BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-09-03 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3081059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: True Confessions of a loser triathlete
It's ok Q...it's good to have a break now and then   You have been working really hard and you deserve it.
Ok, I am off this weekend to do some high altitude training/relaxation.  Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

2010-09-03 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3079778

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: True Confessions of a loser triathlete

quincyf - 2010-09-02 7:05 PM OK so for your reading entertainment, I am going to admit to a personal fail:

Last night I got totally drunk.  Not only that, but my evil twin smoked about 6 cigarettes.  And today I was supposed to do a 50 minute tempo run.  OH eff THAT!  I could have (I have amazing stamina in the face of hangoverness, but the fact of the matter is, I just didn't want to.)

I am chalking it up to a mid-training crisis.  Actually, I feel like I needed to succumb to the endurance athlete equivalent of punching a hole in the wall...all this running is making me cuh-ray-zee!

Send manatee flipper smacks if you like.  I deserve them.   

Back on the straight and narrow, y'all.  Just thought I would share.  

Heart,

Complete absolution, Q ---- complete.

2010-09-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Hope everyone had a great weekend. 
Mine was full of stuff, but not much training. 
2010-09-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3086001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Mine was good too. We did a last-minute getaway to Utah (before the DW can no longer fly for awhile).  So my training lacked too although I got a few small pool swims in and some high altitude hiking.  The outdoor pool at our hotel was "heated" which was fun to swim in in the 45 degree night. But not nearly as much fun getting out!
We did a hike to a cave and climbed about 1100' in 1.5 miles.  I think I need to workout my calves a little more here in flat Chicago haha.
2010-09-07 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3086045

User image

Master
Vista, CA

That sounds like a fun time, Ryan. Enjoy the times before baby, because afterwards, they are kind of few and far between, at least for us everyday parents without full time staff to assist like say, Tom and Katie or Brat and Angelina.

My labor day was labor intensive -- did a 15 mile run on Sat. (how many miles was your lr Q? -- a 33 mile bike on Sun and some swimming on Monday and errands and hanging out with the family. Also took in a movie -- the American -- (a rental) on Friday afternoon.

I was thinking about all us Manatees and wondering how our fall season is lining up. It should be cooling off for a lot of the country -- great running and cycling weather before real winter sets in. Enjoy !!

2010-09-08 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hihihi everyone.  I think I am recovered from last weeks hangover...holy crud!  I definitely am experiencing a mental rough spot in Marathon training, but I am glad...when it happens again in the future, I hopefully won't be so freaked out by...my freakout!

Yanti, you do have a fun mind.  Loved your post on Tinley's article...your critique on his writing was dead on without sounding too "critical."

Lynn, congrats on the 15 miler.  When do your legs start to ache?  Mine seem to hit "ow" around 7-8 miles, and despite my yearnings, all this training hasn't seemed to move that back...no matter how long I am going, the hurt starts at 7-8 miles.  Long run on Sunday was 20 after a 10 mile pace run on Saturday.  I have to keep reminding myself that I am going into the 20 milers tired and there is a reason for it, and I WILL feel better on race day.  I get pretty despondent around mile 17 thinking about having almost another 10 to do.  Sigh.

Ryan, enjoy the mommy-daddy time now!  But don't let all of us telling you to "enjoy it now" scare you.  Raising children is a wild, fun ride.  And the idea that I am responsible for the life of another human being is as magical today as the day they were born...I imagine that NEVER changes.  Such an amazing thing!

What is everyone thinking of for the off season (for those of us that have an off season...grr).

Ok gotta go eat some awesome homemade waffles.  More later!  Q 

2010-09-08 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have a 5k on Saturday.  It's a local race only a few miles from my house and my 7yo is going to do the kids 1 mile fun run after my race is over.  Ryan and Q, it'd be great to have you out if you're interested. 

This morning I managed to do almost 6 miles pushing the little dude in the stroller.  I haven't gone through all my logs but I'm pretty sure that's the furthest I've gone with him so I'm feeling good about that.  I haven't been biking or swimming since the move and should be running more often but it's a work in progress.  I'm hoping to do a 10k later this month and then a couple more 5 or 10ks in October.  If the budget allows we'll be getting a treadmill before the really cold weather hits and if that happens I'm going to try to get ready for a half mary in the spring.  We'll see how that goes.

