BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-06-20 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
Hi Manatees!

I'm in Virginia this weekend for my niece's graduation. Another weekend, another trip out of state....

I have another sprint coming up next weekend so I thought it would be good to get some swimming in with my wetsuit. You might remember that I had a problem breathing during my race a couple of weeks ago.

So I went to the pool on Wednesday and did a couple of laps and started having the same problems. I was short of breath, my stroke was off, things just didn't feel right. So when I stopped to catch my breath I figured out that the problem was that I didn't pull the wetsuit up enough on my torso so I wasn't stretching out as far as I normally did without the suit. I didn't realize something so simple could make such a difference! I did an OWS with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law yesterday and it went a lot better. I was able to relax and swim almost as well as I did in the pool!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody!

Art

2009-06-21 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2231087

User image

Melon Presser
reid15 - 2009-06-21 7:53 AM Hi Manatees! I'm in Virginia this weekend for my niece's graduation. Another weekend, another trip out of state.... I have another sprint coming up next weekend so I thought it would be good to get some swimming in with my wetsuit. You might remember that I had a problem breathing during my race a couple of weeks ago. So I went to the pool on Wednesday and did a couple of laps and started having the same problems. I was short of breath, my stroke was off, things just didn't feel right. So when I stopped to catch my breath I figured out that the problem was that I didn't pull the wetsuit up enough on my torso so I wasn't stretching out as far as I normally did without the suit. I didn't realize something so simple could make such a difference! I did an OWS with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law yesterday and it went a lot better. I was able to relax and swim almost as well as I did in the pool! Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody! Art
Great news on the wetsuit adjustment and I'm so glad the OWS went well! Yes ... stretching out to breathe ... literally giving oneself room to breathe makes a world of difference!
2009-06-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2231678

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Well Manatees - another Monday, another start of a new week. I love Mondays ... so much promise and hope for a good week - it's like starting over 4 times a month. ;-)

I am going to the gym to do what I can this morning ... we'll see how the stationary goes - and I've been cleared to hit the weights again (as usual tho - as long as it's pain-free) ... so I am looking forward to that.

Then home to do some lesson planning ... I'm teaching a "yoga intensive" to a group this week - we are meeting every day this week for private classes ... so I must put some lesson plans together that really build off each other.

See - a great start to the week! Now if only I could get some paying clients this week. Please send money vibes my way, Manatees!

Edited to say: Oops I forgot - the reason I started this diatribe - the New Balance Tri was yesterday ... I was registered to do the sprint. I was sad yesterday. I didn't even go watch. I laid on the couch all morning with a book feeling sorry for myself - all I want to do is be healthy, injury-free, and be able to train and race. ;-(
Ahhh .. it'll come.

Edited by SpiritFire 2009-06-22 10:08 AM
2009-06-22 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Hi Manatees!

I've now run 3 times since last Thursday! Twice running 5 minutes out of every 10 and walking 5, and today I progressed to 7/3 run/walk. So far so good. I also worked out with weights today for the first time since I got hurt. We worked out arms and core. I'm still going to the chiro 3x a week for decompression therapy. It seems to be working.

TR, I hope things went ok at the gym today. I'm sorry you were sad about your tri yesterday. It's too bad you couldn't race. But soon you'll be better and ready to begin training for another. Great attitude about Mondays and fresh starts. I'm going to remember that. Good luck with your yoga class!
2009-06-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2234485

User image

Master
Utah

mammatri's - 2009-06-22 12:42 PM Hi Manatees!

I've now run 3 times since last Thursday! Twice running 5 minutes out of every 10 and walking 5, and today I progressed to 7/3 run/walk. So far so good. I also worked out with weights today for the first time since I got hurt. We worked out arms and core. I'm still going to the chiro 3x a week for decompression therapy. It seems to be working.

TR, I hope things went ok at the gym today. I'm sorry you were sad about your tri yesterday. It's too bad you couldn't race. But soon you'll be better and ready to begin training for another. Great attitude about Mondays and fresh starts. I'm going to remember that. Good luck with your yoga class!

