BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-04-01 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
Had a really rough 2-1/2 ride hour yesterday - more mentally challenging I think.  I was on the fence about riding outside or on the trainer since accuweather said it was 60 out.  From the second I pulled out of my neighborhood I started second guessing since it was COLD.  I got stuck by a stopped train, did a loop I haven't done in a year and the roads were terrible-I think I damaged a spoke, had a stiff, COLD wind in my face the whole way back.  When I got home I was wiped out.  Next time when in question I will jump on the trainer.

2012-04-01 1:25 PM

User image

Expert

Pretty happy with my March totals - only missed two run workouts.

March's totals:
Bike:15h 49m 23s  - 262.77 Mi
Run:9h 15m  - 61.33 Mi
Swim:8h 52m 42s  - 23100 Yd
Strength:1h 20m

2012-04-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4122337

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Jenn - that does sound painful - hope the treatments work.

Jennifers - 2012-03-31 4:17 PM

I've been holding up ok.  I did encounter my first "injury"...my calf muscle and bottom of my foot were spasming up on me when I'd point my toe down.  Thankfully, I had some of my students and a co-worker look at it and treat it- I have some adhesions in the calf muscle that are limiting my motion, so they used a treatment called Graston Technique to work on it...VERY painful, but it felt so much better the next day.  I have two-four more treatments to go in the next couple weeks before hopefully it's resolved.

Today I biked indoors for about 4 hours for a charity event, Pedal for the Food Pantry, this morning.  It was an absolute blast.  I actually was on the bike for 3:36 and got 60 miles in.  I am supposed to squeeze in a 30 minute run today but it is my husband's birthday weekend and I we have dinner plans with some friends, plus a million other things that must get done today, so hopefully I can get something in. 

Those of you training for IMWI- did you see the course changes?  What do you think?  At first, I was not happy about the swim course change...to me, it already looked scary when it was the rectangle, but now... Although, this will help spread everyone out better, so I guess I am feeling better about it.  Does anyone know how the bike course changed?  I couldn't figure that out.  I am headed to Madison next weekend to ride the course, so we'll see how it is then.

2012-04-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4122617

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Heather.

Nice to see you and sounds like you are doing well. Good luck getting into that race. I love running into puppies when I am out running - you just have to stop!

Keep up the good work.

hgoudreau - 2012-03-31 8:32 PM

Hi folks,

It was a beautiful day here.  I started training for a spring 10k - the race is sold out, and I don't have a bib yet, but I'm working on it (and figure I might as well start training in the meantime.  If I find one, I'll be ready to PR; if not, I'll be better in the triathlons I've been eyeing for later this summer). All that to say, I ran 3 miles.  The highlight was meeting an 11-week old puppy. She rolled over and let me rub her belly.

After my run, my husband and I took the three dogs hiking. It's a bit wet in some places, but the woods have dried out quite a bit in the past week.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day, so I'm going to take a spin class and do some weight training..

Enjoy your weekend, all!

2012-04-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4123229

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Tim.

Nice ride my friend. I was faced with that dilema this morning - outside or in - decided on the trainer-way to cold and windy here to hit the road. Today had me for a long ride 2:45 followed by a run off the bike. That 2:45 on the trainer was my longest ever on the trianer and wow it was hard - physically and mentally. I made it through - but it was a challenge. I actually enjoyed the run, it was so nice to be off the bike Laughing

Awesome job in March! 

tmoran80 - 2012-04-01 2:24 PM Had a really rough 2-1/2 ride hour yesterday - more mentally challenging I think.  I was on the fence about riding outside or on the trainer since accuweather said it was 60 out.  From the second I pulled out of my neighborhood I started second guessing since it was COLD.  I got stuck by a stopped train, did a loop I haven't done in a year and the roads were terrible-I think I damaged a spoke, had a stiff, COLD wind in my face the whole way back.  When I got home I was wiped out.  Next time when in question I will jump on the trainer.

