BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-20 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

I made it 148 miles!! PHWEW! That was a LOT of work for a beer!  www.harpoonb2b.com

I loved my Harpoon Brewery to Brewery experience.  I started in Boston, Massachusetts just after 6am and arrived in Windsor, Vermont just after 5pm.  I was supposed to start sometime after 5am with the 16mph group.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough cash on me to cover the $15 parking fee plus emergency cash for the road, so I had to drive to two different ATMs in Boston to find a place that would accept my debit card.  Needless to say, I got in line much later than expected.  

Riders lined up and entered a holding pen of 25 people and were released 5 minutes apart.  We had some "budgers" which caused me to be delayed and pushed back into faster pelotons.  I was rushing at the start to hold 18 mph with my group and got dropped around mile 16.  I rode by myself until I caught up with three cyclists.  One of them was having trouble as he was a larger guy on a non-road bike.  I figured it was worth slowing down to stick with someone than to continue by myself.  Well, the SAG wagon started encouraging us to pick up the pace, or else.  The guy having trouble ended up getting picked up for going too slow and we had to make up time.  If we didn't get to the brewery by 5pm we'd get picked up, too.  The weather was hotter than predicted earlier in the week (I was expected a high of 75 and it got into the upper 80s).  8 miles from the brewery the woman I was riding with took a bad angle across railroad tracks and wiped out.  She got banged up, but continued on.  4 miles from the brewery we got hailed on.  OUCH! I stuck it out in the hail since we were SO close, but then it started lightning out.  The SAG wagon was picking up cyclists but because we were still pedaling strong we were allowed to finish out when the storm passed.  

I took a little over 10 hours in the saddle to get there (11 hours all together).  Technically, I'm not supposed to be able to sign up for the race again because I didn't maintain a 16mph pace.  But, I think I could plead my case (waiting for the guy that was having cycling trouble) if I wanted to do the B2B again.

The event was run amazingly smooth!  I was SO worried that being one of the last cyclists would mean I'd be left with scraps of food and tired volunteers, but I was so wrong.  Everyone was awesome!!  AND there was TONS of food, beer and hot water in the showers when I crossed the finish line.  I would highly recommend this event for serious cyclists that can make the trek for this event!! 

A note of caution... we averaged only about 12 mph during miles 50-120 because it was so damn hilly.  Some veterans told me after the fact that I should have been aiming for 18mph out of Boston for the first 50 miles so that my overall average would be 16mph... I was holding 16mph at the start not thinking about "banking" time because of the hills ahead. 

Right now, I'm just suuuuper fatigued.  My body isn't really beat up.  I did a great job of fueling and taking pain meds along the way.  At mile 130 my hernia on the right side started acting up.  I was pleased that it took so long to really bother me, but frustrated that I had pain which will require surgery to fix if I want to do another Ironman (I'm planning on Ironman New Zealand in 2-3 years).

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

2011-06-21 1:27 AM
in reply to: #3559066

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Sara - is there a way to do the "scap ups" using the alternative push ups? And is there somewhere I can go to get visuals on how to do the curl, extension, etc stuff for my arms?
2011-06-21 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3559076

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-20 9:23 PM
nadaswimmer - 2011-06-19 10:39 AM

For drills...those should be "prescribed" based on your technique.  For most triathletes, though, I think "catch up" drill is really important.  When one hand enters the water it taps the hand that's out in front before you begin the next drill.  You can do this with one arm at a time (ALL FOLKS IN THE GROUP SHOULD INCORPORATE ONE ARM DRILLS INTO THEIR SWIMMING!!!) where your left arm stays straight out in front and you just pull with your right arm and you make sure to tap the left hand with each pull. Can I do the these with 1 arm resting on the kickboard instead of using a pull buoy - that's what it describes in the beginner workouts here but I still don't have one, lol

Another drill I like: "fist drill".  Just close your fist as you swim (I just typed "fish" several times trying to type that sentence out, ugh!). You develop a better feel for the water. - Isn't all this swim practice meant to turn us in to fish though? Maybe that' why you typed it

Lastly: "okay" drill.  Make the "okay" symbol with your hands as you swim.  The "O" your thumb and pointer finger makes should pull down the center of your body, like you're climbing a rope.

Let me know if I can help more!