Lynn, I'm totally amazed at how you manage to get such quality workouts in with kids.  I know yours are older, but most of the time it seems like it's my teenager that's keeping me running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

On the plus side, E is making new friends at school and I'm thrilled because she seems to have hooked up with a bunch of girls in the running club.  The girl she's been hanging with the most, another 13yo, does half marathons and is being recruited by private high schools for their cross country teams and has been doing drills with E during gym to help her form.  I'm hoping the friendship sticks so maybe she'll come train me too
2010-09-08 11:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Hello darling Manatees!

Thank you everyone who's been posting--yippee! Lynn, nice labor on Labor Day! Quincy, thanks. Ryan--glad you got a getaway in before things really get underway. Carla--great to see you! Alison, excellent job on the 6-mile stroller, and I'm really happy to hear things are going well for your daughter.

If I missed you, and you posted recently, send a flipper smack my way

Training's good, life is crazy as usual. The big news du jour is that I am engaged to the love of my life, my best boy friend, and we've been in love and very close touch for a couple decades--but just never quite managed to both be single at the same time, until now. We've still never quite managed to be in the same place, usually not even the same continent (nor are we now), but at this point, we're really okay with having a nontraditional marriage. (We did live near each other in California for a few years, though).

I am also inheriting the world's most wonderful kiddo in the mix (Michael has sole custody of his 6-year-old son) ... I have also maintained a relationship with the son as he's grown up.

So we're working out logistics and are spending WAY TOO MANY hours a day on Skype.
2010-09-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3087371

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
CONGRATS Yanti.  That's exciting news!  Maybe you can multi task and skype-bike?
I have no idea what my winter training is going to consist of.  I need a goal to work towards for next year: more sprints, Olympic distance, half-iron, half-mary, etc. Hmmmm.  Of course based on what you all said I will have no free time ever again in my life Tongue out  Plus I am back in grad school this fall (class is twice/week until 9pm) so that puts a damper on any long training unfortunately. But hopefully come this spring/summer I will have my MBA.

Good job on training out there everyone especially to the great long runs of Lynn, Q, and Allison (w/stroller).
2010-09-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3087442

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-09-09 1:23 AM CONGRATS Yanti.  That's exciting news!  Maybe you can multi task and skype-bike?
I have no idea what my winter training is going to consist of.  I need a goal to work towards for next year: more sprints, Olympic distance, half-iron, half-mary, etc. Hmmmm.  Of course based on what you all said I will have no free time ever again in my life Tongue out  Plus I am back in grad school this fall (class is twice/week until 9pm) so that puts a damper on any long training unfortunately. But hopefully come this spring/summer I will have my MBA.

Good job on training out there everyone especially to the great long runs of Lynn, Q, and Allison (w/stroller).

That is exactly it! The answer, for both you and I. We need trainers!
2010-09-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3087336

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-09-08 11:34 AM I have a 5k on Saturday. It's a local race only a few miles from my house and my 7yo is going to do the kids 1 mile fun run after my race is over. Ryan and Q, it'd be great to have you out if you're interested.

Thanks for the invite!  I am doing Lake Geneva on Saturday...minus you and Ryan, boo. 

And now I am going to do something that normally I hate.  You know how you invite someone to your house and they say no, but then reinvite you to their house instead?  I hate that.  But that's not stopping me from doing it

Anyway, we ARE planning on doing the Bucktown 5k if you and Ry are interested.  This is the rare race that actually takes place NOT on the lakefront...goes through our 'hood.  It's a dreaded "RAM" racing event, but it's pretty hard to screw up a 5k.

It also always makes the news for some weird reason.  Two years ago it was because the city towed everyone's cars parked on the route in the middle of the night without warning them, and last year some guy proposed to his GF at the finish line. 

Anyway if either/both of you show up, I'll talk DH into making brunch afterwards.  You know we love us some brunch!  Or we can go somewhere for b-fast...I don't know of a place that makes sammies as big as your head, but the Hollywood Diner on North and Ashland makes a tex-mex skillet to die for.  All the construction workers, cops, ladies of the evening, and abuelas coming home from church go there, so you KNOW it's good.

