BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-04-30 6:13 AM
in reply to: #780720

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-04-29 8:24 PM

My heart and my head was not as deep into this race as I was the first time I did it.

BGT

Sometimes it's like that. Or when the head wants to go, the body will revolt and refuse to kick into high gear. But on those days when they are both working together, and the weather is perfect, and your gear is set up just right -- that's when you feel strong and powerful and just the image of fast-moving perfection!

You've started an impressive journey this spring. Where do you want to go?

2007-04-30 6:21 AM
in reply to: #780422

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-04-29 12:29 PM

Prof, I actually met your challenge yesterday.  Running in the rain feels great!

So I had my 10k race yesterday.  It was a little cold in the morning, about 50F or so, but no winds.  I ran in shorts and a t-shirt which worked out perfect.  There was a light mist/drizzle the whole time and it made my fat body the perfect temperature that I hardly had to sweat, but wasn't cold.  The course had a good share of hills, and a decent amount of people came out (300 or so).  My goal was about 1hr 15-20 for the race, as the only time I ran 10k was on a treadmill with no incline @ 1hr10, and I ended up finished at 1h4mins, with lots of hills and in the rain.  So I was very pleased with that.  My pace was deadset the whole time, I hit 5k at 32mins, and didn't slow down/speedup at any point. 

Nice race. The rain does feel good some days, doesn't it? Although my wife, who waits patiently on the sidelines at the bigger races, doesn't seem to enjoy it much.

Edited by prof40 2007-04-30 6:24 AM
2007-04-30 7:03 AM
in reply to: #780982

User image

Minneapolis
prof40 - 2007-04-30 6:13 AM

My heart and my head was not as deep into this race as I was the first time I did it.

BGT

half marathon 2008- I wanted to do grandma's but I do not want to train for a lottery race.
Next year, I will do one indoor tri, cause well it is a great jumspstart and then commit to half marathon as well as two outdoor tri's. This is all baby pending. Not pregnant yet but we have another attempt this week.

back to your question, I have been told I have limited version, so the better question for me to ask is, where can I go? I think that the minnieman tri in June is the mt. kiliminjaro of my tri world I need help to see that maybe it is only a rolling county hill. So lead me prof, where can I go?
2007-04-30 6:24 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Brandon, FL.

I don't have a lot of time but wanted to give my weigh in info. 310.2 lbs today compared to the 314.8 last Monday for a loss of 4.6 pounds despite my Friday beer/pizza/skittles binge. I would like to think that I've happened upon a magical weight loss secret that includes copius amounts of beer, a couple shots of vodka, pizza and the odd handful of skittles left over from Easter but it was probably due to all of the swimming and biking that I did this week. Damn the experts !!!

I hope you all have a great week.

Sean

P.S. My vote is for Catwoman. She's just down right sexy and a little naughty which makes for a great combo. Then again, wonder woman does have that magic rope....

2007-04-30 9:08 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Haha Sean I think you should make that into a diet book.  Swim, skittles, bike, beer, run, pizza.  The secret the pros dont want you to know!  I got a little carried away this week myself, a couple nights of eating a whole pizza to myself at 1am spells no good.  But as long as you work it off thats what counts!

Well it is the end of the month already folks!  Time has just been flying this year and that must mean I am having fun.  I did my first race of my life (2 of them!) and the weather is finally looking nice here.  Heres my month total for april

Bike:14h 55m  - 304.5 KM
Run:6h 41m  - 60.7 KM
Swim:2h 20m  - 3349 M

I got busy with work and the start of april was still cold so I would have liked more.

So heres my challenge for May.  I challenge anyone (even prof and mark) to beat me in milage or hours (for bike/run/swim) for May.   I am unemployed and only have 1 race in May, so bring it on! :P

2007-05-01 5:34 AM
in reply to: #781001

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-04-30 8:03 AM

prof40 - 2007-04-30 6:13 AM

BGT

half marathon 2008- I wanted to do grandma's but I do not want to train for a lottery race.
Next year, I will do one indoor tri, cause well it is a great jumspstart and then commit to half marathon as well as two outdoor tri's. This is all baby pending. Not pregnant yet but we have another attempt this week.

back to your question, I have been told I have limited version, so the better question for me to ask is, where can I go? I think that the minnieman tri in June is the mt. kiliminjaro of my tri world I need help to see that maybe it is only a rolling county hill. So lead me prof, where can I go?