Edited by kcgolf 2012-04-01 2:07 PM
2012-04-01 2:09 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Well Team - it looks like we have a decision to make regarding a spring mentor group.

I will chat with the Coach and see if he wants to start a new group or if he would prefer to stick here for one more session in the archives.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

KC

2012-04-01 2:15 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

My Monthly Totals

Monthly totals:
S: 31988.19 Yd  - 12h 51m
B: 235.21 Mi  - 15h 19m
R: 47.42 Mi  - 7h 55m
Str: 6h 25m
Sp: 14h 50m

2012-04-01 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4123256

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
kcgolf - 2012-04-01 3:01 PM

Hi Heather.

Nice to see you and sounds like you are doing well. Good luck getting into that race. I love running into puppies when I am out running - you just have to stop!

Keep up the good work.

I always slow down to a walk (or stop) when passing people with dogs.  Partly to say hello if the dog is friendly (because I love dogs, obviously); but also partly to avoid having the dog try to chase me.  My philosophy is that you just never know, and I would rather slow down and get by the dog at a pace that means the dog is likely to ignore me instead of having a dog dragging its owner down the street trying to chase me.. although I could just be paranoid!

2012-04-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4120593

User image

Expert
tmoran80 - 2012-03-30 9:57 AM

Brian - glad to hear that you got that resolved with such a simple fix.  I've never even thought about checking my crank length.  What cadence are you spinning at on average.  I used to be a masher and was spinning around 75 to 80 but have been working to get that up around 90-95 on average and it really has helped save my legs off the bike.

Keep up the good work!

Batlou - 2012-03-26 8:39 PM

Anyway, there is a company online that was able to take a standard FSA crank and cuts them down to 155CM.  I figured this had to be better than 170 which is the smallest you can find from the leading manufacturers.  To make an a long story short I ordered a set and had them put on. 

This weekend I raced a local triathlon that uses the same course that I had just raced about 4 weeks prior.  It's a Sprint that covers 12 miles over two loops over rolling hills with one 1.5 mile steady climb on the back.  There was some concern from me on how the shortened crank arms would effect torque for climbing.  Well, it did seem to have an effect.  4 weeks ago on this course I averaged 18.4 MPH. This weekend I increased my speed by right at 3MPH to 21.5.  WOO HOO!!!

In addition, I went on a 30 and a 40 mile very hilly rides and felt much better and faster on the climbs with comfortable spinning over the top and a lot less mashing.  Knees feel great too which I am happy about as well but I am so overwhelmed by the speed/comfort increase I kind of forgot about the lack of knee pain.

I am/was also a masher at 75-80 with my old setup.  Everything I have been reading has suggested that I increase that to 90-95 for optimal performance.  I am now spinning at that 90+ range comfortably.  The interesting thing is that many people questioned if I would be able to climb OK since I was losing some leverage by shortening my cranks.  It seems that I have not had any issues climbing and in fact because I am more comfortable spinning I stay in the seat longer and spin at a much higher cadence where before on some of the same hills I would have been out of the saddle much sooner.  So far there has been absolutely no downside to going with shorter cranks.

2012-04-02 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4123267

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2012-04-01 3:09 PM

Well Team - it looks like we have a decision to make regarding a spring mentor group.

I will chat with the Coach and see if he wants to start a new group or if he would prefer to stick here for one more session in the archives.

KC

There is not much decision on my part, You know I have been away.  Hell my bike miles for the month barely equal Tim's run miles. lol  I feel bad I have left everyone but I know KC is helping out and everyone has my email if they have questions.  It's just hard to get into tri's when I cannot train with any intensity. No matter what we do I will follow everyone through the season as I am pulling for everyone to have great seasons.

Here is a good chuckle :

My monthly totals

Swim = 0

Run = approx 25

Bike= maybe 60

That sounds like a 16:59:59 finish at best. lol  Oh well hopefully I can take KC's money if he gives me 19 stokes.