2011-06-21 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3558844

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-06-20 6:34 PM

So I survived my trip to Europe AND actually managed to exercise each day while I was over there -- the peach run remains in tact (thanks again Sara!!!).  I've actually ran 7 of the past 8 days and it's amazing to see the impact.  Feel like the legs are finally strengthening and getting better with each day.  Unfortunately, supect when I hit the pool and bike tomorrow I'll notice the other two disciplines have regressed!!!!!

Let's hear about the races / big rides from over the weekend.

Well done, Curt!! They must have thought of you as the crazy American
2011-06-21 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Sara - congrats on the ride. A long battle, for sure. Very nice of you to give support to the folks who were not quite as speedy. Hope you recover soon!

I went for a 4 mile run this AM and it was SPECTACULAR. I felt good, weather was perfect, and I was able to see a gorgeous sunrise over the ocean as I ran around the small harbor in my town. Made me realize I'm lucky to live where I do. Was also slightly annoyed with myself for not getting in more running lately. I really enjoyed hitting the road this AM.

My open water ocean swims continue as well. did another one last night, this time about 1000 yards. Felt good, and my sighting was better. At one point I went hard, and felt the best I have in any OWS I've done so far. Just glided through the water. I'm feeling pretty confident about the tri swim on Sunday. Another OWS happening tonight. I've pretty much given up on pool swimming the past couple weeks and have been doing OWS exclusively.

2011-06-21 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3559342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-06-21 6:39 AM

Sara - congrats on the ride. A long battle, for sure. Very nice of you to give support to the folks who were not quite as speedy. Hope you recover soon!

I went for a 4 mile run this AM and it was SPECTACULAR. I felt good, weather was perfect, and I was able to see a gorgeous sunrise over the ocean as I ran around the small harbor in my town. Made me realize I'm lucky to live where I do. Was also slightly annoyed with myself for not getting in more running lately. I really enjoyed hitting the road this AM.

My open water ocean swims continue as well. did another one last night, this time about 1000 yards. Felt good, and my sighting was better. At one point I went hard, and felt the best I have in any OWS I've done so far. Just glided through the water. I'm feeling pretty confident about the tri swim on Sunday. Another OWS happening tonight. I've pretty much given up on pool swimming the past couple weeks and have been doing OWS exclusively.

Nice avatar -- we won't go in to the Freudian implications!!!!!  Glad you got back at the run.  It seems like I also always feel great after the workouts and wonder why it's so hard to get started.

Got back in the pool this AM for the first time in a week and a half.  Let's just say that I'm not a fish and leave it at that....

2011-06-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3559474

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-06-21 8:01 AM
Mike_D - 2011-06-21 6:39 AM

Nice avatar -- we won't go in to the Freudian implications!!!!!  Glad you got back at the run.  It seems like I also always feel great after the workouts and wonder why it's so hard to get started.

Got back in the pool this AM for the first time in a week and a half.  Let's just say that I'm not a fish and leave it at that....

LOL -- its there as a reminder to me "If we can send a man to the moon, I can certainly do what I need to do today"
2011-06-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3559268

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-06-21 2:27 AM Thanks Sara - is there a way to do the "scap ups" using the alternative push ups? And is there somewhere I can go to get visuals on how to do the curl, extension, etc stuff for my arms?

You can modify to do scap ups by kneeling.  I don't have specifics on visuals, since I'm a YouTube person. =)

2011-06-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3559342

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-06-21 7:39 AM

Way to go Mike! Nice work!

2011-06-21 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Great work Mike and Sara--y'all are kicking butt and takin' names!

It been a busy, crazy week for me again, dealing with life as usual...my training has been going well nonetheless. last Friday, I completed a 12.5 mile bike ride--it went really fast, most likely because I left quite late and was fighting to get home before the sun went down! I did a pretty decent swim yesterday followed by a short run on the treadmill for tri class--we were going to run outside, but 95+ degree weather sort of made that idea rather icky. Nothing major today, as its 100 degrees---ICK! I will be doing some Wii fit instead... Tomorrow will be an OWS followed by a bike ride at the lake park...still in 100 degrees, but at least the wet clothes from the swim will help on the bike!

Hope all is well (and PEACHY!!!)

2011-06-22 5:18 AM
in reply to: #3560529

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-21 2:21 PM

suzielea - 2011-06-21 2:27 AM Thanks Sara - is there a way to do the "scap ups" using the alternative push ups? And is there somewhere I can go to get visuals on how to do the curl, extension, etc stuff for my arms?

