BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-15 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1274162

User image

Master
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

gator416 - 2008-03-15 9:59 PM What do you think, should I look into getting a road bike? I have a new mountain bike I got last year (picture in my album) and it's great for riding on trails and such, but I'm not sure if it will cut it doing a triathlon. Is it really that big of a difference or do you think everyone will have all sorts of bikes since it's just a sprint tri?

There will be every sort of bike at a sprint.  From full on aero Tri-specific bikes, to bikes with baskets, and bells and tassels on the handle bars (Seriously....  It happens.)

My two cents.  Use your MTB.  Have it tuned up.  Put some slicks (road tires) on it, and go have fun.  If you decide you want to do another tri, and then another..... Get a road bike.... And then, maybe..... go from there. 

YMMV.

2008-03-15 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

I got a new bike (frame) too!!!

My wonderful supportive BF bought me a frame that will actually fit me. The bike I've been riding has been great. Someone gave me the frame and BF built it for me. It was really way too big for me and might be the cause of some of my back issues. (54cm...) This is It!

There a some more picture in my album. 

I'll ride the old bike for the Galveston race because of shipping and building time constraints .

How about that for a cool surprise.  You guys must have great bike juju and it rubbed off on me.

Edited by denny.l 2008-03-15 11:19 PM
2008-03-15 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1274211

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Aviator1596 - 2008-03-15 11:12 PM

gator416 - 2008-03-15 9:59 PM What do you think, should I look into getting a road bike? I have a new mountain bike I got last year (picture in my album) and it's great for riding on trails and such, but I'm not sure if it will cut it doing a triathlon. Is it really that big of a difference or do you think everyone will have all sorts of bikes since it's just a sprint tri?

There will be every sort of bike at a sprint. From full on aero Tri-specific bikes, to bikes with baskets, and bells and tassels on the handle bars (Seriously.... It happens.)

My two cents. Use your MTB. Have it tuned up. Put some slicks (road tires) on it, and go have fun. If you decide you want to do another tri, and then another..... Get a road bike.... And then, maybe..... go from there.

YMMV.

I agree with Bennet, Heather.  My friend Emily that got me started has used her old 50.00 garage sale mountain bike for 3 sprints! She couldn't even get into her small chain ring during the Danskin. 

Emily put road tires on her bike...that might be an idea.  ...

Where can I find some of those pink tassels for my aero bars?

Les 

2008-03-16 1:16 AM

User image

Los Angeles

So I hope this isn't such a dumb question (and girly at the same time) - what should I wear race day? I am looking at tri-suits, tankinis & shorts, etc. Totally confused on what to buy and wear.

Also, do I just wear the trisuit under my wetsuit? Do I wear it as a swimsuit, if I don't need a wetsuit? Do I wear a swimsuit and throw shorts and a shirt over it in transition? Totally confused on what to buy.

2008-03-16 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Great question, ldubbe! I have wondered the same thing.

I have been confused also. I have a tri top for the team and bike shorts that I train in but have NO idea what I should wear for the tri itself. What about support bras for big chested women? Are there any ones that you can swim in that dry quickly? Do I just wear my super duper support bra and have it wet all day? I have to have it on to run or take the chance of black eyes. Thanks for any advice you girls can offer. jo
2008-03-16 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I've been wondering the same thing Lisa. I was looking at getting a trisuit. Seemed like that would be the easiest thing since you don't have to change anything, one less thing to think about.

2008-03-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1273426

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

teash - 2008-03-15 9:49 AM I did it! I am officially registered for my first tri! Got the Nerve? Triathlon on May 24th in Mt. Gretna PA. Sprint length. I am also going to do a 5K race also in April as a warm-up. I am afraid that I don't actually got the nerve!!!! A big Thank You to my husband for twisting my arm this morning until I did it. Peace, Leticia

Hey!  Congratulations, Leticia!  That is so exciting!

-Lora

2008-03-16 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1274314

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
ldubbe - 2008-03-16 1:16 AM

So I hope this isn't such a dumb question (and girly at the same time) - what should I wear race day? I am looking at tri-suits, tankinis & shorts, etc. Totally confused on what to buy and wear.

Also, do I just wear the trisuit under my wetsuit? Do I wear it as a swimsuit, if I don't need a wetsuit? Do I wear a swimsuit and throw shorts and a shirt over it in transition? Totally confused on what to buy.

I think those Tankinis are super sexy...but that's just me. Laughing

2008-03-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1274775

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Denny, that is a super cool looking frame there!!! I can't wiat to see picsd when it is done!!!!
2008-03-16 8:48 PM

Veteran
I bought trishorts and a tri tankini. I wear it as a swim suit since theyre built to go through the swim. If i wear a wet suit, it goes on right over my shorts and top.

