Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-05-05 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!
Great job Kiri!  I'm glad you had so much fun.  That is the point, isn't it?

2009-05-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2130811

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-05-05 9:59 AM

So, I went back to Masters Swim this morning.  Turns out, they've got a coach now.  Much better than just five of us meeting up and figuring out a workout as we go.  Although, maybe I should have waited until Thursday.  She likes to do a mile swim time trial on the first Tuesday of the month.  Not to go too soft, she backed that up with 5x100 kick drills.  Sprint the first 50, normal pace the last 50 of each 100.  It was the first time I've cramped in my hamstrings while swimming.  Hard to believe I'm worried about having recovered legs for my run tomorrow because of a swim I did this morning.

Wow, Bill got his butt kicked by a swim.  I didn't think that could happen!
2009-05-05 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Great race Kiri!  2nd in age group for your first tri is a great achievement.

More silverware for team Sesh.

2009-05-05 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2130811

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
sesh - 2009-05-05 8:59 AM

So, I went back to Masters Swim this morning.  Turns out, they've got a coach now.  Much better than just five of us meeting up and figuring out a workout as we go.  Although, maybe I should have waited until Thursday.  She likes to do a mile swim time trial on the first Tuesday of the month.  Not to go too soft, she backed that up with 5x100 kick drills.  Sprint the first 50, normal pace the last 50 of each 100.  It was the first time I've cramped in my hamstrings while swimming.  Hard to believe I'm worried about having recovered legs for my run tomorrow because of a swim I did this morning.

I can't believe the Great White Shark had to work in the pool.  Now you know how the rest of feel.  LOL   I'm always cramping when I swim.  Wink

2009-05-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2131355

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Yah unfortunately no hardware - only awarded overall 1-2-3.
But I treated myself to a nice large silver medal in the form of 22oz beer can!

BILL - No pain no gain!

danielc - 2009-05-05 9:28 AM

Great race Kiri!  2nd in age group for your first tri is a great achievement.

More silverware for team Sesh.

2009-05-05 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
I can't believe it's May already.  This year has flown by so far.  My son has his little preschool graduation ceremony in 2 weeks.  Fall will be here before I know it and he will be in Kindergarten.

May Monthly Goal: Swim 25,000 m.  I hope that will be enough to get me through the swim at Mooseman and still have gas left in the tank.  I bought a sleeveless wetsuit today online from a local tri shop.  They always have some good online deals but you have to purchase online even though I can pick up at the store and return it within 30 days.  My next OWS lesson is tomorrow and we are going to swim a mile.

April Monthly Goal has been check off.  I did a good job of reducing my work waste.  I brought my travel mug to Starbucks each morning, used a coffee mug for my oatmeal, planned an Earth Day recycling drive for work and joined our Green Committee and recycled everything possible.

So that's my life in a nutshell, right now.  Tongue out Anybody else have anything exciting going on?  There were some group members on vacation.  And did we ever see NZ pics?  Any races?

Yes I am procrastinating my work duties!

2009-05-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2131765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
sdalessio - 2009-05-05 11:18 AM And did we ever see NZ pics?  Any races?

No you didn't because I haven't even seen them yet!  We took them on a disposable camera and still have a few shots left.  We should just fire them off and get it developed.

I have a sprint coming up at the end of the month... I'm not getting much support for doing it but I really want to, even if I have to go by myself.  Time to get the season going!

-Oh yeah I forgot to mention (brag) that I changed the crankset on my bike over the weekend.  I was feeling like the stock one on my bike was slightly warped and I picked up a great deal on a new one from bonktown.com.

Anyway it's probably pretty standard but by the time I had bought a bunch of tools and finally figured out how to pull the old square taper cranks and remove the seized bottom bracket and install the spiffy new Shimano one I felt as though I had built the whole bike myself.

After adjusting the front derailleur the new set works like a dream and I'm looking forward to picking up my cycling again.

Edited by danielc 2009-05-05 5:21 PM
2009-05-05 10:16 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I have been really busy lately, but I am hoping to visit BT regularly again.

I just signed up as a volunteer for IMWI...very exciting. 

I have only gotten in a couple of training sessions over the last couple of months.  It is really frustrating.  I need to get back on track if I want to do an oly this year.

...and I am out of time. 

Bye all

2009-05-06 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2132477

User image

Expert
danielc - 2009-05-05 5:15 PM
sdalessio - 2009-05-05 11:18 AM And did we ever see NZ pics?  Any races?

No you didn't because I haven't even seen them yet!  We took them on a disposable camera and still have a few shots left.  We should just fire them off and get it developed.

I have a sprint coming up at the end of the month... I'm not getting much support for doing it but I really want to, even if I have to go by myself.  Time to get the season going!

-Oh yeah I forgot to mention (brag) that I changed the crankset on my bike over the weekend.  I was feeling like the stock one on my bike was slightly warped and I picked up a great deal on a new one from bonktown.com.

Anyway it's probably pretty standard but by the time I had bought a bunch of tools and finally figured out how to pull the old square taper cranks and remove the seized bottom bracket and install the spiffy new Shimano one I felt as though I had built the whole bike myself.

