BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
reading that article answers my own question about losing weight. Now is not the time. I'll wait till after my last tri this year. If I lose any during the season It'll be purely from excercise. No calorie defecites.

2011-04-06 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
This is a very interesting thread.  I will have to read that article more closely when I am not working.  For myself, I must say that I was being a bit sarcastic yesterday.  Erin and I are not doing any cleansing diet.  I do sometimes do that for about three days once or twice a year, but definitely not now.  I am not into most fruits and vegies as I should be (by any means), so I try to get what I can through what I like (such as V8, raw spinach, oranges, bananas, and smoothies).  I am just trying to eat healthier and avoid a lot more of the wasted calories and fried foods.  Unfortunately, I do not have any races for awhile, so I want to drop those few pounds now before the training gets very serious because I know that I can't do it then.  In the end, whatever is going to happen is going to happen.  My guess is, however, that most of us that have ended up doing tri's at an "older" age may have happened into this while trying to lose weight and/or become healthier.  I got bored of typical exercise and jumped at the opportunity to prove something to myself (and possibly others).  Now that aspect of competition completely drives me to workout!
2011-04-06 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
By the way, great article Brian!  Thanks for posting it!
2011-04-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3432804

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

mcommend - 2011-04-06 3:09 PM This is a very interesting thread.  I will have to read that article more closely when I am not working.  For myself, I must say that I was being a bit sarcastic yesterday.  Erin and I are not doing any cleansing diet.  I do sometimes do that for about three days once or twice a year, but definitely not now.  I am not into most fruits and vegies as I should be (by any means), so I try to get what I can through what I like (such as V8, raw spinach, oranges, bananas, and smoothies).  I am just trying to eat healthier and avoid a lot more of the wasted calories and fried foods.  Unfortunately, I do not have any races for awhile, so I want to drop those few pounds now before the training gets very serious because I know that I can't do it then.  In the end, whatever is going to happen is going to happen.  My guess is, however, that most of us that have ended up doing tri's at an "older" age may have happened into this while trying to lose weight and/or become healthier.  I got bored of typical exercise and jumped at the opportunity to prove something to myself (and possibly others).  Now that aspect of competition completely drives me to workout!

speak for yourself....i'm doing an experimental chocolate cleanse! Laughing

2011-04-06 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
All of this talk about food is making me hungry!  So, who has any races in the near future? 
2011-04-06 5:08 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm supposed to race on Sunday. However, I haven't been able to test my mtb in the trails yet and I have a 24mile training run planned for Saturday. I'm not sure I'm going to be up for the race. I'm going to swim class in the morning and I'll dcide after that. It's supposed to rain anyway. After that my marathon is April 30

2011-04-06 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3431972

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-06 8:09 AM Thanks Brian. You explained it perfectly. I will look at Livestrong.com.

Yup, Dale if you are at 12% bodyfat and really close to the 6-pack you want, I'm guessing it's all about quality of nutrition right now. Cut the donuts. Seriously! I mean, have 1 a month or something, but not twice a week. Try a round of P90X if you get the chance. If you stick the nutrition in that & do most of the workouts over the 3 months I'd bet money on those last few pounds just melting off you. I can't wait to be at 12%!

2011-04-06 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3433146

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

mcommend - 2011-04-06 4:30 PM All of this talk about food is making me hungry!  So, who has any races in the near future? 

I've got the 5K coming up on April 17th and my Tri is May 7th which is thundering at me like a freight train! I'm starting to realize all the things I HAVEN'T done yet, but that have to happen in the next 4 weeks. I'm checking out the race route on April 16th (it's 2 hours away, so I have to plan a day trip) and I need to try working out in my trisuit which is still hanging in my closet with the tags on it (I feel like a geek in it! LOL I've never worn anything form fitting my entire life!) and I need to start practicing transitions on the weekends. Luckily the weather is finally starting to cooperate.

2011-04-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3433185

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-04-06 6:08 PM I'm supposed to race on Sunday. However, I haven't been able to test my mtb in the trails yet and I have a 24mile training run planned for Saturday. I'm not sure I'm going to be up for the race. I'm going to swim class in the morning and I'll dcide after that. It's supposed to rain anyway. After that my marathon is April 30

Is this your first marathon?  What is your goal time?

