Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-08-30 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
That is a cool pic Tim.  I think it makes it more cool that my wife and I were just there last year so we know exactly where that is.  I was amazed at all the apts/housing that had all the bleachers added to the roofs.  Cool stuff.  Down here, there is absolutely nothing around the ballpark.  Just a bunch of open fields and parking lots.  Doesn't really have that same appeal.

Ended up not going to work today.  Ate something bad this weekend and couldn't make it in today.  But I actually got some stuff done around the house as I had to stay close to the bathroom (TMI, I know). 

Yeah, I think the court case really got me mad.  Mainly b/c I felt bad that this idiot could/would fight something like this without realizing all the trouble he was causing everyone.  He also requested a jury trial which means 23 people showed up for jury duty and had to sit through the whole voir dire process to only have 6 picked for the actual jury.  What a waste of time and money for something he knew his dog did and witnessed his dog doing (he told both myself and the cop that his dog did it!!!!).  Only to go up on the stand and lie about it.  Grrr!  Makes me mad that people like this exist. 

Tim, you are doing an awesome thing (the HIM) so don't even worry about the winter right now.  Seriously...don't even put ONE thought into it.  Focus on your race and what you have to do between now and then.  Trust me, I've been on a good race buzz and have laid out all these great plans only to realize they weren't that sustainable after all.  Do the race, take a week or two to relax and do some light training, then re-evaluate. 

But...This past winter was my first real active winter and it was due to the fact I signed up for a winter mentor group.  7-10hrs sounds crazy high for the winter.  I would say to use the winter to have fun.  Do a half marathon, full marathon, get into mountain biking, sign up for some charity bike rides, etc.  Your body and mind just need a break sometimes.  I usually try to focus on the half marathons b/c it allows me to train for something different, but I still have time to throw in at least 1 bike/swim per week just to stay fresh in those events.  For me my run is my weakness, so I try to use that time to focus on it and this year has been my best year ever for running.  I can take months off from swimming and get back into it pretty easy.  The bike as well although it takes more time than the swim.  The run for me takes the most time to get back, so that is the one I choose to focus on the most.  Try to pinpoint your weakest area and use the winter to focus on that.  Sorry this was so long.

Oh, and I got awesome news from garmin today (it is the 310).  They said that if it is less than 1 year old (it is barely...checked today and I bought it on 9/12/09) then they would go ahead and honor the warranty even though it was my fault.  Pretty awesome!  Just have to email them my receipt as proof.  If I don't have to pay a dime out of this then I will be a garmin fan for life!  

Happy Monday everyone!

2010-08-30 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Pete - glad you had time to enjoy with your g/f!  Been trying for years to get my wife to let me go skydiving, and it has always been no.  Might have to look into the indoor thing.  Bet she would agree to let me do it, and might even tag along. 

Meggan - I always liked Cosi.  We had one in Austin (2 actually) but owned by the same person and he over-extended himself and had to go out of business.  So now we have none.   We loved the s'mores!!!

So Sandra, how was the volunteering??  Maybe we can make that a challenge?  Everyone has to volunteer at at least one race before the season/group is over?  Thoughts?
2010-08-30 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3071886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

My little mini vacation was exhausting, but oh so inspiring.  I've been waining on my commitment to tri's for a while now, but this has certainly given me a renewed interest in the sport as a whole.  Catching on the finishing line was amazing, people are amazing, the sheer will power and drive that all these athletes have to get themselves through to the finish line is incredible.  I would do it again in a heart beat and highly recommend the experience of witnessing people completing goals that were hard fought for, it is like nothing else. 

I wasn't there early enough for registration, before the race, but a friend of mine was and she said getting to hear the stories of how they got to do Iron Man were incredible.  I will probably volunteer for that next year when I'm there supporting Ray, since we'll be up a few days earlier.

2010-08-31 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
So I have had 3 people in the past 3 days tell me I look too skinny.  I am trying to figure out if it is just that I have lost another 2-3 pounds with all the distance training or if it just that people are used to seeing the "overweight" Tim.  I tend to gain weight in my face so it is pretty easy to tell when my weight fluctuates.  I tried explaining BMI to my Mother-In -Law but she just couldn't grasp it.  She just started staring at me like I was some kind of freak when I came back from my bike during my brick workout on Sunday-haha

Anyways when I calculate my BMI (5'11", 161) I get a BMI Index of 22.5.  Based on the normal weight range of 18.5 to 24.9 it seems that I am on the higher range of "Normal".  For me to get to the mid-range of "Normal" I would need to drop another 5-6 pounds.  I think my family would admit me to the hospital if that happened-haha

Are these BMI calculations accurate?  Does it take into account muscle?  What do you guys think?
2010-08-31 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3064923

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Sandra:  I heard GREAT things about Penticton.  Everything that I have heard REALLY make me want to volunteer at an IM, and I may do just that at IMLP next year.  It really would be a hell of an experience!

