Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1094615

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: willie05's Group - Closed
Bit stuck on managing to stay in the lower heart rate zones. I haven't quite figured out what the Z* zones equate to since I'm only familiar with zone 1-5, but I have my HRM set on a rudimenatry setting of 220-Age = Highest Threshold, and then I can pick a zone to try and target (it doesn't breakdown how long I was in each zone.)

Problem is that even though I now recognize that I need to be in a lower zone, I'm going to have a hard time doing it. Case in Point - the weather was good enough for a ride today, so I figured I'd go out and ride 40K, keep the cadence up, but the heart rate down. Didn't work.

Going out was against a slight wind, and more uphill, so I found myself with an Average HR of 161 which is way above where I should be. BUT - I'm only averaging around 26Km/H for the ride, so if I ride in zone 2 I'm going to be plodding along at less that 20Km/H !! If my pace is slow at a higher rate rate, and I consequently train at an even lower heart rate, what's the point? Even though the focus at the moment is supposed to be on endurance as opposed to intensity, should I accept the fact that I'll run and ride reallllllly slowly and be ok with it, or should I be trying to push my pace so I don't get left behind come race day in the summer?

I'm having a hard time accepting that I should be going slower than I already do, and am looking for some feedback (and convincing).

Thanks,
Squishy

2008-01-13 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Squishy

I am certainly not an expert on HRZ training, but I have been trying it with my running for about 2 months now, so take this info for what it's worth.

From what I have read, the primary purpose of training in Zone 2 in Bob's post is to train you body to use fat as its primary source of fuel as this will allow you to perform the exercise longer (increase endurance). So, when you are just starting out you will be plodding along rather slowly, but endurance increases quickly early in training, so pretty soon you will be able to go at a faster pace while still keeping your HR in Z2.

My early experience was like yours, and I wondered if HRZ training was really very beneficial. This is what I have been experiencing for the past 2 months. Early on I was slogging along at a 10.94 mi/hr pace in Z2 for a 35 min. run. For my last 35 min. run, I had an 8.52 mi/hr pace staying in Z2. I've become a believer. Now, all of the training plans also work in other run sets where you get your HR into the higher zones, but those come later, with more of the focus during winter base training being on endurance through training in Z2.

Here's one last comment. In the Jan. 2008 Triathlete Magazine, Dave Scott had an article on base training. He gave a way of finding training zones a bit different than the 220-age, but still simple. Here it is:
Take 180 and subtract current age
Take this number and make ONE of the following corrections that describes your fitness
-if you have or are recovering from a major illness or year-long training-preventing injury, subtract 10 beats
-if you are sedentary or do less than 2 days of working out a week, or if you have colds or flu every 2-3 weeks, subtract 5 beats
-if you have been working out 3-4 times or more per week for at least 30 minutes each time for a year or more, keep the number where it is
-if for the past year you have consistently worked out 4 or more times per week for more than 30 minutes each time or you work out a total of at least five hours a week, add 5 beats
Note:If you are over 55 years of age or under 25 years of age, take whatever number you now have and add an additional 5 beats.

Hope this helps. Being relatively new to planned, organized training, if figured the people who wrote the plans on BT know more than me, so I decided to try what they suggest. So far, so good.

Mark
2008-01-14 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
mdodd,

Thanks for the feedback - that's exactly what I was looking for. I had really questioned how much of a benefit it would be to train at such a slow speed, but your example gives me a positive outlook on this.

So, the key will be to either set a time or distance, stay in zone 2, and not stress about the pace. I'll put this in place for running (still haven't laced up my shoes) and cycling. I can't really do it for swimming since the group I started swimming with really dictates the pace I need to maintain, and I'm fine with that since it's where I'm weakest and slowest.

Question about the zones - once you figure out the number from Dave Scott's calculation how do you apply it? I'm 35, so my number is 145, and then I didn't really fit into the other categories so I left it where it is. But what does the 145 correspond to?

Thanks,

Squishy

2008-01-14 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Thanks Mark - I read that article over the weekend as well and thought it was interesting and made good points.  I was also glad to see your post as another example of how it works.

