BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2008-04-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Oh, bummer!  Those dang work people...don't they know you are the king mentor and need to see your mentees in person?  Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy your time in Texas...Y'ALL! 

I'm so glad your shoulders feeling good and you've been given clearance to ride.  I love riding in the spring.  Mornings are just beautiful.  Are you still doing PT?  What about training for IM in Nov?  Is it a go?

2008-04-26 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1363712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela!

I haven't had enough time to train the head of Bank of America yet! LOL!

Still doing PT! My starting training window is May 25. I figure that if I can be in the water by July, I'll be fine. So I think IM Arizona is a go! I have an excellent physical therapist. He was a PT for a major baseball team when they won the World Series. So I'm in good hands!

Woooooooo Hooooooooo!

Rich
2008-04-27 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Birthday Rumor!!!!
Ya know....I heard a rumor that it is someone's birthday on Monday.....now who could that be? Katz? Can ya help us out? Do you know if someone is having a birthday on Monday? Hmmmmmmmmmm......could it be you?

Happy Birthday, Katz!

Rich
2008-04-27 9:27 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Happy Birthday Katz!  I hear you're 21 again!  I love that age!  Take care and have a fabulous day!

2008-04-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1365434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
I'm really impressed that you remembered! Yup...I'm 21 again, today!!  Woo hoo! Party, party, party!!!!
2008-04-28 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
Happy B-Day Katz!!!

How's everyone's training coming along?

My Half Iron is next weekend!!! Any tips Rich???

Take care,

FR

2008-04-29 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Katz...hope you are recovering from your party!

Hey Felipe! Best of luck on your first HIM! I'm quite sure you will do fine! Advice?

1) Make sure you use a checklist to make sure you have everything you need!
2) Don't forget your nutrition bottles (like I did) back at the hotel!
3) Walk the transition area.....know where you exit the water, where your bike is located, where you mount line, your dismount line, the route you plan on taking to rack your bike and how to exit for the run!
4) On the swim....find a pace you can maintain your form and technique
5) Remember in T1: Slow is smooth, smooth is faster!
6) Go out easy and bring your heart rate down to a good rate Zone 2 to 3!
7) On the bike, find a pace that you "should" go at, not at what you "could" go at!
8) Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition!
9) Remember in T2: Slow is smooth, smooth is faster!
10) Find an easy pace on the run
11) Save yourself for Mile 8.5 to Mile 9....then start counting the racers you pass!
12) Take it on home and remember.....HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Go get em' Felipe! Look forward to hearing your race report!

Rich
2008-04-30 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

rich ,

thanks for the tips! Nutrition is key!

I am very excited, just now getting over a cold. Didn't even go to work for 2 days. I didn't want to jeaopardize my race...

Rich, what about nutrition the last couple of days, carbo load on friday night?

Glad you are doing great, sounds like work is keeping you crazzzyy busy!!

Hope everyone else is great and that Kat YOU HAD an awesome birthday!

2008-05-01 12:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Just arrived back in LA from Dallas.....waiting for my luggage.

Pre-Race Nutrition should be your normal nutrition with some carbs two nights before your race! If it is the night before, it may weigh you down. I do complex carbs....wheat pastas. Don't overdue it! Nutrition before the race......Ensure, banana, oatmeal,

And don't forget to hydrate starting a couple days before your race. Very important to start your race fully hydrated.

Have a GREAT race!

Rich
2008-05-01 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Htnak you for your advice Rich!!

Hope everyone has a great day.

I am already getting the Pre-Race excitment high! OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAA
2008-05-02 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

FELIPE, CARU -- Have a great time at your race!  I'm sure you will both tear it up!

RICH, you must be SO happy to get back on the bike. Good for you!  Sounds like you are progressing like a rocket.  When's your next race planned for?