After adjusting the front derailleur the new set works like a dream and I'm looking forward to picking up my cycling again.

Good job on the bike maintenance.  We all heard about my pitiful skills.

Sorry to hear about the lack of support.  I'm sure that can be frustrating.  I don't have that issue at home since my husband competes as well but we have babysitter issues at times and can't do things together or have to pick and choose events.

However, you have a wonderful online support group here and I've gone to events by myself and you'll find a wonderful support group there.  Triathlon people are friendly and supportive.  So go - even if it's just you.  You'll have a great time and find all of the help and support you need there.  :-)

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-06 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

That's awesome.  I got my crank and BB from bonktown when I did my build.  It was like it was meant to be or something, so I had to pull the trigger.  That's some pretty advanced maintenence there, and you're going to find that you'll want to do everything to your bike now.  As much as I advocate supporting the local bike shop (because a good one does so much more in terms of being active in the cycling community than just fixing and selling bikes), it's really nice not to need them.

2009-05-06 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I go to nearly all of my races solo as well.  Primarily because they are pretty boring for spectators, and they start so early on a weekend.  My parents seemed to think Sandestin was worth going to one year, and my wife went to New Orleans with me.  I told her if that's what would get her to a race I'd sign up for one in Orlando

Now that I think about it, they've all come to far more half marathons than triathlons.  Not sure why that is.  My wife actually says she gets emotional watching all the people finish.

2009-05-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2132967

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

mchally - 2009-05-05 10:16 PM I have been really busy lately, but I am hoping to visit BT regularly again.

I just signed up as a volunteer for IMWI...very exciting. 

I have only gotten in a couple of training sessions over the last couple of months.  It is really frustrating.  I need to get back on track if I want to do an oly this year.

...and I am out of time. 

Bye all

Good to "see" ya again.  I hope as the summer gets closer things will settle down for you.

2009-05-06 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Hey guys,

I hope that everyone is having a great week.  It is nice to see some race reports come in and some hardware getting handed out.  Congratulations to everyone.

I have changed up my training program in hopes of not having my shin splints make a comeback.  Last week I ran 3 times and could feel my shin get tender.  So instead of a 3xrun, 2 x swim, 2 x bike, plus weights program, I switched to a 2 x balanced program.  Hopefully this will relieve a little bit of pressure from my inner shin and get it healed and used to running longer distances.  So far so good. 

The ribs are pretty much healed up and I did a 1-hour ride this weekend with no pain.  No I just have to increase the miles.

The local tri-club, Tri Tippecanoe, is starting to get more active.  Weekday bike rides and runs are getting set up along with some BBQ events and times to hang out.  Hopefully that will help my training.

I hope that everyone has a great training week.  As for me, my first race will not be until June 20th, so I have some time to keep training and logging those miles.

2009-05-06 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
I only had marginal support from the home front for the 1st race - combination of early hour and race in way out in the outer burbs. So I HEAR YA! But as others have said the people on the course were awesome. Get out there by yourself and just do it! Yah, we are rooting for you from a distance!

Awesome job on the crankset!
Bonktown = the occasional drool and wish i had more disposable income.

kiri

danielc - 2009-05-05 3:15 PM

2009-05-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2133645

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Go man go! Keep it up - gotta hate those pesky overuse issues.

53epilot - 2009-05-06 7:42 AM Hey guys,

I hope that everyone has a great training week.  As for me, my first race will not be until June 20th, so I have some time to keep training and logging those miles.

2009-05-06 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
53epilot - 2009-05-06 7:42 AM

I have changed up my training program in hopes of not having my shin splints make a comeback.  Last week I ran 3 times and could feel my shin get tender.  So instead of a 3xrun, 2 x swim, 2 x bike, plus weights program, I switched to a 2 x balanced program.  Hopefully this will relieve a little bit of pressure from my inner shin and get it healed and used to running longer distances.  So far so good. 

Glad to hear the ribs are better but shin splints are the worst.  Sorry to hear you are dealing with that.

One thing that helped me get over them last year was breaking up the running with a minute or so walking at regular intervals.  Run 4 or 5 mins, walk 1 min, repeat.  I found that helped me build up my distances without putting too much pressure on the shins and without letting my HR drop too much.  Gradually I increased the running and decreased the walking.

Anyway I'm sure you have your own method of coping but I really think it helped me.

Good luck.  Shin splints can be so frustrating.

2009-05-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2134018

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
kirih - 2009-05-06 9:17 AM
Awesome job on the crankset!
Bonktown = the occasional drool and wish i had more disposable income.

kiri

sesh - 2009-05-06 6:16 AM

[That's awesome.  I got my crank and BB from bonktown when I did my build.  It was like it was meant to be or something, so I had to pull the trigger.  That's some pretty advanced maintenence there, and you're going to find that you'll want to do everything to your bike now. 

