BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2008-01-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1097791

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full!

Well, personally for me it's legs and underarms...my husband like that I do that

I really think it is a presonal choice.  Forget the thought that it will give you more speed, because it won't. The number one advantage for guys is that if (or when) you take a fall on the bike, you will heal better without hair.  Also, if you have to bandage the area it is nicer to have to pull bandages off without hair.

Personally, I think it looks nice!  DH may do it before IMAZ, jury is still out on that.  I would say no to the arms unless you are really hairy.  Now the question is how far up the legs to go.  Do you go the whole way or do the hair shorts thing ?  That may be better answered by some of the guys on the board

2008-01-18 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
OK...I'm glad that you shave! I agree, your husband probably appreciates that! I appreciate your responses. It's easing my anxiety and helping focus more on the task at hand.

Mike A.
2008-01-18 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

G'morning  everyone. Well i got my swim in this morning. i kinda cheated on the cool down part, but the drills were fun. i'm hoping my bike comes in today. They said thursday or friday and it Friday and well...

(in my best Freddy Mercury voice) "I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike."

Marcy, i had a question, last night I went to an introductory orintation for a coached group tri training club I guess is what you'd call it. basicly its a 15 week of session with 3 days a week coached by a group local here. Total cost would be about $450 starting Feb 2. It sounds interesting but I'm not sure I can come up with the funds. After all last week I just coughed up about 2 grand for my bike and various accessories. whats you experience with group session like this? Is that what you are doing now or are you being coached one-on-one? Any thoughts?

Thanks and good day to all!!!

To clairify, the group meets 6 days a week but the coaches are there 3 days a week. I think thats was how they explained it to me.

Edited by x_caliber50 2008-01-18 10:44 AM
2008-01-18 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
mark,

What kind of bike are you getting?
2008-01-18 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
I have a question about biking...I really got into spinning at the local gym a few years back. Honestly, and I think I mentioned this before, it was the best cardio-vascular shape I've ever been in. I was wondering if the same rules apply as far a form. Obviously, it's different since you are stationary, but I was wondering...

Mike A.
2008-01-18 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

I know that with me it was running. I was never able to get in real good cardio shape til i started running. i never got into spinning til a few weeks ago when i started training. it's not bad but I still find myself looking at the clock after 40 minutes or so. When I'm outside either biking or running I have a better time getting "into" the work-out than if Im at the gym. That may be just my own thing though.

Oh and I'm gettinf a Felt S32. I also was looking at the Cervelo P2SL but the LBS marked that one up $150 over MSRP. The P2 was already $200 more than the Felt so I just couldn't justify that larger expense.

Hopefully it comes in today or tomorow.

2008-01-18 5:51 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Mark,  Did the bike come??  You really need to post some pics!  I have taken only a handful of spin classes.  I prefer riding outside of course, or using the trainer and watching TV or a movie.  I can never seem to get comfortable on the spin bikes.

I totally agree on the cardio improvements on the run. I actually have a hard time getting my HR up enough on the bike but never had any problems on the run.  But, as I am learning with my current training...it all comes down to the run! 

2008-01-18 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Well at about 3 o'clock this afternoon I got a call. I reconized the number, it was the bike shop. So cool my bike is finally in. So I anwser it sure enough its was the bike dude. and the first thing out of his mouth? The truck got delayed, the bike wont be in til MONDAY!!!! AHHUUUGG!!!!

Oh-well, we're getting nothing but freezing, drizzling rain all weekend anyway so I wont have a chance to ride anyhow, still the anticipation is KILLING me! :-)

2008-01-18 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Oh-boy did I completely blow my diet tonight. butI don't care. I think i've earned it for doing pretty good these frst two weeks.

Had a FULL rack of rib at this TX BBQ place tonight. They were awsome. I feel like I gain 500LBS. I'll prolly head to bed right after I type this. Funny thing is, even though I totaly went over board today, I'm still under 2500 cal for the day. And I swam 1850m and did a 90 min spin class today. So I bet I pretty much broke even. I almost had a couple of beers on top of it, but I came to my senses.

OK off to bed, gotta get up early to brick a spin and a short run tomorrow.

G'night all.

2008-01-21 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
OK...I think I get it. When in doubt...Run!! Guys, just so you know...I'm not striving to set any records my first time out...I just want to finish and drop some weight along the way. I will say this: With the kind of support I've been getting from you guys, it's making it more enjoyable. I also feel accountable. Thanks to everyone.

Mike A.
2008-01-21 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Mike,  Glad to help.  for me, having the support and especially the accountability makes such a difference.  It's like I don't want to let anyone down. 

I tried for awhile to do things alone, but never had the success I felt I was capable of.

When Ron first stared this mentor program, I knew it was a great idea, but I never had any idea how big it would become.  I get so much out of this!

Have a great day everyone!  Did you all get the day off? 