Edited by razorxp 2012-04-02 7:47 PM
2012-04-03 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4125884

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks Coach - and no chance at 19 strokes.

razorxp - 2012-04-02 8:43 PM
kcgolf - 2012-04-01 3:09 PM

KC

There is not much decision on my part, You know I have been away.  Hell my bike miles for the month barely equal Tim's run miles. lol  I feel bad I have left everyone but I know KC is helping out and everyone has my email if they have questions.  It's just hard to get into tri's when I cannot train with any intensity. No matter what we do I will follow everyone through the season as I am pulling for everyone to have great seasons.

Here is a good chuckle :

My monthly totals

Swim = 0

Run = approx 25

Bike= maybe 60

That sounds like a 16:59:59 finish at best. lol  Oh well hopefully I can take KC's money if he gives me 19 stokes.

2012-04-04 3:08 PM

User image

Expert

So I know usually I am kind of a joker but I am having a real bad day today.  I had a pretty serious argument with my sister last night (can't even begin to tell you the issues she has or I would be typing all day) and during the conversation it came up that she thought that I was the most selfish person she knew because of my triathlon/Ironman training and playing in my band as it was taking away from my family.

The band I would consider a part time job as my wife and I use the income to compensate for her not working full  time. But the training is something that I choose to do to satisfy some crazy goal that I have.  Am I selfish for doing an Ironman with 3 young kids?  Everyone has their own personal reason why we train and dedicate so much time to this sport but it makes it very difficult when a family member (and I am assuming other family members have talked or feel the same way as my sister) think that what I am working so hard for EVERY day is selfish.  I guess I just never looked at it from that perspective and it is kind of bothering me now.  People who don't do this will never understand why we do this and I don't expect them to.  I guess it just makes me really question myself as to why I am doing this and who am I hurting to reach my goal?

Sorry to be so deep here but I am really curious as to what your guys thoughts are since some of you are training or who have trained for an IM are/have gone though this.

2012-04-04 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4130345

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-04-04 4:08 PM

So I know usually I am kind of a joker but I am having a real bad day today.  I had a pretty serious argument with my sister last night (can't even begin to tell you the issues she has or I would be typing all day) and during the conversation it came up that she thought that I was the most selfish person she knew because of my triathlon/Ironman training and playing in my band as it was taking away from my family.

The band I would consider a part time job as my wife and I use the income to compensate for her not working full  time. But the training is something that I choose to do to satisfy some crazy goal that I have.  Am I selfish for doing an Ironman with 3 young kids?  Everyone has their own personal reason why we train and dedicate so much time to this sport but it makes it very difficult when a family member (and I am assuming other family members have talked or feel the same way as my sister) think that what I am working so hard for EVERY day is selfish.  I guess I just never looked at it from that perspective and it is kind of bothering me now.  People who don't do this will never understand why we do this and I don't expect them to.  I guess it just makes me really question myself as to why I am doing this and who am I hurting to reach my goal?

Sorry to be so deep here but I am really curious as to what your guys thoughts are since some of you are training or who have trained for an IM are/have gone though this.

That is a tough one for me to answer as I don't have children but I will say triathlon has been negative on my business (in the sense I didn't do anything but train so I could not go after new business).  So your sister does have a point but that triathlon (esp IM training) is life consuming. 

As for your situation what does your wife think? not to be a di@@ but I don't care what anyone else thinks about the relationship between my wife and I.  Heck maybe training makes you a better person or better dad as your healthier and more structured because you blow off stress during training.  Also Brian does a great job of including his kids in the overall healthy lifestyle so how could that be bad.