Sarah
2008-03-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1275146

User image

Los Angeles

coldheat - 2008-03-16 6:48 PM I bought trishorts and a tri tankini. I wear it as a swim suit since theyre built to go through the swim. If i wear a wet suit, it goes on right over my shorts and top. Sarah

Thanks Sarah. I actually went to a great triathlon shop yesterday and bought myself the same thing. I tried on a one-piece trisuit, and it was not only painful getting on, but it also pretty much took a chunk out of my self esteem! Seriously, I think that two piece is the way to go - i felt like I had more freedom of movement and more comfortable. I guess I will see in May.

If anyone is ever in the LA area and wants to go to a great shop, where they are super nice and informative, check out Triathlete Zombies (http://triathletezombies.com/). There is a store in Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. I know I will be back before my first tri.

Lisa

2008-03-17 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I think I'm just going to wear my one piece swimsuit during my swim, then throw on my bike shorts over top it during my bike and then switch to a regular pair of quick-drying shorts during my run.  Of course, this plan is based on not having to wear a wetsuit which would throw this off.

Will this even work?

- Lora

2008-03-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1275957

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn. My wife is gonna kill me. Since my bike has been adjusted to fit better, I decided I could ride it with out bothering the pulled muscles. Well i rode, and all was good, until I crashed again! the seat slammed my inner thigh, right were the previous injury is. I can barely walk, and I have to oick my son up from daycare. I am gonna castch all kinds of ka-ka to night. That will be worse than the injury itself. I have ice on it, and as soon asI feel I can hobble to the bathroom, I am gonna take 800mg of Ibuprfin. Anyone have a spare room I can sleep in??? I might need one when the wife gets home.
2008-03-17 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1276089

User image

Veteran
I'm supposed to be going to get some shoes and pedals tomorrow...but you are starting to scare me that it is more dangerous than I thought!!!!
2008-03-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1276096

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

aber4 - 2008-03-17 12:13 PM I'm supposed to be going to get some shoes and pedals tomorrow...but you are starting to scare me that it is more dangerous than I thought!!!!

only if your as stoopid as I am. First fall was one of those "it happens" second fall was 100 % "dumb ask." Oh make sure you are fitted for your bike before buying pedals...maybe even have them recheck you after you put the pedals on.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-03-17 12:58 PM
2008-03-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1276228

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Injury update: Doc says IO have to got to PT, I have an apointment with them Thursday morning at 0930. Doctor put me on light duty. Light Duty is the Suck! I am bummed big time. I am dispairaged.  Im gonna talk to the PT guys to see if I can ride or not. I know I can't run. I should be able to swim. The April Ri is definetly on hold now. The 4 sprints I was wanting to do are actually a series, so I really wanted to be able to do them all.

Oh, I told the wife I slipped getting out of the shower. Yeah I know, I lied, and I am ashamed of it, but with evrything else I just could not handle the crap I was gonna catch from her if I would have told her the truth. I will be on here, hanging out and cheering the rest of you all on!!!

Oh... and don't let my mistakes scare you off...I am an idiot...you will do better than I have, I am sure.

2008-03-18 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1278227

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Oh Rueben -- Big bummer. Take care of yourself.

Lora -- Sounds like a good plan for what to wear. Could you just put your wetsuit over the shorts, etc. if you want to wear that? I'm not sure what I'm wearing. I need to put a jog bra on under a suit or I may wear a quick drying tri top and bike shorts with little padding under my wetsuit. Then slip on some baggier shorts over my tri bike shorts for the bike and run. I don't like that tight fitting stuff on my backside. I'm still pondering though. I am wearing socks with my bike shoes and then changing to my asics for the run. I got some of the quick laces that you just pull tight and will be experimenting with those.

Oh --- Big News about the LA Danskin -- Registrations open Thursday March 20th and it's going to be in Disneyland, but I'm not sure where the swim will be. Hopefully more details on Thursday.

Lynn
2008-03-18 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1278227

User image

Veteran
ditchdoc - 2008-03-18 11:35 AM

Injury update: Doc says IO have to got to PT, I have an apointment with them Thursday morning at 0930. Doctor put me on light duty. Light Duty is the Suck! I am bummed big time. I am dispairaged. Im gonna talk to the PT guys to see if I can ride or not. I know I can't run. I should be able to swim. The April Ri is definetly on hold now. The 4 sprints I was wanting to do are actually a series, so I really wanted to be able to do them all

That sucks!!!! Sorry to hear that and hope it heals faster than expected!

