Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-07-12 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3593645

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
dangremond - 2011-07-12 7:18 PMWell, that was humbling.  I quietly joined the B group of the local group ride tonite.  I made it half way (about 50 minutes) before getting spit out the back.  Average speeds between stop signs/lights were from 22mph to 24mph.  Oh well, something else to work towards!
If you keep going to those rides in five or six more times you will not get dropped and you will be much stronger. Get ready for a big dose of pain though...

2011-07-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Dallas

Gabe,

Do you have access to any open water? if you do, is there a buoy line? I mean like a "no wake zone" for boats or such that you can follow for sighting? I'm seeing that you don't have any of those OWS in your log and would probably be useful to get a couple in before Iron Maya...

2011-07-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3594115

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-07-13 6:52 AM

Gabe,

Do you have access to any open water? if you do, is there a buoy line? I mean like a "no wake zone" for boats or such that you can follow for sighting? I'm seeing that you don't have any of those OWS in your log and would probably be useful to get a couple in before Iron Maya...

Ernesto, 

Good suggestion, I will try to get at least one OWS at lake Atitlan, which is lovely, surrounded by volcanoes and at 5,000 ft of altitude.  Only challenge are the roads to get there since we are in the middle of our rainy season and have had a number of landslides along the road to get there. 

Also, not to be left out, I went today morning for a run at a local track at the national stadium for some interval work and it was a very good experience.  I did 6 X 400mts with 400mts intervals at an average pace of 6:42, and really felt like pushed myself (had little left to do more sprints).  I will now try to do at least one track day a week!   

Mitch, great that you started doing the group rides, they will only get better as you do more of them!

Ernesto and Carol, we want to see pictures from your Disco event after its done! 

2011-07-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3594551

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-07-13 11:51 AM
ernestov - 2011-07-13 6:52 AM

Gabe,

Ernesto, 

Good suggestion, I will try to get at least one OWS at lake Atitlan, which is lovely, surrounded by volcanoes and at 5,000 ft of altitude.  Only challenge are the roads to get there since we are in the middle of our rainy season and have had a number of landslides along the road to get there. 

Also, not to be left out, I went today morning for a run at a local track at the national stadium for some interval work and it was a very good experience.  I did 6 X 400mts with 400mts intervals at an average pace of 6:42, and really felt like pushed myself (had little left to do more sprints).  I will now try to do at least one track day a week!   

Mitch, great that you started doing the group rides, they will only get better as you do more of them!

Ernesto and Carol, we want to see pictures from your Disco event after its done! 

Nice workout Gabe! next time procure starting a little slower and try to maintain the same pace. Now that you know your average is 6:42, shoot for 6:40 on the first one and subsequent ones, you might be able to squeeze two more laps on it. One thing though, the warm down was too long. Speed workout are to be kept short (the challenge is on the speed). Tomorrow you will probably feel very tired from this one...

About the open water swim, since you will swim without a wetsuit and without support, you should probably get someone to go along with a kayak, and I assume that the Lake will not have buoys for sighting so use a tall tree or something that stands out in the distance for a point of reference. Put your 305 under the swim cap and record the data (if you put it on your wrist it will look distorted). This way you will know how your sighting skills are.

This is what a good OWS should look like:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53428446

That's pretty much the same distance you will be covering in your race.

2011-07-13 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3594115

El Paso

Ernesto,

Im in my third week of base trainning, my knee feels stronger and the pain is less and less, Im doing several exercises that I found on youtube and they are helping.  

Question do I keep doing the same? 

run 2 to 3 miles

rides 10 mile, I've been slipping in a swim or two per week 

rest only Monday 

2011-07-13 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Ernesto,

I have a question regarding training for two different events with overlapping plans, 1/2 IM distance tri in exactly one month and the Chicago Marathon on Oct 9, and adapting the long runs from the marathon plan right now into my 1/2 IM plan.   