Hey-do you know anything about the use of lasers with patients with injuries or chronic pain? There's a chiro here in Salt Lake that was advertising treatment for back pain/injury patients last week. he mentioned both decompression therapy and laser therapy--and of course had several testimonials from patients (which always makes me wary, to be honest). He's offering a free laser therapy session--supposedly an hour plus session, with great results in pain reduction. I'm thinking of signing my hubby up. He's had surgery for a blown disk at age 26 and chronic pain for 10-ish years now. I am sure he has blown at least one more disk since his surgery. Does anyone have any experience or any thoughts? It would sure be nice to get him active again, and maybe even get him tri'ing. 

2009-06-22 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Utah

I've been around, just lurking, and not much to say. I got sick a week or two ago, and have been feeling bad about my training, as well. I think I might have actually had the swine flu. My doc's office used the rapid flu test which is only accurate 50-70% of the time for this particular flu bug. Seeing as I was getting a little dehydrated by the time I went in, I doubt they even got a good sample for the test... and Lord knows I've been exposed to enough at work that there's any of a number of times I could have caught it from my patients (among many other viruses i have been exposed to). Add to that the fact that a few of my neighbors were diagnosed this week, and one of my daughter's friends was diagnosed a few days before I got sick... yep I probably had it. I bounced back pretty quick, though, and did a nice workout last thursday. I was on a race committee for the local tri club's annual race this past Saturday and it sent me back to bed for a day or two, but all is looking up again today. 

WOW, that was a long "quick" update! Sorry!

I like your outlook on mondays, TR. I'll have to remember that. It sure makes the bleak "yet another week stretches out before me" voice sound bitter. I like your positive take on Mondays much better.

2009-06-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2234543

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
givemashot - 2009-06-22 1:59 PM

Hey-do you know anything about the use of lasers with patients with injuries or chronic pain? There's a chiro here in Salt Lake that was advertising treatment for back pain/injury patients last week. he mentioned both decompression therapy and laser therapy--and of course had several testimonials from patients (which always makes me wary, to be honest). He's offering a free laser therapy session--supposedly an hour plus session, with great results in pain reduction. I'm thinking of signing my hubby up. He's had surgery for a blown disk at age 26 and chronic pain for 10-ish years now. I am sure he has blown at least one more disk since his surgery. Does anyone have any experience or any thoughts? It would sure be nice to get him active again, and maybe even get him tri'ing. 

No, I don't know anything about laser treatment for back injuries. Have you tried googling it? I don't know how else you'd research it. Also does health insurance cover it? Good luck.
2009-06-22 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Utah

Hey, I also noticed that my username in the group table is wrong. It's givemashot, not givemeashot. It's a pun on my job--I'm a nurse, so I give 'em a shot. Although give ME a shot sounds about right when we're talking jaegermeister or rum... . It's also a pun on giving this triathlon thing a shot, since when I joined I was months away from my first attempt at triathlon. ANYWHO, the link to my log doesn't work when it's spelled wrong, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the fun that IS my log. LOL!

2009-06-22 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Nope - I've never heard of lasers. If it's free, why the heck not try it out though.

I don't think I've ever really clarified - so just for the record - the problem with my back is a bit bizarre. I do not have an "injury" per se ... but as I make certain movements my spine does not move as it should. For example, when I bend forward and touch my toes, instead of my spine just bending it first twists to the left, then bends. This imbalance has made me ultra-flexible on my right side, and - to use my physio's words - "all bunged up" on the left side. Very uneven. So since my left hip doesn't move as it should, the improper mechanics of movement are trickling down my leg into my knee and foot. Don't know if it started in the hip and caused my back muscles to over/de-compensate, or if the back thing is what weakened my hip in the first place. Doesn't really matter, cuz we're gonna fix it either way.

It's not a serious thing - my spine itself is fine and it seems to be the soft tissues around my spine that are the culprits. So the pain I'm feeling is my back starting to move as it should - I'm discovering muscles I didn't know I had back there! And wow - walking without a slight limp for the first time in 15 years sure feels weird. ;-)
2009-06-22 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Utah

And as long as I'm complaining... Sharie I can't see your logs. Would you add me as a friend so I can leave you inspires? It might be the spelling issue at work, but just in case... would you add me? Pretty please with sugar on top?