2011-04-06 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hahaaha! Michael putting me on the spot!

I was originally thinking 3:30. That's what the McMillan calculator had me at. But, after gettng in a few 20+ mile runs in, I'm going to be happy if I finish around 4 hours. Honestly, a month ago I was feeling pretty comfortable doing 7:30 miles. Recently, I've been feeling so exhausted, and I've got aches and pains everywhere from the training. I'm not feeling very comfortable at 7:30 now. I'm one of hoping tungsten get pulled together during taper. Maybe I'll heal up those aches and pains, get some much needed rest, and surprise myself in the race. But the way I'm feeling right now, it's hard to be hopeful.
2011-04-06 8:58 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

So today I had a customer who hadn't seen me since I got on my fitness craze (1yr 4mo) basically sit with their mouth open as they looked at me. When I first saw them they didn't even recognise me.  The first words out of their mouths was " Oh my God"  They said it looked like I lost 40 pounds. Asked me if I was sick.  Truth is, I lost 25 pounds over the first six months and have been gaining it back since.  I am only 5 - 10 pounds from my starting weight.  I told them I still weigh 195 and they couldn't believe me.  They said I looked fit and "buff". Said I looked ten years younger.   I am going to stop worrying about the stupid scale.  I don't look fat, I don't feel fat, I am not fat.  The stupid scale isn't showing the fat loss anymore.  The stupid scale is just making me doubt myself.  I still fit into the smaller clothes that I had to buy when I lost the 25 lbs.  The truth is, I like the extra muscle tone.  I like my arms being cut and my calves having muscles.  I like the broader chest and back. If I have to get so thin that I am on the verge of sickness to be competitive in triathlon, then I guess I will always be racing against myself.  I am fine with that.  Who cares if I am number 391.  I am just stoked to be able to do a triathlon in the first place.  I am going to get the six pack. That is one thing I am still striving for.  I am so close.  I am going to watch my diet a little better and see if I can't lose a few more pounds of fat and then I am just going to maintain it.  I don't really want to look like the triathletes in the magazines.  I would rather look like Marc Walberg.  

Henry:  I live in a second story apartment.  I wanted to try P90X but am afraid of of the neighbor downstairs.   Looks like a lot of jumping.  Yes?  One reason I liked Kettleworx was it was somewhat quiet.

Michael:  I am with you.  Love v8.

2011-04-06 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3433417

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-04-06 9:39 PM Hahaaha! Michael putting me on the spot! I was originally thinking 3:30. That's what the McMillan calculator had me at. But, after gettng in a few 20+ mile runs in, I'm going to be happy if I finish around 4 hours. Honestly, a month ago I was feeling pretty comfortable doing 7:30 miles. Recently, I've been feeling so exhausted, and I've got aches and pains everywhere from the training. I'm not feeling very comfortable at 7:30 now. I'm one of hoping tungsten get pulled together during taper. Maybe I'll heal up those aches and pains, get some much needed rest, and surprise myself in the race. But the way I'm feeling right now, it's hard to be hopeful.

I did not mean to put you on the spot, but it's always good to make those goals public to keep you accountable....lol.  Hey, I think 4 hours would be a great time!  It's better than 5 hours, right?

2011-04-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3433540

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-06 9:50 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-06 9:39 PM Hahaaha! Michael putting me on the spot! I was originally thinking 3:30. That's what the McMillan calculator had me at. But, after gettng in a few 20+ mile runs in, I'm going to be happy if I finish around 4 hours. Honestly, a month ago I was feeling pretty comfortable doing 7:30 miles. Recently, I've been feeling so exhausted, and I've got aches and pains everywhere from the training. I'm not feeling very comfortable at 7:30 now. I'm one of hoping tungsten get pulled together during taper. Maybe I'll heal up those aches and pains, get some much needed rest, and surprise myself in the race. But the way I'm feeling right now, it's hard to be hopeful.

I did not mean to put you on the spot, but it's always good to make those goals public to keep you accountable....lol.  Hey, I think 4 hours would be a great time!  It's better than 5 hours, right?

