BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-06-03 12:19 AM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
this weekend is the world triathlon championships here in Vancouver.  Can't wait to go watch this weekend.  Tonight I got to swim with Age Groupers from here from New Zealand as they tested out the waters with the local open water swim association. they were really nice women and they loved my wetsuit.  One of them called it stylish and asked where I got it ... a wetsuit, stylish.. HAH!  and I know they are tapering, but it was awesome to  be able to keep pace with them.

2008-06-03 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Pam - you are going to rock your HIM!  As they say, race like you train, nothing new on race day.  I wish you sub 90 degree weather, but if it is that hot, just listen to your body.  Good luck and I can't wait to read the RR.

Jeni - very cool on the swimming, that would be so awesome.  Have fun this weekend.

2008-06-04 1:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

well vancouver decided we don't really deserve summer.  Rain and gloom all day today.  so I put in my second hard core trainer workout.  Man did it kick my rear!! Bu I stayed on for almost 2 hours and got it done!  Props to brit and you guys who stuck it out on the trainer all winter!!!

My attempt to shed the pounds still sucks.  to many tempting treats and I think i ate a quarter of a jar of peanut butter today.. oops!  but I am at that stage where not loosing the weight makes me depressed so I get a who cares attitude for the moment and reach for another treat.   

The iron supplements have started to kick in. most notable difference is waking up in the morning and actually feeling rested instead of feeling hung over even though I've had nothing alcoholic to drink.  But I still tend to get headaches at the end of workouts so it is still low. It has also made my stomach more sensitive to eating after workouts and certain foods so I am still learning how to deal with it.

2008-06-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1443618

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

You can have some of our summer...my gosh it is baking here.  I have a pretty good relationship with the trainer and am glad I have it--I can't do treadmills, but I think since I control resistance and speed, etc. at my pace based on what gear I am in, then it is actually me doing it and not some machine.  Treadmills kill me.

I hear you on those few pounds that would be great to be gone....I have got to stop some of my snaking, be it healthy food or not, too much is too much.  That week for the wedding I totally let myself go in comparison to normal, but I'm coming back okay from that.  I don't know, it's a crazy roller coaster.

Hope everyone has a great weekend--but big cheers for Pam especially as she heads to Mooseman!!

Edited by TexasMPGal 2008-06-07 8:34 AM
2008-06-07 9:57 AM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
go pam go! can't wait to read the RR
you're going to rock it!
2008-06-09 6:40 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Congrats on your great race this weekend Pam!

sorry Ive been offline for a couple of weeks but Im back now....

2008-06-13 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
We finally made it home from the Great HOT North. My race went much better than I expected with all my IT bands issues during training. I had a great swim, strong bike, and, uh, I finished the race. Can't really say I put forth a whole lot of effort on the run, but that was my choice. They don't break down the overall results by men and women so FWIW, I came in 308/723 men and women. I was 15th out of 56 in my age group (all females). I was 6th in AG in the swim, 2nd in AG on the bike and 34th in AG on the run. My time was 5:53:30. I am very pleased that I was able to do the race in under 6 hours. The conditions were pretty brutal. It was 95 degrees, sunny and humid. The heat index was reported to be at 105 degrees. I am very pleased to say I did NOT need the medical tent and was able to walk and enjoy the rest of our family vacation. Race report is up if anyone is interested in details. Warning, it is a long race report Hope everyone is having a great start to their weekend on this Friday the 13th!
2008-06-13 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

GREAT JOB PAM!!!!!
way to conquer the heat!!

We've started to say its Junuary here in Vancouver because it has been SOOO cold! Global climate craziness sucks!

BTW training with power is awesome!  I am already seeing improvements, mainly in my hill riding. and it's fun to look over the graph and see what you did every second of your ride. But it can also psych you out a bit and I notice I hold back based on the watts instead of just going for it when I feel good.

I'm still having running issues. We are trying to figure out the cause of the problem but we're mainly treating the symptoms.  There is some massive, hip/femoral misalignment that is causing the wrong muscles to engage and stabalize when I walk and especially run. Part of it is that i keep riding because I don't feel it on the bike, but my phsyio thinks the bike aggrivates it.  I will be out of town when I thought about doing my first olympic so that has been pushed off til september but right now I can't even run 10 minutes.

And i was accepted to the PhD program so now I have to decide if I want to do it.  I've been offered a job in our residency kitchen to help pay for room and board since the program only has funding to cover my tuition.  So it means a lot of really long days. But the other option is entering the 9-5 world and nonprofit fund raising.

2008-06-13 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1465894

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
KrazyLegs - 2008-06-13 5:22 PM

GREAT JOB PAM!!!!!
way to conquer the heat!!

We've started to say its Junuary here in Vancouver because it has been SOOO cold! Global climate craziness sucks!

BTW training with power is awesome!  I am already seeing improvements, mainly in my hill riding. and it's fun to look over the graph and see what you did every second of your ride. But it can also psych you out a bit and I notice I hold back based on the watts instead of just going for it when I feel good.