2009-06-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2234603

User image

Master
Utah

SpiritFire - 2009-06-22 1:15 PM Nope - I've never heard of lasers. If it's free, why the heck not try it out though. I don't think I've ever really clarified - so just for the record - the problem with my back is a bit bizarre. I do not have an "injury" per se ... but as I make certain movements my spine does not move as it should. For example, when I bend forward and touch my toes, instead of my spine just bending it first twists to the left, then bends. This imbalance has made me ultra-flexible on my right side, and - to use my physio's words - "all bunged up" on the left side. Very uneven. So since my left hip doesn't move as it should, the improper mechanics of movement are trickling down my leg into my knee and foot. Don't know if it started in the hip and caused my back muscles to over/de-compensate, or if the back thing is what weakened my hip in the first place. Doesn't really matter, cuz we're gonna fix it either way. It's not a serious thing - my spine itself is fine and it seems to be the soft tissues around my spine that are the culprits. So the pain I'm feeling is my back starting to move as it should - I'm discovering muscles I didn't know I had back there! And wow - walking without a slight limp for the first time in 15 years sure feels weird. ;-)

Makes total sense to me! I used to work for a physical therapist who taught these very principles. I saw time and again how people who didn't believe that their knee pain originated in their back, or their neckpain was really stemming from their hip, and had been through so many other types of treatments, then went through her treatment and then left pain reduced and/or pain free. I am sure that the hip/low back pain I sometimes experience is due to an old knee injury. But knowing that helps me keep it in check.

2009-06-22 7:38 PM

User image

Champion
givemashot - 2009-06-22 1:59 PM

mammatri's - 2009-06-22 12:42 PM Hi Manatees!

hi AMY.

they use cold laser on my foot at my chiro, as part of the structural management protocol.

ive been pain free for over two months now.  no pain, no meds, no nothing.

prior id say i was in pain and taking meds 2-3 days out of a 7 day week.

however, in addition to the cold laser, im getting 1x a week adjustments, and i have new 'levelers' (orthotics) that i wear in my all my trng shoes...so im sure its a combo, BUT the cold laser is part of that.

one thing to keep, the laser has a cumulative effect in some patients, meaning it can take several treatments before they experience relief.  though.....in some patients the relief is immediate.  for what i understand, it all depends on how the individual responds.

in my case the relief was immediate (they were doing the cold laser for three weeks before i my levelers even came in, and i started wearing them)

my chiropractors have had some AMAZING RESULTS in their practice since starting the cold laser therapy as one of their treatment options.

id say, cant hurt.  (and it doesnt hurt btw)

its worth a shot.

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-06-22 7:42 PM
2009-06-22 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
hi everyone.

it was just a nice day today.

nice swim.  42 mins

nice run.  32 mins

nice bike.  37 mins.

even the kids were nice.

nice, nice, nice.

i needed a day like today.

nice.
stacieb
2009-06-22 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Amy,   I added you...I think!    You are now showing up on my friends list so I hope that worked.    I always thought your name was 'give-me-a-shot'!

Taper week started last night with a short bike ride which ended  a bit short due to extreme lightening.   Today was a small weight workout.  Tomorrow morning I will do a swim, Wed a run and then my plans say to rest until Sunday!    WOW!  Can't believe it is already here!!    There are 6 women, 50-54yo, in the pool swim so that is my competition.   One of them has submitted a faster swim time than me.     My kids and dh are going down the night before with me...we will stay in a hotel...and then they will be there to watch me on Sunday.

Stacie - nice that you had such a nice day!

Well, better get some supper on.

Sharie
2009-06-22 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2235611

User image

Master
Utah

ranchrunner - 2009-06-22 7:04 PM Amy,   I added you...I think!    You are now showing up on my friends list so I hope that worked.    I always thought your name was 'give-me-a-shot'!

