BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-05-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2846649

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Mark - As I hear from the TCSD Coaches all the time... You dont win it on the swim... but  it's the one event you can loose it on!  Start the swim at a good pace [then back off a touch] focusing on form, breathing and technique (head down... butt up... and stroke & glide).  Transitions are also key descriminators so practice - practice - practice this week.  The Bike will be fast and wind will be a factor.  That said though, the short bike distance will leave you lots in the tank for the run (which is your strongest event)... so I believe you'll whip it's A$$.

P.S.  The Otter Pop was to put some ice on her palm from the fall during the race (while SAR pulled out an ice pack.  Oddly enough... Alyssa traded the 'purple' Otter Pop for 'green'  Laughing
There's definitely no chance of me smoking the swim.  I have zero intentions of trying to wear myself out on that leg.  I had envisioned myself using the flying squirrel bike mount technique, but I havent done ANY transition practice, so I may sacrifice a lil time in the name of not squashing the boys and other participant safety. Laughing
GoGoGo - 2010-05-09 2:41 AM

Good advice.  Looking at your logs, the bike is 10k, should take you 20 mins or so,  Run only 2.5k, 15 mins max, so the land portion will be quick...

Unknowns:  How much faster is race pace than most of your logs...Have you done any bricks? You run might be a little slower, but I doubt it, for only 10k on the bike.

Man, SuperSprints are quick!!!

Yea, I was thinking the same for the bike, swim I'm hopin to do in 15 or less and the run I should be able to do in 14-16 depending on how I feel.  I only did one brick, last weekend after a 25 mile ride I hopped off, threw my shoes on and took off.  I didn't notice anything in my legs feeling strange so maybe I wasnt going hard enough on the bike?  I'm goin for a short brick in about an hour, maybe I will feel it more this time.

2010-05-09 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2846045

User image

Regular
BigH2OChief - 2010-05-08 2:43 PM

This morning my daughter Alyssa (7 yrs) ran the 4th Annual Cinco de Mayo Trail Run with at Poway Lake.  She had me as 'race support' and did a great job bossing me around.  Alyssa had a good race plan and executed it well until she lost footing in some soft mud coming up a grade on the damn.  She went down pretty hard... but fought through tears and the final 3/4 mile of hills in a strong finish.

We participated in todays event to support the Chelsea's Light Foundation. A great cause supporting a tragic event. I encourage you to show your support by becoming a change maker at www.chelseaslight.org  -or-  http://design.netfinity.net/clf/

Mark & Alyssa @ the Poway Lake Trail Run

Alyssa after the Awards Ceremony

That is Awsome.. Great Pics...
2010-05-09 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2846584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: Help with HRM....
brick94513 - 2010-05-08 11:04 PM
croixfan - 2010-05-08 8:15 AM Refresher on my background.  New to endurance sports / only been traing for about 6 weeks.  44, 5'9", 180 pounds.  Played lots of "speed" sports growing up (baseball, basketball, etc.).  My logs are all up to date and I've been taking things slow and steady with good, solid progress.

So today I went for a 3.8 mile run with the new HRM (Suunto T4C).  Some interesting observations.  When I put on the HRM it was showing about 90 bpm.  Took off running and it jumped almost instantly to the mid-130's and then slowly started climbing.  When it settle out about 1/2 mile in it was right around 170 bpm.  I didn't feel like I was straining excessively and the run was actually as comfortable as I've ever been -- considering the 30 MPH wind it went really well.  Peak HR was 176.  I noticed that when I would go down hill, with the wind the bpm's would drop off 2-4 and on the flip side, in to the wind/up the hill they would head up 2-4 BPM.  After finishing up the HR was down to the low 130's in about 2 minutes, breathing totally normal.  No problems.  2-3 minutes later it was still in the mid-120's.  Sat down and it dropped immediatly to around 110.

Looking for some guidance.  Have read that my max HR should be around 180 bpm.  If that's the case the 170 for training would be way high; however, I didn't feel that taxed at that level.  Further with being at 135 right off the bat, I wouldn't be able to do much more than walk if I wanted to stay in the mid/high 140's to train.   Should my max HR be higher?  Is this simply an issue with not having any endurance base? 

Appreciate any and all guidance.

Thanks!