Tim, I don't trust those calculations at all.  I have no advice for what to do, but I don't think that those can really be all that accurate.  I would probably say to do a %BF instead of BMI, just because those numbers are more tangible, if you ask me.  That way, you have a hard and fast number that you know what it is telling you.  I don't know what having a BMI of 22.5 means at all.  But I know what having 12%BF means, if that makes sense.
2010-08-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3073419

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Tim, take it as a compliment!  It could have something to do with those tight a$$ clothes we all wear.  Even my wife will make comments when I am in my bike gear.  I think most people don't see us in those types of clothing so when they do it looks dramatically different than what they are used to.  As long as you don't start looking like skeletor then I think you're ok.

And don't get me started on BMI.  It is just a generic formula based on height and weight.  It does not take muscle or anything else into account.  I have thick/muscular legs that I have been trying to thin down for years but b/c of that I am around a 28 bmi which puts me at the high end of overweight.  A few pounds heavier and I am considered obese!  I do want to lose some more weight, but for me a healthy weight is 180-190 which still has me at the high normal to overweight range.

Body fat percentage is the way to go, but unless you do the water displacement test they are not 100% accurate.  There is the caliper method, which usually shows me around 20% and there is a us navy calculator that has me in the 17% range.  Not a huge difference and at least gives you an idea.

2010-08-31 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3073719

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-08-31 12:14 PM

Body fat percentage is the way to go, but unless you do the water displacement test they are not 100% accurate.  There is the caliper method, which usually shows me around 20% and there is a us navy calculator that has me in the 17% range.  Not a huge difference and at least gives you an idea.

Check some of your local colleges.  They may have the Bod Pod (http://www.bodpod.com/).  It is supposedly one of the most accurate.  One of the mom's in my mom's group is a professor and has offered this up to me numerous times.  I hope to take her up on the offer after Labor Day.
2010-08-31 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Ab challenge set: Repeat x 3

Starting out lying on the ground with the soles of your feet facing the ceiling

1. With hands under buttocks, keeping lower back on ground, lower legs until lower back starts to lift off ground x 10(challenge lift hips, when you bring legs back up to the 90% angle)
  2. With legs bent at the knee Legs at 90% at the knee, hands at side, lowering heals to ground x 10, 
  3. Place your feet on the ground and lift your shoulders off the ground using just your stomach muscles as far as you can x 10
  4. Combine exercise 2 & 3 x 10
  5. Bicycle x 10 each side
  6. Supported v-sit x 10 (challenge: unsupported, arms up)
  7. Get into the unnassisted v-sit position and twist and touch behind you with your hand x 10 each side,
  8. P?lank 30 seconds

If you need any clarification on any of the above exercises, please let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive:-)

2010-08-31 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3074418

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great set Sandra.  Looks tough.  I do have a few questions though. 

#1, 2, and 8 I get. 
Is #3 kinda like a mini crunch but you only lift your shoulders? 
#4...how do I combine 2 and 3?
#5...what is a bicycle?   I thought that was where I lay on my back and use my hands to hold my lower body up in the air and kick my legs in a circle.  Is that not right?
#6 and 7...what is a v-sit and how is it assisted vs unassisted?

Sorry, my idea of ab workouts used to be just a lot of crunches and leg lifts.  SO what is a good schedule to try and do this on?  Should we say 3x a week?  Thanks so much for putting this together!

corstan - 2010-08-31 3:49 PM

Ab challenge set: Repeat x 3

Starting out lying on the ground with the soles of your feet facing the ceiling

1. With hands under buttocks, keeping lower back on ground, lower legs until lower back starts to lift off ground x 10(challenge lift hips, when you bring legs back up to the 90% angle)
  2. With legs bent at the knee Legs at 90% at the knee, hands at side, lowering heals to ground x 10, 
  3. Place your feet on the ground and lift your shoulders off the ground using just your stomach muscles as far as you can x 10
  4. Combine exercise 2 & 3 x 10
  5. Bicycle x 10 each side
  6. Supported v-sit x 10 (challenge: unsupported, arms up)
  7. Get into the unnassisted v-sit position and twist and touch behind you with your hand x 10 each side,
  8. P?lank 30 seconds

If you need any clarification on any of the above exercises, please let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive:-)

2010-08-31 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3074867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
yes, #3 is like a crunch but you are keeping your neck in the neutral position and lifting straight up rather than in towards your knees.

Doing #2 & #3 together:  this time start with your feet bent with your feet on the ground, at the same time you lift your shoulders, lift your feet and breing your legs into the 90 degree angle, hold for a couple of seconds and then go back to the starting position.