I know it's good. I'm so back and forth on it. I know I could hold 7:30 miles for the whole thing. But I also know I'll be totally destroyed afterwards if I do! That would risk my training for HIM and increase my recovery time greatly. I REALLY want to do well in the HIM, the marathon I basically just want to complete. Doing both all out would be really hard because if I destroy myself on the marathon I'd be looking at a months recovery time. I would not be ready for HIM Racine if I do that.

Edited by Meulen 2011-04-07 8:04 AM
2011-04-07 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hey group, just an FYI, it looks like we've been thrown into the Mentor Group Archives. So be sure to find the thread there so we can continue.
2011-04-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3433448

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-06 8:58 PM

So today I had a customer who hadn't seen me since I got on my fitness craze (1yr 4mo) basically sit with their mouth open as they looked at me. When I first saw them they didn't even recognise me.  The first words out of their mouths was " Oh my God"  They said it looked like I lost 40 pounds. Asked me if I was sick.  Truth is, I lost 25 pounds over the first six months and have been gaining it back since.  I am only 5 - 10 pounds from my starting weight.  I told them I still weigh 195 and they couldn't believe me.  They said I looked fit and "buff". Said I looked ten years younger.   I am going to stop worrying about the stupid scale.  I don't look fat, I don't feel fat, I am not fat.  The stupid scale isn't showing the fat loss anymore.  The stupid scale is just making me doubt myself.  I still fit into the smaller clothes that I had to buy when I lost the 25 lbs.  The truth is, I like the extra muscle tone.  I like my arms being cut and my calves having muscles.  I like the broader chest and back. If I have to get so thin that I am on the verge of sickness to be competitive in triathlon, then I guess I will always be racing against myself.  I am fine with that.  Who cares if I am number 391.  I am just stoked to be able to do a triathlon in the first place.  I am going to get the six pack. That is one thing I am still striving for.  I am so close.  I am going to watch my diet a little better and see if I can't lose a few more pounds of fat and then I am just going to maintain it.  I don't really want to look like the triathletes in the magazines.  I would rather look like Marc Walberg.  

Henry:  I live in a second story apartment.  I wanted to try P90X but am afraid of of the neighbor downstairs.   Looks like a lot of jumping.  Yes?  One reason I liked Kettleworx was it was somewhat quiet.

Michael:  I am with you.  Love v8.

Awesome! That is so cool Dale! As for the apartment thing, yes, plyometrics involves a lot of jumping & is a fairly key workout to the program. I have another friend who bought the program and decided later not to do it, in part for that exact reason. However, Plyo is only one day/week (and I think not on recovery weeks, so 3x/month) and it's the only workout of the set that involves jumping, aside from the occassional jumping jacks in a warmup. Even if you had to skip plyo completely, which would be too bad, it's still a good program.

Sounds like you have gotten in great shape and I completely agree with your intent to ignore the scale at this point. Body fat % & the fit of your clothes are much more important.

2011-04-07 9:29 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
For those of you looking to lose those last few lbs, bare in mind V8 has a lot of sodium and will make you retain unwanted water weight. Eat the real vege's people!!! Just my .02

2011-04-07 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Wow, I was a little worried about our thread for a minute - I didn't know they had been archived!

Erin - I think the idea of a chocolate cleanse sounds wonderful.  I may join you!  Seeing all the Easter candy is driving me crazy!  Wink

I have a 10k on the 16th.  It is my first actual 10k race.  The only other one I did was in my Oly.  And I have a 10 mile training run scheduled this Sunday - my first double digit run!  I am looking forward to it.

I have lost some winter weight the past month or so, but after reading all the info above, I think it is time to stop focusing on the weight loss and really focus on performance.  Thanks for all of the above info!

Karen

2011-04-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3326968

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Ok Brian, here is the single speed that I built up 2 winters ago! I love it so much. The gear is pretty high (didn't have time to count the teeth this morning, and I can never remember) so I haul . The rear wheel has a flip-flop hub so I can switch back & forth from fixed to free by just flipping the wheel.

(singlespeed1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
singlespeed1.JPG (93KB - 11 downloads)
2011-04-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3434092

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-07 9:44 AM

Ok Brian, here is the single speed that I built up 2 winters ago! I love it so much. The gear is pretty high (didn't have time to count the teeth this morning, and I can never remember) so I haul . The rear wheel has a flip-flop hub so I can switch back & forth from fixed to free by just flipping the wheel.

that's hot!!!!!