Curt
There is a lot of misconception about hr monitors and how to use them. First of all, forget about MAX hr. For our purposes, this number is irrelevant. More importantly, we want to know where our lactate threshold hr is located. Why? Below this number, when we exercise, we are functioning aerobically. The body's cardiopulmonary system is able to maintain a proper acid-base balance. Above, this number, you are now anaerobic. Meaning the body can no longer maintain homeostasis through normal means and releases lactate to buffer the accumulation of hydrogen. Now, did you verify the hr monitor is recording accurately? Did you take your pulse before, during, and after exercise to verify? The sudden spike to the 130s sounds about normal. As for the constant 170, that depends. What was your RPE with this HR? Your LTHR usually occurs around a RPE of 7. This point is associated with difficult conversation, probably one or two word sentences. As for your statement about walking to keep your HR at 140. As you become more aerobically fit, you will achieve faster paces at lower hr. Also, keep in mind, these numbers are completely individualistic. A hr of 140 for you is completely different for me. So, long story short, you need to find your LTHR and then establish your HR zones from this number. You then can retest every few months to check for aerobic improvement.

Thanks to everyone for the tips/guidance.  Sounds like (i) I need to be patient and continue to build the base, (ii) use the HRM as a guage on my performance, (iii) eventually perform a test for my lactate threshold HR.

I did a bike ride this AM with the monitor and it held in the mid-140's very easily.  Did head up on the hills, but would drop back down on the flats and go below 140 on the down hills.  Did notice that as I approached 155, the conversation became more difficult and my legs started to feel it.  Know this is not scientific, but sounds like this is the LTHR level that folks are referring to.

On the VERY positive side, after both yesterday's run and today's bike the legs and lungs feel great.  Goal this week is to establish a more detailed, daily plan for the next 6-8 weeks focusing on the principles that you have all shared / I've read.

Hope everyone enjoys Mother's day with the family.

Curt
2010-05-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Remember lthr will be different for running, cycling, and swimming. This is due to different muscle group engagement, positioning, and gravity. Running lthr will always be higher than cycling.
2010-05-09 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego
Rest day today.  Focusing on taking care of wifey for Mothers Day.

Have a great day all!
2010-05-09 4:36 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I got a good swim/ride in this morning. Masters this morning and almost 30 miles on the road after. Too bad I gotta do the mothers day thing right now. The weather is AWSOME!!! It was still a bit cold this morning

2010-05-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2847216

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-05-09 2:36 PM

I got a good swim/ride in this morning. Masters this morning and almost 30 miles on the road after. Too bad I gotta do the mothers day thing right now. The weather is AWSOME!!! It was still a bit cold this morning

We've been having some beautiful weather out here too. Yesterday, race conditions were perfect.
2010-05-09 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I got the race report done, but can't transfer the file from my laptop to work computer. So, I'll post it tomorrow when I get home.

I'm going to hold off on posting my results since the standings are apparently being protested. Very frustrating! This is the second year in a row that the race director has done a very poor job of marking the course.
2010-05-09 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
How is the weeked going for everyone?
2010-05-09 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2847546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

brick94513 - 2010-05-09 8:55 PM I got the race report done, but can't transfer the file from my laptop to work computer. So, I'll post it tomorrow when I get home. I'm going to hold off on posting my results since the standings are apparently being protested. Very frustrating! This is the second year in a row that the race director has done a very poor job of marking the course.

Look forward to the report.  Sucks on the protest -- always like to see how things turn out in anything that I participate in.  Weekend went well -- weather was great today.

2010-05-09 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2847572

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-05-09 7:08 PM

brick94513 - 2010-05-09 8:55 PM I got the race report done, but can't transfer the file from my laptop to work computer. So, I'll post it tomorrow when I get home. I'm going to hold off on posting my results since the standings are apparently being protested. Very frustrating! This is the second year in a row that the race director has done a very poor job of marking the course.

Look forward to the report.  Sucks on the protest -- always like to see how things turn out in anything that I participate in.  Weekend went well -- weather was great today.

The frustrating part is I was given my results. Then some riders complained about the course markings and false directions being made by the volunteers. However, nothing was done at the time. Now, the race director is not posting offical results until he can apparently correct the standings. But, my question is how can you rectify the standings at this point? Oh, I'm sorry you went the wrong way, I'll deduct 10 minutes from your time??? A lot of us are competing for regional points, so being bumped one position with cost us.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to complain. I'm just frustrated.