That 145 is what the threshold would be for flipping from fat burning to carb burning, so you would want to be training right up to that point (don't take any percentages of it).  The idea is that up to that point your burning fat only, and above that you burn carbohydrate.  You want to train your body to burn the fat store first before the carb. 

A point he made in the article that I hadn't heard before is that training would actually get a little easier just above that point because you would then be in the low end of the carb burning zone instead of the high end of the fat burning zone.  I think I'm going to try that to see that myself.

I agree with you on the swimming.  I'm after technique there.  I do intervals so that I can keep my technique up at faster speeds for longer periods of time.  I don't wear a heart monitor at all for swimming.  For me that definitely crosses the line into too much info to think about.

2008-01-14 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Here's another discussion about the speed going on right now.  A few who have done ironman distances pretty speedy have chimed in as well, and also added in the recovery aspect that I hadn't thought of:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=101006&posts=13#M1155133

2008-01-15 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

In the beat a dead horse dept...

In case you haven't seen it, here is an excellent article about building a base by going slow.  He brought it to terms that I can understand better.  I also like the bit at the end about smelling the roses!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1391

2008-01-15 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I thought I would change up the discussion from base training and slow runs to Interval training which is my favorite type of training for all three sports.

There's an article by Chris Carmichael (Lance's coach) in this month's Bicycling Magazine about using intervals for weight loss.  I never thought of it that way.  I've always used these to improve speed.  I generally mix in one interval training per week for each swimming, biking and running.  In the article he makes the point that using intervals with rest periods between keeps your power output up throughout the entire workout vs. hammering from the getgo where your output drops as the session goes on.  

So by doing intervals your calories burned are about the same as if you were steady the whole time, but the higher output during the intense timeframes helps stimulate change more for your body than riding (or running) at one steady state.

This workout that follows is for an hour.  But if you haven't done any intervals before, cut down on the number that you do, and increase the rest/easy spin time between and then build up to these times and to an hour.  And don't do this workout every time out!  At the end, you should feel pretty well spent - and that you can't wait to go out again! Smile

6' - Warmup

1' - fast pedal, spinning a light gear as fast as you can

1' - recovery spinning

1' - fast pedal

1' - recovery spinning

5x2' - at max intensity w/ 2' recovery spinning between each

6' - recovery spinning

5x2' - at max intensity w/ 2' recovery spinning between each

8' - cooldown

2008-01-15 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
I just read the article on building a base. In the article the author said most base building occurs in the fall. My question is this. Since I am more or less just starting out and my first olympic is in April, should I still be working on building a base and if so how long should I focus on that?

I will admit, on the bike it is hard for me to ride at a recovery rate. Running has been much easier to do at a slower pace, although I found the past week or two I have been picking up the pace.

What do you think I should do? Slow it down again?

Thanks,

-Steven
2008-01-16 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1158573

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

snowriderinfl - 2008-01-15 8:13 PM I just read the article on building a base. In the article the author said most base building occurs in the fall. My question is this. Since I am more or less just starting out and my first olympic is in April, should I still be working on building a base and if so how long should I focus on that? I will admit, on the bike it is hard for me to ride at a recovery rate. Running has been much easier to do at a slower pace, although I found the past week or two I have been picking up the pace. What do you think I should do? Slow it down again? Thanks, -Steven

That's a good point since you're getting close to your race.  You're definitely past the point of just building up your base only.  You should now be doing that plus some more intense training.

Since your about 12 weeks away, I had a look at the Basic Olympic 12 week plan here on BT.  Right from the first week, which would be about now, it's essentially 1 session per week of interval training and 2 sessions of endurance for each of the 3 events.  By week 3 the LT test that we mentioned above is there, then by week 4 the intervals are more intense with significant time at your LT.  The 5th week has the first brick in it (biking, then running immediately afterwards).

Since there is one interval workout per week for each of the sports, it's lined up so that on a day you're doing an interval in one of the events, you're doing an endurance in one of the others.  You should try to have a good long recovery period between these sessions on any given day.  Mine would generally be about 4 hours (before work, then 2nd workout at lunch).