#5 the bicycle is basically an oblique crunch.  With hands by your ears or gently supporting your neck(do not pull on your neck) you bring your right elbow to your left knee and extend your right leg till it is straight, then reverse and bring your left elbow to your right knee and extend the left leg out straight, repeat 10 times each side.

I think everyone should set their own target for how many times they want to do it per week, based on what they can fit into their workout/daily schedule, and then state that as their commitment for the challenge. 

I am going to commit to doing this a minimum of 4 times per week, which will be a huge challenge for me.
2010-09-01 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3075038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Thanks for setting that up, Sandra!  Looks tough, but like a good way to start us all on core workouts!  I will aim to do this 3x per week, and never on 2 consecutive days.

Also, this being the first of the month, I am going to throw out my goals for the month.  I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau weight-wise, and I need to bust through.  I am currently weighing in at 178 lbs, and my goal is to get down to about 160-165 by the end of the year, so I really need to get going.  I plan on not being as liberal as I have been in the past month with my diet, not eating out as much, and really focusing on it.  To do this, I am going to try to track my nutrition better on here, so that I am accountable.  I will also be more diligent about tracking my workouts, online and on paper.  Lastly, I have a 10k run race that I am doing on the 18th.  My B-Goal is 50mins, and my A-Goal is 45.  I think these are reasonable goals.  If not, I know better for next time!

What does everyone else have as goals for this month? 

2010-09-01 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Need some help with my training plan this week.  Two week ago, the plan was right around 25 miles, give or take.  Last week it was a rest week and only called for 19ish miles.  This week it calls for 29-30.  Does that seem absurd to anyone else?  Next week is 28 miles.  Do you think that was a mistake?  The runs are 5.5, 5.75, 7, and 12.  I have done 5.38 and 5.72 so pretty close to the first 2 runs.

Here are my options...

1.  Do the 7 and 12. (total 30.10)
2.  Do 5 and 12.  (total 28.10)
3.  Do 12 and another run (you tell me the distance)

And if I don't follow the actual plan, do I repeat this week next week and go for the full miles for the week?  Or do I just think this week was a mistake and go on to the next week?  Remember, I have 2 extra weeks built in to the plan since I started it 2 weeks early.  I am just afraid my achilles will start to act up if I go from 25 to 19 to 30 in three weeks time.
2010-09-01 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3075342

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Almost all run (or even tri) plans that I see would have you repeating that 25mi week after your recovery week.  So it would have you doing 25, 19, 25...then increasing by ~10% to 28, 31, and then another recovery week.  I would try to do the same schedule you had for the 25mi week.

Mrschach - 2010-09-01 7:57 AM Need some help with my training plan this week.  Two week ago, the plan was right around 25 miles, give or take.  Last week it was a rest week and only called for 19ish miles.  This week it calls for 29-30.  Does that seem absurd to anyone else?  Next week is 28 miles.  Do you think that was a mistake?  The runs are 5.5, 5.75, 7, and 12.  I have done 5.38 and 5.72 so pretty close to the first 2 runs.

Here are my options...

And if I don't follow the actual plan, do I repeat this week next week and go for the full miles for the week?  Or do I just think this week was a mistake and go on to the next week?  Remember, I have 2 extra weeks built in to the plan since I started it 2 weeks early.  I am just afraid my achilles will start to act up if I go from 25 to 19 to 30 in three weeks time.
2010-09-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3075382

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-09-01 8:12 AM Almost all run (or even tri) plans that I see would have you repeating that 25mi week after your recovery week.  So it would have you doing 25, 19, 25...then increasing by ~10% to 28, 31, and then another recovery week.  I would try to do the same schedule you had for the 25mi week.

Mrschach - 2010-09-01 7:57 AM Need some help with my training plan this week.  Two week ago, the plan was right around 25 miles, give or take.  Last week it was a rest week and only called for 19ish miles.  This week it calls for 29-30.  Does that seem absurd to anyone else?  Next week is 28 miles.  Do you think that was a mistake?  The runs are 5.5, 5.75, 7, and 12.  I have done 5.38 and 5.72 so pretty close to the first 2 runs.

Here are my options...

Thanks Tim!  I think I have a copy of the plan in the car.  I want to check out the week following any other rest weeks.  The 7 mile run is an interval run and I wonder if it is a typo and has too many intervals. 
2010-09-01 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3075287

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-09-01 7:32 AM
What does everyone else have as goals for this month? 

I sucked it up and joined Weight Watchers on Monday.  It is the only thing that has really worked for me in the past.  I have about 10 pounds of baby weight left to lose and want to lose another 25 after that.  I lucked out and found a leader that is a marathon runner so I feel pretty comfortable doing it while training!  I really don't have a time period on the losing weight goal.  I know where I want to be by the start of next tri season!

