BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-07 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3434269

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
libramom - 2011-04-07 12:04 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-07 10:29 AM For those of you looking to lose those last few lbs, bare in mind V8 has a lot of sodium and will make you retain unwanted water weight. Eat the real vege's people!!! Just my .02

i hear you!!! michael's idea of a vegetable is a potato so... v8 is better than nothing.

nice ride, henry!!

i'm trying to talk michael into driving to ohio so i can do a triathlon there on may 15th. it's the same day as the pgh. marathon so i wouldn't feel like a loser since i won't be doing the half this year.

How could you ever feel like a loser when 7 months ago you couldn't even run a quarter mile!  Look where you are now.  People spend years working up to a HM!  You're foolish!!

2011-04-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3434520

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-07 12:56 PM

libramom - 2011-04-07 12:04 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-07 10:29 AM For those of you looking to lose those last few lbs, bare in mind V8 has a lot of sodium and will make you retain unwanted water weight. Eat the real vege's people!!! Just my .02

i hear you!!! michael's idea of a vegetable is a potato so... v8 is better than nothing.

nice ride, henry!!

i'm trying to talk michael into driving to ohio so i can do a triathlon there on may 15th. it's the same day as the pgh. marathon so i wouldn't feel like a loser since i won't be doing the half this year.

How could you ever feel like a loser when 7 months ago you couldn't even run a quarter mile!  Look where you are now.  People spend years working up to a HM!  You're foolish!!

I won't say "foolish" but yeah!! Look at you now!!!

don't rush the big distance. Things are much more enjoyable when you take your time, and you'll be more competitive at it too!
2011-04-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Veteran

I just got back from a good 21 mile ride.  In the beginning of the ride I was cursing myself for wasting money on aero bars and was thinking about many questions to ask this group when I got home as to how to get use to the blasted things!  Well, as I got more comfortable on the bike I got pretty use to using them and actually found it possibly more comfortable than other hand positions.  I found that I gained an instant 2mph as soon as I assumed the position.  By the end I even stayed in them going down minor hills at over 25 mph.  So, I am now happy again that I bought them.  My biggest concern in the beginning of the ride was that I was going to swerve right into the Ohio River, but I avoided that (and the geese).  The ride continued to be great until the very end, however, when I got my first flat tire on my new bike Cry  I am sure that I picked up a rock.  I was close enough to the car s I just walked it in and I will deal with it later.  Other than the flat, I ended up being happy with the ride.  I was able to maintain 20 mph into the wind for some extended amounts of time, but I didn't have to tackle any hills on this ride.

2011-04-07 9:26 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

What do you mean?  A potato isn't a vegetable?  Dang, that sucks. 

Brian,  I will stay here is as long as you and the rest of the team keep showing up.  You're insight and knowledge on most of this stuff is great.  Can't say I ever will get to your level of commitment but I like to hear about them.  And as for the sodium, isn't it a electrolite?  I have read that people that train sometimes even use salt pills or something like that.  Have you heard of this?

Henry,  Those bars look exactly like mine.  They are cool cause they connect.  The only sucky thing is that you can't shift or break without getting out of Aero.  At least that's how it is on my bike.  BTW.  That bike looks fast. 

Michael,  I also noticed the immediate improvement in speed when I went into Aero.  Harder on the Jewels though.  The possition feels great when you have been in a different one for a long time but after a while, I needed to rest from that one.  The funny thing is,  I trained with it and then during the race, I don't think I used it much at all.  During the climbs, I was on the horns the whole time and the downhill speeds were so fast, I didn't want to go faster and was even riding the breaks a lot. 

Everyone,  I forgot to tell you.  Most of the bikes that were in the race that I was in were not super narly Tri Bikes.  They were mostly Road Bikes and very few had Aero Bars.   I even saw people on old mountain bikes and one guy was riding a womens mountain bike.  I guess we are not the only people that can't afford $5000.00 for our first bike.  I was reading the Buyers Guide Triathlete magazine.  They have bikes in there that cost 15,000.  Now that's commitment to the sport.

Erin,  Sounds to me like you made a ton of improvements in the running.  I too couldn't run 1/4 mile and that was 1.5 years ago.  I still haven't made HM distances.  Great job.

QOTD:  What was the reason that you decided to do your very first Triathlon?  What made you want to do a second?