The marathon plan (Furman Institute's plan featured in Run Less Run Faster) says I should be doing a 20 mile long run this weekend, then 18 miles next week, then 20 miles the following....  Based on my triathlon plan, Trifuel 20wk (Intermediate level) I have done long runs on Sundays (Saturdays for long bike rides) with a 13 mile run two weeks ago and 14 miles this past Sunday.  

I'm worried about trying not to go short on the amount of miles/effort each plan calls for, since both are new distance events for me and I want to be well prepared both of them (while enjoying them to the max); at the same time not overdoing it for my 1/2 IM tri a month away.  I think I could run 18-20 miles this Sunday, after Saturday's long bike ride and see how it goes (last week after 14, which is the longest I've done, I felt good and could had gone for more, but had to take the wife and girls out for brunch Smile)

So your insights/anyone else, will be greatly appreciated!

2011-07-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3595550

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-07-13 9:09 PM

Ernesto,

I have a question regarding training for two different events with overlapping plans, 1/2 IM distance tri in exactly one month and the Chicago Marathon on Oct 9, and adapting the long runs from the marathon plan right now into my 1/2 IM plan.   

The marathon plan (Furman Institute's plan featured in Run Less Run Faster) says I should be doing a 20 mile long run this weekend, then 18 miles next week, then 20 miles the following....  Based on my triathlon plan, Trifuel 20wk (Intermediate level) I have done long runs on Sundays (Saturdays for long bike rides) with a 13 mile run two weeks ago and 14 miles this past Sunday.  

I'm worried about trying not to go short on the amount of miles/effort each plan calls for, since both are new distance events for me and I want to be well prepared both of them (while enjoying them to the max); at the same time not overdoing it for my 1/2 IM tri a month away.  I think I could run 18-20 miles this Sunday, after Saturday's long bike ride and see how it goes (last week after 14, which is the longest I've done, I felt good and could had gone for more, but had to take the wife and girls out for brunch Smile)

Wow! I'll tell you this much Gabe, that plan is outrageous! Putting a 20 miler ELEVEN WEEKS before a marathon is a recipe for self destruction!!! First of all, any runs lasting longer than two and a half hours are worthless when it comes to fitness gains. At the pace you would run it (let's say 9:30/mile optimistic) it would take you three hours ten to complete.

Secondly, the tissue breakdown from such a long run takes three to four weeks to fully recover, that would be disastrous for the half.

I do not see what the logic could be behind such an enormous number but every running school that I know will tell you the same, TOO LONG, TOO MUCH, TOO SOON.

When it is about building endurance, you have to use the bike (a five or six hours long ride is feasible and relatively easy to recover from). I know some people will say that it is not run specific, but that's why you have running FREQUENCY on your schedule and speed to tune up the engine.

Long runs are absolutely necessary for building the base for a marathon, but never that much this early in the program. I dare you to find one workout in my log leading up to my last Ironman that lasted more than 16.5mi, you will not find one because it is plain useless. You are only supposed to do those efforts on marathon day.

If you trust my advice (so far I don't think I've let you down) do a 15 at the most and start building back up three weeks after Iron Maya.

That's my two cents...

2011-07-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3595576

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-07-13 8:42 PM

Wow! I'll tell you this much Gabe, that plan is outrageous! Putting a 20 miler ELEVEN WEEKS before a marathon is a recipe for self destruction!!! First of all, any runs lasting longer than two and a half hours are worthless when it comes to fitness gains. At the pace you would run it (let's say 9:30/mile optimistic) it would take you three hours ten to complete.

Secondly, the tissue breakdown from such a long run takes three to four weeks to fully recover, that would be disastrous for the half.

I do not see what the logic could be behind such an enormous number but every running school that I know will tell you the same, TOO LONG, TOO MUCH, TOO SOON.

When it is about building endurance, you have to use the bike (a five or six hours long ride is feasible and relatively easy to recover from). I know some people will say that it is not run specific, but that's why you have running FREQUENCY on your schedule and speed to tune up the engine.