Well, see, that's the thing about challenges. Once you do it, you say to yourself, "hmm, that wasn't so bad." And you start looking for the next one.

So where can you go? Honestly, anywhere you want. You just have to pick a direction.

It's nice to have options, isn't it?

2007-05-01 5:45 AM
in reply to: #782660

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-04-30 10:08 PM

Haha Sean I think you should make that into a diet book.  Swim, skittles, bike, beer, run, pizza.  The secret the pros dont want you to know!  I got a little carried away this week myself, a couple nights of eating a whole pizza to myself at 1am spells no good.  But as long as you work it off thats what counts!

Well it is the end of the month already folks!  Time has just been flying this year and that must mean I am having fun.  I did my first race of my life (2 of them!) and the weather is finally looking nice here.  Heres my month total for april

Bike:14h 55m  - 304.5 KM
Run:6h 41m  - 60.7 KM
Swim:2h 20m  - 3349 M

I got busy with work and the start of april was still cold so I would have liked more.

So heres my challenge for May.  I challenge anyone (even prof and mark) to beat me in milage or hours (for bike/run/swim) for May.   I am unemployed and only have 1 race in May, so bring it on! :P

Ok, punk, you're on!

I was looking at my calendar last night and realized I missed most of the April goals I'd set for myself. And as I'm talking to my wife, she's reminding me of what happened on various dates that either cut the exercise short or prevented me from doing anything at all. So I can take some solace in the fact that I wasn't just perched in the LazyBoy with the remote in my hand.

But here's the point. I have to jumpstart my body with some serious distance, so your challenge fits perfectly with my needs.

I wasn't going to run this morning. Might have to rethink that now.

(Serious note -- I do appreciate the challenge, but listen to your body. Don't run hurt, and if you feel a nagging pain doing the other disciplines, STOP. Yes, the world will know then that I am indeed the dominant male of this group and you're just a cub, but it's better that you face that shameful status than get hurt. It's only May. Don't blow your summer by pushing too hard this month. And don't get crazy and do a mini-tri every day to push up your mileage. Rest days are just as important as hard days.)
2007-05-01 5:47 AM
in reply to: #782660

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Robb - 2007-05-01 3:08 AM

(even prof and mark) to beat me in milage or hours (for bike/run/swim) for May. I am unemployed and only have 1 race in May, so bring it on!

Robb

You're on. I love a challenge, especially when the odds of me being able to get off the starting block are so remote.

I travel out to Hong Kong later today and am staying in an apartment in HK with no gym, no pool and no escape from the 27 degree temperature or the 70% humidity!

I have entered for a tri in Hong Kong on the 13th may so I fear that the only mileage I put down will be race mileage.

That said, I am using HK as a hub and am going to China (twice), Manila, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia so I should be able to get in some gym time in the hotels where I am staying as these do tend to be quite swish.

I admire your approach to unemployment! 1am pizza binges and random physical challenges to all comers. Don’t try too hard to get a job!

Enjoy the next few days, I won’t see this site until I get into my other office on Thursday afternoon.
2007-05-01 5:51 AM
in reply to: #782413

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Sp3c0ps27 - 2007-04-30 7:24 PM

I don't have a lot of time but wanted to give my weigh in info. 310.2 lbs today compared to the 314.8 last Monday for a loss of 4.6 pounds despite my Friday beer/pizza/skittles binge. I would like to think that I've happened upon a magical weight loss secret that includes copius amounts of beer, a couple shots of vodka, pizza and the odd handful of skittles left over from Easter but it was probably due to all of the swimming and biking that I did this week. Damn the experts !!!

I hope you all have a great week.

Sean

P.S. My vote is for Catwoman. She's just down right sexy and a little naughty which makes for a great combo. Then again, wonder woman does have that magic rope....

Funny you should mention the pizza and skittles diet plan. I am convinced that my body loses weight faster with the occassional junk food day thrown in along with the salads and oatmeal. Maybe brownies and girl scout cookies are indeed diet aids, but just haven't been sufficiently studied.

Nice weight loss.
2007-05-01 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
MARK, have a safe trip, and keep us up to date on your adventures.

AS FOR THE REST OF THE TEAM: Robb's challenge is intriguing, but I want to add a component that everyone can hit. Here's the month goal for each member of the group:

Swim -- 5,000 yards, which is 200 lengths of a 25-yard pool.