Sorry to ramble and not answer it but its a personal question that is between you and your wife (happy wife = happy life lol)

2012-04-04 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4130402

User image

Expert
razorxp - 2012-04-04 3:31 PM  

That is a tough one for me to answer as I don't have children but I will say triathlon has been negative on my business (in the sense I didn't do anything but train so I could not go after new business).  So your sister does have a point but that triathlon (esp IM training) is life consuming. 

As for your situation what does your wife think? not to be a di@@ but I don't care what anyone else thinks about the relationship between my wife and I.  Heck maybe training makes you a better person or better dad as your healthier and more structured because you blow off stress during training.  Also Brian does a great job of including his kids in the overall healthy lifestyle so how could that be bad.

Sorry to ramble and not answer it but its a personal question that is between you and your wife (happy wife = happy life lol)

Thanks David - I have made it a priority to make sure my wife is well aware of what is going on and keeping the lines of communication open.  I print weekly schedules of my workouts and put on the fridge and I do 90% of my workouts before she wakes up and while at work.  What gets touchy is the weekends with the long rides and bike but I have explained to her and she understands that it is important to me.  Yeah your right I really shouldn't care what other people think as long as my wife and kids are ok.  The main reason I got back into working out and racing again 5 years ago was because I wanted to be a positive influence on my son and not be that "overweight dad" at his sporting events.  I actually had a conversation with my wife last week that I don't remember my dad doing ANYTHING as I was growing up.  It is great to see them show interest in triathlon by doing the kids races, stretching with me, the race trips, etc... so I guess in the end I am satisfying that goal.  I think it just hit me of how much of a sacrifice I am making to do this but I guess it just makes finishing that much more satisfying right?

2012-04-04 7:06 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Tim - I would like to echo what the Coach is saying - if you are happy, your wife and family are happy - you are doing the right thing. I don't want to sound rude - so sorry if this does - but it sounds like your sister is butting in where she does not belong. You hang tough, continue to communicate with your wife and family - and you will be fine and you will be an IRONMAN my friend.

KC

2012-04-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4130781

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Tim - It's all about balance.  To much of one thing or the other is never good.

2012-04-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4130781

User image

Expert

Thanks KC - no worries about being rude - There was a lot of stuff being said and it came out not that she was butting into my life but she thought that I was butting into her life haha (more on how I am afraid her actions will hurt her kids in the future).  So I guess I deserved it but it just made me really think about how much time I HAVE and WILL be spending training and what I can do to minimize the effect on my family.  Probably should have thought about this before I plopped down $665 - haha

I feel better today but kind of dreading the Easter holiday this weekend.  

Back to training - I had a good 2500Y straight swim yesterday and took over 1 minute off my time again - averaged 1:41/100Y from 1:43/100Y

kcgolf - 2012-04-04 7:06 PM

Hey Team.

Tim - I would like to echo what the Coach is saying - if you are happy, your wife and family are happy - you are doing the right thing. I don't want to sound rude - so sorry if this does - but it sounds like your sister is butting in where she does not belong. You hang tough, continue to communicate with your wife and family - and you will be fine and you will be an IRONMAN my friend.

KC

2012-04-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4132653

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-04-05 3:38 PM

Thanks KC - no worries about being rude - There was a lot of stuff being said and it came out not that she was butting into my life but she thought that I was butting into her life haha (more on how I am afraid her actions will hurt her kids in the future).  So I guess I deserved it but it just made me really think about how much time I HAVE and WILL be spending training and what I can do to minimize the effect on my family.  Probably should have thought about this before I plopped down $665 - haha

Back to training - I had a good 2500Y straight swim yesterday and took over 1 minute off my time again - averaged 1:41/100Y from 1:43/100Y

Hey Team.

KC

Ill trade you your $665 for my $1k on a race I probably wont even attempt! lol  As I tell everyone we don't get paid to do this so enjoy it and just try to fit in as much training as time allows.

Hope everyone enjoys Easter!

2012-04-05 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4132653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-04-05 2:38 PM

Hey Team.