Long runs are absolutely necessary for building the base for a marathon, but never that much this early in the program. I dare you to find one workout in my log leading up to my last Ironman that lasted more than 16.5mi, you will not find one because it is plain useless. You are only supposed to do those efforts on marathon day.

If you trust my advice (so far I don't think I've let you down) do a 15 at the most and start building back up three weeks after Iron Maya.

That's my two cents...

Ernesto,

I'm so glad I asked and I totally trust your judgement (indeed, you have not let me down!) So I will focus on my 1/2 IM plan and then build up for Chicago after I recover from the IronMaya tri.  I was actually thinking that all the tri training has to give me a decent base to build upon, for the upcoming marathon (it's not like I'm starting from 0)

Thanks amigo! 

2011-07-13 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Injured and out

Guys looks my Oly training is going to be out for next few weeks.

I was on a local group ride last evening (organized by a LBS). 1hr ride on roads among moderate rolling hills. Ride kicked off and soon I got dropped to back of the pack on the hills but there were some folks around me. At some point, I was going slow (5-10mph) behind a bus on a winding single lane road.... riding on the hoods if I remember correctly. I brake to get slower but bike completely stops and I go down. Instant thought was... Darn! it is going to be a slow and embarrassing fall among other stranger riders but I'll be fine (or so I thought). 

Then I was woken my paramedics on side of the road. Face was stinging and they were cutting my jersey and strapping me in and asking name etc. I was very aware and gave correct responses. (even insisted to take the my orbea in ambulance). Listening to the paramed buzz it seems, that rather than slowing down, front wheel locked and I went over the handlebars. I don't know how much I flew in air before hitting the ground and lost consciousness immediately.  Fianlly came home this evening after spending 20hrs in hospital and overnight observation. 

Prognosis - Minor fracture in C1 (column 1 of vertebrae) in neck and plenty of road rash on ride side of the face. Limbs, teeth and cheekbones seem intact. But I look like infamous Two-Face (batman villain). Wearing a hard collar on the neck for next few weeks but thankfully no spinal infusion surgery required. 

1:00pm, XX Hospital

Me to surgeon: "Can I ride a bike with collar?"

Surgeon: "No. You can't turn your head to look on the side"

Me: "I'll be slow!"

Surgeon: "...*stares*..." 

PS - I would love to boast I was mashing downhill at 45mph after this crash as evidence but fact of matter.. I was probably 5mph and not passing the bus on a single lane. My wheel locked and I flew over the handlebars rather than falling sideways (due to small downhill road). I think there is some tactic for downhill crashing.... please guys be cognizant of it. Imagine what would happen if you brake hard going down 30mph. 

2011-07-14 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3595550

User image

Master

Ernesto,

Gabe:

I'm familiar with the FIRST running plan, bought and read the book and used it for a half a couple years ago.  It's an aggressive plan as you have discovered and I believe there is a lot of research, etc. behind their plans.  My experience using their plan for a half taught me that it is really directed at those with years of a solid base in running built up so that you can handle the distances and paces.  I did not and ended up overtraining.  

I think for the right individual it can be a valuable tool - they have documented success with their 3 days of running and 2 days of cross training concept - but you have to have the base to be able to handle the workload.  They do have a novice marathon plan on their website though.

I would look for a running plan that meshed more with the distances your are running in prepping for the 1/2 and then swap some of the easier shorter days into cycling rides.

-Mitch

Edited by dangremond 2011-07-14 6:34 AM
2011-07-14 6:39 AM

User image

Master

So - looks like I'm sidelined again.  Midway through my run this morning I started getting persistent pain in my right knee - the same one that was bothering me before.  I stopped running and walked home.  Will try to rest and ice for the next week and a half and see how it feels.  

That being said, my run this morning was looking like a break through run.  Running at my easy pace of around 9:30 and my HR was tracking about 5 beats lower than best run to date.  Sucks to have to sideline myself at the point when I was really beginning to see improvement in my running economy.

