BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1265971

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

(bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike.jpg (90KB - 9 downloads)

2008-03-11 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1108061

Albuquerque, NM
Hey y'all. I've been busy and out of touch. That nutrition discussion a few days back helped me a lot. One of my goals when I started training was to lose 5 lbs. Instead, I've gained 4.5! I was hungry all the time. Now I am eating about 5 times a day and making sure I don't get to low on carbs, and then binge to save my life. Its been going better. Hopefully I am on track now.

Otherwise, I am doing well... chugging along towards my goals. I bought a Nathan fuel belt with 4 10 oz bottles on it and started my longer runs. Finished my first 10K training run and it was great to be able to drink some gatorade over the six miles...as it was before lunch. Kept me from bonking. I was wearing shorts and a tank top...spring has arrived in New Mexico. This is the tease before the winds and tumbleweeds start blowing.

I am enjoying following along and eavesdropping on your lives. Cheers to all!

Julia
2008-03-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1266124

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Ohhh Lynn...Pretty! And it looks fast.

2008-03-11 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1266124

User image

Denver,CO
Awesome Bike!

And what did you name your bike?
2008-03-12 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1266472

User image

Master
Vista, CA
shanaspree - 2008-03-11 8:16 PM

Awesome Bike!

And what did you name your bike?

I was thinking fast-her -- you know as in faster...? Whatcha' think?
2008-03-12 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, but I've been swamped with work.

Thanks to all ya'll who've posted Inspires.  I appreciate it.

Nothing exciting going on with me.  Until I get my Y membership (hopefully by the end of this month), I have been upping my running and practicing some new techniques regarding form which will hopefully help in speed and injury prevention.  So far so good, but only time will tell.

Keep up the great work, everybody!

- Lora

2008-03-13 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Love the bike!

I just realized my first sprint tri is not very far away (April 20)... yikes. My hip has been bothering me and I can't figure out what is going on. I am going to hit the pool heavy this weekend.

I signed up to be a tape holder for the IronmanAZ in mid April... I asked to be scheduled the last 2 hours of the race...I can't wait to be there for the back of the pack. Of course ironman back of the pack is impressive.

One last note... I started cleaning up my eating...even if it means a tad of white knuckling it at night.

Thanks for being here!!!!
Elizabeth
2008-03-13 1:22 PM

User image

I think I have found my new bike.  Finally.  I am getting a steal on this bad boy girl...  Gotta start thinking of names for her...

Without the Zipps

2008-03-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1270117

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Now that's a tri bike. Wow.
2008-03-13 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Ok, my pity party is over. I've been keeping up with everyone's post, but I've been complaining about my current situation and have been finding every reason to skip workouts. We are in the process of trying to sell our house and move because of my husband's job transfer. It's a great move...FLORIDA! and a great job, but this in between phase of him living there most of the time and me her with the pup, working and trying to keep the house nice everyday for potential buyers was really getting me down. Anyways...I realize my first tri is in just a little under two months and I need to get back into to training. Not just to get ready for the tri, but for my sanity. I realized that when I don't get in some kind of good workout I am so crabby. So, anyways I'm back! Sorry for being lazy and feeling sorry for myself! Keep up the good work everyone.

Lynn and Robyn, nice bikes!

Elizabeth, that will be so cool to help out with the ironman! What an inspiration and motivation that will be.

Alan or anyone else who swims using the TI way. Are you supposed to continue swimming with overswitches, where you pull your arm beside you and let it barely come out of the water and then cut back into the water without pulling with your hands? It feels good for me and I can swim that way without getting tired, but I'm not moving quickly and I look nothing like all the other swimmers doing laps bringing their arm way out of the water and pulling with their hands. I don't mind being slow I just don't want to be last out of the water because I'm doing a strange stroke. Getting nervous now that the race is getting closer...what is a good time to be doing say 100yrds or 400yrds? I feel pretty slow.

Wow, long post, had to make up for the two weeks I was MIA
2008-03-13 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Gator... hang in there. I can see where all the change can paralyze you into not wanting to do much. Perhaps you can turn your thinking around and visualize the outcome of you and your husband making this choice. Sometimes life unfolds a bit differently than we planned ...but it still unfolds. Remind yourself that it is temporary.

Robyn... that is one H_LL of a bike! I can't even imagine riding something like that... congrats!

Now for some good (and scary) news... I got a spot for the Nike women's marthon in SF in October. I plan to do the half... I am so excited because I really wanted to do this race for a number of reasons!