2008-01-16 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
All

FYI -- Here's a link for free resources through trainingbible.com that has a number of downloads you might find useful. http://www2.trainingbible.com/resources.aspx

Mark
2008-01-16 10:15 AM

User image

Central New Hampshire
I just want to say that all of this discussion is extremely helpful to me. I am just soaking it all in and loving it.

Looking at bikes next week. Thinking Trek 1000. Feedback from others for other possibilities at this price/quality point?

2008-01-16 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Great site Mark - thanks!  I haven't seen the videos yet, I do that stuff at home, but I like the articles I've read.

Scott - I just asked one of my friends from my last group to give his impression of the 1000.  He got it in the middle of last year.  He rides it to and from work every day - even in this weather!

2008-01-16 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1159416

User image

Veteran
Virginia

If you don't mind me popping in your thread, I have a Trek 1000 that I got around March last year.  I'm not an expert, but I really like it.  I came from a mtn bike, and going to the 1000 I couldn't believe how light it felt.  I just put aerobars on it a couple weeks ago, and it rides well in aero too.  It has entry level components, so the brakes don't seem too great, but I've been happy with the derailleurs and shifters.  Overall, I'm really happy with it.

Definitely test ride it and see how it feels for you.  And, the most important thing is fit.  If they don't have your size in stock, order it.  Don't try and make do with the wrong size.  And, if you do get the right size, make sure you're fit on the bike to get it set up right.

2008-01-17 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
OK - finally went for a run last night after about 7 weeks of coming up with reasons not to run. Boy was I slow. I decided now was the time to start working on endurance, so I figured I'd go out and remain in Zone II for the duration of the run. Now, so everyone knows what that means for me, Zone II is between 111-130 BPM (using the formula 220-35). **I would be curious to know if this corresponds to others zones.**

Anyhow, I set my HRM to beep at me if I fell out of the zone and off I went...it started beeping 20 seconds later. I looked down to see if I had set something wrong, but no, my heart rate was already at 135. So I told myself I better slow it down even further, even though I thought I started at a comfortable pace. It kept beeping. Ok, let's slow this down once again....it kept beeping. Finally, I started to walk...it stopped beeping.

I eventually managed to find a pace so slow that it mostly kept me in the high 130's to low 140's, but my HRM merrily beeped at me for 30 minutes telling me I wasn't doing what I was supposed to. I finished the run with an average rate of 139, and a constant fear that at any moment I was going to get passed by granny coming home with her grocery trolley. I would not consider last night to have been a run, but rather a somewhat disjointed and convoluted shuffle for the amusement of passerby’s. For those who are metrically challenged (as I am imperially) I ran 2.8 miles at a pace of 10:43. mdodd - all I can say is I hope you're right about the impending improvement.

Any comments are welcome - and since I'm coming clean about things, I skipped my swim this morning after waking up with sore shoulders from doing too much the past week. Plus I wanted to sleep more.

nhbuckeye - I bought a Trek 1500 in the summer and am very happy with it. If you can spare a couple hundred dollars extra, it might be worthwhile for the better components. That way you shouldn't outgrow the bike quite as quickly.

Squishy

Edited by squishybelly 2008-01-17 1:12 PM
2008-01-17 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey Squishy - Nice job trying to stay in a low zone!  Now my question is where did the 111-130 come from?  It looks like you took 60 and 70% of 220-35.  That actually looks too low from the sources I've seen.  I think keeping it in the low to mid 140's is a better number.

2008-01-17 8:00 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Alright.

New calculation: Karvonen Formula

Zone 1: 50% - 59% = 123 - 134
Zone 2: 60% - 69% = 135 - 147
Zone 3: 70% - 79% = 148 - 159
Zone 4: 80% - 84% = 160 - 165
Zone 5: 85% - 89% = 166 - 172
Zone 5a: 90% - 95% = 173 - 179

Does this look like it makes more sense? Problem is the HRM won't accept manual settings.

2008-01-17 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Squishy,

Here's the process recommended by Mike Ricci at D3, the BT companion site, for determining HRZ/LT:

Determining Run Training Zones

In running we want to know our heart rate training zones as well. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. This is best if done on a flat uninterrupted path or trail.