Bike -- 100 miles.

Run -- 50 miles.

I know these number might look big, but they're so achievable if you just take it day-by-day. In fact, to prove it, here's the daily breakdown (as an example only, not as an exercise plan!):

Swim -- 161 yards/day, which is just over 6 lengths.

Bike -- 3.22 miles/day.

Run -- 1.61 miles/day.

Are you in?

2007-05-01 8:22 AM

User image

Minneapolis
First we should do a challange clean up. I think Pene gave us one a few weeks back and I have challenged folks to swim 880 laps a month back. we should just be clear where we are with all the stuff.

Now on to ROBB,

here are my totals for April:
Bike: 4h 18m 49s - 55.03 Mi
Run: 3h 26m 07s - 14.95 Mi
Swim: 7h 5m 18s - 9500 Yd

that swim is correct, so I have work to do on the run and bike but if you can keep up on my swim I will be impressed. So yes i am in for the challenge.
Already knocked off another 1000 yards today already. BGT

2007-05-01 8:36 AM

User image

Minneapolis
okay just to be fair, I went to an online conversion program to convert Robb's distances.
p.s. I hate that we have two systems in play, it is like distance racism.

robb's conversions
run 304km= 189 miles
bike 60k= 37 miles
swim 3349m= 3662 yards

BGT
2007-05-01 8:44 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I am at home waiting for the roof guy to come so like Robb I have time on my hands. I converted Prof's challenge cause I need stuff to do while I wait.

May distance challenge:

run 50 miles = 80km
bike 100 miles= 160 km
swim 5000 yards= 4572 meters

hope that helps my peeps across the pond. BGT
2007-05-01 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Velma here. (she's the SMART< DETERMINED) First of all, I met Prof's challenge for April with more on the swim and just 6 miles short on the bike, so doing so again for May is NO problemo. BUT--Rob's deal is another matter entirely. It is really easy to do tons of mileage if you have only yourself to look after and no work. So for the rest of us contributing members of society, don't quit your day job just for a challenge! However, I am NOT convinced that higher mileage=better results. It depends on what you are after. If you want to overcondition and fatigue your muscles, go for it. If you want to increase speed, then you must work on STRENGTH, which means you can go all out for like 2 weeks with strength training and then you HAVE to switch to flexibility, explosiveness and acceleration training and allow your body to Relax and heal those muscles or they will stay weak. I have really come a long way with my strength in a short amount of time and I didn't work harder, I worked smarter!

Today I hurt EVERYWHERE because of the very specific work I am doing. You will have to watch my logs to see what all I'm up to. BUt here's a peek: last night I pulled my kids, 35#, 45# and 55# around the lawn on a sled forwards and going backwards in a sort of fast walk/lunge, then I did knee ups, butt kicks, sideways runs and carioca drills and then ran cross country IN THE RAIN. Then I did overhead presses, wall squats, the bridge (it's harder than it looks), vertical jumps, leg lifts, lateral leg lifts, ankle and shoulder circles and stretched everything. That was in addition to my morning bike, situps, pushups, etc.

And I'm back at it this morning again. There are three workouts per day the first two weeks.

I have spent a lot of time talking to guys about athletic stuff and the 9 marathon dude who is also in his 20's has never gotten faster than his first marathon at 3:03 or something like that. Why? Because he runs 100 miles a week. He doesn't give his body time to get stronger. And he's not super skinny either, and don't even ask how I know. Just trust me.....

Thank you for your vote, Sean, for Catwoman. I'm going to take it as a personal compliment, being a feline domesticata myself If only you weren't married and way the heck down in Florida............ This darn site won't let me tell you that Velma is also the one who is rather like catwoman and the term starts with an S and ends with a Y. Prudes!!!

Edited by phoenixrising404 2007-05-01 8:58 AM
2007-05-01 12:24 PM
in reply to: #782857

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Pizza and skittles, girl scout cookies and ice cream can be diet aids. They keep your mind and body from feeling deprived!

