BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-27 8:24 PM
in reply to: slornow

Hudson Valley Region
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by slornow

Here's a question for the group. We are almost halfway through the calendar year. How do you feel about your training and/or racing at the halfway point?

I'd put my season at a solid 3 so far. Lack of consistency and lack of progress. I hoping to rally.

2013-06-27 9:08 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by thirdstation

Originally posted by tatous

I need to get some input on training with specific goals in mind, but I have gone from an average training pace of 14 mph to almost 20 mph. That seems to translate into 18 mph pace during races.

How did you do that? How long did it take you?

I don't know about Dave but, I do it by switching to mostly downhill routes.

Now THAT is funny!!!

Now here's to you rallying for the rest of your tri season!.
2013-06-27 9:42 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

New user
I am racing Saturday, King of the Hill tri in MS.

Great question for the group Randy, I found it interesting reading the responses and the different things people grade themselves on and value.

I am thrilled with my season! Last summer I did a couch to 5k program to walk an August event and it took me over an hour to finish.

Since then I have lost 50+ lbs, completed one tri, one half marathon, am doing 50+ mile group rides, can swim 2k and can now jog a 5k!
I gotta go with a solid 9!!!!
Amazing what a difference a year makes! I have done more than I would have imagined for myself in a year and I really love this lifestyle!!

Earlier this week I even put together a calendar of an "early" look at next seasons events!

Life is awesome!!!

Mary
2013-06-27 11:15 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Expert

I would say I'm sitting around a 6. I'm not at the full volume I'd like but am doing the best I can within time constraints. I am most pleased with my gains on the bike as I just surpassed 20 mph for a 60+ mile ride. Swimming is doing well, though I don't ever see myself being a "fast" swimmer. My run volumes are where I have fallen short the most and I need to get myself out there and just get it done.

As far as tri enjoyment, I am at a 9 out of 10. I love training!! Gives me a sense of purpose, gets my mind off many of my daily challenges, and it energizes me.

Jim
2013-06-28 5:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Chunga I am racing Saturday, King of the Hill tri in MS. Great question for the group Randy, I found it interesting reading the responses and the different things people grade themselves on and value. I am thrilled with my season! Last summer I did a couch to 5k program to walk an August event and it took me over an hour to finish. Since then I have lost 50+ lbs, completed one tri, one half marathon, am doing 50+ mile group rides, can swim 2k and can now jog a 5k! I gotta go with a solid 9!!!! Amazing what a difference a year makes! I have done more than I would have imagined for myself in a year and I really love this lifestyle!! Earlier this week I even put together a calendar of an "early" look at next seasons events! Life is awesome!!! Mary

Mary-if that isn't a 10 then I don't know what is. Your steady approach to building distance and volume has paid huge dividends for you. It's been great watching your progress. Good luck this weekend. I suspect you will do well and know you will have fun doing it!

Racing this weekend it looks like we have Suzy and Mary. Anyone else?

2013-06-28 9:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Mary-if that isn't a 10 then I don't know what is. Your steady approach to building distance and volume has paid huge dividends for you. It's been great watching your progress. Good luck this weekend. I suspect you will do well and know you will have fun doing it!

Racing this weekend it looks like we have Suzy and Mary. Anyone else?

Agreed!! I keep telling you Mary should be the BT Mentor program poster child!

No races, just hopefully a nice long road ride with DH on Sunday and nursing my leg (and pride).

Have a good weekend all!

2013-06-28 3:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by thirdstation

I need to get some input on training with specific goals in mind, but I have gone from an average training pace of 14 mph to almost 20 mph. That seems to translate into 18 mph pace during races.

I don't know about Dave but, I do it by switching to mostly downhill routes.

Now THAT is funny!!!

Now here's to you rallying for the rest of your tri season!.

That's not funny, right now it sounds like perfectly sensible (and achievable) advice!
2013-06-28 4:03 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Since then I have lost 50+ lbs, completed one tri, one half marathon, am doing 50+ mile group rides, can swim 2k and can now jog a 5k!

This gives me a good idea....    Mary is down 50 pounds.  I am down 20 pounds this year, and 35 pounds since I started triathlon training.

So -- as a mentor group we're up to 85 pounds lost.   Anybody else want to add theirs in?  How high can we get?? 

I bet together we've lost at least a barbershop quartet...

Scott.

2013-06-28 5:42 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hoos

This gives me a good idea....    Mary is down 50 pounds.  I am down 20 pounds this year, and 35 pounds since I started triathlon training.

So -- as a mentor group we're up to 85 pounds lost.   Anybody else want to add theirs in?  How high can we get?? 

Scott.

excellent idea - we should compare with the other groups - adjusted for the number of people in each group!

I'm down about 10 from when I started - early 2012 I was down 10 and have kept it off.
2013-06-28 6:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott.

I'm down about 5 pounds since the first of the year. Not really trying just the result of training. I'm just glad we are not doing in in kilograms!

2013-06-28 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
I am down 14 lbs from the 1st of the year and 74 lbs since 2011. 

2013-06-29 12:33 AM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Calgary, AB
That makes 174 pounds -- that's already a light heavyweight boxer.  Or an English Mastiff.  Smile  Anybody else?
2013-06-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

I purchased my bike in the fall of 2012 but didn't really start riding it until late winter of this year. I have never had any specific goals while riding other than getting in the miles in as short of a period as my heart rate will allow. Amazingly, over time, my pace just started improving. Prior to the last total volume increase in my training schedule, my pace was just shy of 20 mph. During my average bike rides, I'm consistently 18-19 mph range. I've been told by my bike racing friends it'll take a few years to be in the solid 20+ mph zone ( - time in the saddle).