2010-09-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3087676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Sorry for dropping out of Lake Geneva...I got burned out on 3 tris in August   I really wanted to do this race but it just didn't work out unfortunately...that and I couldn't get work off on Friday which was frustrating.
Q- I have heard that race is pretty fun...so maybe I'll try to head out and make it another fall 5k.

Allison- I am going to try to make the race this Sat but I need to check with the DW for scheduling first but I'll let you know.
2010-09-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3087748

User image

Master
Vista, CA

YANTI!! Damn woman, that's exciting news -- engaged. Whoa! I'm sure if anyone can make it work you will.  You're one determined woman!  All the best to you and your lovey.

Nice running Q! I'm over 40, so I don't do runs on back to back days. Got some good advice about that early on. That said, you know the long runs are for getting used to running on tired legs. I use the bike to accomplish that, and some lower body strength training. As far as legs aching -- it's always something -- could be my shoe or my ankle or my knee, but whatever it is that bothers, it usually goes away. I would strongly recommend the ice bath after runs, or dipping into some cold lake or pool water. We have this big blue body of water callled the Pacific out here that seems to work wonders. Knowing your pace on shorter runs and as much endurance training as you're doing right now, as long as  you stay injury free (stick to your plan) I think you're really going to rock this marathon. I can hardly wait to see your time and be jealous as hell!

And, Allison, when my son was younger I wasn't into the whole tri thing. The best I could do was an hour at the gym and even then I'd get called to the day care. I basically took time away from exercise when he was younger (I have one kid, so that makes a difference too -- not counting my DH) and gained 30 plus pounds. So I admire you for sticking with it.

Good luck on your 5K's and tris this weekend you Chicagoans! Let's see how fast you can run Ryan! 

Edited by lmscozz 2010-09-08 3:07 PM
2010-09-08 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Yanti. Seriously. I mean SERIOUSLY. News like that is what you open with. That's the lead, not the filler.

Diamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond Text
2010-09-08 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Q, what's the date for the Bucktown 5k?
2010-09-08 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3088337

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-09-08 8:54 PM Yanti. Seriously. I mean SERIOUSLY. News like that is what you open with. That's the lead, not the filler.

Diamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond TextDiamond Text

I am glad someone else did this.  I have been flummoxed by the announcement all day and consequently could not even address it.  Whew.  Yanti.  I have no wedding manners so forgive the following:

whenisthedatewhere'sitgoingtobewhatkindofdressdoyouwanttowearwhereareyougoingtolivecanwecomemydaughterissixIlovesixyearoldshowcute!

And that is being reserved.  Sheesh!

2010-09-08 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3088339

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-09-08 8:54 PM Q, what's the date for the Bucktown 5k?

10/03/2010  Website

2010-09-09 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Hey y'all! Long time, no see!

Things have been bananas. My first tri (a super sprint) is in 17 days and I'm FREAKING OUT. I know I'm ready and I totally have this, but still. I'm afraid I'll drown, crash, or find myself crawling to get to the end of the run and get a big, fat DNF. All totally rational fears, right? Tongue out

That, however, is balanced by looking forward to finally being able to call myself a competitive triathlete.
2010-09-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3088789

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Scottie07 - 2010-09-09 6:23 AM Hey y'all! Long time, no see!

Things have been bananas. My first tri (a super sprint) is in 17 days and I'm FREAKING OUT. I know I'm ready and I totally have this, but still. I'm afraid I'll drown, crash, or find myself crawling to get to the end of the run and get a big, fat DNF. All totally rational fears, right? Tongue out

That, however, is balanced by looking forward to finally being able to call myself a competitive triathlete.[/QUOTE

Yep, normal, perhaps not rational fears.   Try to visual what you WANT to happen, not what you don't want. You'll do fine. Sorry you've waited all summer to finally get to your tri. It will be a relief. Manatees will be there (in spirit) for you! More well wishes to come--- you've got 17 days.

2010-09-09 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
WOW!!! You guys have been active!!

These last 2 weeks have been nuts (getting ready for school, etc) so I have been out of the loop

CONGRATS YANTI!!!  So... where is he living now?  Skype rocks   I have a 6 year old boy too, and they are awesome.

Quincy, go on with your drunk !   I have had a couple of those nights too... no worries.

Ryan, If it makes you feel any better, my DH, son and I lived in a 650 sq ft apt in NYC for a year.  It's totally doable.