Taper week started last night with a short bike ride which ended  a bit short due to extreme lightening.   Today was a small weight workout.  Tomorrow morning I will do a swim, Wed a run and then my plans say to rest until Sunday!    WOW!  Can't believe it is already here!!    There are 6 women, 50-54yo, in the pool swim so that is my competition.   One of them has submitted a faster swim time than me.     My kids and dh are going down the night before with me...we will stay in a hotel...and then they will be there to watch me on Sunday.

Stacie - nice that you had such a nice day!

Well, better get some supper on.

Sharie

Sharie, I am nervous enough for you, so you can just relax and know that everything is going to be great! By this time next week, you'll be a triathlete. That's the part that always blows me away--thinking past the race itself, thinking about how it will feel to have the accomplishment in the books, so to speak. 

2009-06-23 10:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2233692

Oops I forgot - the reason I started this diatribe - the New Balance Tri was yesterday ... I was registered to do the sprint. I was sad yesterday. I didn't even go watch. I laid on the couch all morning with a book feeling sorry for myself - all I want to do is be healthy, injury-free, and be able to train and race. ;-( Ahhh .. it'll come.

((hugs))
2009-06-23 2:54 PM

stacieb...looks like you had a great training day! I read your rr and I hope you are feeling better.

sharie...I am getting excited for you. I actually thought of driving up and watching your tri (I've never seen one before), but I have a swim clinic that morning. I can't wait to heard how it goes!

Beth, I just wanted to thank you for always leaving me inspires. I love to read them (I didn't see them for the longest time!) and just realized I can reply to them. But you always leave a couple a week and they really brighten my day

2009-06-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2236719

wgraves7582 - 2009-06-24 9:05 AM

For those SAHM/D with children out of school - enjoy your time with them.  We just got a pool membership so they can spend the summer in the water training to become triathletes

Have a great day!

yes, I just love summer with my kids. We just bop around town, take long bike rides, trail runs and hit the pool/Y 3x a week. I wish I could freeze my kids at this wonderful age (9 and 11) forever.
2009-06-23 5:26 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Good swim today....really good for the ego cuz there was a 30yo training for the same tri and I was faster than her!  It really was just a very good swim.    I realized the other day when I did my time trial that I was trying too hard....since then I have been working more on being long in the water, chin down, long recovery stroke (not sure if that is the right terminology)...basically the "immersion" ideas and they have helped a lot.   Now I just need to remember to put them to use on race day! LOL

A couple of questions....I haven't ever read the entire set of rules from USAT...should I?   Are there any rules that really stick out to any of you as hard to remember?     The race website has a short list of some important ones....like 'no unclipping helmet until bike is racked'.   I keep repeating that one over and over!

Also, I have never ridden my bike with anyone else and when I think of it, I get a bit worried about being in a crowd.   Any pointers for me?    I read a RR last week that said something about dumb newbies not knowing about passing rules.  The route will not have any aid stations nor will the traffic be stopped so we may have to deal with some vehicles.    Entries are at 170 right now...limited to 200.

Lauren - that would have been so cool to have you come watch!  But enjoy your class and I will report asap!   Maybe I will even slip in a quick rr from my Blackberry!!

Only other thing is that after a month or more of delightful days with dh, he has decided to be difficult again.   I don't really understand depression...maybe it is cyclical and I should expect this???   Also I am sure it is because he chose on his own to go off meds and is now back to projecting and blaming.   Arghhh.....didn't need this right now....but I feel like I am in a great space.

Thanks everyone for all the great support!!!!

Oh yeah....I decided that a good pre-race supper will be salmon.   We will be eating out and I was worried about where to go and what to eat.   I think salmon will settle well....and the rest of the family can eat steak or whatever.   

Sharie
2009-06-23 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2238103

Master
Victoria, BC
Sharie - you're gonna do awesome at your race don't worry too much about the technical stuff ... all the races I've done go over all the basic need-to-know stuff either through the race package info, or the mandatory pre-race meetings.

Basically it all boils down to this - be courteous to the other participants, don't put yourself or anyone else in danger, don't question race official's orders, and thank the volunteers. ;-)

You're gonna rock it.

Now - as for hubby and depression - oh I know how hard that is, sistah, I feel your feelings!