My answer:  I didn't even really know what a triathlon was until I met a customer that was training for one.  He told me he was going to go for a 30 mile bike ride through the foothills and then coming home and run a few miles.  I thought he was crazy and told him so.  He told me that if you can finish a triathlon, for two years after you finish it you feel like nothing in your life is to hard for you and that every aspect of your life seems a little easier.  My mom had just died a few months before so I was looking for things to be a little easier.   It sounded so impossible and unlike me.  I hated running, didn't have a bike since High School and barely could swim across a 13 yard pool.  I was bored with lifting heavy weights and never seeing the results I wanted.  To me, I knew that if I could go from that mentality to finishing what seemed impossible to me, that I could do anything else I set my mind to. The guy was right.  Although it wasn't just finishing the race that made me feel like that.  It was the whole process.   I want to do a second triathlon to make sure I feel that way again.  I am now also wanting to do a marathon and mud race.  Might be into training for a century.

2011-04-07 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
QOTD: I guess that I had a couple reasons for doing them.  I had always loved the idea since I was young watching Mark Allen race Kona.  I use to watch it every year, but I never ran, biked, or swam.  As I was getting in shape last year I had always had it in the back of my mind after seeing fliers for the tri at our YMCA.  I liked the idea of doing a tri because it was very different and I didn't know anyone else who had ever tried the sport.  I've always liked being different, so I really wanted to give it a try - but I didn't have the nerve to register and dive into.  That's until Erin texted me at work and told me that my friend had just signed up for a tri.  She was a bit overweight, and I decided that I wasn't going to let her outdo me (I now that's childish, but it helped fuel me for the race).  I only had 2 months until the sprint, but I put my all into it.  The best part was the day of the race.  I just loved the energy of the day and the feeling of crossing the finish line.  I didn't want to leave the race that day.  Then I decided that I wanted to push my distances as far as I could, which brings me to where I am today...
2011-04-07 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Henry - I have to say that the bike is very cool, and I especially like the colors.  The aero bars are also great.  I am getting use to mine, and I really like them now.

2011-04-08 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Dale,
yes sodium is an electrolyte and people use salt tablets in races. However, our diets contain soooo much sodium as it is. Our bodies get plenty for normal day day function. Using them on long courses is not normal function and is really the only time our body wouldn't have enough electrolyte to function. Too much sodium in your diet day to day creates all sorts of problems, including water retention and heart problem risks.

yes, most people in tri's don't have fancy bikes. I bought my first road bike for $550!!! I had a $400 Mountain Bike. That and spin classes got me too my first tri. My first outdoor tri was an Xterra. I used my mountain bike that I had trained/raced mtb races on the year before. I upgraded it significantly over the winter prior to the race. My first road tri????.....Let's just say I was a little spoiled with the bike for that!

don't get out of the aero's on the downhills!!! your giving away free speed!!

Michael,
Aero makes you a little unstable. There's no getting around it. Wait till you get on a tt bike where your in aero and set forward more over the front whell too! Last weekend I was taking a pull in front of a group. Winds were 25mph+ and gusting higher. I was in aero and they were doing echelon drating behind me. The guy directly behind me got too close off the side of me when a gust blew me over and I almost took him out.

QOTD: I was already riding my bike to get in shape. I met some friends and did a couple mtb races. One of those friends also did tri's and convince me to run sometimes after our mtb training rides. I joined tri swim classes at my gym to see if I could swim. My first tri was an indoor. I did really well and got hooked. Shortly after that I got hurt MTB'ing. I recovered from that and missed my first outdoor tri. After that I got hurt again in an MTB race, and that was it for my season. I focussed that winter on tri training and did my first real tri that spring. I was hooked again and did several more races. I just get addicted to the progress and competition!!
2011-04-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3435772

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

dale- i'm sorry- i meant to say that the only vegetable he eats is a potato...oh, and corn!

qotd: after seeing michael's race last year, i was really motivated by all of the excitement. i remember that a bunch of our friends came last year and i told one of them, "i can't run to save my life, but if i can be in labor for 21 hours and push out a 10-pound baby for four hours, i can do this too!" so, i'm starting small with a sprint distance. baby steps....

ps- michael, i thought i encouraged you to do a tri, not you trying to beat jen!