I'm just about to mount up on my bike for the first time with aerobars, shoes, and pedals...hope I don't crash...especially since the bike is still on the trainer!!!

2008-03-18 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Here's a training question for you veterans:

I am about 5 weeks from my sprint tri ... I need to kick it in gear.  Probably 5 days a week I have the opportunity to train 2 hours or so.  I have really enjoyed the weight lifting so I hate to give it up entirely but I'm thinking that it affects my ability to put in the type of workouts in the 3 events that I need to do to get ready for that race.

Is it still important at this phase to continue that or should I just go to do the swim, bike, run workouts with yoga and abs?  Both the swim and run in this tri are short enough they won't be a problem but I do want to work both aggressively for other races this summer AND to try to catch back up to some people after my swim.

Any suggestions???? 

2008-03-18 11:46 PM
in reply to: #1279662

User image

Los Angeles

lmscozz - 2008-03-18 8:42 PM Oh Rueben -- Big bummer. Take care of yourself. Lora -- Sounds like a good plan for what to wear. Could you just put your wetsuit over the shorts, etc. if you want to wear that? I'm not sure what I'm wearing. I need to put a jog bra on under a suit or I may wear a quick drying tri top and bike shorts with little padding under my wetsuit. Then slip on some baggier shorts over my tri bike shorts for the bike and run. I don't like that tight fitting stuff on my backside. I'm still pondering though. I am wearing socks with my bike shoes and then changing to my asics for the run. I got some of the quick laces that you just pull tight and will be experimenting with those. Oh --- Big News about the LA Danskin -- Registrations open Thursday March 20th and it's going to be in Disneyland, but I'm not sure where the swim will be. Hopefully more details on Thursday. Lynn

Lynn, I just went online to check out the LA Danskin and it let me register even though it said it wasn't open until Thursday. I will check my credit card to see if went through, but it looked official when I signed up. Everyone kept saying how fun this tri is on the forum, so now I am all excited about it.

Lisa

2008-03-19 12:18 AM
in reply to: #1279719

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ldubbe - 2008-03-18 9:46 PM

Lynn, I just went online to check out the LA Danskin and it let me register even though it said it wasn't open until Thursday. I will check my credit card to see if went through, but it looked official when I signed up. Everyone kept saying how fun this tri is on the forum, so now I am all excited about it.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa -- I just signed up too. Check out the clothes clearance some good deals.

2008-03-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1274417

User image

Eastern PA
jogo - 2008-03-16 9:22 AM

Great question, ldubbe! I have wondered the same thing.

I have been confused also. I have a tri top for the team and bike shorts that I train in but have NO idea what I should wear for the tri itself. What about support bras for big chested women? Are there any ones that you can swim in that dry quickly? Do I just wear my super duper support bra and have it wet all day? I have to have it on to run or take the chance of black eyes. Thanks for any advice you girls can offer. jo

I decided to go with tri shorts and a singlet (TYR) with a Champion Powerback sports bra. I have no idea yet how the bra will be when it is wet, but it seems like its doing a good job dry! The powerback came in the size I needed. I think there is a whole thread on the bra topic if you search the forums.... they were recommending a brand called Moving Comfort, I think.

Leticia
2008-03-19 4:50 PM

Veteran
some singlets have it all built in!! thats what i have...theyre awesome
2008-03-19 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Count me in on the Danskin too! I signed up... petrified as ever as I have yet to do my first tri. You never know...one may be enough. I went ahead and bought the ankle strap for the chip... have no idea if that is needed...but it sounded like a good idea. I was thrilled that it was moved to Disneyland, figure I would take the kids to Disney too.

We must all meet up there. Les... I think you should make a CA trip! BTW... I saw the danskin tri suit is on sale... any clue what the inseam is? I can't do short shorts :-)

Elizabeth
2008-03-19 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Man..I wish I could come to LA. My Austin Danskin is June 8th...I don't think I could do both! I love Disneyland.

Just to throw my attire experience in: I have some tri shorts and wore a stretchy tank to my race last year.  I thew a t shirt on over the top for the mini that I did and that was a mistake.  The tank was not coolmax, drifit or other wiking fast drying fabric and I won't wear it again.  It retained too much moisture and was heavy in the swim.  I am looking for something else.  I have a great bra (sorry guys if this is too much info) It's a Nike Revolutionary sports bra. It dries really fast. I get a catalog from a company called title9 It has the best selection of bras I've seen.  I am thinking about getting a tri suit.  I've got to decide on something quickly! Nine days to the race!

There is a lot of hard work going in out there. You guys are doing great!

Les 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52