Anyhow, just saying hi. BGT referred me to this group after we met at the YWCA indoor triathlon (she was in it, I was volunteering).
2007-05-01 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Just swallowed my high potency omega 3 fish oil---ick, sputter, gag.....yuck. I hate the taste of that stuff! But I get to follow it with my trusty xango juice and a lunch my secretary made for me--tofu and crab couscous. She loves me

So here's the nutritional challenge for the week/month: TAKE YOUR FISH/FLAX/UDO oil!!!! Just do it!! Look at the Danish study with Udo's choice oils and athletes and see for yourself. It will help your inflammation, muscle growth due to increased production of Human Growth Factor, endurance and overall health. And I'm stocking up on salmon, salmon, salmon. I'll just have to get used to eating it every day. Now to the salmon 101 ways website......

And Rob, don't worry, I wasn't trying to slam you. I'm just jealous that you get to focus solely on this for awhile. Not fair, not fair, not fair! But, I'm proud of your efforts so far, so go out there and get em, tiger. But you might want to listen to your friend Velma here and add in some strength, yoga and REST, too. Or just go find some little kids to pull around in a sled! Jumproping is supposed to be great for this, too. I'm borrowing my daughter's tonight!

You won't be hearing much from me after this. I spend too much time on this silly computer and I don't have the time to "waste" now. I'm up at the crack of dawn and before as it is. Have to get more sleep or nothing I do will work! So, ciao for now, but I'll check in now and then to see how you are and to post my workouts.

2007-05-01 1:26 PM

User image

Minneapolis
you can stay and play, we are really friendly here. We are also a little crazy!!
2007-05-01 1:27 PM

User image

Minneapolis
that was for my new friend who was at my tri the other day.
Did you take that photo standing on you tub? why?
2007-05-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: #783725

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
It was for a livejournal group for fat athletes....I wanted to show off my awesome gnome-like body in cycling gear ) The bathroom mirror is the only one that was big enough for a full body shot though!
2007-05-01 10:38 PM

Veteran

PHOENIX-PENE DON"T STAY AWAY TOO LONG!! YOU ARE A GREAT INSPIRATION.
PHEOENIX IS ON MY NEW RACE BIKE SO I THINK OF YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE<
THAT"S WHY I SAID IT FELT IT WAS MENT TO BE WHEN I SAW IT AT THE GARAGE SALE

2007-05-01 10:39 PM

Veteran
welcome androgenie, it is good to meet you.

2007-05-01 10:48 PM

Veteran
Prof- I did the hypoxic swim 2 different ways which is the right way?
Swimming on top of the water without breathing= 2 lenghts
Swimming underwater without breathing =1 length

A bandage? thats gross ... I have seen worse though I had to close a pool once because of a baby antileak swimwear leaking. A frog that a kid brought with for swim lessons, perscription glasses, and rocks that kids throw and dive under to get.

I also once have found enough money (at the bottom near the diveboard) on a hot summer day to pay for a lunch.
2007-05-01 10:51 PM

Veteran
BGT- Have you ever had accupuncture? There is a complimentary treatment to the vitro western med that is eastern med. Look for an acu who studied for 5 years and has been in practice for 10 or more years. They can get more blood flow to the uterus before and after the in vitro procedure
2007-05-02 12:01 AM

User image

ok gang, Im off to Florida for a little R and R and maybe even some Tri training. Im plannign a few workouts for when I am there, I actually really like running when I am traveling because I get to see more of the city in a different way. Ill check in when I get back and let you know how it all went in the 80 deg weather. My body is probably going to go into shock.

BTW, RObb, Im totally up for your challenge. My april numbers were pretty good!:
Bike: 14h 6m 30s - 212.19 Mi
Run: 6h 36m 40s - 29.15 Mi
Swim: 4h 57m - 14600 Yd
I cant remember how those compare but we'll see at the end of May.

Thanks to all of you for all the encouraging notes on my training logs-- it really keeps me inspired!
2007-05-02 5:18 AM
in reply to: #783064

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-05-01 9:44 AM

I am at home waiting for the roof guy to come so like Robb I have time on my hands. I converted Prof's challenge cause I need stuff to do while I wait.

May distance challenge:

run 50 miles = 80km
bike 100 miles= 160 km
swim 5000 yards= 4572 meters

hope that helps my peeps across the pond. BGT

Ok, your new title is Minister of Conversions. I'll leave it up to you to make sense of our differing distances and unite us in a global unit of measurement.

And good point about the past challenges. So yours was to swim 880 lengths in a month? That's 22,000 yards! I bet you're the only one who hit that goal!

Or was it to swim 880 yards straight?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72