I'm doing 6 weeks of PT - I have tendonitis (patella tendon) and damage to my sciatic nerve.  No one can say how long it may take to recover, but I keep testing the limits. :-) Trying to work it/use it without tweaking it again.  Mostly yoga and swimming; but cycling and running are gong to pick up after next week.  I miss training full-out SOOOOO much.  RICH, I'm sure you can relate.

Our first open water swim of the season is next weekend -- I can't wait!  And it's my nieces big try-out.  My goal for us is to have fun and make it around the lake.  Pray for us. ;-)

2008-05-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1377671

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello, hello, everyone!  So great to be hearing back from everyone!  Sounds like we're off to a fantabulous start to the 2008 season!

So, if you've been reading my logs lately, you know that I've been having health issues lately.  Lots of dr visits and ultrasounds and stuff like that to figure out why my lower abs hate me.  Well, I think we finally may have it figured out...at least I hope so. Some adjustments to my meds may just do the trick, so we'll give it a try and see how I feel in a few days.  At the very least, we know it's not anything serious, and I'm getting pretty good at treating my symptoms.  So the 90-mile GASP (charity cycling ride) is on! Obviously, I won't be breaking any land-speed records, but I do hope to make it all the way!

With all of the health crazies, I haven't been working out much lately, but I've discovered that I can cycle and swim without too much trouble.  Running is out until things are settled down a bit more - it's just too uncomfortable right now. But like I said, I'm hoping all will be well in the next few days.

Felipe and Caru, go kick some butt at your race! You two are totally impressive, you know....I can only dream of running as fast as you do! Can't wait to hear your reports...

Cristine - ow ow ow ow....PT is so not fun.  Take care of yourself and that knee.  I hope you feel better soon, and I love your great attitude!

Rich - great to see you making such great progress! You'll be back in the water in no time at this rate!

Angela - the Danskin is coming soon!  I totally want to get with you the Friday before the race while you're here! Let me know your schedule and where you're staying and we'll make plans!

Love y'all bunches!!

2008-05-02 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

Guys!

It's so awesome to hear from everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know what PT and all injuries and colds will be done and over, we are officially at the first week of SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRIATHLON SEASON...YEAH BABY!!!!

So, now we can reflect upon our last year goals..and how far we have all come...it's really unbelievable...

thank you RICH for all yoru support, you have been UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY a support like no other..when they ask me who trained me last summer, I say Rich and not the guy that I actualyl paid to train me !!! ha!!! thats nutty!!!

Anyways,send you all love and I know I will be thinking of you all on my race, just like I did on my Olympic distance race last year!!1 although this is not my A race, it is particularly special since I will be doing it with Felipe and there are only 80 people racing(  we are VERY concerned about being the last ones out of the water!!! hahahah) thank GOD we are good runners!!!!!

Anyways,send u all love and have happy training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2008-05-03 9:40 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hello Everyone!

Caru & Felipe...Good Luck on the HIM!  Go Sister/Brother team!

Christine...Ouch, Girl!  Take care of yourself.  How old is your niece that's racing the tri?  Looks like her aunt is rubbing off on her...she's got the tri bug, too!

Katz...I sent you a PM regarding Danskin.  I'm planning on meeting up with you on Friday night.  Have a great ride today!

Rich...you're a lean mean fighting machine!  PT is your b****! (did I just say that??)

Enjoy your weekend!   

2008-05-03 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1379573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey, hey, hey!  I did the GASP!  85.5 miles in the saddle and I didn't even bonk!  There were plenty of other folks struggling, but I paced myself well and cruised right in!  It ws a beautiful course, a beautiful day, and a beautiful tailwind for good portions of the way.  I'll be sore tomorrow, but it will be worth it!

Oh, and by the way, my 8-year-old daughter is doing her kid's tri in the morning.  I'll post pictures later.....

2008-05-04 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Ohh it is soooo good to hear everyone checking in! You're doing Fantabulous....Awesome isn't cutting it any longer!