KC

Lifestyle, man.  HUGE question.  How to make it fit with the family.  I don't think we find balance.  I think balance finds us when we have our priorities straight.  I didn't have kids in the mix.  But I had a new wife who didn't sign on for the IronMan because I didn't know I wanted to do one when we got married.  One thing led to another and finally it was, "Honey, how would you feel if I did an IronMan?"  We discussed the time commitment.  My coach talked to both of us pretty frankly.  He told her it was like having a part-time job.  20 hours a week plus by the end.  She became my manager.  I did everything to keep her in the loop.  I discussed the workouts.  I talked about equipment.  We discussed purchases.  She was involved.  As I've said, No one gets to the starting line alone, no one crosses the finish line by themselves.  The idea triathlon, especially long distance triathlon is an individual sport is an illusion on race day.  It takes a team to make an IronMan.  I just get to wear the tattoo.  

This is what I advise;

1.  Communicate.  Above all else.  This is absolutely key.  Listen especially to the cues she gives.  If there is a comment that indicates she might be getting weary, don't let it pass.  Ask more explanation.  Seek solutions early before small problems turn big.  I bought a copy of the DVD called The Distance.  It is a documentary on two guys and a woman  training for IronMan Wisconsin.  Two have family issues.  It was a great thing to watch with Kathy so we could see the pitfalls and avoid them.    

2.  Involve everybody in the family.  If people have jobs that help, they feel engaged, a part of the effort rather than, "Oh that's something he does..." 

3. Make sure everyone keeps their eye on the fact there will be an end to it.  The date of the race should be posted somewhere.  If people realize the sacrifice will have an end, they are more likely to endure the short term problems that arise. 

4.  This is critical, I found.  Kathy had I have had a date night ever since we were married.   We sent Friday night aside for us.  NOTHING interferes (well, the grandchildren do sometimes, but I'm good with that.  Kathy loves them so much.)  We go to movies and dinner.  We sometimes just go to dinner and come home and rent something to watch.  We have FUN.  We also make it a practice to go to breakfast on Saturday and Sunday together.  Then we do shopping, then I get on my bike and she goes does what she does.  We have separate lives and lives together.  Now I know that isn't always practical for everyone, but there has to be one on one time.  That way she knows that beyond a doubt, my relationship with her is paramount to everything.  

This really worked.  Everything gelled.  Ironman brought us closer rather than being divisive.  One night a month or so ago we were talking about the year coming up and whether I still wanted to go volunteer at IM Wis.  I said yes and then smiled and under my breath said, "And maybe stay over Monday and sign up for 2013."  Then I smiled big.  Without batting an eye, she said, "OK, but make sure we stay closer to downtown next time.  I don't want to be in the boonies."  How about that.

2012-04-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4132909

User image

Expert

Wow - Thanks Scott - very well said.  I love the line "It takes a team to make an IronMan.  I just get to wear the tattoo." -might have to steal that for my tagline

I checked out that video and actually ordered it last night.  Looks very interesting.

That is great that your wife is so supportive - Have you registered to volunteer yet?

IceManScott - 2012-04-05 4:11 PM

Lifestyle, man.  HUGE question.  How to make it fit with the family.  I don't think we find balance.  I think balance finds us when we have our priorities straight.  I didn't have kids in the mix.  But I had a new wife who didn't sign on for the IronMan because I didn't know I wanted to do one when we got married.  One thing led to another and finally it was, "Honey, how would you feel if I did an IronMan?"  We discussed the time commitment.  My coach talked to both of us pretty frankly.  He told her it was like having a part-time job.  20 hours a week plus by the end.  She became my manager.  I did everything to keep her in the loop.  I discussed the workouts.  I talked about equipment.  We discussed purchases.  She was involved.  As I've said, No one gets to the starting line alone, no one crosses the finish line by themselves.  The idea triathlon, especially long distance triathlon is an individual sport is an illusion on race day.  It takes a team to make an IronMan.  I just get to wear the tattoo.  

