BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-07-02 1:57 PM
in reply to: #818033

User image

Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: Runnertridu Girl Group
whoo hooo, bought a bike helmet-FINALLY! And despite the fact I got a "youth" one, it was still too big so returned it today for a better, more adjustable one. Must say, quite stunning (please read the heavy sarcasm, lol). Also got some new goggles. I guess I'd better tri.

Need to shake some cobwebs off the bike and go hit the road tonight. Been a while, should I be riding facing traffic or away from traffic or down the middle ?

2007-07-02 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Bat- Just don't mix up the gear and hit the water wearing your helmet...

Question on Brick or mini Du's...

I've been doing a Brick a week, though its more a mini du. How beneficial are these? I plan to do a 1mile run, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run tomorrow... I plan on a July 22nd Bi of similar distance (18 mile on the bike)...

Eric J
2007-07-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #869209

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I do about 1 bike/run brick per week. Many other days I do two facets in the same day but rarely back to back. There's nothing like getting used to the feeling of running after hopping off the bike. Michelle is the queen of bricks.

2007-07-02 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Just found out I'm racing this weekend. Short but fast cycling road race... Means I gotta take the aero bars off AGAIN! I can't wait to buy my Tri bike...Grrrr....

Eric J
2007-07-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #869672

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Eric,

How is 'short' defined when it comes to a cycling road race, as in how many miles?
2007-07-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: #870209

User image

Expert
17 miles. But that means it will be fast and all out, no reason to conserve...

Eric J

2007-07-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #870231

User image

Master
, Minnesota
17 mi's all out sounds fun. They have time trials here in the mpls/st paul area, but I've never partaken in one. I did the bike leg of a sprint tri one time ALL OUT and nearly puked afteward. Fun stuff!

2007-07-03 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
As for bricks, I was aiming to do one a week. However, I read a short interview with Karen Smyers in U.S. News & World Report where she said she always runs after every bike ride, even if it is just a mile. I think that would help train my legs to feel normal sooner after transitioning to the run. So, I am working to make that a habit.

Is there any harm in doing too many bricks, other than that they are not pleasant at first?
2007-07-03 11:33 AM

User image

Richmond, VA
well I swam today and it wasn't pretty but I put in a good effort for 30 min. Tried different things I had read about and just wanted to gauge where I am. I'm definately at the beginning but it didn't kill me. Afterwards I ran a easy paced 3 miles. I know that's not the usual order but is it ok? I figure neither were max effort (although the swimming felt like it at times).
2007-07-03 11:44 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Love bricks!! They have become a favorite - i do multi bricks r/b/r/b soon you will run fast off the bike and have no weird leg feelings. I do bricks sometimes 3 x a week - level the intensity w/ heart rate!

Workout order - i workout out in all kinds of crazy order - when I can fit it in - no harm done!!

Can't wait to try bike racing - that aero bar thing is a pain - soooo i've just been group riding and that turns into a mini race each week - love that draft -

Still learning about sprinting and power plays on bike!! Eric your cadence on the bike should translate into some fast run times - looking forward to seeing you're Du results.

Do you all use a Heart Rate Monitor - Leap and I - both live by them for training... start that topic.

Would also like to get an idea of run times can you each give me your recent 5k/10k/1/2 or marathon times??

I'll check your profiles too but try to make it easy!!

Thanks!!

Michelle

Have a GREAT 4th - Riding to watch Roger run 5 miler - then off to 3 cookouts!! Eating good!!

:-)

2007-07-03 12:04 PM
in reply to: #870604

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I've got to try one of those r/b/r/b bricks. My coach may not subscribe to that philosophy, but I'll ping her to get the skinny on why not.

I also don't worry about workout order and rarely do back to backs during the week. I typically do one facet in the AM, one PM and save the bricks for the weekend when I have longer blocks of time set aside.

I went and watched a bike race (criterim?) here in mpls a couple weekends ago. Those racers are crazy!

I rarely do a workout ('cept swims) without my HR monitor. Each workout has a purpose and specific zones prescribed. Sort of like a speedometer.

5k: 21:15 (1)
10: never done one
10 mi: 1:12 (2)
13.1: 1:40 (2)
26.2: 3:53 (8)

I really haven't been doing this very long so haven't amassed much data with respect to races.

2007-07-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: #870604

User image

Richmond, VA
michlmead - 2007-07-03 12:44 PM

Do you all use a Heart Rate Monitor - Leap and I - both live by them for training... start that topic.

Would also like to get an idea of run times can you each give me your recent 5k/10k/1/2 or marathon times??

I'll check your profiles too but try to make it easy!!

Thanks!!

Michelle

Have a GREAT 4th - Riding to watch Roger run 5 miler - then off to 3 cookouts!! Eating good!!