2011-04-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3436347

User image

Veteran
libramom - 2011-04-08 1:25 PM

dale- i'm sorry- i meant to say that the only vegetable he eats is a potato...oh, and corn!

qotd: after seeing michael's race last year, i was really motivated by all of the excitement. i remember that a bunch of our friends came last year and i told one of them, "i can't run to save my life, but if i can be in labor for 21 hours and push out a 10-pound baby for four hours, i can do this too!" so, i'm starting small with a sprint distance. baby steps....

ps- michael, i thought i encouraged you to do a tri, not you trying to beat jen!

Erin - You DEFINITELY encouraged me to enter the race and the entire summer!!!  Jen didn't encourage me whatsoever.  The idea of beating her motivated me to put my best effort into it everyday       (Also, give yourself some more credit - that labor lasted for 30 hours and the pushing was 5.5 hours! )

2011-04-08 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Brian - For now, would you suggest keeping the bike as a road bike with aero bars, or should I consider changing the geometry/riding position?  Just wondering...
2011-04-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3436473

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-08 1:18 PM

Brian - For now, would you suggest keeping the bike as a road bike with aero bars, or should I consider changing the geometry/riding position?  Just wondering...

ride it as is for now. If you decide you're not using aero as much keep it the way it is. If you find yourself riding outside of groups and always in aero move the seat forward. You can always mark the positions and move back and forth

2011-04-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3436503

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-04-08 2:31 PM
mcommend - 2011-04-08 1:18 PM Brian - For now, would you suggest keeping the bike as a road bike with aero bars, or should I consider changing the geometry/riding position?  Just wondering...
ride it as is for now. If you decide you're not using aero as much keep it the way it is. If you find yourself riding outside of groups and always in aero move the seat forward. You can always mark the positions and move back and forth

I know that it can be more complicated than just moving the seat forward, but can it also be that simple?  I am not completely sure how I will be riding, but I did have a lot of fun in aero once I got use to it!

2011-04-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3436522

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-08 1:42 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-08 2:31 PM
mcommend - 2011-04-08 1:18 PM Brian - For now, would you suggest keeping the bike as a road bike with aero bars, or should I consider changing the geometry/riding position?  Just wondering...

I know that it can be more complicated than just moving the seat forward, but can it also be that simple?  I am not completely sure how I will be riding, but I did have a lot of fun in aero once I got use to it!

Because it's a road bike and not a tt bike I wouldn't try to make it overly complicated. Also, you weren't fit for tt so don't know how different it is for you. Besides, If you can breath fine, and your bringing an extra 2mph to the table you're doing something right. No need to complicate things.
2011-04-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3435436

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-07 9:26 PM

Henry,  Those bars look exactly like mine.  They are cool cause they connect.  The only sucky thing is that you can't shift or break without getting out of Aero.  At least that's how it is on my bike.  BTW.  That bike looks fast. 

Yeah, I'm sure it will be a challenge to get in and out of the aero's. Any tips or warnings? My bike trails are so crowded I'm a little worried I'll plow right into someone one of these days!

2011-04-08 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3436626

User image

Veteran
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-08 3:31 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it will be a challenge to get in and out of the aero's. Any tips or warnings? My bike trails are so crowded I'm a little worried I'll plow right into someone one of these days!

Since I have been working on this, my advice would be to find somewhere where you will not have to be shifting gears or the possibility of quick braking.  It took me some time to get use to getting in and out without swerving, and if there was the possibility of something jumping out in front of me I would have been done in for sure.  Practice is the key

2011-04-08 7:07 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Henry,

The only advise that I can give because I am not a pro is that the more warning you have, the better.  If you see a guy 100 yards ahead of you and think you have to break or change position, do it before you actually get to where you might crash.  I do that with all the stoplights too.  Always watch and if you get to the point where you can't safetly break or shift, you are commited to making the light.  If you see the light changing and you have time, go ahead and get out of Aero and then you can break. The only problems I ever had where when I decided to do something at the last second.  That goes for the clip in petals too.  If you can click out while you are still moving, you are less likely to crash.  It is super hard to clip out when you are stopped.  Brian surely knows more about it.  Any other warnings/advice?

2011-04-08 7:08 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Erin,  ouch.  I would do an Iron Man any day of the week over that.
2011-04-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3436718

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
mcommend - 2011-04-08 3:35 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-08 3:31 PM

Maybe I'll practice the first time in a parking lot! LOL Luckily we have MILES of bike paths here. They do cross traffic at places, and some paths/trails are more crowded than others. I'm not sure if I'm going to get them on my bike in time for my first race but I have a feeling there are years of tri's ahead of me.