You can modify to do scap ups by kneeling.  I don't have specifics on visuals, since I'm a YouTube person. =)

Links to youtube are fine for visuals.

2011-06-23 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

So, back to the pool today. It was odd swimming there after having done several OWS as my recent swims. Felt good, and had a great time. My wife joined me at the pool, and we had a great time. I did mostly drills and interval swims. Left feeling confident about my swim at the race on Sunday. I'll be heading back to the beach once or twice before the race for a couple more practice sessions. Overall, I feel like I'm going to have a great race on Sunday. Feeling very good about the swim & bike, and the run should be OK. Planning on a final brick workout tomorrow AM to get me ready.

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

Happy summer, everyone !

2011-06-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3561271

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-06-21 10:59 PM

Great work Mike and Sara--y'all are kicking butt and takin' names!

It been a busy, crazy week for me again, dealing with life as usual...my training has been going well nonetheless. last Friday, I completed a 12.5 mile bike ride--it went really fast, most likely because I left quite late and was fighting to get home before the sun went down! I did a pretty decent swim yesterday followed by a short run on the treadmill for tri class--we were going to run outside, but 95+ degree weather sort of made that idea rather icky. Nothing major today, as its 100 degrees---ICK! I will be doing some Wii fit instead... Tomorrow will be an OWS followed by a bike ride at the lake park...still in 100 degrees, but at least the wet clothes from the swim will help on the bike!

Hope all is well (and PEACHY!!!)

Great work Kate!!  Are you using Wii Fit for strength training moves? I cannot impress it upon the group how important strength training 2 x week is! =)

I can't believe we're getting to the end of June already. Holy cow!

2011-06-23 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I'm SO tired! Holy moly!  The past month went waaaaay too crazy!

Please let me know if there's anything lacking in our little mentor group.  Right now, my tri club is gearing up for our first youth triathlon.  Last week we thought we only had 8 kids signed up and this week we have 37!!!  YAY!!  Now... any thoughts on how to create a transition area for kids sans bike racks?!! In GRASS?  I'm wracking my brain and Google to no avail. 

Hmm... 

2011-06-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3563507

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-23 7:47 AM

I'm SO tired! Holy moly!  The past month went waaaaay too crazy!

Please let me know if there's anything lacking in our little mentor group.  Right now, my tri club is gearing up for our first youth triathlon.  Last week we thought we only had 8 kids signed up and this week we have 37!!!  YAY!!  Now... any thoughts on how to create a transition area for kids sans bike racks?!! In GRASS?  I'm wracking my brain and Google to no avail. 

Hmm... 

How fun is that going to be?! Any way of using chalk or flour to mark squares for the bikes? I'm assuming most will have to lay down if they don't have kickstands. Tape might be hard to make stick to grass?

2011-06-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3559054

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-20 7:06 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-17 4:18 PM

Sara,

Hope you have a great ride!

Here's a question for your Monday return. My left shoulder is sore I was ok for my race last Sunday. Monday morning I got in my truck and drove to Arizona so I didn't have a lot of movement and I think that helped stiffen it up. Monday night my daughter and I went to a local gym to get a workout in. I swam 1000 yards to loosen up a bit. Tuesday morning I woke up with it stiff. I've taken the week off from swimming to let it rest and taken some anti-inflamatories. It feels a little better and I'll get back in the pool Monday. I did some research to some possible causes and I found that unilateral breathing is one. I usually do that. Also, bad form. That's probably me too. Any ideas or do you think this probably covers the cause? What do you think about taking the week off? I didn't want to make it worse and then be screwed for my HIM in July. 

I also read about some exercises to do to build strength. I haven't had upper body issues so I'm trying to nip this in the bud!

Johanne

Johanne, if you can't get the pain to go away with rest and anti-inflam meds then def get to the doctor (or, physical therapist if you can go without a referral!).  It's just easier to nip something in the bud right away then let the pain linger.  Where in your shoulder does it hurt?  Is it in the front right above your arm pit?  Is it in the back along the blade?  Typically, overuse injuries occur from bad form, so have someone peak at your technique from above water AND underwater.  I get tendonitis every once in a while and it just goes away on its own, but strength training does wonders for getting pain to go away-just make sure you get it checked out before trying ST.

I'd say the pain is more in the front above my arm pit. I swam Monday and Wednesday and stopped when I felt it get too tired (about an hour). I think it's on the mend. At least I'm hoping so I have my HIM in 3 weeks and I think if I take it easy on the swim now it should be good enough to get through the swim at the race. If by chance it's still bugging me afterwards, I'll get it checked out. 