2009-06-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2238103

Only other thing is that after a month or more of delightful days with dh, he has decided to be difficult again.   I don't really understand depression...maybe it is cyclical and I should expect this???   Also I am sure it is because he chose on his own to go off meds and is now back to projecting and blaming.   Arghhh.....didn't need this right now....but I feel like I am in a great space.

Sharie

Well, depression is cyclical. Also, a partner's success or big endeavor can trigger it....so maybe he's feeling pissy because your big day is coming up. One of my closest friend's H is more than depressed, I think he has a borderline personality disorder and everytime she has something big in her life....a race, going back to school, even a lunch date w/ friends she has looked forward to....it seems to trigger him. He gets upset right before, gets "sick", has to work, anything to ruin her happiness. Her independance and accomplishments make him insane.

Sorry, I def. don't mean your H is doing any of that extreme behavior, I kinda went off on a tangent. But perhaps this triathlon is making him feel down for whatever reason?
2009-06-23 6:26 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Lauren  - no apologies necessary.....I have lived what you described many times.  I had thought about it being my race...and I know I can NOT let him bring me down!
2009-06-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2238164

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Why can't I just catch a friggin' break?!?
So - Manatees - I can't catch a break. I just can't. I don't know what the heck the universe is trying to teach me .. but it sucks and I don't wanna learn it.

As we all know - my back, left hip, left knee, and left ankle/foot are pretty much screwed and I am attending physiotherapy 2-3 painful times a week to fix these issues. Well - I feel I'm getting a handle on it - I'm starting to feel better, through the pain.

Today - I think my dog broke my right foot. Happy excited 80-pound Shepherd was doing his doggy joy jumpy dance when I got home from the clinic, and jumped right on my bare foot with all his weight. I swear I felt a bone go *snap* .. immediate pain, immediate swelling black & blue ... he landed right on the small bones right near my middle toe and fourth toe. There is a HUGE bruise there now, my foot is all swollen, and my little toe and fourth toe have turned blue and are really swollen. And my ankle hurts? Weird. But I can't bend my toes.

I don't know for sure it's broken - but ... it's at least badly bruised. I have a physio appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30 for the right side of my body ... why not have her diagnose the left side too.

I LOVE my dog - he's almost 16 years old, and I'm thankful and grateful that he's still that rambunctious at his age ... despite the injuries, I just can't get mad at him. ;-)

I'll keep ya'll posted.

BUT - prior to that I had a pretty crappy day. Clients all cancelled on me - yoga class was cancelled (without my knowledge, honestly, who doesn't think to tell the teacher) and my neighbour yelled at me for no reason while I was out walking said dog this morning. Told me "It's people like you that ruin this neighbourhood" ... NO idea what she was talking about. I think I'm a pretty good neighbour.

Tonight - I am tucking into that bottle of wine I've been hiding in the back of my fridge. Time to self-medicate.

Thanks for letting me vent! I love the Manatees. ;-)
2009-06-23 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2237797

Champion
LaurenCO - 2009-06-23 2:54 PM

stacieb...looks like you had a great training day! I read your rr and I hope you are feeling better.

sharie...I am getting excited for you. I actually thought of driving up and watching your tri (I've never seen one before), but I have a swim clinic that morning. I can't wait to heard how it goes!

Beth, I just wanted to thank you for always leaving me inspires. I love to read them (I didn't see them for the longest time!) and just realized I can reply to them. But you always leave a couple a week and they really brighten my day

LAUREN.  it was a great day.  i love my Monday trng schedule.....

and im feeling MUCH better thank you.  that was some RR wasnt it.  OI.  i hope to never have a bout of heatstroke ever, ever again.

AND MANATEES.....

summer schedule seems to finally falling into place what w the boys home and all.

i made a list of priorities, topping the list is enjoying the downtime i have right now.

ive prioritized my trng, and determining whats 'essential' and whats not. 

that has helped, time-wise.  just letting myself 'off the hook', knowing i dont have to struggle fitting it all in is a huge relief.

then our boat will be coming out of drydock as well.  i heart our family time on the boat.

its all good.
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-06-24 12:08 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59