:-)

I have a HRM but don't use it all the time. I do plan to start using it more now that my training plans have changed. I have the triatheletes bible and just haven't had the time to get all my zones mapped out.

As for my race times, they were faster before my bout of ITBS but I'm finally on hte upswing again. I have a 5k next MOnday so I'll post that soon but for now my last HM was about 2:12,
2007-07-03 12:10 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
I had my doubts at first but the 30min run/bike x 2 or 3 made me fast off the bike - and faster in trasition - more practice

Slammed that first mile in tri - 6:05 little too fast - but felt great!!

M
2007-07-03 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Here are race times (no recent races aside from the sprint tri since my thyroid disease had me sidelined this spring):

5k - 23:00
10k - 50:28
10 Miler - 1:22:00
Marathon - 4:15:00

My last marathon was about 5 years ago. I have been running more 10ks and 10 milers since moving away from my running group. It is hard to do those long runs alone!
2007-07-03 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
I do have an HRM that I use regularly. I had been using it to make sure my heart rate was not getting too high while I was still hyperthyroid, but now that I am hypothyroid/euthyroid (normal), I want to start using it to train. I also need to determine my zones as set out in the triathlete's training bible.

I have noticed that I think my max heart rate and my heart rate while training is higher than average. For instance, when running it usually sits between 168-178 bpm on even terrain, moderate effort (can still carry on a conversation). When running up hills trying to maintain pace it gets up to 185 or so, sometimes 190+, bpm. I can still speak in 1-3 word sentences with my heart rate up that high and don't feel crazy winded like I do at the end of a track interval (which I have not done since getting my HRM because of my thyroid, so I don't know what my heart rate is then). If I test my zones, I think I will be better able to figure it out. My endocrinologist said that while I was hyperthyroid my max did not change/increase, but my heart regularly beat faster, which got me up to my max in a short period of time. I did see 208 bpm once while riding up a very steep hill when I was still hyperthyroid, so I figure my max may be near that. I know I should talk to my doctor about this next time, but is this something I should worry about? Is the fact that my heart runs at a higher rate when training a sign that my fitness needs improvement? My resting heart rate is usually 52-54, which seems about right - that's what my doctor was predicting it should be given my training/fitness.

On another note, does heart rate training work? I assume it does or you guys would not be using it. My husband thinks I should stop using my HRM on runs/rides and get used to running based on my perceived effort rather than getting fixated on a number. I plan to keep using it since I hear it makes training more efficient, and given my tight work schedule I am all about efficiency! Now, he is a natural athelete (played soccer at UNC-Chapel Hill), so he can get away with a less structured approach, so that may be where his resistance is coming from.

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2007-07-03 12:41 PM
2007-07-03 12:49 PM

User image

Hi! I would like to join your group.

Here is my 411:

I am 32yrs. A mother of 2 girls - a 3 year old and almost 5mos. My husband is my biggest fan. I was a competitive swimmer in HS and some college. I have always wanted to do triathlons. My Dad and husband have cycle for awhile and would take me along. They taught me a lot about cycling. As for running, it is my worst. I did track in Jr High and had shin splints and almost joined the cross country team but I joined the swim team first and that was that.

A few years ago I was talking to one of my co workers who is a runner and has done a few sprint tris. We decided to do a team triathlon. It was so much fun! So I signed up to do a sprint triathlon a month later (it was in Oct.). Then the following year I did one triathlon and became pregnant 2 months after. Didn't do anything for the first few months. Then started swimming again on a masters swim team in my 4th month with my neighbor almost up to my delivery date.

I was very anxious to get back and try to do triathlons again. As soon as I got the OK from my DR. I started to swimming again. Then my neigbor asked if I would like to bike with her and another girl . I was excited but nervous. I started out riding 20miles all flat a couple of times a week. I am finally able to keep up with them. YEA!!

As for the running I am off to a slow start. Tried it in May then hurt my knee. So now I am getting back into it. Starting really, really slow. Hopefully by the last tri (Oct.). I will be able to run the WHOLE 5K.

Well I look forward to hearing from you all. I hope I can help in some areas EXCEPT the run and maybe I can get some advice or encouragement. I have my first triathlon July 14th. Nervous but very excited.

I also just started back at work last week :( . I am a Peds nurse. It is going to put a little challenge on working out 5 days a week.

This is a long. Have to go babies calling me:)

Kristina

2007-07-03 4:12 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Kristina

Welcome to the group!! I can always use the swim secrets!! We can help on Run and bike!!
Glad to have you!!

Michelle
2007-07-03 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Well... There's no backing out now. I just registered for my first Biathlon on July 22nd. This is a preview for my first Triathlon in August...