2011-06-23 10:20 AM

Hi everyone-just getting caught up on the converstations-it's been really busy around the whittum household. My son had to have a mole removed and we where kinda of stressed about that-but the pathology came back negative. It looks like everyone is doing a great job with training. Sara-great job on the ride! I've just been concentrating on running and doing P90X-getting ready for warrior dash in July. I plan on getting more swims and rides in this weekend. I'm also hoping to find a tri club around here to help me stay motivated and to get some advice from the veterans.

Tracie

2011-06-23 5:13 PM

Extreme Veteran

Looks like everyone is doing great. I'm hoping to get a run or swim (maybe some pool running) in today as I've been off all week with headaches and lack of energy but feel fine now. I'll keep you posted how things go. I'm also thinking I may look up some of Sara's ST ideas on youtube to find out how to do them.

2011-06-23 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I think that chalk squares would work for the kids tri as well.

When I do the Wii Fit thing, I let it choose my workout tasks, I just give it the time and what I want to work (i.e. overindulgence, legs, arms, mind and body, etc...) usually it ends up giving me both strength and yoga exercises on the 'body part' tasks....

Tonight was a swim at the lake again, tons of people were there enjoying the hot, sunny day..especially all the boaters and jet-skiers! Swimming at the lake the last few times has definitely shown me how hard swimming through waves and choppy water can be! The last two sessions at the lake have been only the coach and I---so its like I've had private swim lessons! Tonight we worked on breathing in the choppy open water---I definitely need more work there. Coach says she is seeing major improvement, though I don't really feel it yet, I know she is right.

2011-06-24 1:05 AM
in reply to: #3565096

Extreme Veteran

Great work on the swimming Kate. I want to get a wii fit but I need to save my money first, lol

Did a 500m swim workout today - details are in my log - with 25m of pool running.

Breathing was slightly better than normal except during my "pull" set and the first 2x25 swim set

Down side is that I actually found the wall with my head during my first backstroke lap

I'm going to leave the land running til sunday or monday though.

2011-06-24 3:13 AM
in reply to: #3559271

Extreme Veteran
suzielea - 2011-06-21 1:36 AM
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-20 9:23 PM
nadaswimmer - 2011-06-19 10:39 AM

For drills...those should be "prescribed" based on your technique.  For most triathletes, though, I think "catch up" drill is really important.  When one hand enters the water it taps the hand that's out in front before you begin the next drill.  You can do this with one arm at a time (ALL FOLKS IN THE GROUP SHOULD INCORPORATE ONE ARM DRILLS INTO THEIR SWIMMING!!!) where your left arm stays straight out in front and you just pull with your right arm and you make sure to tap the left hand with each pull.

Sara - Can I do the these with 1 arm resting on the kickboard instead of using a pull buoy - that's what it describes in the beginner workouts here but I still don't have one, lol

2011-06-24 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
OK, who is racing this weekend!?? I have my first of the summer on Sunday. Its been a hit-or-miss spring for me, and really mostly 'miss' with running.  Feel good about my bike & swim, though.

Should be a fun time at the race. I've decided my strategy for it will be to go all out the entire race. I don't care if I barf on my shoes during the run, I'm just going to go out and try to kill it from the get go. I may blow up, I may do OK, but I'm all in for this. The reason is I'm feeling good about the swim part. Had been my biggest concern, but I'm far more positive about it now. The bike will be fun, and then we'll see how the run goes. Whatever happens, I'm looking to have fun. Full report on Monday!

MD
2011-06-24 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Second race of the season for me tomorrow.  Going to likely go the other extreme from Mike and take it easy / build as the race goes along -- I'm still a chicken on hurting myself with going too hard.
2011-06-24 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3566481

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

croixfan - 2011-06-24 7:22 PM Second race of the season for me tomorrow.  Going to likely go the other extreme from Mike and take it easy / build as the race goes along -- I'm still a chicken on hurting myself with going too hard.

Good luck tomorrow, Curt!!

And I reserve the right to change my mind about race approach after I'm done with the swim

2011-06-24 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Good luck to you both on your respective races. My second race will be on July 9th---so far away, but really quite soon if you think about it. I will be doing a sprint this time around, so it'll be a bit more distance, but much less climbing and COLD!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72