recommendation is to register as an Athena.  Both groups will be competitive, so you'll do great in either one.

2007-06-05 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
OK.

Can we then go over the weight classes/ age groups that there are? I just figured everyone was in the same pack, and it was everyone for themselves.
2007-06-05 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
OK. I will admit that I am not too fancy on a computer. How do I cross out my goals on my LOG page?
2007-06-05 9:41 AM
in reply to: #830186

User image

Veteran
Virginia
The classes are Elite, Age Group, and Athena/Clydesdale.  Age group is broken into 5 year increments, 30-34, 35-39, etc.  Usually, the results will list your place overall in the race, plus your place in your class.

2007-06-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: #830208

User image

Veteran
Virginia

firstriguy - 2007-06-05 10:26 AM OK. I will admit that I am not too fancy on a computer. How do I cross out my goals on my LOG page?

Aaron, highlight the text that you want to cross out and click the "strikethrough" button.  It looks like ABC with a line through it.  It's the 4th button.  There is B for Bold, I for Italics, U for underline, and then the ABC for strikethrough.

2007-06-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: #830257

User image

Expert
I am in the CLydesdale divison in our race on 6/10. My biggest concern is that my wave starts last in the swim and the people doing the Olympic race will start first and probably lap me and swim over the top of me in the water. YIKES! I am proud to be a fatty doing this sort of thing. It is much harder to drag my fat around these courses than the skinnies!!!! If I ever won a clydesdale medal, I would hang it above Firstriguy's desk with my picture and autograph!!
2007-06-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: #830528

User image

gator22 - 2007-06-05 11:28 AM I am in the CLydesdale divison in our race on 6/10. My biggest concern is that my wave starts last in the swim and the people doing the Olympic race will start first and probably lap me and swim over the top of me in the water. YIKES! I am proud to be a fatty doing this sort of thing. It is much harder to drag my fat around these courses than the skinnies!!!! If I ever won a clydesdale medal, I would hang it above Firstriguy's desk with my picture and autograph!!

At least it makes it harder for people to bully you around in the water.  I got punched in the face by some dude at my last race.  If he hadn't been 4x my size I would have punched him back.

2007-06-05 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I am proud to be a fatty

Scr*w that. Be proud of you because you're a h*ll of a person. Do not label yourself as a 'fatty' because then you are allowing others to label you that way as well. And frankly, Labels Suck.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42