2010-05-09 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2847609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-05-09 9:27 PM
croixfan - 2010-05-09 7:08 PM

The frustrating part is I was given my results. Then some riders complained about the course markings and false directions being made by the volunteers. However, nothing was done at the time. Now, the race director is not posting offical results until he can apparently correct the standings. But, my question is how can you rectify the standings at this point? Oh, I'm sorry you went the wrong way, I'll deduct 10 minutes from your time??? A lot of us are competing for regional points, so being bumped one position with cost us. I'm sorry. I don't mean to complain. I'm just frustrated.

And the guys that are complaining are probably the same ones that did not take the time to pre-ride / pre-review the course.  Not to mention, they're probably the same ones full of excuses.  No matter what the activity, there always seems to be a few....
2010-05-10 4:35 AM
in reply to: #2846855

User image

Expert
Canada
shmeeg - 2010-05-09 12:19 PM I only did one brick, last weekend after a 25 mile ride I hopped off, threw my shoes on and took off.  I didn't notice anything in my legs feeling strange so maybe I wasnt going hard enough on the bike?  I'm goin for a short brick in about an hour, maybe I will feel it more this time.

How did it go?  Any difference? 
2010-05-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2847561

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-05-09 9:03 PM

How is the weeked going for everyone?

Weekend was great! The cold windy mornings put a damper on some plans. I really would have liked to get that big brick in, but I still got a lot in this weekend. Finally, got back to running 6 mile long runs after the over use injury. I'll be sticking with two 4 mile mile runs and a 6 mile long run for a couple weeks at least before trying to increase that long run.

I got back on the bike for the first time since Iola. Felt ok at lower HR's but the congestion in my chest is still there. Getting above 150 still hurts a little. I'm going to go to the eucaliptic steam room tonight at the gym and maybe do some salt water steams at home. Allergies have been awful this year!!! which isn't helping getting better at all. Even a round of anti-bioitics didn't help much.

On my ride this weekend, I was surprised I was able to keep a pretty good speed even at lower hr levels with higher cadence, but it was a lot less windy Sunday than it has been lately.

Report:
Glucosamine seems to be helping. My knee's feel better in the mornings. I also feel a lot less grinding in my knees than I used to when I put my hand on them and move them.
2010-05-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2847665

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2010-05-09 10:05 PM

• And the guys that are complaining are probably the same ones that did not take the time to pre-ride / pre-review the course.  Not to mention, they're probably the same ones full of excuses.  No matter what the activity, there always seems to be a few....

I don't always have time to go out the day before to pre-view all the courses either so sometimes I really rely on course workers. In Lake Geneva last year a course worker left his post and about 10-15 us went off course and lost about 15 minutes. When the lead of the group found the course again it sharp right turn after a downhill that came out of an opening in the brush. The group got down the hill and stopped right at the bottom trying to figure out which way to go to get back on course. Unfortunately, I came out of the opening and had the jam on the brakes when I saw them sitting there. I tucked the front end and my shoes didn't come out of the clips. My ankle swelled up to the size of a baseball instantly! My day was done.

That said, I was more angry with the situation that we were put in that caused my injury than I was about my time. I was dnf anyway, but wouldn't have even thought to ask about a time adjustment had I not been dnf. That's just racing. Things happen out there. Especially, on the MTB trails
    2010-05-10 9:20 AM

User image

Master
    Brentwood, CA
    It's a situation that should of been avoided. For as much money as we pay, we should be entitled to a well marked course and knowledgeable volunteers. As I said previously, ma.y of us are racing for points and to lose position in this fashion is unfortunate. But, how can you adjusted the situation after the fact. I feel sorry for all the podium finishers you didn't even get recognized at the event! Just poor and wrong.

2010-05-10 9:27 AM
    in reply to: #2848158

User image

Elite
    Romeoville, Il
    brick94513 - 2010-05-10 9:20 AM

It's a situation that should of been avoided. For as much money as we pay, we should be entitled to a well marked course and knowledgeable volunteers. As I said previously, ma.y of us are racing for points and to lose position in this fashion is unfortunate. But, how can you adjusted the situation after the fact. I feel sorry for all the podium finishers you didn't even get recognized at the event! Just poor and wrong.

I agree, but mistakes still happen. It's tough to know how to deal with them. Seems you can never make everyone happy.

Did anyone catch the Xterra Utah and Hawai on tv this weekend? It was on Versus and I think CBS. Very cool!!! I'm getting psyched for my first Xterra in 2 weeks!!!
    2010-05-10 9:54 AM
    in reply to: #2847561

User image

Expert
    Kansas City, Missouri
    brick94513 - 2010-05-09 7:03 PM How is the weeked going for everyone?