I'm debating what color to go with on mine. Hmmmmmmmmm?

No idea what gear to go with. I'm looking at some velocity deep v's as well, but not sure if I want the machined surface. Problem is I'm stuck with fixed gear if I don't get the machined surface wheels. I won't be able to change if I don't like it. I've got some time to think about it though. There's no hurry.
2011-04-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3434138

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Meulen - 2011-04-07 10:07 AM

that's hot!!!!! I'm debating what color to go with on mine. Hmmmmmmmmm? No idea what gear to go with. I'm looking at some velocity deep v's as well, but not sure if I want the machined surface. Problem is I'm stuck with fixed gear if I don't get the machined surface wheels. I won't be able to change if I don't like it. I've got some time to think about it though. There's no hurry.

I should have picked a different rim color because the blues don't match exactly - It doesn't bother me *too* much, but if I'd just gone with anything *not* blue, it wouldn't have mattered. I didn't have the rims when I picked out the paint for the frame. I'm looking through old emails trying to find the website I ordered my rims from. VERY reasonable prices, so I'll let ya know. When are you gonna start building?

2011-04-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3434050

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-04-07 10:29 AM For those of you looking to lose those last few lbs, bare in mind V8 has a lot of sodium and will make you retain unwanted water weight. Eat the real vege's people!!! Just my .02

i hear you!!! michael's idea of a vegetable is a potato so... v8 is better than nothing.

nice ride, henry!!

i'm trying to talk michael into driving to ohio so i can do a triathlon there on may 15th. it's the same day as the pgh. marathon so i wouldn't feel like a loser since i won't be doing the half this year.

2011-04-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3434242

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-07 10:51 AM

Meulen - 2011-04-07 10:07 AM

that's hot!!!!! I'm debating what color to go with on mine. Hmmmmmmmmm? No idea what gear to go with. I'm looking at some velocity deep v's as well, but not sure if I want the machined surface. Problem is I'm stuck with fixed gear if I don't get the machined surface wheels. I won't be able to change if I don't like it. I've got some time to think about it though. There's no hurry.

I should have picked a different rim color because the blues don't match exactly - It doesn't bother me *too* much, but if I'd just gone with anything *not* blue, it wouldn't have mattered. I didn't have the rims when I picked out the paint for the frame. I'm looking through old emails trying to find the website I ordered my rims from. VERY reasonable prices, so I'll let ya know. When are you gonna start building?

I already bought the bike, the picture is on the last page. I'll just buy things as they come up. I'm not in a serious hurry, but if I find deals on things I need I'll pounce. I don't "need" to be done with it for a couple years, but I would definitely like to be finished with it over this winter.
2011-04-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3434291

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Super score of the week: Today a co-worker brought me a pair of free (and only slightly used) aero bars! Unfortunately he herniated a disc in his neck and the Dr. said NO MORE AEROBARS EVER. And if that wasn't awesome enough, a guy in my swim class this morning asked if I was training for something. When I told him about my race he said he & his friend are doing a tri the weekend before (and they're registered for 7 or 8 between now & september!) and they're also training for a HIM and invited me to come on a short training ride with them before my race. I know they'll kick my , but that's a good thing! I'm planning on tons of riding over the next 2 weeks. It's supposed to be in the low to mid-60's today!!!

(aerobars.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aerobars.jpg (55KB - 9 downloads)
2011-04-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3434050

User image

Veteran

I am not a big vegie fan, so V8 is a great thing for me.  I do get the low sodium, and I don't really eat much more sodium through the day.  I do know that the real thing is much better, but I am slowly making progress....

How does the archived thread effect us?  Just wondering because I am still accessing it the same as before

2011-04-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3434427

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-07 12:10 PM

I am not a big vegie fan, so V8 is a great thing for me.  I do get the low sodium, and I don't really eat much more sodium through the day.  I do know that the real thing is much better, but I am slowly making progress....

How does the archived thread effect us?  Just wondering because I am still accessing it the same as before

the thread is just in a different location. If it didn't effect your links, that's cool. Otherwise, you'll have to navigate slightly different to access it. I'll still be here and answer any questions you may have. Although, you could join another group if you'd like. Completely up to you!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56