So my goals for September...stay on the plan for running and Weight Watchers.  Another goal is to get out after dinner with the kids for a walk/bike ride.  We normally let Joe ride his bike and put Logan in the BOB or the wagon.  My goal for this month is 3 times a week.  Joe's karate schedule changes next week so it means two slightly later evenings than we are used to now.  I do plan on logging the walks with the family somehow, not sure on here or the calendar at home.
2010-09-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3075038

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks Sandra, so the bicycle is not what I used to do as a kid!   So what is the v-sit? 

I am going to commit to doing this 3x per week (and 2x this short first week).  I am going to see if I can add the workout into my goals on my blog page so that way it is readily accessible and visible. 

Pete - good luck on reaching the weight goal.  I too am fighting with the food control portion of my weight loss.  My other goals for this month:
-I have a 2.5mi running race this Fri that I want to do in 20min or less
-a 10k at the end of the month that I want to do in 52min or less
-stick to my running program until that 10k

2010-09-01 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Ab workout looks good Sandra - I will try it tonight.
2010-09-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3075444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I managed to dig up the You tube video I got this workout from, I was looking for it the other day, but to no avail. This will take all the guessing out of what you should be doing.

http://health.knowledgedd.com/best-ab-workout-circuit-by-tone-it-up/  I've used this set in my bootcamps a lot, with great results, when done on a regular basis.

On an interesting note, while I was looking for a picture of an "assisted v-sit" on google our mentor group discussion showed up on the bottom of the first page of results:-)

2010-09-01 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran

Sandra-thanks for putting that together. 

I am going to stick with the P90X Ab Ripper 3 x a week, since that is what I am doing right now.  My September goal is to lose 5 lbs.  I am super frustrated today because I gained .4 from last week to this week.  Seriously?!  I have been tracking food this past week.  Maybe I too need to go back to WW.  That is the ONLY thing that has ever been successful for me to lose weight!  I really want to be back to my pre baby weight and I am 15 lbs away from that! 

My workout goal is to continue with the P90X for Sept. as well.  We are in week 4-recovery this week.  The girls at work are talking about doing an indoor tri in mid-november and i am thinking about signing up.  It is at one of the local YMCA's and only costs $25!  I could definately do that and if I start training in Oct. it would give me 6 weeks.  The only concern would be building up for the bike. 

On a side note I got a Garmin FR60!  Still trying to figure it out....will it tell me how many calories I burn during a workout?  I need to download the owners manual b/c it only came with a quick start manual. 

2010-09-01 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
That video cleared it all up perfectly.  Hopefully no one at work saw me looking at that though!
2010-09-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3075787

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
debbiereid06 - 2010-09-01 8:19 AM

Sandra-thanks for putting that together. 

I am going to stick with the P90X Ab Ripper 3 x a week, since that is what I am doing right now.  My September goal is to lose 5 lbs.  I am super frustrated today because I gained .4 from last week to this week.  Seriously?!  I have been tracking food this past week.  Maybe I too need to go back to WW.  That is the ONLY thing that has ever been successful for me to lose weight!  I really want to be back to my pre baby weight and I am 15 lbs away from that! 

My workout goal is to continue with the P90X for Sept. as well.  We are in week 4-recovery this week.  The girls at work are talking about doing an indoor tri in mid-november and i am thinking about signing up.  It is at one of the local YMCA's and only costs $25!  I could definately do that and if I start training in Oct. it would give me 6 weeks.  The only concern would be building up for the bike. 

On a side note I got a Garmin FR60!  Still trying to figure it out....will it tell me how many calories I burn during a workout?  I need to download the owners manual b/c it only came with a quick start manual. 

I understand having weight goals, but I don't think you should live and die by that, inches lost and muscle gained are far more important.  Don't let the scale dictate your life, but how your clothes fit, how your body looks and how you feel physically.  You are doing a lot of that P90X right now, which is great for building strength and muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.  .4 in the scheme of things is a very small amount and can easily be attributed to water weight. 

I have the garmin 305 and it tells me calories burned, but those numbers are not very accurate, but more of a general guideline.

2010-09-01 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3075891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-09-01 8:46 AM That video cleared it all up perfectly.  Hopefully no one at work saw me looking at that though!

LOL, if they did, just challenge them to do the workout
2010-09-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3075902

User image

Veteran
Thanks Sandra....I know that it shouldn't dictate....it just frustrates me though.  I am hoping when we take measurements tonight that i see some results there and that will be fine with me! 
2010-09-01 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Did my first Ab Challenge after my run today.  Boy was it tough by the 3rd set.  Not sure if I was supposed to do this or not Sandra, but I took about a 1min break between each set.  Some of these involve some serious balance and coordination which I am not great at but hopefully after doing this a few times it will get easier and more natural.  We'll see how sore I am tomorrow!
2010-09-01 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...I just watched the video and I am LMAO at you watching it at work!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103