Let me say this out loud... I am hungry...but that damn kitchen is closed... sigh.

Elizabeth

2008-03-13 10:29 PM

Veteran
Robyn...what a pretty bike!!! *drool*

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I can sort of breathe today. I'm officially kicking the flu, though i have a lot of chest congestion. I'm going to work back into things over the weekend and start up next week!

Edited by coldheat 2008-03-14 4:36 PM
2008-03-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1270851

User image

gator416 - 2008-03-13 6:03 PM Ok, my pity party is over. I've been keeping up with everyone's post, but I've been complaining about my current situation and have been finding every reason to skip workouts. We are in the process of trying to sell our house and move because of my husband's job transfer. It's a great move...FLORIDA! and a great job, but this in between phase of him living there most of the time and me her with the pup, working and trying to keep the house nice everyday for potential buyers was really getting me down. Anyways...I realize my first tri is in just a little under two months and I need to get back into to training. Not just to get ready for the tri, but for my sanity. I realized that when I don't get in some kind of good workout I am so crabby. So, anyways I'm back! Sorry for being lazy and feeling sorry for myself! Keep up the good work everyone. Lynn and Robyn, nice bikes! Elizabeth, that will be so cool to help out with the ironman! What an inspiration and motivation that will be. Alan or anyone else who swims using the TI way. Are you supposed to continue swimming with overswitches, where you pull your arm beside you and let it barely come out of the water and then cut back into the water without pulling with your hands? It feels good for me and I can swim that way without getting tired, but I'm not moving quickly and I look nothing like all the other swimmers doing laps bringing their arm way out of the water and pulling with their hands. I don't mind being slow I just don't want to be last out of the water because I'm doing a strange stroke. Getting nervous now that the race is getting closer...what is a good time to be doing say 100yrds or 400yrds? I feel pretty slow. Wow, long post, had to make up for the two weeks I was MIA

If I could stand on a mountain and scream this, I would.... PULL WITH YOUR HANDS!!!  That is the MAIN thing that pulls your forward when you swim.  Don't believe me?  Close your hand (make a fist) and try to swim.  You will get tired, because you are not used to using those muscles.  Do what you can the first day, and the second day it will be tons easier.  Just keep getting in the pool.

2008-03-14 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I can see you're passinate about using the hands to swim :-) But the total immersion way actually teaches you to swim without them (as far as i've gotten at least). They even say to use fist gloves to practice not using the hands, but using the core muscles instead. I assume you completely disagree, right? Does anyone agree with the total immersion way from experience or is it just bs? Just curious, I want to be able to get through the swimming without using to much energy so I still have some left for the rest. Not looking to beat any records yet :-P
2008-03-15 2:50 AM

Veteran
i agree with Robyn! Swim with your hands and use your lats, not your shoulders! my masters coach couldnt stress this enough either!
2008-03-15 8:49 AM

User image

Eastern PA
I did it! I am officially registered for my first tri! Got the Nerve? Triathlon on May 24th in Mt. Gretna PA. Sprint length.

I am also going to do a 5K race also in April as a warm-up.

I am afraid that I don't actually got the nerve!!!!

A big Thank You to my husband for twisting my arm this morning until I did it.

Peace,
Leticia

2008-03-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1273426

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

teash - 2008-03-15 8:49 AM I did it! I am officially registered for my first tri! Got the Nerve? Triathlon on May 24th in Mt. Gretna PA. Sprint length. I am also going to do a 5K race also in April as a warm-up. I am afraid that I don't actually got the nerve!!!! A big Thank You to my husband for twisting my arm this morning until I did it. Peace, Leticia

Wow! Look at all of you guys signed up for stuff. I get busy for a few days and it gets crazy around here.

OMG Robyn....that is a sweet bike. Makes ones heart beat a little faster just looking at the picture.

Two weeks from this morning and I will be in the H20 in Galveston. Yeee Haaawww!

Took off my regular day Wednesday and then had a minor kid disaster Thursday. My son pulled/strained/ or tore his hip flexor in track.  He's out of commission for a while, certainly until I hear for the doc on the x rays. Let's hope he didn't tear it. Apparently it tears a bit of bone away too. I think he's going to have a long rehab.

I had a great swim yesterday. Having two days of rest really makes me feel awesome. I swam 2200+ meters and did my last two 100's in 2.0 and 2.09. Wow...Faster and faster. The further I reach, the more I rotate, the more I rotate, the higher and more relaxed I am in the water.  It's good.