Mine was good, we did Sunday Funday at our house for Mother's Day and had some friends over and grilled dead animals and sea creatures for dinner.  I'm gonna start getting all my crap together this week for the race Sunday.

GoGoGo -

How was it?

Brick felt good, I don't know if I'm just not riding hard enough or what.  I am expecting the run to just plain suck and that's not what's happening thus far.  Went out a little fast, took a few minutes to settle into an easy pace, but I was happy with it.
    2010-05-10 9:59 AM
    in reply to: #2848245

User image

Elite
    Romeoville, Il
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 9:54 AM

brick94513 - 2010-05-09 7:03 PM How is the weeked going for everyone?

Mine was good, we did Sunday Funday at our house for Mother's Day and had some friends over and grilled dead animals and sea creatures for dinner.  I'm gonna start getting all my crap together this week for the race Sunday.

GoGoGo -

How was it?

Brick felt good, I don't know if I'm just not riding hard enough or what.  I am expecting the run to just plain suck and that's not what's happening thus far.  Went out a little fast, took a few minutes to settle into an easy pace, but I was happy with it.

Bricks never bother me either. I feel a little strange after longer distances on the bike, but for the most part they have never been a problem, especially short distance. I feel weirdest from T1. Especially after a hard swim. Sometimes I get dizzy coming out of the water.
    2010-05-10 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I get that dizzy feeling after I get out of the pool sometimes too when it's real windy.  Thought it was just me.
    2010-05-10 11:03 AM
    in reply to: #2848406

User image

Elite
    Romeoville, Il
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 10:54 AM

I get that dizzy feeling after I get out of the pool sometimes too when it's real windy.  Thought it was just me.

I'm pretty sure the others will have better insight than I, but I'm pretty sure it's normal. It's got something to do with the shock to your body going from horizontal to vertical quickly. Add in there the extra stress of your high hr from the swim and you get dizzy. Kinda like getting up to quick out of bed in the morning.

2010-05-10 11:39 AM
    in reply to: #2848440

User image

Expert
    Meulen - 2010-05-10 9:03 AM
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 10:54 AM I get that dizzy feeling after I get out of the pool sometimes too when it's real windy.  Thought it was just me.
    I'm pretty sure the others will have better insight than I, but I'm pretty sure it's normal. It's got something to do with the shock to your body going from horizontal to vertical quickly. Add in there the extra stress of your high hr from the swim and you get dizzy. Kinda like getting up to quick out of bed in the morning.

Do you guys use earplugs?  I found that earplugs eliminated the post-swim dizzies for me.
    2010-05-10 11:48 AM

User image

Master
    Brentwood, CA
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 7:54 AM

I don't really feel to much distress coming from the tri bike to running. However, the MTB is a different story. In my off-road races, I usually have to fight through gluteal tightness for the first mile or so before I can settle into the run. I've come to the conclusion it has to do with positioning on the bike.

As for the swim, lacking equilibrium as you get out of the water is completely normal. As was already said, this has to do with horizontal positioning to vertical positioning. I have a little trick that helps me avoid this to some extent. I'm not a hard kicker when I swim. I pretty much focus on hip rotation with a soft two beat kick. However, as I come into the last 100 yards or so, I will start to flutter kick. This starts to engage the leg muscles and increases circulation to the lower body.

While on the topic, I will try the opposite coming of the bike. As I approach transition, quarter mile or so and if the terrain allows, I will focus on using my hamstrings to pedal and allow my quads to rest. The pedal sensation is like your sliding your feet backwards at the bottom of your pedal circle.

Works for me.... Give it a try if you like and let us know.
    2010-05-10 11:50 AM
    in reply to: #2848558

User image

Master
    Brentwood, CA
    norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-10 9:39 AM

Meulen - 2010-05-10 9:03 AM
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 10:54 AM I get that dizzy feeling after I get out of the pool sometimes too when it's real windy.  Thought it was just me.

Do you guys use earplugs?  I found that earplugs eliminated the post-swim dizzies for me.

I have used ear plugs for really cold water, near 50. The intent was more for warmth than any effect on equilibrium though.
    2010-05-10 11:52 AM

User image

Master
    Brentwood, CA
    shmeeg - 2010-05-10 7:54 AM

brick94513 - 2010-05-09 7:03 PM

I'm gonna start getting all my crap together this week for the race Sunday.

Make a list and post it. We can make sure you have all the goodies and give you some advice.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108