I'm still having running issues. We are trying to figure out the cause of the problem but we're mainly treating the symptoms.  There is some massive, hip/femoral misalignment that is causing the wrong muscles to engage and stabalize when I walk and especially run. Part of it is that i keep riding because I don't feel it on the bike, but my phsyio thinks the bike aggrivates it.  I will be out of town when I thought about doing my first olympic so that has been pushed off til september but right now I can't even run 10 minutes.

And i was accepted to the PhD program so now I have to decide if I want to do it.  I've been offered a job in our residency kitchen to help pay for room and board since the program only has funding to cover my tuition.  So it means a lot of really long days. But the other option is entering the 9-5 world and nonprofit fund raising.

Wow. Big decision. If I could have afforded it, I would have stayed in school as long as possible. Just think. We could call you Dr. Krazylegs

2008-06-14 6:24 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Jeni- Wow, congrats on getting accepted into the doctorate program.  That is incredible...though I can tell you have some big decisions looming.  Awesome training too---very glad that the power training is working for you--you are one heck of a biker! 

Pam- Congrats again on a great HIM race and for the race tips in my blog.  Holding back some for the bike is probably smart so I can survive the hot run.  I am starting my two weeks of hydration now--(j/k).

2008-06-19 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Okay crew, how is everyone doing these days?  It's the middle of summer (okay, technically summer starts on Saturday--but it's been summer here since beginning of May), the heat is on for most of us (Jeni is an exception I think), we've done some racing, but still have 1/2 the year ahead of us. 

Jeni- any more thoughts on the doctorate?
Cat- has a big presentation here soon (tomorrow) so BEST WISHES, like you said, you will rock it!

I have somewhat started a taper--following the plan--for my HIM on the 29th. I can't believe it's so close.  I am excited about it, know I will finish, but do feel under-prepared, and of all things, I feel under-prepared on the run.  I feel like I may have focused more on the bike since it was something I needed improvement on--and definitely improved, but neglected too much running.  The distance I can do, but off that bike and in the Lubbock heat...I won't lie, I'm a little nervous/apprehensive of how that will pan out.  I blogged the fact that a couple of girls that I train with some here are also racing, and so is a lady I'm considering using for my coach for the '09 season, that I know some competition will play in--good competition though. So, we'll see. I have a couple of decent runs and a decent bike this weekend left, and then it's like TWO off days in a row (holy cow!) and some short taper stuff. I will leave on Thursday, 27 June, to drive to Lubbock.  I wanted to have all of Saturday to get my packet, check out the course, get in a short s/b/r's to warm up, etc.  It is supposed to be upper 90's or so that day...so if you want to pray for a freak cool front to blow through Lubbock, I'd be perfectly happy with that!

2008-06-19 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You'll do great brit.  You've got all those running miles in your legs.  They will hold up on you.

good luck on the presentation.

I'm going to do my PhD. I would rather go for it and decide later that it was a mistake then have the "what if" questions. And no, summer hasn't found Vancouver.  I think we have had 3 maybe 4 "warm" days since April.  

Lyssa-- did you get the new bike? how's it goin? 

2008-06-22 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Britt - Just one week to go! Hang in there and dont worry about your training now... your bike fitness will translate to your running to a certain extent and with your run backround I would not be worried at all....

Right now just think positively, get through the last few sessions and turn up to the race next weekend happy, healthy and ready to go! 

2008-06-23 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I'm good--I think it looks like my pattern is: two weeks out, stress about whether I've trained enough (cause that's the time frame where more training won't help the race), then the week of I'm just excited and ready to tackle it.  Granted, tomorrow may be different depending upon what the taper fairy does to me!   Seriously though, I'm absolutely pumped up, and after watching lots of IMCdA online last night, I'm even more pumped about this year and next years training!
2008-06-23 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
You're gonna rock it, Brit Just remember, not too hard on the bike since this is your warm up HIM. Save the full throttle stuff for your A race.

Congrats on deciding on doing the PhD. It always seems like life gets in the way when we put things off for later. Which is why........

I registered for IMCDA today. Hopefully this time next year, I will be an Ironman!!!

2008-06-23 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

WOOWHOO!!! way to register.  Crazypop a BTer from british columbia that i have ridden with just completed it! I can't wait to hear all about his adventures. 

Brit's gonna rock it!  Another friend of mine did his first half ironman without EVER having ridden his bike 90km before.  He's a runner who worked on his swim all winter and neglected the bike.  I called him an idiot but he rocked a sub 5.5 hour half iron.  So brit is gonna kill it!

As for me, I went on craigslist last night looking for a 200 dollar bike to ride in winter or as a commuter since I can't ride my bike around town anymore... it's to much of a target with the new wheels and powertap.  So instead of finding a commuter.... I found a sweet deal on a TT bike. Our bike community in vancouver is pretty small so a friend of a friend is selling it, but it may be slightly to big. So we made a deal that I could give him the cash and take it to the LBS tomorrow to see if we can swap the stem and seatpost to get it to fit.  And if not I can return it to him before tomorrow night.  Cross your fingers....