2011-07-14 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3595763

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-07-14 6:39 AM

So - looks like I'm sidelined again.  Midway through my run this morning I started getting persistent pain in my right knee - the same one that was bothering me before.  I stopped running and walked home.  Will try to rest and ice for the next week and a half and see how it feels.  

That being said, my run this morning was looking like a break through run.  Running at my easy pace of around 9:30 and my HR was tracking about 5 beats lower than best run to date.  Sucks to have to sideline myself at the point when I was really beginning to see improvement in my running economy.

Sorry to hear that Mitch, they say about riding that there's only two types of cyclists, those who have fell off the bike and those who are about to. One way or another you're eating asphalt sooner or later...

I guess you're a graduate now, watch the Tour, it doesn't look any different than you this year.

2011-07-14 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3595210

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-07-13 4:01 PM

Ernesto,

Im in my third week of base trainning, my knee feels stronger and the pain is less and less, Im doing several exercises that I found on youtube and they are helping.  

Question do I keep doing the same? 

run 2 to 3 miles

rides 10 mile, I've been slipping in a swim or two per week 

rest only Monday 

Alfredo,

Do you have links to your Garmin workout files? I'd like to look at that before.

2011-07-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3595741

User image

Expert
Guatemala
dangremond - 2011-07-14 5:01 AM

Gabe:

I'm familiar with the FIRST running plan, bought and read the book and used it for a half a couple years ago.  It's an aggressive plan as you have discovered and I believe there is a lot of research, etc. behind their plans.  My experience using their plan for a half taught me that it is really directed at those with years of a solid base in running built up so that you can handle the distances and paces.  I did not and ended up overtraining.  

I think for the right individual it can be a valuable tool - they have documented success with their 3 days of running and 2 days of cross training concept - but you have to have the base to be able to handle the workload.  They do have a novice marathon plan on their website though.

I would look for a running plan that meshed more with the distances your are running in prepping for the 1/2 and then swap some of the easier shorter days into cycling rides.

-Mitch

Mitch,

Totally agree that the First running plan is an aggressive plan for more experienced runners and really appreciate your sound advice.  I'm very glad that I was able to get both your input along with Ernesto's, just in time to avoid a potentially disastrous rookie mistake... 

Sorry to hear about your knee and hope that it is nothing serious, so that you can get back on the horse ASAP!

2011-07-14 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Group,

If there's anyone interested I have a pair of Zipp 808's Zedtech wheels that I'll be putting up for sale, I'm changing to a different set of wheels more versatile for climbing as opposed to the aerodinamic gains of the 808.

The wheels are the Zedtech series, which is the very best 100 pair of wheels for a whole year, trued and built by their Master wheelbuilder, hand machined hubs and ceramic bearings for low resistance. They're tubulars and have 160g Tufo Jet Elite tyres on them with low mileage (first ride in Puerto Rico in March). The wheels have only been used for racing and nothing else. Here's the list of races:

Ironman Arizona first ever use.

Ironman New Orleans 70.3

Disco Olympic Triathlon.

Ironman Austin 70.3

Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3

Ironman Texas

If you do the math is less than 700 miles, round and true perfect wheels. I paid $3,600 for them without tyres (another $220). Asking $1,500 firm.

Thanks!

2011-07-15 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3595638

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Injured and out
ironbaby - 2011-07-13 10:51 PM

I was on a local group ride last evening (organized by a LBS). 1hr ride on roads among moderate rolling hills. Ride kicked off and soon I got dropped to back of the pack on the hills but there were some folks around me. At some point, I was going slow (5-10mph) behind a bus on a winding single lane road.... riding on the hoods if I remember correctly. I brake to get slower but bike completely stops and I go down. Instant thought was... Darn! it is going to be a slow and embarrassing fall among other stranger riders but I'll be fine (or so I thought). 

Then I was woken my paramedics on side of the road. Face was stinging and they were cutting my jersey and strapping me in and asking name etc. I was very aware and gave correct responses. (even insisted to take the my orbea in ambulance). Listening to the paramed buzz it seems, that rather than slowing down, front wheel locked and I went over the handlebars. I don't know how much I flew in air before hitting the ground and lost consciousness immediately.  Fianlly came home this evening after spending 20hrs in hospital and overnight observation. 