I got to ride my bike this weekend.....Did a 75 mile ride in 4 hrs along with a little spill....I'm OK.....I landed on my left side to protect my right shoulder. Knee road rash and left butt cheek took the brunt of the fall....I hit gravel and slid, but the bike is OK! Thank goodness I have more than one PTC riding / race gear!

Hydrostatic weight test this week to get a reading how much I need to loose before IM AZ!

Going to start attending team bricks on Wednesday nights. 1 hr bike; 1 hr run!

KATZ....Great ride! Excellent on your pacing!
Caru and Felipe.....have a fantastic race! Looking forward to your race report!
Christine and Angela.......keep up the GREAT work and keep us posted on your upcoming events!

2008-05-05 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Bragging on my little girl - fair warning!

So my 8-year-old, Liana, completed her 2nd kids' tri yesterday.  Despite having a crash on her bike, she beat her last time by more than 2 minutes!  She did the 100m swim, 3 mile bike, and 1K run in 31:21. Her run was particularly fast - I couldn't believe her stride and determination! I was totally impressed!  The race was so much fun...they started the kids in the pool by sending them down the big swirly slide every 10 seconds - too much fun!  It was an awesome experience, and I'm so very proud.  Liana's next race will be June 28, and her younger brother will take his first stab at a tri at that race as well!  He's chomping at the bit to get in on the action.  Should be pretty hilarious.

If you'd like to see a few photos of the most adorable triathlete in the world, check out my training log.

Edited by katzchen55 2008-05-05 9:37 AM
2008-05-05 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

Quick update!

WE HAD AN AMAZING TIME BLAST BLAST BLAST OF A TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fELIPE: 4:42

Caru: 5:25

we both won our age groups...i just got an e mail where the race director corrected it since the girl that won my age group CHEATED! i passed her, she got in a car and appeared at mile 10!!!!! she also was trying to qualify for olympics swim or something like that!!!

Two other athletes saw her cheating! amazing.... nonetheless...i had the most amazing time, people where awesome, the race course fabulous!!! ill write my report  as soon as i can..

thank you all, pipe and I thought of you guys all the way!!!! and i did the 15 minute before nad after in the little ring (on bike) after you RICH!!! HAHAH!!!

SEND U ALL MY LOVE!!! 

2008-05-05 1:42 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

You have got to be kidding about the cheating girl!  That's just crazy!  I'm so glad she got caught.  Congratulations Caru!  Just Fantabulous!  (isn't that our new buzz word)   Congrats to you to Felipe!  Both of you winning your AG is awesome! 

Katz, you've passed on the tri bug to your kids!  That's great!  I wish we could begin our swim with a ride down the slide.  I'd probably do alot better!  Too cute...

Rich, you fall on the other shoulder and all you really care about is that your bike is okay.  Now, that's a true athlete!  Be careful out there...let's keep you in one piece!

So I participated in my first tri of the season and........................................I rocked it!  I wanted to beat my first tri time ever of 1:42 by coming in at 1:30.  Well, I did it and then some...my official time was 1:28:12!!!  And looking back, I still had a lot left in my tank.  I need to learn how to really push it especially on the sprints.  Good news is I still have lots of room for improvement.  Next tri is in June.  My goal is to beat last year's time...especially on the swim and run. 

Have a great week Team Miller!  I'm so glad everyone is off to a great start this season...with crazy injuries and illnesses and all!  Keep moving forward!   

2008-05-05 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey everyone, it's spring season, and you know what that means, it's time for me to check in! It only takes me a whole season to finally do that, THANKS for not giving up on me! I'm sure I've missed a bunch of entries, but have read up on the most recent to have somewhat of a clue on what is going on.

Caru and Felipe, congrats on the tri. That's awesome!

Katz, I only hope that my six year old takes to tris soon. She still has a fear of swimming alone, hopefully this summer she can get over that!!! That's great that you have a new trister in your family. Good luck to you and Angela on the upcoming race (or did I miss that now???)