Hehe you're right - I'm already half-looking for a frame and parts to build up a new bike...  won't happen for at least a year but watch out because I'll be coming to you for advice when it does

As for the LBS - I agree, especially since my LBS is great and has always been really helpful.  I buy my tools and small parts from them which helps me get over the LBS-guilt a little.

2009-05-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2133269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

sdalessio - 2009-05-06 5:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the lack of support.  I'm sure that can be frustrating.  I don't have that issue at home since my husband competes as well but we have babysitter issues at times and can't do things together or have to pick and choose events.

However, you have a wonderful online support group here and I've gone to events by myself and you'll find a wonderful support group there.  Triathlon people are friendly and supportive.  So go - even if it's just you.  You'll have a great time and find all of the help and support you need there.  :-)

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get great support up to a certain point... like one race per year plus some training.  My wife and her sister who lives with us think that much is fun and they will even do the one race with me and make a weekend out of it, which makes me super lucky imo.

If I start to want to commit time past that point there is resistance.  It's like being the one person who wants to stay home and study before a test when everyone else wants to go see a movie or something.

I know a lot of people (if not most people) do it without any support at all so I really don't have any grounds for complaining.  I wouldn't have my family situation any other way.

And yes, we sure do have a great support group here! 

2009-05-06 1:49 PM

User image

Master
53epilot - 2009-05-06 10:42 AM

My first isn't until June 27th, so we'll be celebrating together at the end of June.
2009-05-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2134084

User image

Regular
danielc - 2009-05-06 11:37 AM
53epilot - 2009-05-06 7:42 AM

Glad to hear the ribs are better but shin splints are the worst.  Sorry to hear you are dealing with that.

One thing that helped me get over them last year was breaking up the running with a minute or so walking at regular intervals.  Run 4 or 5 mins, walk 1 min, repeat.  I found that helped me build up my distances without putting too much pressure on the shins and without letting my HR drop too much.  Gradually I increased the running and decreased the walking.

Anyway I'm sure you have your own method of coping but I really think it helped me.

Good luck.  Shin splints can be so frustrating.

I have been running most of the year using the 1 minute walk and 4-7 minutes of running, but I did that three times a week.  Hopefully, buy only running two times a week and utilizing the 1 minute walk and 4.5 minute (this week) run method, I can avoid the shin splints that sidelined me all last year.  I plan to increase the run time by 30 seconds each week (to stay under the 10% rule) until I hit about 7 minutes and then plan on running straight for 20 minutes (and increase 10% each week). 

My friends want me to get ready for next May's (360 days from now) Indy Mini Marathon which takes you around the racetrack.  I should (maybe better is the correct word here) be ready by then with the plan I have laid out and I am injury free, God willing.

Take care.

Edited by 53epilot 2009-05-06 3:29 PM
2009-05-07 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
I think I may float away.  It has been raining here every day for over a week.

I went to the pool this morning and tried to get my 6x500 swim in but I didn't get up early enough so I only got in 2000m.  I was kind of bummed b/c I think I could have done the swim but I need longer than the hour I had.

Cool  Here's hoping for sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-05-07 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Our Masters coach is twisted.  She had a special butterfly day planned for us this morning.

400 wu

4x100 Fly kick
1. Front
2. Right side
3. Left side
4. Back

10x25 Fly scull

6x50 Two stroke/4 kick fly

200 Fly

100 ez free

6x75 Pull

8x25
- Fly sprint on odds
- EZ free on evens

200 cd

Yes, two straight swims that I'm whining about.

2009-05-07 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2135926

User image

Expert
sesh - 2009-05-07 8:15 AM

Our Masters coach is twisted.  She had a special butterfly day planned for us this morning.

400 wu

4x100 Fly kick
1. Front
2. Right side
3. Left side
4. Back

10x25 Fly scull

6x50 Two stroke/4 kick fly

200 Fly

100 ez free

6x75 Pull

8x25
- Fly sprint on odds
- EZ free on evens

200 cd

Yes, two straight swims that I'm whining about.

That is too funny!  Of course, that would be a real easy swim for me b/c I don't do butterfly.  LOL
2009-05-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2135995

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

sdalessio - 2009-05-07 8:41 AM
That is too funny!  Of course, that would be a real easy swim for me b/c I don't do butterfly.  LOL

Oh she wouldn't care.  She would make you do it.  That's what all the fly drills were for.  She wanted to work on our strokes.... and then she said, "Now we're going to do a 200 fly."

The lady two lanes over said, "We're gonna do what now?"

Ugh... I am completely worn out.

2009-05-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2136076

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-05-07 10:05 AM

sdalessio - 2009-05-07 8:41 AM

Oh she wouldn't care.  She would make you do it.  That's what all the fly drills were for.  She wanted to work on our strokes.... and then she said, "Now we're going to do a 200 fly."

The lady two lanes over said, "We're gonna do what now?"

Ugh... I am completely worn out.

It's all part of my diabolical plan to swim as fast as you.  She is going to make you work until you are so tired it's all you can do not to sink like a stone and it takes you 3+ minutes to swim 100m.  Then my swim times will be better than yours.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47