Prognosis - Minor fracture in C1 (column 1 of vertebrae) in neck and plenty of road rash on ride side of the face. Limbs, teeth and cheekbones seem intact. But I look like infamous Two-Face (batman villain). Wearing a hard collar on the neck for next few weeks but thankfully no spinal infusion surgery required. 

PS - I would love to boast I was mashing downhill at 45mph after this crash as evidence but fact of matter.. I was probably 5mph and not passing the bus on a single lane. My wheel locked and I flew over the handlebars rather than falling sideways (due to small downhill road). I think there is some tactic for downhill crashing.... please guys be cognizant of it. Imagine what would happen if you brake hard going down 30mph. 

Wow. I just read this. I'm very glad your injuries seem to be manageable and not more serious. I have to admit I laughed out loud imagining the look on the surgeon's face after your "I'll be slow" comment. Take Care. Speedy recovery!

PS- I got my first taste of road rash this week.

2011-07-15 9:04 AM

User image

Houston, Texas

WOW!  Never fun to have to deal with an injury like you describe, but all things considered, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.  Keep up the positive outlook (loved the conversation with the doc, too)!

I know it's a secondary consideration, but any bike damage?

Here's to a speedy recovery!

-Mike

2011-07-15 9:05 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Ironbaby: Wow. That's sounds rough. Get better soon.

Update on my race this weekend: Not doing the 5 miler I was planning on for Sunday. The forecast for Sunday is a high of 97 and high humidity with a "RealFeel" of 110. Since the race is at 11 AM, no way. By the way, situations like this are why I am a big fan of signing up for races on race day if they allow it and you know you will still get it. The extra cost is well worth it for the option of not racing (and not paying). Instead, my town, Maple Grove, is having its "Maple Grove Days" this week and ends it all on Saturday (tomorrow) with a bunch of activities, one of them being an informal race around one of our lakes. It isn't chip timed and the distance is weird (3.71 miles) but a lot of people race it and some are very fast. And it's at 8 AM and the high tomorrow is expected to be only 90. So my wife and I will do this one instead. I plan to basically run it as 5k (more or less blast the whole time).
2011-07-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3597924

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-07-15 9:05 AM Ironbaby: Wow. That's sounds rough. Get better soon. Update on my race this weekend: Not doing the 5 miler I was planning on for Sunday. The forecast for Sunday is a high of 97 and high humidity with a "RealFeel" of 110. Since the race is at 11 AM, no way. By the way, situations like this are why I am a big fan of signing up for races on race day if they allow it and you know you will still get it. The extra cost is well worth it for the option of not racing (and not paying). Instead, my town, Maple Grove, is having its "Maple Grove Days" this week and ends it all on Saturday (tomorrow) with a bunch of activities, one of them being an informal race around one of our lakes. It isn't chip timed and the distance is weird (3.71 miles) but a lot of people race it and some are very fast. And it's at 8 AM and the high tomorrow is expected to be only 90. So my wife and I will do this one instead. I plan to basically run it as 5k (more or less blast the whole time).
C'mon Chris! don't tell me you can't go all out for 5 miles in 97 degrees and humid! just kidding. Don't kill yourself, your priority is your A race, you're being smart by not blowing up your training. Have fun at the 3.71! (?)
2011-07-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3597727

User image

Expert
Guatemala
baurryman - 2011-07-15 6:20 AM

Wow. I just read this. I'm very glad your injuries seem to be manageable and not more serious. I have to admit I laughed out loud imagining the look on the surgeon's face after your "I'll be slow" comment. Take Care. Speedy recovery!

PS- I got my first taste of road rash this week.

IronBaby, also glad that it wasn't any worse and that you are here sharing the story with us!  Also laughing at your comment about wanting to take your Orbea with you in the ambulance and can totally empathize now that I have a relatively new bike!

Bary, what happened to you on the bike?