Christine and Rich, I can relate to being injured. I've been carrying the discomfort of a pulled hamstring for four weeks now. Some days I think it's gone, but then the next it's there and it's tight. Very frustrating. It has affected my run times significantly, it's a huge step backwards for me. I hope that your PT and med adjustments work well for you and that you are back to full force in no time.

I launched my season at St. Anthony's last weekend through Team in Training. I posted my times (on my training schedule) but they are nothing to brag about. There is a story behind it, I won't get into it here because I'm tired and need to go to bed. You can read up on it at www.energyunplugged.blogspot.com.

The scary thing is that even though I'm not at full force with my hamstring injury (90-95% recovered), I am still pushing forward in doing the Florida half a in less than two weeks. My training was thrust down the toilet with my injury, but I'm looking at some of the times from last year, and I figured that even if I wasn't able to get up to peak training, I think I can still finish and get the medal. (Hey, I can at least try for the race fee I paid, right?)

My biggest concern is guaging hydration (this Michigan girl thinks Florida is already HOT!), nutrition, and simply not further injuring myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been checking out the slowtwitch.com forums, they have been extrememly valuable. I highly recommend you check out that site, I've found it very informative.

Despite the fact that I've been so busy, I've already signed up for other triathlons and another event through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'm joining the truly crazy people and have committed to run a marathon. (It's held in Dublin, so it can't be all bad...can you say pit stop at Guinness Brewery? hahah!) I signed up for triathlons because I didn't like to run...and look what happened. I signed up for a half ironman at the end of last summer (moment of insanity), and now a marathon...I'M NUTS and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Well, I'm off to bed. Playing single mom this week while Gary is out of town on a photoshoot. Who knows when I'll check in again, but please know that I do read your posts when I have time at work -- I just don't always get a chance to respond.

Big hugs to everyone!!!!

Andi

(dscott_group.jpg)

(LauraBennett.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dscott_group.jpg (30KB - 23 downloads)
LauraBennett.jpg (32KB - 27 downloads)
2008-05-05 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1381836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Katz!

Absolutely adorable! Please give my hearty CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter! Those photos are precious!

Rich

2008-05-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1382100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Can't wait to read your race report and Felipe's too! You guys were cookin! And AG Winners! Excellent Job! Whoooooooo Hooooooo! I'm stoked!!!

(I won't get on my shopbox about the cheater! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!)

Rich
2008-05-05 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1383706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi!

You have the bug real bad!!!!!! Triathlon and now a marathon in Dublin? I'm sorry to say there is no cure other than to keep doing triathlons, marathons and century bike rides. Does your chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society have a "Triple Crown" award? If so, might as well go for it!

I have to read your blog/training log! THANKS for posting the pics, too! We have a saying in one of the clubs I belong to......if there are no pics, it didn't happen!

Let us know how Florida goes and keep us posted!

Rich M
2008-05-07 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks!  Just wanted to let you know that I have a new article up on BT....just in case you'd like to check it out.

We now returned to our regularly scheduled mentoring....

Edited by katzchen55 2008-05-07 1:51 PM
2008-05-10 12:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang.....it is official.....I can get back in the water!!!! I'm sooooooo stoked!!!!

During my PT session today, the PT and I viewed my swim workshop video so he could understand the swim stroke method. He was thinking the "normal" swim stroke which puts a lot more stress on the shoulders. After viewing the video multiple times, he said that the method doesn't put a lot of stress very little. So the plan is this:

300 yds on Saturday
600 yds on Monday
900 yds on Wednesday
1200 yds on Friday

We will evaluate the shoulder at next Friday's physical therapy session. If all goes well, it will be my last physical therapy session. So 11 to 12 weeks post surgery and I'm back into it!

My goal was to be back in the water by July.....being back in the water in May will do! Did I tell you I'm stoked?

Rich M

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46