My goals for next year is to ride with more intention on technique and speed. I feel like I have a decent base now to build upon. I'll probally get some Sufferfest videos and plan on pain sessions throughout the fall and winter. I also need a tri coach for a whole hosts of needs.
2013-06-29 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

Scott.

I'm down 5 lbs since Jan '13 and over 25 since Jan 2012.
2013-06-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hello everyone-got in a good bike workout this morning early before it got to hot. Then a couple of hours of yard work. Now an easy afternoon then a Tour de France kickoff party sponsored by the LBS at our local microbrewery tonight. Should be fun but need to keep it an early night as I want to get up early to beat the heat tomorrow for my long run. 
2013-06-29 3:00 PM

User image

Are we counting weight loss just from tri training or in general?
Since I started tri training at the beginning of the year I actually put on around 7lbs
But from I started exercising, running etc in 2010 I'm down 66lbs

2013-06-29 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Scott.

I'm down about 5 pounds since the first of the year. Not really trying just the result of training. I'm just glad we are not doing in in kilograms!

No fair! I was actually going to mention weight, as I set myself a goal at the start of this year to be 70kg by 30th June. Today I weighed in at 68.4kg, so smashed that! I've lost about half of it in the last 4 weeks since I got really serious about my eating.

I'm down 9kg this year (that's around 20lb). In total I'm down 24kg (53lb) from my starting point.
2013-06-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I don't think I am down at all in weight. In fact I may be 5 lbs heavier than I was at IMAZ last November. I have to say that the weight loss stories are awesome.

I am back up in Nirthetn Michigan for a couple days, hence the Internet silence from me. I had a really powerful and fun bike ride today. I felt much better on the bike today than I did in my race last Sunday. I'm feeling refreshed from my mid season mini-break this last few days and ready to get back to training.

11 weeks to IM Tahoe so I think it is about to get pretty intense around here
2013-06-29 9:16 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by chapfallen I'm down 9kg this year (that's around 20lb). In total I'm down 24kg (53lb) from my starting point.

Way to go Rachel - fantastic that you smashed your goal for 30 June!   I'm trying to get down to 219 lb (99kg) by the end of the year -- I'm past halfway, which I guess is pretty good for mid-year...

You too Tay!    Man, what a life changer!    

By my count, that's 318 pounds lost across the group... a good size NFL offensive lineman!  Smile

2013-06-30 4:30 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Morning All!

My race was not what I hoped it would be.  I was 12' slower than year ago and all due to the bike.  My swim and run times were within 1-2" of year ago which is a little eerie.  As has been the case most of the Spring and Summer, the skies opened up, the wind started howling and sheets of rain started coming down before the Olympic waves even started to go off.  I had to wait for nearly an hour in my wetsuit standing on the beach freezing in 60F temps.  Swim went about the way it always does, but I took the bike much more cautiously.  It's a very hilly, technical course and I didn't use the descents to my advantage for the fear of falling.  The run is my strength and it went pretty well.  I could have given it a little more gas so I need to keep that in mind for next time.  Fourth in my new AG (50+ are tough fast old birds!) whereas I was first last year.  Such is life.  I need to shake it off and keep going.

I am down 3lbs from when I started with this group and this is about where I should stay for IM.

Off for another 4 hour ride.  Make it a good Sunday!

2013-06-30 5:51 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Suzy-hard to compare times in conditions like that to anything else. Yod did the right thing to be cautious on the bike. The race yesterday is just part of the process. Not worth taking risks that could potentially injure you and mess up the rest of the season.

I'm headed out for my long run which will include 8 X 1/2 mile intervals at olympic run pace. Its already hot but not as bad as it will be later. May try to get in a recovery swim later. Behaved myself at the TDF party last night and kept the celebrating to a couple of beers. Will check in later.

Happy training!

2013-06-30 6:47 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm enjoying a much needed true day off today.

Did anyone see the finish of the first leg of the Tour de France yesterday? I would have hated to be the driver of the bus! Several guys sporting some nasty road rash today. The speed they travel is simply amazing.
2013-06-30 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I got a 3 hour bike ride planned at noon today followed by a 45 minute swim. That will be the last of my training for this month. 

My running volume is up compared to last month and my swim and bike are going to be around the same. I bought myself some new shoes on Saturday and took them for a 6 mile run yesterday in 100 degree heat. I ended up with a blister on my right toe and a cut on my left heel. Looks like I gotta stretch out those shoes a little ... :-)

What is everyone else up to today?

2013-06-30 11:17 AM

User image

New user
Hello all.

I had a great time at my race yesterday! There were about 120 racers, great energy and nice course. It is fun to bike in new places.

My run times were faster than before, 12plus minute miles which is slow but not for me. I was sort of surprised b/c I was tired by then.

The bike route was very hilly, 20 miles. I felt really prepared for the hills due to my group ride training and it went good for me. Al,most 16mph which I will take! I heard lots of comments about how hard the bike was so I was pleased with how it went.

The swim, oh the swim...... This was my first open water swim, no practice. It wasn't a panic thing at all, I was fine being in the water. It just 'felt' all wrong. Technique was awful, I wasn't even keeping my fingers together. The sighting part was strange, I kept swimming off course. There was contact off and on throughout but I was passed by so many people it was mostly incidental stuff. Disappointing swim but lots of area for improvement!

I got a flat and couldn't find the right tube late last night so missed my group ride today. Gym for me later! I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

Mary
2013-06-30 11:18 AM

User image

I done a 30 mile bike ride but suffered most of the way Just glad I done it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88