Allison,yeah on the move and don't worry about the training... yet

Scottie, Good luck with the super sprint!  You will rock it.  Just follow the training plan.

I know I missed a lot... need to review all the posts and reply again.

BTW - my next tri is on 10/10.  I have done NOTHING the last few weeks, so I need to pick it up!
2010-09-09 11:11 AM

User image

Master
WoW, lots has happened since I checked in yesterday. 
Everyone is nuts or bananas or ENGAGED 
Congrats Yanti! 
I'm in the "I have a 6 year old" club as well. 
With the upcoming races and babies and weddings, this should prove to be an interesting thread over the next year or so. 

2010-09-09 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Lynn-Yeah, I know I'm being irrational. I'm more than ready for it. I'm most concerned about the swim because, well, I hate it. The good news is it's in a lake along the shoreline, so I can stand up if absolutely necessary. I'd prefer not to, though.

I'm also looking at doing a duathlon at the same park in October. Considering how much I hate to swim, I'll probably enjoy that a lot more.

The end of summer is the best time to do endurance events around here (Georgia) as it's not so godawful hot and humid. It's still in the high 80's, but at least the humidity is down from 70%. Hopefully by the end of the month, it'll be even better.
2010-09-09 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3088352

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-09-09 10:04 AM
thndrcloud - 2010-09-08 8:54 PM Yanti. Seriously. I mean SERIOUSLY. News like that is what you open with. That's the lead, not the filler.

I am glad someone else did this.  I have been flummoxed by the announcement all day and consequently could not even address it.  Whew.  Yanti.  I have no wedding manners so forgive the following:

whenisthedatewhere'sitgoingtobewhatkindofdressdoyouwanttowearwhereareyougoingtolivecanwecomemydaughterissixIlovesixyearoldshowcute!

And that is being reserved.  Sheesh!

"flummoxed" -- Q, once again, you're my girl crush.

Date--we'll probably get legally married whenever I make it to the States, and that'll hopefully be before year's end. Slim chance Michael might make it here. Celebrations will be held in Shreveport, LA, the Los Angeles LA, and Bali whenever we can manage them, probably in the first few months of the new year.

Wear? Dress? Clothes. Clean ones. But knowing me, there'll be a coffee splotch somewhere. In Bali, I can get whatever I want tailored for insanely cheap (simple design decent fabric like $70 or so, fancy design really nice fabric MAYBE $200. That's all including labor). But there's this gorgeous handmade Balinese lace, it's all done in white--I might get one of those dresses. I think they run $50-$300 depending on how much of the dress is the lace (trim as opposed to the whole dress, lined).

I suspect for the next few years we'll just be visiting each other and spending as much time together as possible. He'll still be based in Shreveport and me in Bali. Of course you can come to either place, whenever. Bring the fambly.

He's an Air Force linguistics specialist and after his posting there is done, he may leave the Chair Force, he may not, we may both live in the U.S., we may not, we might even both live in Indonesia. The world's our oyster, lightly baked, with Gruyere cheese on top, please.

Looks like we have an AWESOME 6-year-olds Mini-Manatees Club going on. I think Mini Manatees Club sounds even better than Mickey Mouse Club. But what will the hats look like? (Swim caps. Ha.)
2010-09-09 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3088789

User image

Melon Presser
Scottie07 - 2010-09-09 9:23 PM Hey y'all! Long time, no see!

That, however, is balanced by looking forward to finally being able to call myself a competitive triathlete.

1. EMILEEEEEE!!!! Welcome back!

2. Bold part: my dear, that is FUN!!! Do not fear--FUN!

3. Do remember that having fun is the #1 most important priority in a first triathlon. You have the rest of your life to improve.

4. Ditto Lynn on the visualization.
2010-09-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3089278

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-09-10 12:11 AM
With the upcoming races and babies and weddings, this should prove to be an interesting thread over the next year or so. 

This warms my heart beyond belief.

Because it means we're hangin' in for the long haul. I'm here; you? I can't wait to see Ryan's kiddo. (Why do I think it will be a son?)

No matter what, the journey's been phenomenal. For however long it continues, it's a privilege and joy to walk, uh, flipper-crawl, uh swim ... with all the Manatees.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60