Ernesto, thanks for the offer on the racing wheels, the sound very nice, but I doubt I could appreciate their benefits at this early stage in my training!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2011-07-15 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: Getting Settled!

Hello Everyone.  I'm still here....Sorta of!   We are finally in Colorado and it is beautiful!!  Our house has a view of the mountains.  We are living on the Academy so we do have to watch for natural wildlife...  Bears, Deeer, Mountain Lions and Coyotes!I've only seen deer so far!  

I've gone for 2 short runs and there is such a difference training here.  No matter what I have to run some portions up hill.  At 7000ft that is a lot to ask.  The inclines are not steep but they seem to go on and on.  I'm still running at only 30min stretches but my heart rate is in the 160's.  Between inclines and elevation, not to mention the sun!  I will post my workouts either today or by the end of the weekend.  We will not have internet service until Monday.  I won't even have my belonging until next Tuesday and the LA shipment will be here the following week.  I had to laugh because I packed mostly training gear and hardly anything else except for what I was wearing in Vegas....  Least I know where my heart is.  

I will follow up on the pages of posts then and I hope everyone is doing great.  Miss this forum!!!!

Jen

2011-07-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3598525

User image

Master

ernestov - 2011-07-15 1:46 PM
older2533 - 2011-07-15 9:05 AM Ironbaby: Wow. That's sounds rough. Get better soon. Update on my race this weekend: Not doing the 5 miler I was planning on for Sunday. The forecast for Sunday is a high of 97 and high humidity with a "RealFeel" of 110. Since the race is at 11 AM, no way. By the way, situations like this are why I am a big fan of signing up for races on race day if they allow it and you know you will still get it. The extra cost is well worth it for the option of not racing (and not paying). Instead, my town, Maple Grove, is having its "Maple Grove Days" this week and ends it all on Saturday (tomorrow) with a bunch of activities, one of them being an informal race around one of our lakes. It isn't chip timed and the distance is weird (3.71 miles) but a lot of people race it and some are very fast. And it's at 8 AM and the high tomorrow is expected to be only 90. So my wife and I will do this one instead. I plan to basically run it as 5k (more or less blast the whole time).
C'mon Chris! don't tell me you can't go all out for 5 miles in 97 degrees and humid! just kidding. Don't kill yourself, your priority is your A race, you're being smart by not blowing up your training. Have fun at the 3.71! (?)

Ernesto - C'mon, us northerners shudder at the thought of running in anything north of 90 degrees.  But, we'd gladly invite you up for a run in February at 5am in the blowing snow!

2011-07-15 4:12 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Speed work

Ernesto, can you re-post your recommendations for interval speed work?  I've searched and searched and can't find it in this forum.

Sorry to ask for a repeat & thanks!

-Mike

2011-07-15 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3598605

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Getting Settled!
jenputnam - 2011-07-15 2:17 PM

Hello Everyone.  I'm still here....Sorta of!   We are finally in Colorado and it is beautiful!!  Our house has a view of the mountains.  We are living on the Academy so we do have to watch for natural wildlife...  Bears, Deeer, Mountain Lions and Coyotes!I've only seen deer so far!  

I've gone for 2 short runs and there is such a difference training here.  No matter what I have to run some portions up hill.  At 7000ft that is a lot to ask.  The inclines are not steep but they seem to go on and on.  I'm still running at only 30min stretches but my heart rate is in the 160's.  Between inclines and elevation, not to mention the sun!  I will post my workouts either today or by the end of the weekend.  We will not have internet service until Monday.  I won't even have my belonging until next Tuesday and the LA shipment will be here the following week.  I had to laugh because I packed mostly training gear and hardly anything else except for what I was wearing in Vegas....  Least I know where my heart is.  

I will follow up on the pages of posts then and I hope everyone is doing great.  Miss this forum!!!!

Jen

Jen,

Find a track!

2011-07-16 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Aki,

Ouch!  Quick recovery and many blessings.  That sounds awful.  Your attitude sounds great though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84