Off for my 2.5 hour bike ride!

2008-03-15 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Thanks for the swim info robyn and sarah!
2008-03-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1273489

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Hi ladies, I am so glad to see evryone is getting a grip on the proble,s that are holding them back. Those are some sweet bikes up there^!!!! I went to the doc, and it is official I have pulled a groin muscle, in a bad, bad way. I went to a D.O. who practices sports med. His 2 prong aproach of mannual manipulation + meds has worked well, so far, but the healing time is seriously hurting my training, I am now looking into postponing my first tri frm 4/19 until 5/31.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-03-15 11:00 AM
2008-03-15 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1273511

User image

Master
Vista, CA
We've got lots going on here. Way to go Leticia -- You can do this!
Rueben -- I'm so sorry about your injury. Glad you got it looked at though. Stay on the boards so we can keep track of your healing. And, Les. Awesome swim. I just love swimming. I had a good swim yesterday too. I got to swim in the deeper lanes -- 9 ft. and I swear those lanes have faster water.

Had a good hill run today. I backed off the 10 milers and went with 7 and some change and I definitely think it's better for my ITB -- I had a little ITBand thing going on, which was painful and scary because I thought I'd hurt my knee.

Don't want to write a novel here, but anyone else know about the foam rollers? I've been using it for a few weeks to roll out my lactic acid and soften the ITband and the other leg muscles mostly. It's really done wonders. I highly recommend one. If I find a website with a photo I'll post the link.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
~Lynn

http://www.smiweb.org/massage/downloads/roller.pdf
FYI --

Edited by lmscozz 2008-03-15 12:37 PM
2008-03-15 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Lynn... I am so glad that you reminded me about the foam rollers. I really need one... I think it woudl help my hip. Did you buy it on line? Does anyone carry them locally?

I rode 12 miles today and it was wonderful. At the end I thought... goodness, I would have a 3.2 mile run after that ride and a swim before, yikes. Hoping to find the energy by April 20th.

Elizabeth

2008-03-15 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Lynn and Robyn-love the bikes!!!!!! You guys will totally smoke everyone.

I had a great pool week. I went to do some laps on Wednesday and observe the masters class. The instructor invited me in and worked with me. What a difference some of the drills he taught me had on my stroke. He is great! I got so lucky! I will be taking his class every Wednesday. It totally kicked my butt though. I had already done a half hour and then tacked on the hour class. I have NEVER swam for 90 minutes before. I still feel drained.

I am doing an indoor tri in two weeks and 14 weeks until my first sprint tri. I think I need to visit this forum more so that I can be more accountable to a training plan. Does anyone have a really good 13 week plan that they use? I know there are a couple on the BTA website but is one better than another or are they all about the same?

Wishing everyone a good workout weekend!!! jo

Edited by jogo 2008-03-15 7:45 PM
2008-03-15 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1274016

User image

Master
Vista, CA
azelizabeth - 2008-03-15 5:43 PM

Lynn... I am so glad that you reminded me about the foam rollers. I really need one... I think it woudl help my hip. Did you buy it on line? Does anyone carry them locally?

I rode 12 miles today and it was wonderful. At the end I thought... goodness, I would have a 3.2 mile run after that ride and a swim before, yikes. Hoping to find the energy by April 20th.

Elizabeth

I got my foam roller through my chiropractor and she was able to get a better price since she buys in bulk. My neighbor got hers from a chiro, too. You may start there and/or check a local running store and then of course, on line. Good job on the bike. I know, both our tri's are on April 20th. We definitely have to compare notes afterward. Still no word on the So. Cal. Danskin.

Hey Jo-- I kind of follow a couple of plans combined -- the 12 week oly with 2x focused and the sprint one with 2x focused. I just picked them up in the week I was in counting backward from my first tri, which will be a sprint. Don't know if that helps. ?
Lynn
2008-03-15 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
What do you think, should I look into getting a road bike? I have a new mountain bike I got last year (picture in my album) and it's great for riding on trails and such, but I'm not sure if it will cut it doing a triathlon. Is it really that big of a difference or do you think everyone will have all sorts of bikes since it's just a sprint tri?

2008-03-15 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
From my little experience....ABSOLUTELY. When I bought mine I had ridden about 6 miles the day before on a cheap hybrid.  The next day I went about 18 on the road bike with about the same degree of difficulty.  Unreal how efficient they are.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52