Both Sprints....

Eric J
2007-07-05 7:37 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Welcome, Kristina! I have only been part of this group for a week or so, but these are all great folks who are willing to help newbies like me!

Courage, we will both be racing on 7/22. I have the NYC Triathlon that day - my first Olympic distance tri. I am getting nervous and excited!

I know this is small-time for those of you cyclists, but my husband and I celebrated Independence Day by riding 50 mi. yesterday for the first time in the hills of Virginia horse country. The last third was tough (we went out too fast), but I really felt a sense of accomplishment and learned a lot. Feels nice to say I rode a half Century - that is a respectable distance! It gives me some hope that a half ironman in 2008 is possible, but I will definitely need to work to get there. I was looking at the 26 week HIM plan in my Gale Bernhardt book, and it looks doable.

Oh, we had put our clip-on aero bars on our bikes, and I picked up aero bar water bottles for us. It made a big difference in fluid intake. I was a bit squirrelly in my aero bars, and there were too many hills to stay in a single gear for long. So, I plan to practice riding aero this weekend on the straight, flat roads at the River. I will also try out my new wetsuit during the weekend's OWS.

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2007-07-05 8:41 AM
2007-07-05 8:14 AM
in reply to: #872395

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Eric, congrats on commiting to your race. Sign up, build/execute the plan and execute come race day - simple, right?

I thought I'd share my 65 mi solo biking adventure from yesterday. It was a gorgous morning - AM fog that burned off. I head out and all is well. I hit the turnaround - grab some H2O and am feeling great. On the way home my legs seemed to fade - heat or deydration, perhaps underfueled, slight headwind...all of those went through my head. As I headed the last stretch to home I felt a bit of a wobble and realize my back tire is low on air. I pull into the house and put the guage on it and it's VERY low on air. I'm not sure why it didn't go flat. Difference between out and back was ~2.5 mph.

I got fueled up and went to check out my tire and it was now completely flat. Pulled off the tire and tube and found the culprit - a teeeeny piece of glass that apparently had created a small leak that didn't puncture the tube enough for it to flatten quickly.

What did I learn? When you get a flat, determine the source of the puncture. I'd had a flat on the road last weekend and in my haste I'd just replaced the tube. I didn't really check over the tire very well and overlooked the glass and it came back to haunt me later.

tarheel - great job on your half century and your new aero bars. It'll take a bit to get used to the bars, but the more you use them the more comfy you'll feel and the squirrely feeling will be a distant memory.

Heads up you folks out east - it's hot here in MN.

Have a great week!

Jeff
2007-07-05 1:57 PM

User image

Richmond, VA

hope everyone had a nice 4th yesterday!  We had a neighborhood BBQ/pool party that I ended up running so it kept me from having time to eat too much crap, LOL.  I did go for a quick 5mi run before the fireworks started. 

I just turned today into a rest day so that I can finish painting my living room that I started back in April.  Tomorrow I'll do my first BRICK-bike to the gym or track, run 3 miles and ride home.  

Being very new to anything but running, what's the equivalent in cycling to a short run.  I'd say 3-5 mi is a quick easy run so how far would one bike to get the same feel?  I know it's gonna be different for everyone but a guess?  or how far would someone ride in an hour (without busting )? 

2007-07-05 2:31 PM
in reply to: #873248

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Momm,

Truthfully, after a while all easy bike rides feel about the same. An east 20 miler doesn't feel all that much different than an easy 75 miler. Increase the intensity for the same distance, and it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Being new, all distances may feel tough as you're using a new set of muscles to get the biking done.
2007-07-05 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
momm- Its very subjective. A recovery ride for me could be at a 16-17 mph avg. An AT workout could be 15 miles in 43 minutes. A base mile ride could be 60-70 miles at 17mph avg with serious climbing.

At this point I would tell you ride for "time" rather than mileage. You need time in the saddle to build a base....

Eric J
2007-07-05 7:31 PM

User image

Richmond, VA
thanks guys, I guess I knew that.  So tomorrow I ride to the trac, run my 3 and ride back.   We shall see on the time and miles.  I'll report back then.
2007-07-06 11:40 AM

User image

Richmond, VA
well I did it!!  I rode my mountain bike 4.5 miles to the track, played around with the gears, I like the 3rd on the left and 3rd on the right, not sure wher I should be.  Avg'd 11.5mph, then found the track locked up like Fort Knox so I ran loops in the parking lot (.4) for 7+ times, for my 3 miles(avg 10mm), then rode home at a itty bitty faster pace.  It was a lot of fun for my first time.  Now I will start tweaking it.

Edited by batmomm 2007-07-06 2:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  

of 13