Since I have been working on this, my advice would be to find somewhere where you will not have to be shifting gears or the possibility of quick braking.  It took me some time to get use to getting in and out without swerving, and if there was the possibility of something jumping out in front of me I would have been done in for sure.  Practice is the key

2011-04-09 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3436503

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Hey guys! I am in southern Florida for vacation. I've been here since Wednesday and don't go back to dreary Pittsburgh until Tuesday. The sun and beach are nice, but you want to know something....I actually sort of miss my normal training routine! there are mountain bikes down here and I brought running stuff but it is just SO hot, you really can't do anything after 9am because its already 85*! Im going to need a detox too after all the ice cream and alcohol im having!
2011-04-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3436957

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

All good advice! Thanks. My hope was to get them on the bike tomorrow, but I'm sick again. GRRRR. Feels like a chest cold. I took Nyquil last night and slept for around 11 hours. Still feel like crap and I have to work all day today, then stagger through an easy run. Actually aside from the metallic feeling in my throat and a mild cough I feel fine so far...I think I can run cos it's only for 25 min @ low intensity, but then I'm gonna eat dinner and go to bed again for a looooong time. Hopefully I will kick this cold!

shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-08 7:07 PM

Henry,

The only advise that I can give because I am not a pro is that the more warning you have, the better.  If you see a guy 100 yards ahead of you and think you have to break or change position, do it before you actually get to where you might crash.  I do that with all the stoplights too.  Always watch and if you get to the point where you can't safetly break or shift, you are commited to making the light.  If you see the light changing and you have time, go ahead and get out of Aero and then you can break. The only problems I ever had where when I decided to do something at the last second.  That goes for the clip in petals too.  If you can click out while you are still moving, you are less likely to crash.  It is super hard to clip out when you are stopped.  Brian surely knows more about it.  Any other warnings/advice?

2011-04-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3437411

User image

Expert
Canada

sbux87 - 2011-04-09 11:38 AM Hey guys! I am in southern Florida for vacation. I've been here since Wednesday and don't go back to dreary Pittsburgh until Tuesday. The sun and beach are nice, but you want to know something....I actually sort of miss my normal training routine! there are mountain bikes down here and I brought running stuff but it is just SO hot, you really can't do anything after 9am because its already 85*! Im going to need a detox too after all the ice cream and alcohol im having!

Sarah, you got it rough!!!

What I did was run before 9, as you remarked.  Otherwise, call it vacation, cut yourself some slack & when you return to Pitt, be prepared to WORK!!

R

2011-04-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3437431

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
GoGoGo - 2011-04-09 10:48 AM

sbux87 - 2011-04-09 11:38 AM Hey guys! I am in southern Florida for vacation. I've been here since Wednesday and don't go back to dreary Pittsburgh until Tuesday. The sun and beach are nice, but you want to know something....I actually sort of miss my normal training routine! there are mountain bikes down here and I brought running stuff but it is just SO hot, you really can't do anything after 9am because its already 85*! Im going to need a detox too after all the ice cream and alcohol im having!

What I did was run before 9, as you remarked.  Otherwise, call it vacation, cut yourself some slack & when you return to Pitt, be prepared to WORK!!

R

Haha yeah, life is tough....maybe another margarita will help
2011-04-09 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3437448

User image

Expert
Canada
sbux87 - 2011-04-09 12:07 PM
GoGoGo - 2011-04-09 10:48 AM

R

Haha yeah, life is tough....maybe another margarita will help

It often does, especially in the warm sun!!!

2011-04-09 8:40 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
You guys maybe over thinking the aero thing a little. You'll get used to it with just a little practice and become more stable too. Just be sure you are looking up often enough to know what's in front of you. It gets easier. Trust me.

Sarah, have fun! Right now you deserve it! You can work out but only 12oz. curls!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2011-04-10 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran

It finally was warm today in Pittsburgh, so Erin and I went on a "training" ride this afternoon with the boys in tow behind the bikes.  It definitely adds some great resistance!  it was a great ride until I got a flat tire again.  I have never had a flat in my entire life, and now I have had two within three days.  Talk about frustrating.  At least I am getting great practice at changing flats....

I hope everyone else had some great swims, rides, and/or runs!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56