Run test protocol:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.
The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.

15 minutes easy cool down.

Example:
Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute run TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with:
Zone 1 - 102-132
Zone 2 - 133-141
Zone 3 - 142-149
Zone 4 - 150- 155
Zone 5a - 156-159
Zone 5b - 160-164
Zone 5c - 165-173

I don't have a lap counter on my HR monitor, so I just start it the last 20 min.

Mark
2008-01-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1162929

User image

Elite
Ontario
mdodd,

Just how hard am I supposed to run for the 30 minutes? I know that when I was running before winter I would try to always run hard (didn't know about training in zones), which had my heartrate in the 170's and my pace around 5:00min/km.

So - should I just go out and run as hard as I can, or do you build up over the 30 minutes to your fastest pace? I've never tried to do a TT so this is new ground for me - but I'd like to try tonight if possible.

I've also got a copy of the training bible, so I'll use it once done. I must admit that your explanation is a lot easier to follow, I find I get lost in the bible sometimes.

Squishy
2008-01-18 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Squishy

From what I can gather, the D3 process is a modification of the process described in the Training Bible/TB -- and one of the reasons I used the D3 version was because it was simpler to understand and perform.

I've only done this twice, so keep that in mind. The way I have approached it was to run as hard as I could for 30 minutes. The TB advises to not start out too fast so that you are not able to maintain the highest possible pace for the whole 30 minutes. The D3 process doesn't say anything about it, just "finish knowing you gave it everything you had." So, I'd say run as hard as you can for 30 minutes.

My only other advice is, since you will want to repeat the TT in 4-6 weeks, perform the TT at a time when you think you will perform it again the next time. This way your data is consistent and not confounded because you had better/worse nutrition, more/less sleep. etc.

Good luck SB. Let me know how it goes.

Mark
2008-01-18 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Squishy, unless you've been doing a lot of running before your logs started, I don't think you should worry too much about your Heart Rate right now.  As you begin to train more, you're going to see rapid changes in what your heart rate is for each of the zones.  At this stage, I think you would be better off usind the "Perceived Exertion" chart that I posted on the previous page.  That way, rather than worrying about getting beeped at, you can judge yourself if your in the zone you want to be.

For example, that chart shows an RPE of 6 is equivalent to Z2 Upper, and the description is "Working but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences."  It sounds to me like that was how your run was the other day, and you found that point yourself rather than your watch telling you.  You'll find that your pace will quickly get faster at this level!

2008-01-18 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Oh, and just to complicate all this further - your HR zones are different for biking than running! Smile

2008-01-18 2:40 PM

User image

Royersford, PA
Thanks for all of the really awesome information guys...I had no idea that there was so much science involved with training. I guess I'll put a HRM on my wish list.
2008-01-18 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Well I'm going to freeze this weekend!  Heading to a campout for two nights (in a cabin) with my younger daughter.  It'll be fun, but I don't see me standing around the campfire too long tomorrow night when it's about 10 out!

Have a great weekend!  Keep on Training! Cool

2008-01-18 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Yikes! I like to camp, but not in 10 degrees.

Sounds like it'll put hair on your chest Bob, or at least you'll wish it did.

You the DAD.

Mark
2008-01-19 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Went for another run last night, and decided to aim for the mid 140's as my target, and did a pretty decent job of managing it. Finished with an average of 146, with my second half actually a little lower than the first half.

mdodd - I'm filing away the TT for a few weeks until I build more of a base. But thanks to both you and Bob for the feedback.

New question (I kind of never stop) - if I'm running 3 times a week, does it make sense at this point to try and target 2 runs in Z2, and 1 run with intervals - or do you have other suggestions. I'm only running for just over a 1/2 hour right now, and I'll work to build that up to a full hour over the next couple of weeks.

Second question - do you lift weights separately or are you doing a combination of weights / run or bike? I'm not lifting heavy but I tend to be sore for a few days and I'm worried this might impede other training.

By the way - if I'm asking too many questions, please just ask me to dial it back a bit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10