This is what I advise;

1.  Communicate.  Above all else.  This is absolutely key.  Listen especially to the cues she gives.  If there is a comment that indicates she might be getting weary, don't let it pass.  Ask more explanation.  Seek solutions early before small problems turn big.  I bought a copy of the DVD called The Distance.  It is a documentary on two guys and a woman  training for IronMan Wisconsin.  Two have family issues.  It was a great thing to watch with Kathy so we could see the pitfalls and avoid them.    

2.  Involve everybody in the family.  If people have jobs that help, they feel engaged, a part of the effort rather than, "Oh that's something he does..." 

3. Make sure everyone keeps their eye on the fact there will be an end to it.  The date of the race should be posted somewhere.  If people realize the sacrifice will have an end, they are more likely to endure the short term problems that arise. 

4.  This is critical, I found.  Kathy had I have had a date night ever since we were married.   We sent Friday night aside for us.  NOTHING interferes (well, the grandchildren do sometimes, but I'm good with that.  Kathy loves them so much.)  We go to movies and dinner.  We sometimes just go to dinner and come home and rent something to watch.  We have FUN.  We also make it a practice to go to breakfast on Saturday and Sunday together.  Then we do shopping, then I get on my bike and she goes does what she does.  We have separate lives and lives together.  Now I know that isn't always practical for everyone, but there has to be one on one time.  That way she knows that beyond a doubt, my relationship with her is paramount to everything.  

This really worked.  Everything gelled.  Ironman brought us closer rather than being divisive.  One night a month or so ago we were talking about the year coming up and whether I still wanted to go volunteer at IM Wis.  I said yes and then smiled and under my breath said, "And maybe stay over Monday and sign up for 2013."  Then I smiled big.  Without batting an eye, she said, "OK, but make sure we stay closer to downtown next time.  I don't want to be in the boonies."  How about that.

2012-04-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4132217

User image

Expert

Agreed but trying to balance life with this IM training is like trying to keep good balance on a teeter taughter with a 400lb. person on the other side -haha  

kdevarenne - 2012-04-05 12:28 PM Tim - It's all about balance.  To much of one thing or the other is never good.

2012-04-06 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4133900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I didn't know you could register already.  Going to try then.  I'd like to be at the finish line to welcome you.  But Kathy wants to go out on the bike course this year so I'll have to see how to "balance" things.   If they need people on the run, I can help there too.  It will be good to urge you on as you did me.  It HELPED! You were part of my TEAM!

Edited by IceManScott 2012-04-06 11:06 AM
2012-04-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4134056

User image

Expert

Team Iceman !!

Yes they opened up registration on Monday. I looked the other day and there was a ton of stuff still available.  Seems much smoother this year than last as I remember having to register 3 times because they couldn't get it right.  I am almost wondering if they have a new Race Director with the course changes and even the website and course maps seem better.

IceManScott - 2012-04-06 11:06 AM I didn't know you could register already.  Going to try then.  I'd like to be at the finish line to welcome you.  But Kathy wants to go out on the bike course this year so I'll have to see how to "balance" things.   If they need people on the run, I can help there too.  It will be good to urge you on as you did me.  It HELPED! You were part of my TEAM!

2012-04-06 6:29 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

IceMan - very well put - great words for all of us to remember.

Tim - hope you are doing well this weekend.

First round of golf for me today - not great but had some fun. I have to say though, I am tired - swam at 6:30, walked 18 holes at 10:30, put in my 65 minute ride, had dinner and now watching the Masters! I would say, great day!

126 days to IronMan.

Have a great weekend - Happy Easter.

Thanks Team.

KC

2012-04-06 6:30 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

One more thing - I know this group is coming to an end for a lot of you - just wondering if any of you are considering joining other groups? I plan on staying here - I need my team to help me get to and hopefully finish IM NYC.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43