2008-06-23 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1484838

User image

Champion
Sydney
KrazyLegs - 2008-06-24 10:53 AM

WOOWHOO!!! way to register.  Crazypop a BTer from british columbia that i have ridden with just completed it! I can't wait to hear all about his adventures. 

Brit's gonna rock it!  Another friend of mine did his first half ironman without EVER having ridden his bike 90km before.  He's a runner who worked on his swim all winter and neglected the bike.  I called him an idiot but he rocked a sub 5.5 hour half iron.  So brit is gonna kill it!

As for me, I went on craigslist last night looking for a 200 dollar bike to ride in winter or as a commuter since I can't ride my bike around town anymore... it's to much of a target with the new wheels and powertap.  So instead of finding a commuter.... I found a sweet deal on a TT bike. Our bike community in vancouver is pretty small so a friend of a friend is selling it, but it may be slightly to big. So we made a deal that I could give him the cash and take it to the LBS tomorrow to see if we can swap the stem and seatpost to get it to fit.  And if not I can return it to him before tomorrow night.  Cross your fingers....

Great deal - at least if it doesnt fit you know there are great options out there you just have to keep an eye out!

2008-06-23 8:52 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Happy happy excitment everywhere!  I do have to say--I have really enjoyed getting to know y'all this year--it may all be over the electrons--but if I had a chance to cheer y'all on at a race, I'd be there.  I had a blast watch CdA and cheering for folks I didn't know and others that I've followed their training through the year.  Pam- way to take the plunge!! Seriously- my best friend, her husband, and another friend signed up today as well and I do plan on going as their "iron sherpa" for the weekend...I'll be their alpaca--but what another great way to meet BT'ers and you can be sure I'll be cheering you on out there so this time next year I can say I SAW you become an Ironman.

The encouragement y'all have sent is awesome, I'm feeling more confident everyday right now and just trying to watch nutrition, hydration, and mentally prep myself.  Today was a full day off (if you don't count mowing my massive, yet not all that green, lawn), and tomorrow I'm just going to do a short, slow run.  I'm playing well with the taper thus far.

Jeni- oooohhhh, maybe new bike...sweet, I really hope it works out for you, and of course we expect pictures if it all works out! 

2008-06-25 12:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
check out my blog   I may need some suggestions for names.
2008-06-25 12:51 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Woo hoo TT bike!!! And its a looker too
2008-06-25 7:25 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Jeni, that rocks!! CONGRATS!! You are going to be even faster now...sweet!!

2008-06-25 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Nooiiice bike, Jeni!!! I love my TT bike so much that I'm selling my roadie. Of course, I am hoping to get a new roadie later for a replacement

2008-06-25 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

HAHA! I am definitely keeping the roadie as he gets me up and zooms me down the mountain I am amazed at the the different temperaments of the two machines. Now I see why people name their bikes And to justify the new purchase I am going to enter a 40km TT in August and see what the new bike and I can put down.

I missed the local crit last night to watch a documentary called The Long Road North about a guy who road a bike from the southern most point of South America to the northern most point you can reach by road in Canada. AMAZING! keep an eye out for it, the landscapes they rode through were stunning.

And I apparently picked the right night to skip the race. There was a really bad crash in the race I would have been riding in that sent someone to the hospital in an ambulance. So now I am nervous to race again as I heard a girl's face connected with the pavement at high speeds.

Edited by KrazyLegs 2008-06-25 5:47 PM
2008-06-25 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1490401

User image

Champion
Sydney
KrazyLegs - 2008-06-26 8:45 AM

HAHA! I am definitely keeping the roadie as he gets me up and zooms me down the mountain I am amazed at the the different temperaments of the two machines. Now I see why people name their bikes And to justify the new purchase I am going to enter a 40km TT in August and see what the new bike and I can put down.

I missed the local crit last night to watch a documentary called The Long Road North about a guy who road a bike from the southern most point of South America to the northern most point you can reach by road in Canada. AMAZING! keep an eye out for it, the landscapes they rode through were stunning.

And I apparently picked the right night to skip the race. There was a really bad crash in the race I would have been riding in that sent someone to the hospital in an ambulance. So now I am nervous to race again as I heard a girl's face connected with the pavement at high speeds.

Glad you are loving both of your bikes! I cant wait to see what amazing time you throw down i nAugust!

That documentary sounds really great - must see if I can get a copy of it (maybe it will be available for download somewhere) I love that kind of thing!!!!

I hope the crash doesnt put you off racing.. its unfortunate but if you are going to ride a bike chances are sooner or later you might come off it but as long as you always wear your helmet, keep your bike in good condition and be aware when riding you are doing everything you can to avoid any serious incidents!

2008-06-25 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I think everyone here already knows but Im doing the TDF bike challenge in the challenge forum for a second year if you are up for something next month.

Link to the details and sign up are in my sig line...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44