2008-01-21 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Mark,  Have you recovered from your weekend binge?  Glad you enjoyed yourself!  Remember, you can't look backwards, only forwards!!

Did the bike come?? 

2008-01-21 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

hello and G'afternoon all. All in all I dont thin I did too bad this weekend. Like everyone else weekends are always a challenge. To be honest I'm happy I was able to stay away from the beer. especially during the football games. I should get a little credit for that anyway.

I didn't make my work-out this morning. I did my run at lunch around noon. I'd like to say I would be able to get up early enough to train before work, but i thats isn't gonna happen everytime.

The run was pretty good. I went faster than I normally would go becasue I happened to run with a buddy from work. He happend to be my boss and one can't be a slow-poke in front of the boss.

nope no bike yet. I keep telling myself that witht the weather lately I wouldnt be riding anyway. That still dosen't change that fact that I want my bike NOW.

have a great afternoon all.

2008-01-21 5:43 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Funny about running with your boss.  It is really true that when you run with other people, you tend to run faster.  My problem is that I am a pretty slow runner so most everyone is considerably faster than me, I just can't keep up.  I can hang for a little while, but then I fall back and it hurts the rest of my run.  I really don't mind running alone since in a race I am alone anyway.

I have also spent a lot more time running without my iPod.  Almost never wear it on outdoor runs.  Always inside because I would go nuts running in circles around the track at my gym.  

You're right about not being able to ride outside today, but I would be impatient too.  Can't wait to see the pics.  What color?  Red is the fastest color you know  

2008-01-22 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
What about I-Pods during the run in a tri...Is that taboo?

Mike A.
2008-01-22 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
What about I-Pods during the run in a tri...Is that taboo?

Mike A.

2008-01-22 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

A  big loud YES... it is taboo and illegal!  Although it is one of the least enforced rules in tris, in my mind, that still does not make it right.  I see people all the time running with headphones and it is against the rules.

I started doing most of my long outside runs without music.  At first, it was hard but eventually I grew to really enjoy the sounds of my feet hitting the pavement and my breathing.  The worst, though, is when I get some really bad song stuck in my head and it plays over and over.  It's usually something rediculous like Happy Birthday or the theme for the Brady Bunch

When I did my first half, I was totally suffering on the run (although for me it was more of a death march).  I had the song Over My Head by the Fray running over and over.  At that point, I was over my head  

2008-01-22 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Thanks...I'm hoping that I will make up for the lack of music with the adrenaline. I have an appointment with the orthopedist on Thursday. My knee is feeling better, but i still think there may be a problem. I'm sure you all understand. I've talked to a friend who had a similar issue and he said he was back in the gym after a week. So, here lies the dilemma. Wait until after the Tri in March for a possible surgery, or do it before and possibly miss a couple of weeks of training. I'll just talk it over with the Doc and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Mike A.
2008-01-24 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Just got back from the orthopedist. gave me some stretches to do and said if not better in 6 weeks he would order MRI. Arthritus or a torn meniscus. Asked me if I had to do a tri, I said yes. He thinks stetches might help and said I wasn't going to hurt it anymore than it hurts now. Oh, and when I weighed this AM, I've lost 12 pounds...That's in two weeks!

Mike A.
2008-01-24 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Mike, that's awesome news about the weightloss!!  Way to go!  Also promising news about the knee.  DO YOUR PT!!  It will only help!! 

Hope everyone is having a good week.  It is cold here in North Texas.  But, like typical Texas weather Sat and sun are going to be in the 60's.  I am so happy about that since we have a 4 hr bike and 30 min run on sat and a 1:45 run on Sunday!!

Had a lousy day at the pool yesterday.  Just was not feeling it and my time showed.  I guess we are all allowed to have days like that.

Tonight we are going to the "Spirit of the Marathon" with a bunch of BT peeps.  Should be good!

Edited by dodgersmom 2008-01-24 12:17 PM
2008-01-24 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
I'm a rookie and all, but Marcy even if you had a bad day in the pool I bet you learned something. I know that even on my bad days I learn something about form, posture or just about myself.

Mike A.

2008-01-25 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I totally agree with you.  I have bad days at the pool, on the run and on the bike.  But, the trick is that even a bad workout has accomplished something. 

Sometines I have to look at the reasons why it was a bad workout.  Was it something I could change for the next time.  Maybe my hydration or nutrition was bad, or perhaps I did not get enough sleep the night before. 

I have to look at every workout, good or bad, as a learning experience!

2008-01-25 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom's Group - Accepting a few good people
As is expected, we have had a few members that have not really participated so, i am opening up the group for 2 or 3 new people.  Come on in!!
2008-01-25 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1170099

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Marcy,

What are some good options for indoor trainers (biking) that won't cost you an arm and a leg?

Mike
2008-01-25 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Just joined USAT and got my Temp membership card!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full! Rss Feed  

of 8